Advantages Of Buying Rci Stock?

I think we all view opinions that reflect our own more favorably than those which go contrary to our thinking. In order to properly judge any opinion you need to understand the reasoning that went into forming it. :) All too frequently opinions that are expressed fail to provide that information.:confused:

With stocks that tends to be true of those who have a buy and hold or "I'm in it for the long run" mentality. I think that people who are not afraid to buy a stock and sell it at a loss a few days later if conditions change or take a quick profit if it moves up too fast tend to be a bit more objective (though certainly not always more accurate) when reading and evaluating analysts' comments of differing opinions on the same stock.

Yep, sounds like there are two different mindsets here. If you're worried about a stock, any stock, for the next 3 to 6 months then you're an active trader, not an "investor".

I feel very certain that two years from now RCL and CCL will both be way above where they are now. And I will have profitted nicely :)

If the narket is still down then, like it is now, then we'll all be crying no matter where your money is becausee we won't be able to afford little things like food & gas :)

Alan

I was also considering purchasing RCL stock as I have 4 cruises with them planned over the next year. However, I keep hearing that gas prices are going to continue to rise and some predict will hit $10 to $15 per gallon withing the next 3 years. If that is true it will affect absolutely everything. I just can't get myself to invest in a company that would be so affected by rising gas prices and a very slow economy.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Yep, sounds like there are two different mindsets here. If you're worried about a stock, any stock, for the next 3 to 6 months then you're an active trader, not an "investor".

I feel very certain that two years from now RCL and CCL will both be way above where they are now. And I will have profitted nicely :)

If the narket is still down then, like it is now, then we'll all be crying no matter where your money is becausee we won't be able to afford little things like food & gas :)

Alan

Agree.

Actually, some people think that by being an active trader that they will become rich. Many of those people expect that they will win the lottery someday, too.:D

jc

With stocks that tends to be true of those who have a buy and hold or "I'm in it for the long run" mentality. I think that people who are not afraid to buy a stock and sell it at a loss a few days later if conditions change or take a quick profit if it moves up too fast tend to be a bit more objective (though certainly not always more accurate) when reading and evaluating analysts' comments of differing opinions on the same stock.

Gee, most credible financial advisors seem to belong to the "stay in it for the long run" category and point out that, historically, over the long run, stocks, in general, have tended to increase in value and that avoiding attempts at "market timing" and disregarding temporary drops in stock prices is the best way to invest.:) They caution that jumping in and out of the market is far more risky than investing for the long run. Anyone who truly believes that cruise stocks won't eventually rebound is more pessimistic than I. But again, in this instance, a good many people who are purchasing RCI or CCL stock are doing it with discretionary funds that they can afford to put at risk, so investment strategies are really not in play in such situations.

I was also considering purchasing RCL stock as I have 4 cruises with them planned over the next year. However, I keep hearing that gas prices are going to continue to rise and some predict will hit $10 to $15 per gallon withing the next 3 years. If that is true it will affect absolutely everything. I just can't get myself to invest in a company that would be so affected by rising gas prices and a very slow economy.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I believe within the next 3 to 5 months we'll see oil prices decline (and hopefully significantly). Have you seen any of the "not so public" information that the US Government is already 6 months deep into an investigation of commodity market manipulation? And did you see what the leader of Saudia Arabia told President Bush when he was there a couple weeks back and Bush asked the Saudis to increase production? His response, "no we won't increase production, there is no shortage of oil in the marketplace".

I believe this is true. The world population didn't suddenly double in the past 2 years and cause a shortage of oil or food. There's something more to this oil price hike than that. And I suspect that the Government knows there is some sneaky things going on in the commodities market.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds in the coming few months.

I own RCI stock and I'm confident it will be a good investment for both stock price and OBC :)

Of course, I plan to hold on to it for a few years. I'm sure those of us that own RCI (or CCL for that matter) will be happy on down the way as long you just hold on to it. Don't sell it.

I'm not a market maker though - I could be wrong :eek:

One other thing - if the price of gas was $10 to $15 per gallon in the US, don't worry about a thing - because the economy of the world would collapse.

Alan

Gee, most credible financial advisors seem to belong to the "stay in it for the long run" category and point out that, historically, over the long run, stocks, in general, have tended to increase in value and that avoiding attempts at "market timing" and disregarding temporary drops in stock prices is the best way to invest.:) They caution that jumping in and out of the market is far more risky than investing for the long run. Anyone who truly believes that cruise stocks won't eventually rebound is more pessimistic than I. But again, in this instance, a good many people who are purchasing RCI or CCL stock are doing it with discretionary funds that they can afford to put at risk, so investment strategies are really not in play in such situations.

I think you are confusing investing in the market via mutual funds, index funds, spiders etc. with investing in individual stocks. What you stated certainly applies to mutual funds and the like. It is extremely hard to time the overall market. However it does not apply to the same extent for individual stocks and sectors. Although still difficult to time, if you know what you are doing you can be right more often than wrong when making decisions about when to buy and sell (you generally won't sell right at the top or buy right at the bottom, but hopefully sell near the top and buy near the bottom more often than get burned). Also realize that if your financial planner is managing your money they may have an ulterior motive; it is MUCH easier for them to not have to actively manage your portfolio. If they can convince you of the old "buy and hold" philosophy they have to do almost zero work to collect their commissions. In my opinion individual stocks should only be purchased if you plan to actively follow the company and sector and frequently reassess the outlook.

It will be interesting what happens in the next few years regarding gas. Prices in my area just hit $4.35 and I'm not seeing them going down anytime soon. Hope they do thought because it's going to affect everything if they keep rising.

I'm just using advise I learned years ago when I was in an investment club. They said if you're looking to purchase a stock research not only that company but look at the whole industry and what's happening to the industry now and in the future. Wouldn't it be great if we could predict the future!

If I currently owned RCL stock I would not sell it, I'd hold it as well. I'm talking about purchasing their stock just to get obc. I'll bet the stock price goes down before it goes back up again, that's just my prediction. We own several bank stock that have not done well because of the whole banking industry, but we're hoping for recovery in that industry in the next few years.

Everyone needs to look at their comfort level when it comes to investments and do their research.

Personally, I believe within the next 3 to 5 months we'll see oil prices decline (and hopefully significantly). Have you seen any of the "not so public" information that the US Government is already 6 months deep into an investigation of commodity market manipulation? And did you see what the leader of Saudia Arabia told President Bush when he was there a couple weeks back and Bush asked the Saudis to increase production? His response, "no we won't increase production, there is no shortage of oil in the marketplace".

I believe this is true. The world population didn't suddenly double in the past 2 years and cause a shortage of oil or food. There's something more to this oil price hike than that. And I suspect that the Government knows there is some sneaky things going on in the commodities market.

Alan

Yeah, the government is aware of some sneaky things going on alright; the main thing that would send oil significantly down would be if the governemnt annouced they were going to ramp up using our own energy resources right here in the U.S. (drilling for oil, building new nuclear plants, building new refineries etc.). This combined with energy coservation programs and continued research into alterantive energy would send oil plummeting.

As for why oil is going up, a lot of it has to do with China. They are growing at a massive rate (in terms of the amount of energy they consume) and countries like Russia, India, and Brazil are also using a lot more than in the past. This is bidding up the price of oil. Although new oil sources are still being found, for the first time in history the demand for oil is going up faster than new oil sources are being found.

Hopefully oil does come down some, but don't expect it to come down a lot; and do be prepared that by this time next year it will almost certainly be higher. The demand for oil (barring some type of major disaster that massively lessens world population) will continue to go up at a higher rate than new oil reserves will be found. What will eventually rescue us will be the discovery of a cheaper form of readily available energy. The good news is that once oil goes above a certain amount, other energy sources become economical whereas now they are too expensive to use widely. The bad news is oil still has quite a way to climb before these other energy sources are viable on a wide scale. Hopefully some new technology will make these exisiting energy sources be able to be used more economically and/or new energy sources found. This will take time and until this occurs I think we are in for a few unpleasant years in terms of fuel costs and all that impacts.

Also realize that if your financial planner is managing your money they may have an ulterior motive; it is MUCH easier for them to not have to actively manage your portfolio. If they can convince you of the old "buy and hold" philosophy they have to do almost zero work to collect their commissions. In my opinion individual stocks should only be purchased if you plan to actively follow the company and sector and frequently reassess the outlook.

Actually, I'd be more concerned with a financial planner who was constantly moving in and out of various stocks. That is generally considered "churning" and is fare more likely to generate fees and expenses for the account manager. But again we are arguing about investment strategies and that really isn't the issue with most who are purchasing RCI stock because they intend to cruise on RCCL ships with frequency. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'd be more concerned with a financial planner who was constantly moving in and out of various stocks.

I am certainly not talking about "constantly" moving in and out of stocks; that is what day traders do, not financial planners. I am talking about not simply buying a stock and forgetting about it because your "in it for the long wrong." This is a dangerous way to handle individual stocks; one should frequently monitor the health of a stock and it's sector if one has any significant amount of money invested in individual stock(s).

The worlds population hasn't doubled, but the number of cars in India and China has increased dramatically. With a combined population of almost half the people on the planet and a rapidly growing economy. US population is tiny comparatively. Hundreds of millions versus billions. Billions has a big impact on the effective supply and demand equilibrium.

Hope that the government investigation is going to solve the oil situation is like expecting to win the lottery.

jc

Hope that the government investigation is going to solve the oil situation is like expecting to win the lottery.

jc

At least the government fixed steroids in baseball. :D ;) :cool:

Looks like the stock may retest its 52 week low next week. :eek:

Some stock yesterday and I don't remember which one.....hit an 11 year low..........I'm guessing it will go below it's 52 week low......:eek:

I pitched my cruise stocks months ago, when RCL was $40 a share.

These stocks are going nowhere but down. They can't afford to park their ships and air travel is getting so expensive that it is taking away future customers. I have, in the past five years, always managed a xmas/nye cruise, but this year it won't happen because of airfare. Add that to everything else (foreclosures, inflation,high gas prices, huge heating bills, unemployment) and you'll see cruising as one of the last things on people's minds.

I pitched my cruise stocks months ago, when RCL was $40 a share.

These stocks are going nowhere but down. They can't afford to park their ships and air travel is getting so expensive that it is taking away future customers. I have, in the past five years, always managed a xmas/nye cruise, but this year it won't happen because of airfare. Add that to everything else (foreclosures, inflation,high gas prices, huge heating bills, unemployment) and you'll see cruising as one of the last things on people's minds.

I'd have been better off pitching then, too. At least the shares are not in an IRA, so I can use the tax loss I'll lock in one of these days. Two years of ownership has not produced enough OBC's and dividends to pay for the thousand dollar or so (unrealized) loss on the hundred shares. And for an assortment of reasons, we too see our future cruises declining in numbers. So this will probably not prove to be one of my more shrewd "investments". The shares will likely go bye-bye from my account after next january's Navigator cruise w/ DW. And if it plunges plenty between now & then, an even worse investment.

Now I remember why every other dollar of investments I have is either in American Funds or PIMCO for the fixed income, and I don't lose sleep and the money is well managed, and I don't see individual stocks drop 30% and have grief!

I think you are confusing investing in the market via mutual funds, index funds, spiders etc. with investing in individual stocks. What you stated certainly applies to mutual funds and the like. It is extremely hard to time the overall market. However it does not apply to the same extent for individual stocks and sectors. Although still difficult to time, if you know what you are doing you can be right more often than wrong when making decisions about when to buy and sell (you generally won't sell right at the top or buy right at the bottom, but hopefully sell near the top and buy near the bottom more often than get burned). Also realize that if your financial planner is managing your money they may have an ulterior motive; it is MUCH easier for them to not have to actively manage your portfolio. If they can convince you of the old "buy and hold" philosophy they have to do almost zero work to collect their commissions. In my opinion individual stocks should only be purchased if you plan to actively follow the company and sector and frequently reassess the outlook.

I agree with what you say about the market in aggregate and how that is not the same as single stocks.

I'm a buy and hold person, no one but me managing my money. I don't have a lot of spare cash to invest so I select my holdings carefully and for the long haul. All of my stocks pay dividends, which I reinvest. I didn't jump in and out during the internet boom; I mainly go for large established companies that I believe in and that my research shows are sound with good management teams and long term vision.

I contend that buying and selling frequently is too expensive - trading fees would eat up the profits. I can do that in my retirement plans where such fees don't apply. Everyone has to figure out what works for their situation. Being a teeny tiny small time investor, buy and hold works for me.

I contend that buying and selling frequently is too expensive - trading fees would eat up the profits.

Actually with many online investing accounts it is dirt cheap to buy and sell.

Actually with many online investing accounts it is dirt cheap to buy and sell.

Not if the amounts you are investing are small. I mean between $50 and $500. In which case, even those dirt cheap expenses make a difference as it's a higher percentage of the total available for investing. I really am Small Time.

Everything depends on a person's situation and reason for investing. I'm in it for my old age so sock away little amounts I won't touch for a long time. Even those little $5-10 charges will be Something in 40 years. I don't have a reason to sell but if I did, yes, that charge would be neglible. Over time, however, it would be a hefty sum out of my profits if I bought and sold a lot. Since I reinvest dividends, I'm buying quarterly without incurring those fees. More of my money is working for me vs paying the broker. It may only be $4 but it's MY Four Bucks.

Buy and hold fits Me. Cutting investing expenses is an important factor For Me because I don't have a lot of wiggle room on available cash. I do as much of my buying thru the company as I can to avoid as many fees as possible.

So, you shorted a couple hundred thoushsand shares last week then? That'll pay for your cruise

Alan

I wish. Unfortunately I sold off 80% of my stock portfolio several months ago to use towards purchasing my first home. Made for a great down payment, but did not leave me with too much money to play around with in the market.

Archived