Need Reassurance

coco6

I'm going on my third cruise in July. My husband and I will be on the Destiny. I'm really excited and can't wait to go but deep down I have this worry that I need some reassurance with. My husband had a heart attack in 2005 and need a stent. Everything worked out ok and about two months after that he needed a ballon and another stent. Since then he has been fine until Dec. of 2007 he needed another stent. Ok now its May. I'm deathly affraid of something happening to him on the ship. I'm afraid he will get chest pains and need an angioplasty while we are on our cruise. It would greatly easy my mind if I heard others experiences with this type of problem. We did purchase insurance thru our travel agent that would cover coast guard transportation if need. I just want to know that if this did happen, he would be ok and we would end up in a good hosptial with a good doctor who has done many angiograms. Does anyone have any advice that could calm my nerves :) or has anyone been thru this?

Sorry, but noone can give you that assurance...you don't say what ports. If it happens too far from the US for the Coast Guard to evacuate, or the nearest hospital is outside the US...Too many 'ifs'...You can't even be guaranteed that the nearest hospital in the US will have that kind of experience. EM

What port are you going to? I know it is a constant worry and then to be so far away from his doctors but if something is to happen it will happen no matter where you are. Keep good thoughts and good prayers. Oh remember to breath...

We will be on the southern caribean itinerary out of puerto rico. I know I have no control of this but I wanted to know if anyone had this happen to them while on a cruise? Has anyone had to have an angioplasty in another country? what do they do if he had to be helicopter to land? would they take me also? what do they do with your luggage? I'm freaking out just thinking about it. I make myself worry and ruin my good time.

yes I'm sure the doctor on board would suggest to bring him to nearest hosptial but how quickly do they move to do things like this onboard? like for example, in december when he has his last stent put in, we went into the ER on a thursday afternoon he was having chest pains and feeling light headed and the doctor on call automatically gave him a shot to thin his blood in his stomach and hooked him up to the ekg machine at that point they got in touch with the on call cardiologist and given his history they decided to do an angiogram the next morning. So my question is, onboard would they be equipped with the medicine and machines like they are in a hosptial? I know the shot they gave him to thin his blood and the nitroglycerin pills helped him get thru the night to wait til the next morning to get an angiogram.

Can you go to your (his) dr and have a full work up done before the trip to make sure nothing is going on right now? Maybe his dr could give you some meds to use in case of emergency. Blood thinners or nitro or something. You can't live life thinking "what if" cause then we would never have any fun. My dh has a pacemaker/defibulator (since he's been 39) so we never know when he will defib and that thing will go off. It's scary, but we have learned to just ignore it and go on with life.

good luck...chances are nothing will happen.

Hi Coco6,

1. Has he seen his cardiologist recently? And, does the cardiologist know of the plan to cruise?

2. When did he have his last stress test? Maybe should schedule a stress test before July (in May/June)!

3. Make sure your insurance covers medical evacuation from a foreign country.

If his Doctor feels it is alright for him to cruise, then relax a bit! If his stress test is okay, maybe you can ease your mind a little.

I have had one stent placed in an artery, (Aug. 10, 2007) and I have been on 2 cruises since then. I did not have a heart attack, but I did flunk a stress test which led to the stent placement. Personally, because I NOW take care of myself by eating right and almost daily workouts, I do not worry any longer. For me, living in fear is not living. I do what I can to minimize my risk but I want to enjoy whatever time God allows me to have with my wife.

One of the mini-one-day courses I took here at the rescue station where I work, was Critical Incident Stress Management. It helps one deal with emotions one may encounter on a call (example: injured people in a car accident, especially young children). We are taught that we did not cause the incident, we are there to help in whatever way we can. Also, we can talk about a call amoung ourselves and to counselors so we can deal with grief. Bottom line: It is not your fault if something happens. It is beyond your control. You can help, but you did not cause the situation.

I hope this helps, and that I did not confuse you.

God bless you.

Lee

Hi Coco6

Do you have your own AED (Automated External Defibulator)? If you do, then you have taken the training that goes along with it. Make sure you have current CPR training. FYI: our protocols are changing. We are no longer giving 2 breaths and then chest compressions. We are going to just chest compressions. The chest compressions ensure that the blood keeps circulating. The thinking is that there is enough oxygen in the blood that the brain will not starve for oxygen in the few minutes until advanced help arrives.

Lee

i agree with the above statement to make sure your insurance does cover a medical evacatuation- Not all insurance policies are the same.

another 2 cents worth of advice-- worrying isnt gonna do any good- like you said it can ruin a good time- all that money you paid to go to fabulous ports..

life is too short to worry about all the what ifs-- you can stay home and just go through the motions of living just to protect yourself IF something were to happen.

You have a chance to live your life=== do so and enjoy that cruise= (with a drs ok you should be fine)

Destiny is a port intensive cruise-- you are in one port every day-- make sure youleave time for relaxing

One thing is try not to worry. Something happened to my mom (they never have figured out what, they think just panic attacks) the day before her cruise. She decided to go anywhere but was freaking out the entire time. On Aruba, she thought she was having a heart attack. The kindly citizens of Aruba took her from her bus to a clinic where they figured out she wasn't having a panic attack. The cruise doc said she probably was just too worried about something happening that she caused it to happen, if that makes sense. Now, granted, that isn't quite the same as your DH's actual condition, but worrying can make things worse!

Prayers for you and you will have a great trip! My dad had a defib put in and lived with it for seven years. On a cruise we were planning in 2000, my mom felt exactly like you did, fearful of going far away, all of those feelings. They are valid but do what you can do and then go and have the time of your lives.

If your husband's doctor gives the all clear to go, then go. I am sure they have emergency equipment and meds on board, there are evacuations done regularly from ships. It is not likely your husband will need them if his doctor clears him, and you take care to measure your exposure to heat, fluids, strenuous activity, etc...

God Bless and live for fun now, you deserve it!!

Yes he goes to his cardiologist about every 4 months and to tell you the truth stess test do my husband no good. He gets false positives with those test. The doctor says its best to just go by how he is feeling. My husband claims he knows his chest pains to be able to tell if he is going to need an angioplasty. I'm almost thinking we should just call the doctor and see if we can just schedule and angiogram to check it out but they usually won't do that unless he is having pain.

I'm going on my third cruise in July. My husband and I will be on the Destiny. I'm really excited and can't wait to go but deep down I have this worry that I need some reassurance with. My husband had a heart attack in 2005 and need a stent. Everything worked out ok and about two months after that he needed a ballon and another stent. Since then he has been fine until Dec. of 2007 he needed another stent. Ok now its May. I'm deathly affraid of something happening to him on the ship. I'm afraid he will get chest pains and need an angioplasty while we are on our cruise. It would greatly easy my mind if I heard others experiences with this type of problem. We did purchase insurance thru our travel agent that would cover coast guard transportation if need. I just want to know that if this did happen, he would be ok and we would end up in a good hosptial with a good doctor who has done many angiograms. Does anyone have any advice that could calm my nerves :) or has anyone been thru this?

First best wishes on your cruise.

Second your husband needs to check with his physician and follow advice.

Third, do not expect access to US quality medical care anywhere on your cruise. You are going to be too far away. You can find good care on St. Thomas, and Saba (which has a med school) and Grenada (another med school) but that is about it. If your husband is going to need an angiogram he needs to get back to the US to get it done.

Hopefully everything will be fine, but please check with the physicians at home and follow their advice.

Thank you all for your prayers and advice. I know I shouldn't worry but its very hard not to. If I could just know for sure that if he did need an angiogram that they would be able to fly him back to the US in time. I mean if an artery gets blocked at 90% and angiogram needs to be done very very soon? what if the helicopter ride is back home is to long? Maybe I need to be on medication :)

My DH has 2 stents and has cruised fine with his, in fact I worry alot less when he is off work. Everyones advice here is the same I would give, with the addition, that he should tell his cardiologist where he is going and develop a plan, for what to do if he is not feeling up to par.

It would be VERY helpful for the doctors on ship and Medievac (heavens forbid) to have written notes from the doctors detailing his last history and physical, notes on the procedures and his last EKG.

I would also remind DH that the heat and changes in food can case fluid overload and have him try to stay away from too much alcohol, salt and fat.

Thank you all for your prayers and advice. I know I shouldn't worry but its very hard not to. If I could just know for sure that if he did need an angiogram that they would be able to fly him back to the US in time. I mean if an artery gets blocked at 90% and angiogram needs to be done very very soon? what if the helicopter ride is back home is to long? Maybe I need to be on medication :)

you will be evacuated to the nearest hospital== thats not saying it will be a US based one.

Depends where is closer to where the ship is.

the above person mentions fluid intake and watch salt. You might want to discus a menu with a person onboard if you have to watch this with your husband-- I get a mighty water weight gain while cruising-- I drink a lot of onboard water. Heat makes me retain water.

Yes I will retain fluid myself while on a cruise. The only alcohol he drinks is wine and maybe a pina colada or two. He has nitroglycerin pills he carries with him all the time. If he does get evacuated to the nearest hosptial how do they know if that hospital is capable to do angiograms or anything of that nature? Is anyone going to see to it that he gets to a place that can handle his needs

Yes I will retain fluid myself while on a cruise. The only alcohol he drinks is wine and maybe a pina colada or two. He has nitroglycerin pills he carries with him all the time. If he does get evacuated to the nearest hosptial how do they know if that hospital is capable to do angiograms or anything of that nature? Is anyone going to see to it that he gets to a place that can handle his needs

Here's the thing - he survived the heart attack. Now you both need to get on with the living life part. You'd be amazed how good the care is all over the world and with today's technology his own doctor may very well be able to look at tests sent from where ever you are.

Don't go looking for trouble - enjoy your grand adventure and celebrate life!!

I am sure it is very hard for you not to worry but you are making your self nuts thinking about all the horrible things that could happen and not how much fun you and your DH are going to have. You are going on a fabulous vacation, good food, good ports and being alone together. Think about the good things that will happen and try not to think about all that can and probably won't happen. I have not idea if this could happen but maybe your caring thoughts may make your DH upset too, and I would think that would not be a good thing for him.

I did not read this, but how does your DH feel about going on this cruise? Is he scared, is he second guessing himself about going, would he rather not go at all? I am going to take a stab and say no to the above but only because most men do not think like that LOL But if you and he are really not comfortable with the arrangements that a ship may or may not have perhaps land trips may be the best for you.

I do pray that you are able to take your cruise and that not only your DH is well before/during/after but you both have a fabulous time.

yes I'm sure the doctor on board would suggest to bring him to nearest hosptial but how quickly do they move to do things like this onboard? like for example, in december when he has his last stent put in, we went into the ER on a thursday afternoon he was having chest pains and feeling light headed and the doctor on call automatically gave him a shot to thin his blood in his stomach and hooked him up to the ekg machine at that point they got in touch with the on call cardiologist and given his history they decided to do an angiogram the next morning. So my question is, onboard would they be equipped with the medicine and machines like they are in a hosptial? I know the shot they gave him to thin his blood and the nitroglycerin pills helped him get thru the night to wait til the next morning to get an angiogram.

coco6,

I have seen the infirmary equipment on a couple of ships and it's more current than you might expect. Yes they have the meds you mentioned and the protocols are universal on when to use them.

Angiograms aren't reliable tests for coronary blockage. I realize that many facilities use them, but they're a decade or so behind the latest diagnostic options. Given that your husband has had stents placed, he has had the more reliable tests performed at some point if only during the stent placement.

Your husband has had the procedures to prolong his life. If he were to avoid living after having the procedures then what was gained? Relax. Put it out of your mind and have a great time. :)

Yes Peg222 your right, me harping on him everyday asking him how he feels doesn't help him. I know he gets worried but doesn't let me see it. If anything I think I make him think about it more then he would if I would just shut up. He is looking forward to the cruise and can't wait to go. I'm the one who keeps telling him bring this up...maybe I should just chill out a bit. I think all of you guys are right and I need to think more positive..its so hard to do :) I'm such a negative person. I want to thank all of you for you advice, you all have helped me feel much better about going on vacation. No more negative thinking for me til after the vacation :) hahaha no I'm kidding..I'll try and stop thinking so negatively.

Thanks everyone.

If he was to be evacuated from the ship via helicopter, it would NOT be a long ride, because choppers don't have that long a range. Remember, they would have to fly TO the ship to pick him up, and then back to the hospital. EM

Make sure that he is following the very strict diet that they put you on after getting a stent installed. Also make sure he is taking the medication they gave him to go with it also. After his 3rd Stent he should be ok. I would get Carnivals Travel Insurance and also get a back up insurance just to make sure.

Go here to InsureMyTrip.com http://www.insuremytrip.com

Fred

Archived