ANOTHER Gratuity thread!!!!

mgg42

Okay, at least hear me out, I'm not trying to beat the dead horse.

I just got off Century and there were nine of us (extended family), so of course I had to listen to all the tired comments, "why do I have to tip the Head Maitre'd when he didn't do anything, blah, blah, blah..."

I do tip the head Maitre'd the recommended amount because I figure it's part of his expected pay.

But here's what I don't get, and I guess it's just a carryover of old cruising tradition: Why do these people get paid by tip???

I understand gratuities for the waiter and the cabin steward. But wouldn't it just make more sense for the rest of the staff to be salaried? Heck, raise the price of the cruises by whatever amount a day to make up the difference!

It's not like I stopped by the bridge and tipped the captain for not running aground!

I didn't go down to the engine room and tip the chief engineer for a smooth ride!

There was a guy painting railings on the Sports deck when we boarded. They looked great, should I have tipped him?

I don't mind tipping people if it's expected. It just seems like an outdated mode of compensation for people with whom you don't have direct contact.

Let the feasting begin....

But here's what I don't get, and I guess it's just a carryover of old cruising tradition: Why do these people get paid by tip???

...But wouldn't it just make more sense for the rest of the staff to be salaried? Heck, raise the price of the cruises by whatever amount a day to make up the difference!

You've answered much of the question. It's been done this way, the cruise lines can get away with it, so it continues to be done. This way, the fares seem lower to many end users, and the cruise lines don't have to give up as much in commission to travel agents.

This is our first Celebrity cruise - we were on Carnival 2 years ago for our only other cruise.

Our booking was done through a TA and they added the Gratuities onto our booking price. (after clearing with us)

My memory fails me slightly, but I seem to recall that we weren't expected to tip anybody at the end of the Carnival cruise.

Am I correct here???

Roy & Val

This is our first Celebrity cruise - we were on Carnival 2 years ago for our only other cruise. Our booking was done through a TA and they added the Gratuities onto our booking price. (after clearing with us) My memory fails me slightly, but I seem to recall that we weren't expected to tip anybody at the end of the Carnival cruise.

Am I correct here???

Roy & Val

There are a few lines that do not expect tipping - mostly super-premium lines. On most cruise lines almost all of what waiters, stewards and some others make comes from tips. On most cruise lines including Carnival standard tips are automatically added to your bill [and could of course have been paid for in advance]. RCI/=X= do not automatically add tips, but I believe that depending on where the passenger is from they may require pre-paid gratuities. I consider the standard [suggested] tip to be the service charge that insures the staff what is considered a fair wage. I will tip above the suggested amount for truly super service [and it is not unusual get super service aboard ship], but don't feel obligated to.

And X is the only line we've traveled that makes you tip the assistant who oversees the cabin stewards - it's interesting to find that the stewards do a good job by themselves on all other lines we've cruised. Nancy

I don't think anyone "makes" you tip but you may feel obliged to.

I don't like tipping being added to my cruise bill as a matter of course, I much prefer to decide who and how much I will tip depending upon the service I receive.

I agree with the OP I think people should be paid well enough not to have to rely on tips to make a fair and living wage.

I tip very well when I receive great service but I will not automatically tip anyone if I don't believe their standard of service warrants it.

(Steps down from soapbox!!)

Pat

And X is the only line we've traveled that makes you tip the assistant who oversees the cabin stewards

I don't think anyone "makes" you tip

Yes Princess does.Its the only line we travelled that put the tips on automatically, and, if you felt you didn't get the service you expected, YOU had to do something to take the tip away. Dumb.

The company 'cost' for a salaried worker is essentially fixed. If all the aforementioned became salaried, your cruising costs would go up proportionately.

Yes Princess does.Its the only line we travelled that put the tips on automatically, and, if you felt you didn't get the service you expected, YOU had to do something to take the tip away. Dumb.

Carnival does this too. The standard gratuities are applied to your sign and sail account unless you specify otherwise. I think it makes sense because it's easy, and it makes it clear to people who might not be familiar with tipping that it really is expected.

The company 'cost' for a salaried worker is essentially fixed. If all the aforementioned became salaried, your cruising costs would go up proportionately.

I agree, and I would have no problem with that. What I don't get is tipping people whom I do not have contact with. I tip a waiter in a restaurant, I don't tip the manager. I tip the housekeeper in the hotel, but I don't tip the switchboard operator. I think gratuities (be they compulsory or not) shoudl be given only to people with whom the tipper has direct interaction. Others should be paid a working wage that shouldn't be based on gratuities.

That being said, if the $1.00 a day or whatever tip that is suggested for the "second understudy piano lounge bar restocker trainee" is considered necessary for them to earn their wage, then I am going to pay it.

I just think the system could stand to be re-jiggered.

I agree, and I would have no problem with that. What I don't get is tipping people whom I do not have contact with. I tip a waiter in a restaurant, I don't tip the manager. I tip the housekeeper in the hotel, but I don't tip the switchboard operator. I think gratuities (be they compulsory or not) shoudl be given only to people with whom the tipper has direct interaction. Others should be paid a working wage that shouldn't be based on gratuities.

That being said, if the $1.00 a day or whatever tip that is suggested for the "second understudy piano lounge bar restocker trainee" is considered necessary for them to earn their wage, then I am going to pay it.

I just think the system could stand to be re-jiggered.

Agreed, very few other businesses / industries could get away with pricing this way.

What if cruise lines were to include gratuities and the fuel surcharge (both fuel and labour being of high importance in operating a cruise) in the quoted fares? Would the new fare be proportionately higher, or would there be even more padding now that the costs were moved further down the chain? And how many (mainly new) customers would the cruise industry lose to land-based holidays?

I agree that I'd rather pay $150 more per cruise and have gratuity included. It's annoying to have to dole out the cash on the last day.

I just posted this on another thread, I'm going to repeat it here...

We calculated that if our head waiter received the minimum suggested tip of $3.50 pp, per day, he would be pulling in EASILY $1,500-$2,000 per week.

But he spent the whole week telling us how little they are paid, how little they are tipped, telling us that $3.50 per person per dinner was an insult, that in a regular land-based restaurant the tip per couple for that sort of meal would easily be $30 per dinner, etc etc.....we found this annoying, tiresome...and most of all, unprofessional!

Had it not been for him continually talking about money (yes, on several of the nights throughout the week), we would have been inclined to tip him a lot more than the suggested amount. We did not.

I agree that these people work very, very hard and are probably underpaid. But hearing about it while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner, on vacation, is aggravating!

Our assistant waiter was friendly, competent, and professional. THAT is the kind of service I'm willing to tip double (or triple) for.

Tipping is based on service. Take away the incentive, and the service falters....simple as that.

We have almost always been visited by the Maitre'd during all of our cruises, and while we have never asked anything of them other than a birthday or anniversary cake, for the most part we tip as suggested. However there have been issues where there are blatant dress code violators, and we have asked that the maitre'd do his job and enforce the the codes.....Most of the time they simply state there is nothing they can do about it. We do one of two things in the case where they are NOT doing their job. Either not tip at all, or short tip as an insult...can't do your job, don't expect free money.

We have also had amazing waitstaff at dinner which we tipped above and beyond, We also tip the sommalier if they are on spot. But then again we have had some less than stellar staff also which we brought to the Maitre'ds attention. If they weren't switched out and continued to be lacking....We reduced the size of the suggested tip to show our dissatisfaction.

The above is also true for our room steward and asst.

Having travelled often we also know a number of staff and its great when they not only remember your name, but your favorite drink, etc....These guys ALWAYS get a nice tip at the end.

Now if we simply pre-tip everyone....what do you do in the case of poor service? you can complain, but that doesn't necessarily make a statement to the employee. However, if you do bring an issue to their attention and its not corrected, not tipping, or leaving a token tip is the best way to tell them they aren't doing their job.

Dave:eek:

I appreciate when gratuities are added to the price of the cruise because tipping is not a natural custom in Australia.

However, I was uncomfortable with the subtle pressure, at the end of the cruise, to make additional tips, which rather defeats the purpose of pre-paying gratuities.

I wonder if the cruiselines share the interest on these pre-paid gratuities with the staff, who receive these tips?

We have almost always been visited by the Maitre'd during all of our cruises, and while we have never asked anything of them other than a birthday or anniversary cake, for the most part we tip as suggested. However there have been issues where there are blatant dress code violators, and we have asked that the maitre'd do his job and enforce the the codes.....Most of the time they simply state there is nothing they can do about it. We do one of two things in the case where they are NOT doing their job. Either not tip at all, or short tip as an insult...can't do your job, don't expect free money.

Good point. This trip, the asst. maitre d' never came to our table...until we requested a galley tour from our waiter, who connected us with the asst. maitre d'. He did line up the tour, so I felt happy tipping him well...the tour itself was worth it!

However, I was uncomfortable with the subtle pressure, at the end of the cruise, to make additional tips, which rather defeats the purpose of pre-paying gratuities.

I agree! Especially on drink orders...I walk up to the bar to get a diet coke and have to pay 15% for self service? Okay...fine...but then putting an additional tip line on the bill is ridiculous.

I would not like my gratuities prepaid. That eliminates the purpose of it being a gratuity and turns it into a service charge. I prefer things just the way they are.

And I absolutely feel that the Assistant Maitre 'D deserves a gratuity. Ours have always been very helpful and when I want something special or offmenu, it is the Assistant Maitre 'D that makes it happen. They have always helped enhance our experience.

As for the Chief Housekeeper, we've had them knock on our stateroom door to inquire if everything is as it should be, which we appreciated. The one time we had an issue, it was the Chief Housekeeper who ensured that it was resolved and that we were satisfied.

I feel these two positions are definitely deserving of a gratuity. And really, it's 75 cents a day per person. Not worth being upset about even if you don't feel that they performed a service for you.

I still wonder about paying off the Asst. Chief Housekeeper. I've only seen him once in the time we've been cruising. The Asst. Maitre d' is far more visible and last cruise we had a really great one - no concern there at all.

But I agree we are talking pocket change here.

We are on our first cruise on Infinity Alaska April 28 and have pre paid gratuities on our ticket being from Australia we are not used to tipping as part of our culture. Whilst we are really looking forward to our cruise we are nervous about the reading on here that there is pressure to give further tips "HOW MUCH AND WHY"

Don't worry - Just enjoy your first cruise in Alaska.

No amount of money is mentioned, just subtle encouragement in newsletter and an officers' forum.

I just think they could have handled it differently, as everyone on the ship had pre-paid their gratuities.

If you wish, you could give small Australian souvenirs, which were appreciated.

I appreciate when gratuities are added to the price of the cruise because tipping is not a natural custom in Australia.

It's my understanding that's also true in Europe, where waiters and other service workers are paid living wages rather than the below-minimum wage that is allowed in the U.S.

So, my question for those who travel regularly between the U.S. and Europe and Australia, do you feel you receive better service in the U.S. from waiters due to their dependence on tips for a significant part of their income??

Or, for those who have sailed on the high-end cruise lines where tips included in the fare, is service poor without the workers' expectation of additional cash at the end of the cruise??

I believe the best service would come from employees who are paid a fair wage, have decent working conditions, and have an opportunity to better themselves. Most of us probably don't work for tips, but there are other factors that motivate us to do a good job. I don't buy that waiters and service workers in the U.S. and cruise ships workers perform well only with the anticipation of cash regularly slipped into their hands.

I don't buy it either!

We couldn't have received a higher level of service on our ship, even though the gratuities were prepaid for the whole ship.

We have travelled extensively throughout USA, UK, Europe and Australia and we find the general level of service is the same, with a tipping custom or without a tipping custom, as long as you treat people well. No, we don't receive better service in USA, because of their dependence on tips, but we love their friendliness.

Worldwide, the best service comes from people who love their job! People, in a service industry, are what makes the difference and they should be treasured by those who employ them and those who are served by them.

I believe the best service would come from employees who are paid a fair wage, have decent working conditions, and have an opportunity to better themselves. Most of us probably don't work for tips, but there are other factors that motivate us to do a good job.

I agree with you, but the economics of cruising on the mainstream lines seem to preclude this possibility.

Whether gratuities are prepaid, added to a Seapass account or paid in cash they are the real wages paid to those who clean our cabins and serve our meals. I look upon them as a necessary cost of cruising and I cannot imagine making them "contingent upon good service" or not.

To avoid paying a gratuity is to contribute to a sweatshop environment for somebody I've gotten to know as a person in their own right during the course of a cruise.

Now having said that I have found that good service is as much a factor of treating a crew member with respect and saying "thank you" as it is the possibility of getting a gratuity at the end of the cruise.

I don't think there is a requirement that you tip. Having said that, I think the cruise lines help to make it easy AND do encourage tipping. They are also very good with computers and I am sure they know over time, what will be, within a range, the amount of tips given on a cruise. I am sure they then take this into the salary calculation.

I do think there are some people you should tip for sure. You cabin steward and your waiter/assit waiter IF they provide you with excellant service. They know they are working for tips as their main source of income.

The thing that I have seen is people having seating assignments and then not showing up, thus ensuring these people do not have the ability to 'earn' a tip/wage for those seat placements. Room stewards are a little different in that, I am out on a limb here, everyone uses their room.

Mgg42 and YOW,

I agree making fares lower, then adding gratuties, fuel surcharges, etc. has advantages to the cruise lines re payment of less commission to agents.

Qantas has this down to a fine art, with base fare, then heavy taxes and charges, including fuel surcharges. They have less commission to pay agents and their ff have to pay more, when they fly using ff points.

Middle eastern airlines, which fly one stop to Europe, have a higher base fare, then less taxes and charges. Guess whose FF programme, I've joined?

Personally, I'd rather employees be paid a decent wage and pay higher fares, but know that isn't going to happen.

At least they have given up on the charade that gratuities are optional.

I agree that I'd rather pay $150 more per cruise and have gratuity included. It's annoying to have to dole out the cash on the last day.

I just posted this on another thread, I'm going to repeat it here...

We calculated that if our head waiter received the minimum suggested tip of $3.50 pp, per day, he would be pulling in EASILY $1,500-$2,000 per week.

But he spent the whole week telling us how little they are paid, how little they are tipped, telling us that $3.50 per person per dinner was an insult, that in a regular land-based restaurant the tip per couple for that sort of meal would easily be $30 per dinner, etc etc.....we found this annoying, tiresome...and most of all, unprofessional!

Had it not been for him continually talking about money (yes, on several of the nights throughout the week), we would have been inclined to tip him a lot more than the suggested amount. We did not.

I agree that these people work very, very hard and are probably underpaid. But hearing about it while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner, on vacation, is aggravating!

Our assistant waiter was friendly, competent, and professional. THAT is the kind of service I'm willing to tip double (or triple) for.

I am afraid that if this had been my waiter I would have politely stopped him in his tracks and told him to get a job on land, but in the meantime, let me enjoy my meal with my tablemates.

I usually tip the requested amounts with extras to those who provide superior service.....and yes, I do tend to overtip. I have on occassion let the maitre 'd know that he did not meet my expectations....we are only talking 75 cents per day which is irrelevent to me, but not so irrelevent to him. So, no, I do not pre-pay my gratuities.

Whilst this is our first cruise we do travel a lot at least twice a year from Australia to either North America or Europe.

We love visiting the states but in my opinion the service is no better than that in Australia where tipping in not the norm. In fact we have often commented that the treatment we somtimes receive would not be acceptable in Australia. In fact I beleive that because hospitality workers in Aus receive good wages including penalty rates and superannuation etc there is less pressure on them to work tips leaving them to be themselves and do their job not worried that they may work the day without receiving the money they deserve.

We always find the tipping thing to be the only downer every trip but would not stop travelling as we love both the experiences and the people in the states.

cheers

I don't like how it's expected that we pay their salaries basically. It's unfair to the passengers. That being said, we tip well when service is done well not just because it's expected. But the fact that their salary depends on tips from passengers is just wrong IMO. Expecting a tip no matter what kind of service you give and then telling us throughout the cruise how much it should be is just wrong. They should revise it to say something like... If you feel you received good expected service from your attendant, waiter, etc, then the suggested tip is such and such.

Archived