Regent v. Crystal Comparisons-who's done both

DAVE

Regent Navigator OCT 30, 2009 9 days VTG Suite = 5745(my error not balcony which brings R. cost up even more sorry):o Bal.=6700

Crystal serenity OCT 20, 2008 12 days = Bal. 6444

again NO PC or Txs. incl.

The more I read about FIXED seating - the more I am not liking it - guess we can eat in Bistro or order room service every nigt if I am "forced" into a Crystal decision (based on costs). RE: HAL - yes its true a few ships are trying DWYW dine when you want - I assume similar to NCLs freestyle- - which I love the flexability of - esp. on port days. I've signed up for the DWYW on the hAL Oosterdam for MEX Riv. this Fall for a medical seminar.

Leah

Leah,

The VTG prices for the Regent cruise are not correct. A Cat F suite (the least expensive balcony suite) is $5650 for the nine-day Regent cruise after subtracting the $800 air credit. For the least expensive veranda statement on the 12-day Crystal cruise, the fare from the Crystal web site is $6470.

Keep in mind when comparing prices that the Regent stateroom is larger than the Crystal stateroom. The Regent stateroom plus balcony is 356 sf, while the Crystal stateroom plus balcony is 269 sf. Regent has a separate tub and shower; Crystal has a shower over a tub.

Hope this helps.

Dave

(As an aside, for all those that think open seating is what everyone wants, Holland America now offers both so it gives a wonderful chance to measure the differences. The result: More want fixed seating. The demographics are a bit different, but the result can't be ignored.)

Interesting point. Our agency does not sell a lot of luxury product (I think I am our best client in that regard:rolleyes: ) but we do sell a lot of Princess. I would guess that at least 70% of the time Personal Choice is the dining default because the fixed seatings are waitlisted. Does the HAL/Princess experience translate directly to the luxury market?? Probably not, but it is interesting.

This has been a very enlightening thread.

The dining seating arrangements I find interesting. I guess we are creatures of habit, but we seem to dine at roughly the same time. On the Mariner, we tried to go relatively early as we were wanting a particular area. On the Crystal, we had a table for two, lovely area for the duration. So, for us, the Regent was a bit more of a hassle, but it was our fault for being particular.

DAY

Navigator '09

DATE

PORT

ARRIVE DEPART FriSep4Monte Carlo, Monaco 5:00pmSatSep5Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 8:00am9:00pmSunSep6Sorrento, Italy 8:00am6:00pmMonSep7Taormina (Giardini Naxos), Sicily, Italy 8:00am6:00pmTueSep8At SeaWedSep9Ephesus / Kusadasi, Turkey 8:00am11:00pmThuSep10Santorini, Greece 8:00am6:00pmFriSep11Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Voyager '09

DateDayPortDress CodeArriveDepartSep 18FridayMonte Carlo, Monaco 17:00Sep 19SaturdayCivitavecchia (for Rome), Italy 07:0019:00Sep 20SundaySorrento, Italy 08:0018:00Sep 21MondayNaxos (for Taormina), Sicily, Italy 08:0017:00Sep 22TuesdayCorfu, Greece 12:0019:00Sep 23WednesdayDubrovnik, Croatia 08:0017:00Sep 24ThursdayVenice, Italy 13:00 Sep 25FridayVenice, Italy Disembarks

Tending to like the Voyager itinerary more mostly because NO SEA days.

Interesting observation I made this morning about the C v. R. AND R. v. C -same exact thread I started Friday on each respective board - we can draw our own inference from these figures.

Regent Board

Total # posts = 34,731

R v. C. # views =517

Replies #= 27 (including my own of course:o )

Crystal Board

Total # posts = 33,055

C v. R #view 136

Replies # = 1

On a side note- since the topic of HAL has come up in terms of its being in the "Premium" class - an inewtresting thread was started about HAL clientele willing to pay more to "get more"-many wishing to see HAL return to its historical graneur days of the cruise expereince. It reminds me of the Regent thread surrouding "Value". Might want to take a read.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772516

Have a pleasent Sunday all.

Leah:)

Interesting observation I made this morning about the C v. R. AND R. v. C -same exact thread I started Friday on each respective board - we can draw our own inference from these figures.

Regent Board

Total # posts = 34,731

R v. C. # views =517

Replies #= 27 (including my own of course:o )

Crystal Board

Total # posts = 33,055

C v. R #views 136

Replies # = 1

After making that comment this mornig I wanted to make sure folks did not misunderstand or misinterpret my comment as intending a negative connotation. :o I was merely speculating that perhaps amongst the Crystal frequent browsers/posters - maybe they have not expereinced BOTh C & R, or perhaps they could not comment on the substantive content being asked, e.g. C v. R., or maybe they just did not have time to go on CC this wekend considering the # of views was almost 1/3 of Regent views.

Tending to like the Voyager itinerary more mostly because NO SEA days.

Both look like really nice itineraries. But remember that on a port-intensive trip like both of these itins, a sea-day might be nicer than you imagine. Touring all day every day, new port each day can be tiring, and a day at sea can be a relaxing bonus.

After making that comment this mornig I wanted to make sure folks did not misunderstand or misinterpret my comment as intending a negative connotation. :o I was merely speculating that perhaps amongst the Crystal frequent browsers/posters - maybe they have not expereinced BOTh C & R, or perhaps they could not comment on the substantive content being asked, e.g. C v. R., or maybe they just did not have time to go on CC this wekend considering the # of views was almost 1/3 of Regent views.

The Crystal board tends to be a fairly quiet place most weekends. Not sure why that is.

There have been quite a few Regent vs Crystal threads in the last while and beyond the fact they are both "luxury" lines, they are really different products as Eric pointed out in a different thread. Possibly people are tiring of the subject.

The discussion on this thread has not really been a comparison of the two lines when you get right down to it. The discussion has been much broader and that, I think, has generated more of a response. We have not tried Regent as yet simply because we have not found an itinerary that has "fit" our needs, but I have found this to be a most interesting discussion.

Both look like really nice itineraries. But remember that on a port-intensive trip like both of these itins, a sea-day might be nicer than you imagine. Touring all day every day, new port each day can be tiring, and a day at sea can be a relaxing bonus.

LOL:D Wendy - you don't know DH! But before the end of this thread you'll have developed a good idea & profile of him-more than you may have liked.:) DH is an opportunitist Type -A, must expereince everything , all, everywhere - otherwise he feels he has not maximized his use of time & $$. Since he's 13 years my senior - and almost reaching Medicare age although still practicing - I accept and appreciate the fact that he's just trying to experince as much of the wold as possible in the healthy & functional remaining years (hope that doesn't sound morbid) :o

Personally - I'm OK with an occasional sea day for reasons you stated-my excuse to go the spa!:D

Leah

You also cannot compare freestyle dining on Princess, ships that carry 2000-3500 passengers, with open seating on Regent or the other luxury lines with a small fraction of passengers. It's like comparing Applebees or Chilis or the Cheesecake factory where a hundred people are waiting for tables to a fine restaurant where you walk in and are attended to immediately.

I agree with wripro. Also, you may have a lovely cabin, be on a beautiful ship...... but, when you walk out of your cabin, there are up to 2000 other people. The same amount of people are waiting to go on and off of the ship -- waiting to dine.......:(

You also cannot compare freestyle dining on Princess, ships that carry 2000-3500 passengers, with open seating on Regent or the other luxury lines with a small fraction of passengers. It's like comparing Applebees or Chilis or the Cheesecake factory where a hundred people are waiting for tables to a fine restaurant where you walk in and are attended to immediately.

I don't believe anyone is trying to make that comparison and for the reasons you state. One point of comparison that is always cited in comparisons of Regent and Crystal is the open seating and that this somehow makes Regent the "better" luxury line. My point (and I believe Eric's) was that not everyone thinks open seating is necessarily better. On ships that offer both (HAL and Princess being the two cited) the fixed dining always books out first and is always waitlisted.

I don't believe that most Regent passengers believe that Regent is necessarily a "better" luxury line than Crystal. Rather, it is a different type of luxury line. In addition to "set" seating in the main dining room, the ships are larger, most alcoholic drinks are not included, tipping is not included. These are typically the reasons why many of us (Regent passengers) would choose Regent, Silversea or Seabourn over Crystal.

I am extremely impressed with everything I have read and heard about Crystal. If the "differences" I just stated changed (yes, I know they won't -- just wishful thinking), we would try Crystal in a minute! Holland America, on the other hand, ...... hmmmm....don't think so:-)

Holland America, on the other hand, ...... hmmmm....don't think so:-)

Hi travel2 - just curious - have you ever actuylly personally cruised HAL ?:) - I had not either before my 1st and only in '05 - my TA strongly urged me against it - calling what others and even those w/in the TA industyr term a "floating NH" - perhpas there is a large proportion ofthe >75 population partivculalry on the longer & world cruises BUT on the shorther 7-14 dayers there are px in their 30's 50's. In fact many of the HAL fans on the HAL board - if you check out their fotos - are 30's-50's. I am 51 and felt perfectly comfortable on the Masdam I did not feel like I was on a floating NH. I do defiitely pass on the Bingo thoguh - it can get quite "feisty" .:D

There is always a BIG difference between speculating about the differences and experiencing the differences.

There is also a big difference between what someone personally would consider (such as Crystal totally changing to the Regent format) and discussing or weighing the differences.

Do you have to go on a cruise, for instance, with 2,000 people to know that it is too many? No, I don't think so (although we have done it). No, have not sailed on HAL -- however, we have sailed on a cruise ship with too many people, service personnel expecting tips, paying for alcohol and/or soft drinks, being seated at a table for the entire cruise with people you would rather not be seated with........ don't think a person needs to experience each and every mainstream cruise line in order to have a clue as to what it may be like.

So, Boatman, what are the "BIG" differences between HAL, NCL, Carnival, etc. (note: fyi -- typing in all caps is considered yelling).

You do need to experience the difference in cruise lines in order to comment IMO. 2000 on NCL is far different than 2000 on HAL (actually HAL doesn't get that many). The ships make a big difference too as far as design, amenities, passenger to space ratio, etc.

You place HUGE (yes, I am emphasizing BIG time) weight on liquor inclusive, but for many it is a HUGE premium of little to no value or an extraordinary premium not worth the increased cruise fare.

You do not like fixed seating, but many have debunked that it is necessarily a bad thing. I have had open seating with people I didn't care for and have made friends for life with fixed seating. I have waited for almost an hour for a table and then it was by the kitchen on Regent, but have had some wonderful tables with fixed seating. And when you don't like who you are seated with, or your table location, on a fixed seating line, just ask to be moved. It is done all the time.

I have had terrible service on Regent (especially with untrained staff in the dining room), but great service on lines that have tipping. So what is the point you are making? There is far more to the dynamic than barwaiters hawking drinks in weird glasses. Demeaning all staff on lines that have tipping (Crystal, for example) is an inappropriate insult; not a justification.

So, discussing differences and discussing experiences are generally far more valuable for folks than demanding the way you like your cruise is the only "best" way.

I've been thinking about fixed seating. I think people like this because they are shy, it's too much of a challenge meeting new people every night. I've experienced this, although I admit after the first few times I learned to enjoy it. But I can sympathize with those who see this as an ordeal, and like to become familiar with the same set of people every night.

The following comment has nothing to do with the original question. But since the topic has veered somewhat, I just want to offer the following: Just came back from a transatlantic aboard Emerald Princess. Excellent service and good food. I have been on 4 Regent cruises , and although I prefer smaller ships, there was nothing I could find fault with Princess. Oh, and at less than $160 PP/ day including tips and drinks, it's hard to get upset at some minor inconveniences like a few people in front of you at the breakfast buffet.

BTW, the Emerald is a HUGE ship, around 3,000 passengers. But Princess has several main dining rooms, none of them any bigger that Compass Rose. Dinner was always a very nice experience, even if I had to buy my own wine.

I wonder if the transatlantic would be the best done "mega" at a less pp cost due to the fact there isn't a lot of people moving. You have embark/debark and that's about it. No ports, tendering, no excursions, all onboard activities so consequently fewer opportunities for error. Just a thought.

I've been thinking about fixed seating. I think people like this because they are shy, it's too much of a challenge meeting new people every night. I've experienced this, although I admit after the first few times I learned to enjoy it. But I can sympathize with those who see this as an ordeal, and like to become familiar with the same set of people every night.

We have been called a few things before, but shy has never been one of them!:D Quite simply we prefer fixed seating for the same reason we prefer to go to restaurants where we are able to make a reservation. We don't like to stand around in a bar/waiting area/lobby at the "mercy" of the current occupants of whatever table we are about to be seated at.

We always book first seating (it's close to when we normally eat and we like to enjoy the ship in the evening) and whether we are on Crystal, Celebrity or RCI, we know that we will be seated sometime around 6;15, we will have a leisurely dinner and be out of the Dining Room sometime around 8:15 with the rest of the night to enjoy what the ship has to offer.

You do need to experience the difference in cruise lines in order to comment IMO. 2000 on NCL is far different than 2000 on HAL (actually HAL doesn't get that many). The ships make a big difference too as far as design, amenities, passenger to space ratio, etc.

You place HUGE (yes, I am emphasizing BIG time) weight on liquor inclusive, but for many it is a HUGE premium of little to no value or an extraordinary premium not worth the increased cruise fare.

You do not like fixed seating, but many have debunked that it is necessarily a bad thing. I have had open seating with people I didn't care for and have made friends for life with fixed seating. I have waited for almost an hour for a table and then it was by the kitchen on Regent, but have had some wonderful tables with fixed seating. And when you don't like who you are seated with, or your table location, on a fixed seating line, just ask to be moved. It is done all the time.

I have had terrible service on Regent (especially with untrained staff in the dining room), but great service on lines that have tipping. So what is the point you are making? There is far more to the dynamic than barwaiters hawking drinks in weird glasses. Demeaning all staff on lines that have tipping (Crystal, for example) is an inappropriate insult; not a justification.

So, discussing differences and discussing experiences are generally far more valuable for folks than demanding the way you like your cruise is the only "best" way.

Who put "HUGE" weight on liquor on this thread? Who even put minor emphasis on liquor? This thread was Regent vs. Crystal. The thread wandered into mainstream cruise line differences. The all inclusivity, seating, tipping, ship size, etc. are obvious differences. Who demeaned "all staff on lines that have tipping?" To whom (or what) is your post in response to? You have given your negative opinions about Regent repeatedly -- what brought about the most recent rant? :confused: :confused: :confused:

We have been called a few things before, but shy has never been one of them!:D We always book first seating (it's close to when we normally eat and we like to enjoy the ship in the evening) and whether we are on Crystal, Celebrity or RCI, we know that we will be seated sometime around 6;15, we will have a leisurely dinner and be out of the Dining Room sometime around 8:15 with the rest of the night to enjoy what the ship has to offer.

Roland4 - We're with you about getting in & out for dinner!:D

We usally do early seating too-but since we're early eaters - we thought we'd try the dine when you want for added flexability on port days (not so much rushing) - if we decide to go HAL (already booked on a HAL Mex. Riveria Fall 08) - its the Med. we're in a quandry about.:o

Travelcat2 - Clealry Regent is a best fit that works best for you and I respect that. Although we're probably outliers in that we do not partake of any significant amount of alcohol- don't drink soda - so these are moot points for us. RE: HAL, Masdam is 1266 pax. and was not full on our CA/NE sailing - so we never felt crowded or stood in any lines for anything. We were always able to get either table for just the 2 of us or we ate in the Lido buffet which typically serves much of the same entrees that the DR was serving.;) The HAL Prisendam capacity is a mere 733 pax (just 33 more than Mariner & Voyager)- so certainly that number is not conducive to feeling like "too many" people.

JunPOA -- your first post stated "Here's the dilemma - when I do the Math based on cost pp/day cruise only for a Balcony cabin.

Regent=638/day

Crystal=537/day

HAL= 486/day (I know NOT considered in the luxury category but one we are considering)"

It seems like the posters on this thread have tried to address the issues. However, Regent customers do not necessarily understand the "HAL" experience. In terms of my posts, I look at Regent (Silversea & Seabourn) as a total experience (seating, size, tipping, service, inclusivity). We definltely do not drink enough to make the extra cost worth it. We sit at tables for two at times -- larger tables when we feel like it, and have room service as well. We don't want to "sign" for bottled water or anything else. The extra cost we pay is for the total experience.

If you do not put a lot of emphasis on the all-inclusivity factor, there is really no reason to go with Regent.

I wonder if the transatlantic would be the best done "mega" at a less pp cost due to the fact there isn't a lot of people moving. You have embark/debark and that's about it. No ports, tendering, no excursions, all onboard activities so consequently fewer opportunities for error. Just a thought.

Let me clarify. This was a 16 days TA from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. with several port stops l:Funchal, Gibraltar, Cadiz, Sardinia, Livorno, Civitavecchia and Marseilles. Disembarkation at each port was very efficient. I never waited more than a few minutes to go down to port.

Furthermore, everybody that worked on the ship that I came in contact with seemed genuinely happy to be there and to be of service. I was the first one surprised at the level of service. This was a family trip organized by my parents who are frequent Princess cruisers. I still prefer smaller ships, but more due to an intangible, not because there were any negatives due to size.

If you do not put a lot of emphasis on the all-inclusivity factor, there is really no reason to go with Regent.

Travelcat, I beg to differ, it's more than the all-inclusive aspect. It's the size of the suites, the ship size-passengers-staff ratio, it's the service, it's the transfers being included, etc. etc.

As for inclusivity, remember that it "includes" tips, not just drinks (and drinks includes water as well as soft drinks and liquor). And room service, and specialty dining, and exercise classes (what have I missed?)

Archived