Kid bashing

Kineticoh20

Hmmm we only cruise on spring break ie Easter break and have never had a problem. Maybe I'm not looking for one either. Sometimes I feel some folks are just looking for something to rant and rave about.

I don't feel like I was ranting or raving...merely stating my opinion and experience on that one ship for that one week:). We've been on plenty of other cruises and never had a problem with a kid...a few rude adults, yes, but not kids.

On the other hand, unlike a bunch of parents that trip, I never would have let our daughter run loose like that! :eek:

Cheers!

Bruce

There were about 300 kids on the cruise we just returned from and I was really nervous about it. However, there was no problem. There were a few pushy kids in the buffet lines but there were a few pushy adults in the buffet line also. I encountered no kids that were running or yelling or making disturbances. The few times a baby started crying in the dining room, the parents actually got up immediately and left the room. If the parents act responsibly, there will seldom be a problem. If the ship has a separate adult pool, that would be a plus because I like to go in the pool but when there are dozens of kids having fun in there, it's a little hard. Not their fault, of course, but the one drawback I can think of.

LOL! Y'all may think were crazy but DH and I would rather cruise with most children before we cruise with some adults we meet (some not ALL). We love the at sea days sitting by the pool and hearing the kids laugh and play, its awsome! To tell you the truth a lot of the times we will get in the pool and join them. Kids are so innocent and really have a sense of what it is to have fun. It just like living in the South, most people think we are no teeth, not well educated rednecks just because we live in a Southern state. Well not all Southerners are rednecks and not all children are bad. Lighten up and if you want a vacation without children do an all-inclusive adults only resort or one of the few cruise ships that offer adults only.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

LOL! Y'all may think were crazy but DH and I would rather cruise with most children before we cruise with some adults we meet (some not ALL). We love the at sea days sitting by the pool and hearing the kids laugh and play, its awsome! To tell you the truth a lot of the times we will get in the pool and join them. Kids are so innocent and really have a sense of what it is to have fun. It just like living in the South, most people think we are no teeth, not well educated rednecks just because we live in a Southern state. Well not all Southerners are rednecks and not all children are bad. Lighten up and if you want a vacation without children do an all-inclusive adults only resort or one of the few cruise ships that offer adults only.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

Good post, I agree whole heartedly. We find far more rude,abusive,loud, cranky adults than kids.

I meant in the Princess folder and now it's number 2 besides stickys. So I guess it made it by a long shot:D :p ;)

You start a post with an inflamatory title ("Kid Bashing"). You resurrect it after it has been dormant for almost 3 1/2 months, despite the fact that you have nothing to add. Seems destined to get a lot of viewing, and venting. Nothing to brag about.

You start a post with an inflamatory title ("Kid Bashing"). You resurrect it after it has been dormant for almost 3 1/2 months, despite the fact that you have nothing to add. Seems destined to get a lot of viewing, and venting. Nothing to brag about.

Oh please get over yourself:cool: Are you the thread psycologist now? Nothing inflamatory about it, just an obsevation. If you have trouble with it get out and don't read it!

I don't think I've ever heard a parent of unruly kids admit to their darlings being troublesome or perhaps they don't bother to post.

I'd rather not cruise with kids but it ain't gonna happen so I just keep booking during the school season on 10 day cruises where there are less of them.

I've seen cruises with kids both good & bad but lately they've been making announcements warning parents will be held responsible for their kids actions. I really don't know what that means but the rowdiness has seemed to have quieted down to a tolerable level lately.

I don't think I've ever heard a parent of unruly kids admit to their darlings being troublesome or perhaps they don't bother to post.

I'd rather not cruise with kids but it ain't gonna happen so I just keep booking during the school season on 10 day cruises where there are less of them.

I've seen cruises with kids both good & bad but lately they've been making announcements warning parents will be held responsible for their kids actions. I really don't know what that means but the rowdiness has seemed to have quieted down to a tolerable level lately.

I really don't notice the roudiness or maybe I'm not looking for it. My kids are 14 and 10. We purposly did not do these type of vacations while they were younger, instead waiting till they understood how to be good vacationers.. Princess really does a great job with the kids. My two really enjoy the teen and kid centers. On sea days the spend most all there time there. I know it's a compliment but it kind of irritates me when 10 or more people per cruise tell the wife and I how well mannered our kids are. I know it's a compliment but it still hits a nerve. How would it look if I went up to complete strangers and said how well mannered your husband is tonight:eek: I have never heard an announcement like the one you commented on, not even last year on the Diamond durring Easter when there were 900 kids on board. Actually it was a great cruise.

Hello, Father of 8 here. 4 boys, 4 girls. Each and everyone of my kids is a blessing, and they have all been taught to act respectfull, and each of them has a bad day now and then, just like each and everyone of us. My suggestion if you want a cruise with no kids: book on Seabourn. Otherwise, take a breath and remember that you were a kid once too, and if we were to ask your parents, I bet they would tell us you had a meltdown a time or two.

I too understand saving hard earned money to afford a vacation. Believe me, I am the first into action if any of my children ever misbehaves. ( Of course, they never do) :rolleyes:

We will be cruising on Saphire 10/11/08 and will be taking 6 along. 17,15,12,9,6, and 2. We have been working with the 2yo to get him ready, but.............he's 2.

If any one has cruised with a toddler before I welcome POSITIVE suggestions.

And the next time you see a kid, be a positive influence, he may be running the country someday. :D

I have never heard an announcement like the one you commented on, not even last year on the Diamond durring Easter when there were 900 kids on board. Actually it was a great cruise.

The first time I heard it we were on the Dawn Princess this past June.

cruisedad: I'm one of "6" myself and I know we could be a bit too much for a lot of other folks.....That said.....remember; a two year old really can't think beyond the next meal or nap time! So, if you're traveling with one.....don't forget to feed them on time and to nap them when necessary!

If you stick to a good schedule no one, strangers and two year olds alike, will be unhappy!

It's when parents forget that the little ones can only think in minutes, is when the "meltdowns" occur! Parents get too lazy to go back to the cabin and lay down with the "little one"; read them a story; put in a tape....just rest! It's good for both of you!!!! It may not be much fun but it's what you signed-up for!!!!!!!

Buy lots of toys, small things; hide them, until you're on the cruise and then present them, one at a time and don't forget to reward for good behvior!!!

If you follow "Auntie Rozzie's" suggestions all will be right with the cruising world!!!! :D

We took our children, roughly the same ages, on a number of cruises-no issue. Fact is, if there was a demand for adult only cruises-as there is in land based resorts, the cruise lines would do something. The cruise lines are actually trying to attract younger passengers and families...hence all the new amenities. We now cruise without children and never mind having them or seeing them aboard (we avoid school vacation times). I think the the issue has been blown out of proportion by a small combination of inconsiderate busybodies and by a small number of parents who will not, cannot, or just don't care enought to teach their children how to act in a public forum.

I really don't notice the roudiness or maybe I'm not looking for it. My kids are 14 and 10. We purposly did not do these type of vacations while they were younger, instead waiting till they understood how to be good vacationers.. Princess really does a great job with the kids. My two really enjoy the teen and kid centers. On sea days the spend most all there time there. I know it's a compliment but it kind of irritates me when 10 or more people per cruise tell the wife and I how well mannered our kids are. I know it's a compliment but it still hits a nerve. How would it look if I went up to complete strangers and said how well mannered your husband is tonight:eek: I have never heard an announcement like the one you commented on, not even last year on the Diamond durring Easter when there were 900 kids on board. Actually it was a great cruise.

Hello, Father of 8 here. 4 boys, 4 girls. Each and everyone of my kids is a blessing, and they have all been taught to act respectfull, and each of them has a bad day now and then, just like each and everyone of us. My suggestion if you want a cruise with no kids: book on Seabourn. Otherwise, take a breath and remember that you were a kid once too, and if we were to ask your parents, I bet they would tell us you had a meltdown a time or two.

I too understand saving hard earned money to afford a vacation. Believe me, I am the first into action if any of my children ever misbehaves. ( Of course, they never do) :rolleyes:

We will be cruising on Saphire 10/11/08 and will be taking 6 along. 17,15,12,9,6, and 2. We have been working with the 2yo to get him ready, but.............he's 2.

If any one has cruised with a toddler before I welcome POSITIVE suggestions.

And the next time you see a kid, be a positive influence, he may be running the country someday. :D

It just takes a lot of planning. Figure out the things you need (medicines, new toys and books, any special snacks -- you can't trust the ship's store to carry these items as well as diapers and pullups in the right size). We took our girl on her first cruise at 23 months and it turned out to be a great experience.

I don't feel badly if someone comes up to us to compliment our girl. It happens a lot (she's the type who saids "thank you," etc.). I know it's sincere and does reflect on our parenting skills in a positive way. But I can understand that not everyone wants to hear it or other compliments. That's human nature. The exception is when we're at a mall and some woman comes up to us and starts complimenting my daughter. I know what's coming next (and so does every parent in the greater Southern California area): a "talent agent" who wants us to take her to a special "casting call." I just say thank you, stick the pre-offered card in my purse, which will end up in the recycling bin at home.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I think the main reason people feel the need to compliment parents on well-behaved children theese days is because it just seems that the respect that used to be taught is disapearing theese days, and it is refreshing to see parents that still consider it important enough to teach.

Archived