Advantages Of Buying Rci Stock?

When do you need to send in the stock ownership paperwork to RCCL to prove you own it at the time of cruising? I own the stock now and will be crusing in June.

Send in the proof now. It will take time to post to your booking. Then, request an email confirmation invoice which will show the stockholder OBC has been posted. Print this out and take it with you on the cruise as proof.

If you have never bought stock before or don't where to look for a stock price, please do not buy until you learn the basics of investing. Read books, search the net, talk to friends (but ignore their "advice"), decide on a discount broker and then, and only then, should you invest. Anyone who bought RCCL in the past couple of years has probably lost a significant amount of money.

While I STRONGLY agree with the "understand what you are doing" advice (and am glad someone said it!), I have to say there is no loss until there is a sale.

Stock prices go up and down and that is the nature of the stock market. It's all "a paper loss" or "a paper gain" until you sell, at which time it is a "realized loss" or "realized gain" and the taxman will expect accurate reporting. If you want to think of it as a loss when the price is down, go right ahead. But you've lost nothing unless you sell when it's down.

Do not buy stock if you are not willing to keep track of it. Every dividend, every buy, every sell, has tax implications. You must keep track.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this thread with interest. Since its title is about advantages to buying RCL stock...Did I see somewhere (not here) that stock holders also get cruise credits? If so, does anyone know how many? Thanks for all the info.

I have been reading this thread with interest. Since its title is about advantages to buying RCL stock...Did I see somewhere (not here) that stock holders also get cruise credits? If so, does anyone know how many? Thanks for all the info.

Stockholders do not get cruise credits by virtue of owning RCI stock. If they own 100 shares or more of RCI stock they will get an OBC on their cruises, the amount of which credit will depend on the length of their cruise. When they take those cruises they will get from one to three cruise credits depending on the length of their cruise and the category of the stateroom or suite which they sail in. There is no direct relationship between owning stock and getting cruise credits.:)

While I STRONGLY agree with the "understand what you are doing" advice (and am glad someone said it!), I have to say there is no loss until there is a sale.

Stock prices go up and down and that is the nature of the stock market. It's all "a paper loss" or "a paper gain" until you sell, at which time it is a "realized loss" or "realized gain" and the taxman will expect accurate reporting. If you want to think of it as a loss when the price is down, go right ahead. But you've lost nothing unless you sell when it's down.

You are absolutely correct but I've tried to argue that with this poster ad nauseam to no avail and so I have given up trying. LOL

I understand all the details about buying the RCI stock and what I will get. My only question is that the only companies that I have worked with for buying stock are thru my 401K and thru Vanguard.

Can anyone suggest a good online stock brokerage.

Thanks,

mary

• 1 month later...

If 2 people sailing together each own 100 shares, do they each get the obc or is it once per stateroom?

Stocks down but you have to look at all stock purchases for the long term.

That was a great idea to buy it in an IRA account.

I was told that if you purchase min. 100 shares of RCI stock there are advantages. Anyone know what they are?

One often overlooked advantage is that, after you can complain repeatedly about your trips to scam compensation out of the cruise line. Then, if they get wise to you and ban you from their ships, you can con a gullible journalist into taking up your cause. They will then write a sympathetic story about how you're such a good and loyal customer, that you even own stock in the company . . . .

:cool:

One often overlooked advantage is that, after you can complain repeatedly about your trips to scam compensation out of the cruise line. Then, if they get wise to you and ban you from their ships, you can con a gullible journalist into taking up your cause. They will then write a sympathetic story about how you're such a good and loyal customer, that you even own stock in the company . . . .

:cool:

Wow - you're a brave man/woman:eek:

wish i had an extra 3 G's sitting around, or had the option to purchase individual stocks with my 401k, seems like a good price to get in at

What makes you think this is a good price? I expect it to keep going down.

What makes you think this is a good price? I expect it to keep going down.

Agreed. When oil is a major cost factor, all bets are off. Look at how the prices of airline shares (also highly dependent on oil) have tanked.

we own stock and have used it for onboard credit several times, what is the onboard credit for a 9 night, cant seem to find it, the obc for booking onboard has gone down to $100 for the 9 night,

I have had RCL stock (100 shares) for quite a few years and have received the stockholder OBC benefit 5 or 6 times, including $200 for my upcoming Explorer cruise. That $200 OBC equates to a very nice dividend on the stock ...like 5 or 6%. Anyone who wants to cruise with RCL brand ships, should seriously consider owning the minimum 100 shares. If you cruise frequently, you could recover the cost of the stock.

I have had RCL stock (100 shares) for quite a few years and have received the stockholder OBC benefit 5 or 6 times, including $200 for my upcoming Explorer cruise. That $200 OBC equates to a very nice dividend on the stock ...like 5 or 6%. Anyone who wants to cruise with RCL brand ships, should seriously consider owning the minimum 100 shares. If you cruise frequently, you could recover the cost of the stock.

The problem with this is the OBC can be modified or discontinued at any time. You can not purchase the stock primarily because you plan to use it for it's OBC benefits for several years to come and will thus do well even if the stock goes down. With the stock tanking, the economy hurting, oil rising, food rising, travel expenses rising, and RCL's profits disappearing it would not be at all surprising if they modified the OBC policy in the near future. It also would not be surprising if the stock continues to rapidly decline. If the current OBC policy remains in place then what you recommend is a good thing, but people need to realize that even if they plan to cruise with RCL a lot in the future, they still could lose money from purchasing the stock.

can you combine the obc from crown and anchor and the stockholder obc?

i know you can't combine general promotion obc but was not sure about the saving certificate obc. thanks

The way the rules are now, you can combine Shareholder OBC with other OBC's/Coupons such as Crown & Anchor coupons. It is always a possibility they may modify the policy at some point, but at least for now you can do this.

Archived