Fuel supplement to be refunded

PaulMedik

Yes I did pay a fuel charge. It was I am thinking although not sure $7.00 per day. I got a notice from my TA and had to pay it.

Robb

The refund is only for those who:

a) Booked on Carnival or one of it's brands

b) Booked BEFORE Nov 7th, 2007

c) Sailed AFTER Jan 31st, 2008

Is it possible that the surcharge you "think" you paid was for a later cruise, and not your Nov 2007 cruise?

Nope but he rubbed it in everyone else's face so......

Exactly, thats why he has been mentioned by name serveral times. Every fuel surcharge thread there was he was there a handfull of salt to rub into the wound.

It's not a rebate for missing Costa Maya. It's a refund of the port charge. We paid a port charge for four ports when we booked our cruise last January. When we lost Costa Maya due to the hurricane, some sailings picked up Progresso or Roatan. In our case, because these new ports are now so swamped with picking up the slack, there were a stretch of dates where no replacement port was an option. In this case, they refunded us (via an OBC) $25 per person, which was the port fee.

If you booked and paid for four ports and you are now only getting three, you will automatically receive an OBC for the port fee. If they replaced Costa Maya with another port, there will be no refund.

If its a refund of port charges, then how do you explain the fact that Carnival usually only gives exactly $25 per missed port (no matter which port is missed) and the fact that the average port charge runs a tad over $50 per port.

sorry, but I dont buy your correction of someone else's post. If it was truly a refund of port charges, then you would get back more $$$. Its a courtesy OBC.

Sorry for not providing more details initially. I'm at work and received five emails from my broker about the fuel refund and checked and it wasn't posted yet and I was too pleased about my OBCs that I had to share! :D

paul, yours was done already because you sail this week?

ta told you it is already on your acct?

If its a refund of port charges, then how do you explain the fact that Carnival usually only gives exactly $25 per missed port (no matter which port is missed) and the fact that the average port charge runs a tad over $50 per port.

sorry, but I dont buy your correction of someone else's post. If it was truly a refund of port charges, then you would get back more $$$. Its a courtesy OBC.

All I can tell you is that I'm using the exact verbage that Carnival used as an explanation to us in a notification letter last fall. They stated in the letter that the $25 per person is a refund of the port charge.

It seemed to me like a very "small" amount, but I didn't question their letter.

As far as "buying my correction to someone's post" - I'm only passing on to them the explanation that was given to us per written notification from Carnival.

OH - and the only "correction" I made was that the poster called it a rebate rather than a refund.

I'm sorry. I know it's tough - but you knew when you booked that the fee was in affect. Unlike those of us who booked months and in some cases more than a year prior and then got that fee tacked on.

I know it doesn't make it any easier to see us "jumping for joy" over $70.

Not exactly. My wife actually booked it in my name as a Christmas present. It was a surprise. So i didn't know about it. And besides, no one knows what's going to happen in the future. All's I'm saying is, our cruise was booked a week too late.

Refunds will only be issued to bookings made as of Nov. 6, 2007. According to the settlement, those who qualify will receive a refund by check, credit card reimbursement or On-board Credit. So I guess it depends how you paid for the cruise.

Refunds will be made to those who made their bookings prior to Nov. 6 not after.

Where are you getting your info?

I received an e-mail letter directly from Carnival. Here is a copy of the letter:

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Carnival

The Fun Ships

March 31, 2008

Dear Carnival Guest:

The purpose of this letter is to advise you that Carnival has announced a voluntary refund of the company’s fuel supplement for applicable U.S. bookings that were made prior to November 7, 2007 under an agreement with the Florida Attorney General’s Office. The fuel supplement, announced November 7, 2007, was applied to all U.S. bookings for voyages departing on or after February 1, 2008.

The company will now refund the fuel supplement for those guests who were already booked at the time the supplement was announced. For your cruise, we will automatically adjust your booking to eliminate the fuel supplement. A booking confirmation will be sent to you to reflect the new final payrnent arnount.

We also want to thank you for choosing Carnival for your vacation. We are looking forward to providing you with a great cruise experience.

Sincerely,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President — Sales and Guest Service

Not exactly. My wife actually booked it in my name as a Christmas present. It was a surprise. So i didn't know about it. And besides, no one knows what's going to happen in the future. All's I'm saying is, our cruise was booked a week too late.

Sorry. But just know that you'll have a WONDERFUL cruise!!!!

My son just called - he has a cruise booked for Jan 2009. He just got an email from Carnival about the refund process. Still waiting on mine.

hmmmmmmm. i never get these friggin emails. i never even got the one that "announced" the charge. and, i never got an adjusted invoice.

i found out about the charge on here, and when i looked, sure enough it had been tacked onto my booking.

can you post the email?

If you check your online e-docs it will say on one of the pages if you have an OBC or not. When I checked mine just a bit ago I hadn't gotten my OBC yet, but I'm sure it will be on there in a few days.

we got ours on the ship.

hmmmmmmm. i never get these friggin emails. i never even got the one that "announced" the charge. and, i never got an adjusted invoice.

i found out about the charge on here, and when i looked, sure enough it had been tacked onto my booking.

can you post the email?

A lot of the original notice emails were deleted by spam filters as junk mail. The sending email address was IRBFAXFUELAGT [XXXXXX@carnival.com] -- which certainly looks like junk mail if you aren't looking for it. Review your spam filter carefully over the next few days and you'll probably get one. I think I had to retrieve mine from the junk mail folders.

I just got off the phone with SeaMiles concerning my Freedom April 5th cruise and the rep there called Carnival immediately and then came back and told me we had the OBC inputted already. :)

Fred

Yep, when I called this morning - the fuel surcharge refund, along with my other OBC's were already in place. She had a total $ amount for me this morning and I sail in 4 days!!!!!!

Yep, when I called this morning - the fuel surcharge refund, along with my other OBC's were already in place. She had a total $ amount for me this morning and I sail in 4 days!!!!!!

Have a great Cruise! and enjoy your OBC!:D It has been a good fight:p

I booked our cruise on October 17th, 2007 for our cruise on April 6th, 2008. I called my TA this morning and she confirmed that $70 OBC will be there for our sailing in 5 days! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

A lot of the original notice emails were deleted by spam filters as junk mail. The sending email address was IRBFAXFUELAGT [XXXXXX@carnival.com] -- which certainly looks like junk mail if you aren't looking for it. Review your spam filter carefully over the next few days and you'll probably get one. I think I had to retrieve mine from the junk mail folders.

thanks!

If the booking number didn't change and the rate stayed the same (other then adding the third person), then I say chances are good.

Which is probably the best answer you get here. Please check with Carnival and report back so everyone knows.

I sent an e-mail to my TA. I will let you know....

All I can tell you is that I'm using the exact verbage that Carnival used as an explanation to us in a notification letter last fall. They stated in the letter that the $25 per person is a refund of the port charge.

It seemed to me like a very "small" amount, but I didn't question their letter.

As far as "buying my correction to someone's post" - I'm only passing on to them the explanation that was given to us per written notification from Carnival.

OH - and the only "correction" I made was that the poster called it a rebate rather than a refund.

OK truce. But Im sure that not every port in the whole of Mexico and the Caribbean has exactly the same port charge, so it makes no sense to call it a refund of port charges. Port charges are even different depending on how many hours they stay in port, or if they come in early like we did once when the ship left another stormy port.

Having a generic policy of $25 for a missed port is just to make folks fuss less imo...just my opinion.

Only thing I still feel unsure about is Carnival increasing the fuel surcharge amount on new bookings.

(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement charge without prior notice. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to pass through to the Guests (including fully paid and deposited guests) any increases in such items.

Based on that I get the impression that any of the new bookings could end up having the surcharge increased at Carnival's discretion.

Wonder when Carnival will publish a fuel surcharge rate chart like UPS has.

Only thing I still feel unsure about is Carnival increasing the fuel surcharge amount on new bookings.

Based on that I get the impression that any of the new bookings could end up having the surcharge increased at Carnival's discretion.

Wonder when Carnival will publish a fuel surcharge rate chart like UPS has.

I know that's what Carnival's contract says, but read the wording of the agreement Carnival just signed with the FL AG: (Link to original is in one of the early posts of this thread)

"

3. THE PARTIES AGREE that Carnival will clearly and conspicuously disclose the fuel supplement charge by placing the amount and frequency of the fuel supplement charge directly above, beneath, or next to the cruise fare price…."

Archived