Advantages Of Buying Rci Stock?

The way the rules are now, you can combine Shareholder OBC with other OBC's/Coupons such as Crown & Anchor coupons. It is always a possibility they may modify the policy at some point, but at least for now you can do this.

How about combining your onboard credits to create one giant mega-credit? With RCL, they can't be combined. For example, say you're a shareholder, and you book a special deal on a 10-night cruise that includes $150 in credit. You won't be able to tack on the $200 you're entitled to as a shareholder. Instead, the higher of the two will be used.

The above statement was from the CC story on stock perks on the home page. I am guessing they mean the WOW sale deals. You cant use any additional savings with those.

• 2 weeks later...
You get to ride the market down right along with the rest of us. :( Price for RCL has gone from $42.25 to $32.90 since the first of the year. :mad: That's about $1,000 loss. :(

Unless you sell your stock right now, you haven't lost a penny!!

There's lots of baby boomers getting to retirement age and cruising is very big these days. I think that bodes well for the cruise line industry and their stock.

And, just take a look at the history of the stock market and you'll see that it always rises in the long run. Just don't sell in the down markets.

JMO,

Alan (& Regina)

I was told that if you purchase min. 100 shares of RCI stock there are advantages. Anyone know what they are?

I wouldn't buy the stock for the sole reason of getting OBC.. You would be paying around $3,000 (based on their current stock price) for OBCs ranging from $50-$250.. It would take a lot of cruising to even recoup that investment.

Now if you are looking to invest some money in the stock market anyways, then it might not be a bad idea.

Any stock that you buy can go up or down. For a person looking at buying their stock I would look at the dividends that they pay as well as the price of the stock. We just took at 14 day land vacation that cost us more than a cruise and we stayed at family and friends houses. The cost of gasoline as well as eating out etc still makes a cruise a good bargain IMHO. You can cruise in a inside cabin cheaper than you can stay in a Comfort Suites and driving around the USA. We don't stay in an inside cabin, so our costs are more. We own our stock in our IRA so I am not worried about the ups and downs of its price. We are down about 1000 dollars on the stock, but I have used that much in OBC with the company. If I decide to stop cruising, or if RCI puts restrictions on using the stockholder credit with other credits I will sell the stock when it suits my portifolio. I bought the stock for the OBC and will keep it as I do feel it is a stock that isn't anymore at risk than other stocks. If they stop giving the OBC or don't allow it to be added to a Crown and Anchor discount etc. I will have to rethink my stand on owning several lots of share of RCI. If someone cruises alot then you can, at the present, recoup your cost of the stock, even if it drops. If you cruise just a few times, then you best do your homework before buying.

Speaking of owning RCI stock, I have my stockholder brochure and my voting shares that I need to look at and cast my votes for someone. So don't forget to vote if you are a shareholder.

We also purchased our stock within one of our IRAs. We have cruises booked within the next 12 months that assuming the OBC stays the same will in effect bring our purchase price to $18.00 a share. We made a decision when the stock was in the mid 40's or so that if it went below $30 we would buy the 100 shares - strictly for the OBC. Since the stock market in general is very volatile right now we saw no or minimal risk in sinking a minute portion of our IRA into this stock. I think it all depends on how often you cruise with RCI. We have friends who have long ago recouped the purchase price in OBCs and they paid more than we did. If you take one 7 day cruise per year it will take a long time to recover the purchase price and depending on the market it could be a bad investment. If RCI decides tomorrow to discontinue the OBC we can probably sell at a profit. If not we'll just hold it like everything else that's down right now. It seems like a no-brainer. If you have cruises planned, the OBC right now is like a guaranteed dividend. Where else can you get that deal?

If you have $3,000 in the bank at 3% interest, you will earn $90 a year. If you buy 100 shares of stock and take a two week cruise you get $250 room credit.

The more cruises you take, the more you make even if the stock price drops, its still better for us to have the stock.

If you have $3,000 in the bank at 3% interest, you will earn $90 a year. If you buy 100 shares of stock and take a two week cruise you get $250 room credit.

The more cruises you take, the more you make even if the stock price drops, its still better for us to have the stock.

By the same token, if you bought the stock at $45.00, as of today, you would have lost about $2,000. You could have taken a cruise for that money. Will it come back who knows, it might go down to the post 9/11 price of $7.00, then the OBC will not look to good.

Small point, the loss would be more like $1,500 than $2,000.

If the stock drops too much, yes you have to take a lot of cruises to make up the difference. 4 two week cruises a year gets you $1,000 in on board credits.

Small point, the loss would be more like $1,500 than $2,000.

If the stock drops too much, yes you have to take a lot of cruises to make up the difference. 4 two week cruises a year gets you $1,000 in on board credits.

Very true, if you could take 4-two week cruises per year, I was thinking of the "average " person.

By the same token, if you bought the stock at $45.00, as of today, you would have lost about $2,000. You could have taken a cruise for that money. Will it come back who knows, it might go down to the post 9/11 price of $7.00, then the OBC will not look to good.

The OBC would look just fine to me and I'd snap up a bunch more shares.

Thanks for the info. What constitutes "proof" of ownership? I don't want to bring my stock statement with all my info on it. Do you need to own it for any length of time? Can it be combined with other offers? We are taking a 14 day cruise in Feb. and already have the credit card (hopefully we will get a certificate from them and OBC from a travel agent. We are thinking of buying stock and this sounds like a no brainer.

Sorry - I accidentally hit the submit button too soon. Go to rclinvestor.com and click on shareholder benefits at the top (left) of the page and there will be a drop down menu. Choose the FAQ and the answers you need should be there. My recommendation is to scan a copy of your brokerage statement and email it to them. I had a very quick acknowledgement and confirmation that way. It has to be done before you board the ship. It isn't done onboard.

You are assuming that the stock was purchased primarily as an investment and, if so, there are a lot of better stocks to invest in than those of any cruiseline. However, if you can afford to lose your initial investment without it affecting your lifestyle, and you plan to cruise on RCCL frequently, it can make those cruises a bit more attractive financially. If you can't afford the risk of losing $3,000 or $4,500 on a stock, you really shouldn't be in the market in the first place.:rolleyes:

Regardless of the eventual price of the stock, that OBC looks pretty good each time I cruise and, to use your analogy, if the stock price once again reached a high in the 50s, your profit, dividends, and the OBCs would all seem to have been a better course than spending it all on one cruise with no return whatsoever.

Yes, just saw that article published also. Here's an excerpt:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Shares of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCL.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the world's second-largest cruise company, may be inexpensive, as investors could be overcompensating for the effects of high fuel costs and a weak U.S. economy, financial weekly Barron's reported in its June 2 edition.

Interesting reading for this thread.

Alan & Regina

I don't really agree with that analyst's persepctive. Here is another good article about RCI stock (that in my opinion is right on):

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080603/cruises_sector_snap.html?.v=1

Gonzo I tend to agree with that analyst report you found........it is interesting how analysts can very their opinions........

Just too many economic concerns out there right now for RC not to at least have raised eyebrows for the next 6 to 12 months.

Gonzo I tend to agree with that analyst report you found........it is interesting how analysts can very their opinions........

You know what they say opinions are like....:D

I was interested to find out recently that Fidelity's Magellan Fund includes RCI stock in its inventory. :)

You know what they say opinions are like....:D

I was interested to find out recently that Fidelity's Magellan Fund includes RCI stock in its inventory. :)

You know Bill..........I agree on opinions.......but some I like better than others when it is my money;)

You know Bill..........I agree on opinions.......but some I like better than others when it is my money;)

I think we all view opinions that reflect our own more favorably than those which go contrary to our thinking. In order to properly judge any opinion you need to understand the reasoning that went into forming it. :) All too frequently opinions that are expressed fail to provide that information.:confused:

Archived