Fuel supplement to be refunded

PaulMedik

I'd trade in that credit for a day at Costa Maya on the beach in Mahajaul.

I look at it this way. My S&S starts with a $320 charge for tips and $60 for Harry's. This gets it down to $300. I don't view it as "found money" or any sort of bonus. It's the deal we negotiated with Carnival. I always thought we would get it back. It was just a matter of how long and how much Carnival was going to spend to fight the AG on it. After the RCCL negotiation, this was a losing fight for Carnival and they had to know it.

I totally agree. Our day in Costa Maya a year ago was the highlight of our week. $50 in credit doesn't begin to cover what that day was worth to us.

How is that? The tips are pre-billed to the S&S account and are $10 per day per passenger which is greater than the $5 here. There will be nothing left for Carnival even if a passenger buys no drinks or spends no other money on board.

As for spending more or less with Carnival or not doing their excursions, I don't think anyone should let this impact his or vacation in any way. I think most Carnival sponsored excursions are ripoffs anyway where they make $millions just based on passenger fears about the "missing the ship" guarantee and the lack of information by most people about independent excursions.

I will never understand the loyalty some have to ANY cruiseline. Some view them as I do my favorite sports teams and actually root for them. It seemed like there were other threads with people unhappy that we passengers were actually going to get our money back because it would hurt "poor Carnival" or maybe even drive up the price of their own cruise. Go figure.

My feeling is many are going to treat this as how you put it "found money".

I think along the lines of the folks who prepaid tips, pre-booked excursions, and tend not to buy drinks onboard (Bring own or use coupons).

If the OBC will not be refunded the passenger would be forced to use it when they might not have in the first place. I don't see that as a win.

Win for the consumer in my book is still a refund to original payment method.

I am glad we are getting a $140.00 OBC (2 cabins) I would have rather have gotten a credit on my credit card though. If I buy 7 photo's at $20.00 each that will use up my $140.00 but it only cost carnival a few dollars to print them. Same with foo foo drinks. charges are 5 or 6 bucks but costs less than a dollar to make. So Carnival really isn't losing 41 million. Does that make sense?

By the way, where on carnival's website will I see the OBC? tia

I am glad we are getting a $140.00 OBC (2 cabins) I would have rather have gotten a credit on my credit card though. If I buy 7 photo's at $20.00 each that will use up my $140.00 but it only cost carnival a few dollars to print them. Same with foo foo drinks. charges are 5 or 6 bucks but costs less than a dollar to make. So Carnival really isn't losing 41 million. Does that make sense?

My feeling exactly.

I don't mean to derail but I am curious about the $25 pp OBC for the loss of Costa Maya. I'm on the 06/14/08 Glory and we were planned to stop at Costa Maya and then 1 day the itinerary changed w/o notice. I was looking forward to Costa Maya... So anyways, what's the deal with the OBC for Costa Maya?

Thanks!

Brandi

We booked this cruise specifically because it was 4 ports. If we wanted 3 ports, we would have booked the Eastern route. Up until recently, the GLORY was visiting Roatan or Progresso as it's 4th port to make up for the loss of Costa Maya. Because of the number of ships visiting these ports, there was a certain range of dates where the GLORY would only be making 3 stops. (I believe in just a couple of weeks, it begins going back to Roatan). Those of us who lost the 4th port during this time frame are being reimbursed the "port fee" of $25 per person.

Costa Maya is out of the picture until it recovers from last fall's hurricane damage. If a 4th port (Roatan or Progresso) is added to your itinerary, there will be no refund of the port charge.

I am just happy for everyone it affected. Although it did not affect my sailing I was behind you guys from the beginning!!! Wrong is wrong no matter what:cool:

Have fun spending your obc!!!!

THANKS!!!! The $70 was never an issue for me - it was they way they charged it retroactively.

I'll be "thanking" them with every KISS ON THE LIPS I'm sucking down.

Somebody asked a similiar question yesterday, but I didn't see a response...

We booked back in October for our June 2 cruise, but 3 weeks ago we changed cabins and added one person (our booking number stayed the same). Do you think we will still get an OBC???

If you check your online e-docs it will say on one of the pages if you have an OBC or not. When I checked mine just a bit ago I hadn't gotten my OBC yet, but I'm sure it will be on there in a few days.

I am getting paper docs, not e-docs.

I don't think I can check on the Carnival site:confused:

I think it's been asked at least twice (and maybe more), but can anyone please say where specifically in the online e-docs it shows (or should show) the OBC? Looked at mine several times, can't seem to figure out where such a thing would be listed :confused:

Cindy

So booking on 1/1/08 won't get me a refund for my 9/21/08 cruise ?

Nope. You had to book prior to November 6th. When you booked in January, you were already aware of the surcharge. We were notified in early November regarding the surcharge. Anyone booking after that date was aware that the surcharge would be added for sailings after February 1st. The "fight" was for those of us who had booked, paid deposits and in many cases, paid in full for our cruises prior to the notification date in early November.

THANKS!!!! The $70 was never an issue for me - it was they way they charged it retroactively.

I'll be "thanking" them with every KISS ON THE LIPS I'm sucking down.

This made my day :) and I agree with the sentiments above !

We have 16 in our group travelling to the Med in October for the Carnival Splendor sailing, so this announcement has saved our group $960.00

We also have a group of 30 of us on a 6 day cruise in November and this decision has saved us $900

So, Lots of "Kiss on the Lips" drinks for almost $2000 in savings :D

A big thank you to those people who stood up and took a stand on this issue. I do not believe this would have happened if a stink wasn't raised about it. Congratulations !!!!

Nope but he rubbed it in everyone else's face so......

Yep - nearly 200 posts and he hasn't graced us with his presence. Oh, but he was here last week, repeatedly telling us what "whining babies" we all were and how Carnival would "NEVER" give in. Guess he's not quite as "knowledgeable" as he thinks he is.

I think it's been asked at least twice (and maybe more), but can anyone please say where specifically in the online e-docs it shows (or should show) the OBC? Looked at mine several times, can't seem to figure out where such a thing would be listed :confused:

Cindy

I had asked this too, figured it out I think... I went to carnival.com and looked at my booking, I think I clicked on modify booking and there I saw a place for credit, nothing was there yet, but there was a place for what I paid for the cruise, my deposit, my fuel surcharge and than a credit line. But as stated nothing showing up there yet. Hope that helps and if someone knows an easier way let me know :)

Nope. You had to book prior to November 6th. When you booked in January, you were already aware of the surcharge. We were notified in early November regarding the surcharge. Anyone booking after that date was aware that the surcharge would be added for sailings after February 1st. The "fight" was for those of us who had booked, paid deposits and in many cases, paid in full for our cruises prior to the notification date in early November.

Fight ? The fight should be against all these oil companies making a killing on gas and giving their CEO $5 million bonuses and making it difficult to drive your car to work. I asked my wife how long would it take to drive my bicycle to work and she thought I was joking. Also, whether we knew about the $70 fuel charge, it still goes back to these oil companies who say "they have to". YEA, Have to give yourself big bonuses..lol

Rebate For Missing Costa Maya? Tell Me More? How Do I Get It?

Michele

It's not a rebate for missing Costa Maya. It's a refund of the port charge. We paid a port charge for four ports when we booked our cruise last January. When we lost Costa Maya due to the hurricane, some sailings picked up Progresso or Roatan. In our case, because these new ports are now so swamped with picking up the slack, there were a stretch of dates where no replacement port was an option. In this case, they refunded us (via an OBC) $25 per person, which was the port fee.

If you booked and paid for four ports and you are now only getting three, you will automatically receive an OBC for the port fee. If they replaced Costa Maya with another port, there will be no refund.

Somebody asked a similiar question yesterday, but I didn't see a response...

We booked back in October for our June 2 cruise, but 3 weeks ago we changed cabins and added one person (our booking number stayed the same). Do you think we will still get an OBC???

If the booking number didn't change and the rate stayed the same (other then adding the third person), then I say chances are good.

Which is probably the best answer you get here. Please check with Carnival and report back so everyone knows.

Archived