Regent v. Crystal Comparisons-who's done both

Dan, those who've done BOTH Crystal & Regent

Quote:

I'ved been on all the luxury lines, and here is what I suggest..

If you want a larger ship with refined service, choose Crystal (semi-inclusive). If you want a laid back luxury experience, choose Regent (all-inclusive). If you want a smaller ship experience with fine service and nice balconies, choose Silversea (all-inclusive). If you want a large yacht-like experience with the finest food and service on the seas, choose Seabourn (all-inclusive). If you want to cruise in the finest style on true yachts with wonderful service and food, choose SeaDream. Keep in mind, Seadream and Seabourn can call on ports large ships simply can't.

I hope this helps!

Host Dan

Hi Dan, Came across your quote as we too are celebrating a delayed 30th weeding anniversary and ISO a Med. cruise Fall 2009. Based on your info above - it seems some of Regent meets our needs e.g. "laid back" while some of Crystal is a beter fit e.g does not need to be alcohol inclusive.The only draw-backs on Crystals (from what I've read) are that gratuities are extra (less important), more important is the issues of required formal attire for evenings:eek: . The last thing my husband is going to want to do on vacation is put on a suit FORGET about a Tux. He feels its his vacation which translates into vacation from proper formal /business attire. I feel similarly although not with as much passion. We don't really drink - so the appeal of inclusive alcohol is NOT an enticement. Here's the dilemma - when I do the Math based on cost pp/day cruise only for a Balcony cabin.

Regent=638/day

Crystal=537/day

HAL= 486/day (I know NOT considered in the luxury category but one we are considering)

I was surprise actually that HAL's pricing was so close to Crytal's considering they are NOT in the same level of luxury category.

Is it possible for someone to still ennjoy and feel comfortable on a Crystal cruise - if we have to be quarantined to our cabin/balcony after 6pm in the evening because we boycott dressing up on formal evenings). We do tend to spend ALL day in port (1st ports, 2nd price, 3rd pampering/customer service ) drive our selection) drive our With high activity excursions in port, once we return to ship - its pretty much eat then sleep.:o

We're usualy too exhaused to be interested in the evening entertainment/shows but for sea days the Crystal lecture /enrnichment series could be appealing.

We both work long hours - so its not that we're antisocial - but we want to be able to focus on enjoying each other's company (its our anniversary) rather than mingling with other pasengers - NOT intended to sound snobby:)

Any suggestions?

PS In case you cannot already infer - we don't need BINGO !:D

lThanks !eah, RN

PS Have already received 2 helpfil hints from Dan & Kitty from the Luxury cruising forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772098

On HAL you'll also have to pay $10 per day per person for tips and you'll also have to pay for soft drinks, bottled water and any other beverage.

Those items are all included on Regent. I suspect Crystal tips are higher per day than HAL.

Regent Voyager and Mariner are both all-suites and all-verandahs - which you have to pay more for on HAL and Crystal.

Make sure you compare same-size cabins when you make your comparisons. And factor in the priceless advantage of a smaller passenger load - 700 on Regent and about 1000 on Crystal and even more depending on which HALL ship you select

Whatever you decide have a wonderful cruise!

I would say that Crystal is slightly more formal in general than Regent, not just in attire on formal nights. I felt a little more like I needed to be on my best behavior.

Regent felt more like spending a vacation with people that you know and are more comfortable. Still very classy, but easy going at the same time. This is especially true on the PG, but was also the case on the Mariner.

The interesting exception is that I found Crystal catered to younger cruisers more than Regent. I have taken my children on Crystal but not on Regent (mostly because I don't want to share my wife when we are on Regent).

Just curious when Host Dan made that post. I have a couple of questions about it. In what way is Crystal semi-inclusive? It is my understanding that neither cocktails or tips are included. They also have "set" seating (except in speciality restaurants). Second, (or is this third?) -- Silversea also has small ships -- why can Seabourn and Seadream go into ports that cannot accommodate Silversea?

I understand that you have been on all luxury and semi-luxury cruise lines (and prefer Seabourn) -- still, I have a great deal of respect for your opinions.

While Crystal has been very highly rated. . . a few recent reviews and/or comments have been been less that spectacular. Also read recently that Seabourn's staff receives a penalty if service isn't perfect -- not a criticism -- just surprised -- (if it is true) that they have to work extra hours if there are any service issues.

In terms of Regent vs. Crystal -- most polls rate these ships as follows:

1. Crystal/Regent (within 1/10 of a point in Conde Nast)

2. Silversea

3. Seabourn

Some people do not believe in "polls" -- even though they are fairly consistant. They are what they are -- you can believe it . . . or not. If I were to pick a cruise line that was not all-inclusive, Crystal would definitely be my choice.

A major differance to us is that Regent has open seating in the major resturants. Crystal, which we have not tried, has a set time for dinner and you are with the same dinner companions unless you or they request a change.

[

quote=MtnDriver;14596386]. I felt a little more like I needed to be on my best behavior.

Mtn driver - Oh geeze - the last thing we want on vacation is to be on our best behavior:rolleyes: isn't that what we have to do at work everyday?

TedC - good point on auto 10% for tips on HAL.

travelcat2 - thanks for the ratings - interesting to find that Crystal & Regent are tied in 1st place. IMO -Polls "can be" good indicators - depending on who is sampled , how many are sampled, and how the questions are framed.

I'm thinking I have time to watch and monitor pricing w/o sacrificing on cabin choice - the latest I was thinking of waiting was not < 6 months out from sailing date - BUT sooner if significant enticements are offered.

Thanks all/Leah:)

JunePOA

I'm surprised you found the per diem on Crystal less than that of Regent as I've done that calculation several times for a Med Cruise and have not come to the same conclusion. I'm wondering if you considered that airfare is included on Regent and that tipping on Crystal is not? I don't think our bar tab would be that significant but the other two items are considerable and that is the main reason that Regent has come out on top for us. Also enjoy the open dining, the smaller ship and the laid back atmosphere (but actually like dressing up for the occasional informal or formal night).

David

JunePOA

I'm surprised you found the per diem on Crystal less than that of Regent as I've done that calculation several times for a Med Cruise and have not come to the same conclusion. I'm wondering if you considered that airfare is included on Regent and that tipping on Crystal is not? I don't think our bar tab would be that significant but the other two items are considerable and that is the main reason that Regent has come out on top for us. Also enjoy the open dining, the smaller ship and the laid back atmosphere (but actually like dressing up for the occasional informal or formal night).

David

Hi David - I did know about the tips not being included although "some" have said the TAs often throw this portion in - as to airfare for Regent - I beleive this is only true on certain sailings/ promos but please correct me if I'm wrong. I too was amazed at the difference - especially between HAL & Crystal - so little. I did the calculations based on cruise only no P.C. or tx. for a balcony and divided the quote by # of days for a cost pp/day. It seemed amazingly for C. to come in that low-I expected much more. (I used "VTG" dot com for the quotes - which I've found very easy to use for browsing pruposes - never purchased through them though)

Travelcat2,

This was originally posted under "Luxury Cruising" part of the CC site. The reason I claim Crystal to be "semi-inclusive" is that they include water, soft drinks, and wine/cocktails at dinner.

Host Dan

No, Cystal doesn't offer complementary wine or cocktails with dinner. However, there are several parties such as the captain's welcoming and farewell parties as well as previous Crystal passengersand new to Crystal passenger cocktail parties where all alchoholic beverages are complementary. Additionally, I feel that Crystal's prices for wine and other beverages are priced fairly.

Nancy

IMO I think it's difficult to be comparing Crystal and Regent. They're quite different especially considering the size of the standard cabins. You will need to pay quite a bit more to come close to a cabin the same size as Regent. The set dining has become a deal breaker for me, just too spoiled eating when, where and with whom I want. All inclusive liquor is wonderful IMO, no more signing chits.

Hi David - I did know about the tips not being included although "some" have said the TAs often throw this portion in - as to airfare for Regent - I beleive this is only true on certain sailings/ promos but please correct me if I'm wrong. I too was amazed at the difference - especially between HAL & Crystal - so little. I did the calculations based on cruise only no P.C. or tx. for a balcony and divided the quote by # of days for a cost pp/day. It seemed amazingly for C. to come in that low-I expected much more. (I used "VTG" dot com for the quotes - which I've found very easy to use for browsing pruposes - never purchased through them though)

Hi JunPOA,

I was also surprised that there was such a significant difference between Crystal and Regent. Just out of curiosity, what were the specific Crystal and Regent cruises you compared?

Dave

Just curious when Host Dan made that post. I have a couple of questions about it. In what way is Crystal semi-inclusive? It is my understanding that neither cocktails or tips are included. They also have "set" seating (except in speciality restaurants). Second, (or is this third?) -- Silversea also has small ships -- why can Seabourn and Seadream go into ports that cannot accommodate Silversea?

I understand that you have been on all luxury and semi-luxury cruise lines (and prefer Seabourn) -- still, I have a great deal of respect for your opinions.

While Crystal has been very highly rated. . . a few recent reviews and/or comments have been been less that spectacular. Also read recently that Seabourn's staff receives a penalty if service isn't perfect -- not a criticism -- just surprised -- (if it is true) that they have to work extra hours if there are any service issues.

In terms of Regent vs. Crystal -- most polls rate these ships as follows:

1. Crystal/Regent (within 1/10 of a point in Conde Nast)

2. Silversea

3. Seabourn

Some people do not believe in "polls" -- even though they are fairly consistant. They are what they are -- you can believe it . . . or not. If I were to pick a cruise line that was not all-inclusive, Crystal would definitely be my choice.

For the record, anyone can check the Conde Nast Gold List rankings for themsleves at http://www.concierge.com/tools/travelawards/goldlist/2008/category/cruiselines

There has been much talk about polls and how they are really very, very inaccurate. You need to really look at them to see how off the wall some of them are and, of course, remember that the demographics of who voted (and how many times) readily alters results. A line with more European passengers or significantly smaller ships (such as Seabourn/Silversea) or with less ships (Crystal/Seabourn) couldn't possibly have the the same number of voters...if their passengers even read the magazine doing the poll.

I would urge that passenger experience, knowledgeable travel agents and understanding the cruise product (as they are different) should be considered first and foremost.

As to the differences, they are fundamentally so different that if you truly enjoy Crystal Regent probably would not be the best choice and visa versa. Crystal has smaller cabins, more formality, excellent enrichment, fixed dining and essentially pay as you go drinks. Regent has larger suites, less formality, decent enrichment, open seating and is liquor inclusive. Crystal passengers tend to focus on the formality, enrichment and fixed dining with the size of the cabin not being a huge issue. Regent's passengers obviously have a far different approach.

(As an aside, for all those that think open seating is what everyone wants, Holland America now offers both so it gives a wonderful chance to measure the differences. The result: More want fixed seating. The demographics are a bit different, but the result can't be ignored.)

Yes, Eric, many of us who prefer things like open dining, no tipping, and inclusion of beverages often fall into the error of believing that all cruise guests feel the same. As you correctly point out, not all cruisers feel the same way about these things.

I know some folks who were on a Crystal cruise right after 9/11, and the ship was only about 24% full due to the national disaster. The ship went to open dining because of the low occupancy. And many guests were unhappy about the open dining -- as they wanted the traditional fixed seating. Some of these folks I know also believe that signing for drinks and tipping are the way it should be done on a cruise.

And you are so correct -- nothing beats good research before you book!

Hi JunPOA,

I was also surprised that there was such a significant difference between Crystal and Regent. Just out of curiosity, what were the specific Crystal and Regent cruises you compared?

Dave

DAVE

Regent Navigator OCT 30, 2009 9 days VTG Suite = 5745(my error not balcony which brings R. cost up even more sorry):o Bal.=6700

Crystal serenity OCT 20, 2008 12 days = Bal. 6444

again NO PC or Txs. incl.

The more I read about FIXED seating - the more I am not liking it - guess we can eat in Bistro or order room service every nigt if I am "forced" into a Crystal decision (based on costs). RE: HAL - yes its true a few ships are trying DWYW dine when you want - I assume similar to NCLs freestyle- - which I love the flexability of - esp. on port days. I've signed up for the DWYW on the hAL Oosterdam for MEX Riv. this Fall for a medical seminar.

Leah

There has been much talk about polls and how they are really very, very inaccurate. You need to really look at them to see how off the wall some of them are and, of course, remember that the demographics of who voted (and how many times) readily alters results. A line with more European passengers or significantly smaller ships (such as Seabourn/Silversea) or with less ships (Crystal/Seabourn) couldn't possibly have the the same number of voters...if their passengers even read the magazine doing the poll.

As mentioned above, some people use polls as a guidelines -- others choose not to. However, I did want to address the number of voters for smaller ships. Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn and Seadream (hope I didn't miss any) are typically rated in the same category -- other times they are not (size related). Seadream won over both Regent and Crystal a couple of years ago (the smallest ship in the category). If you look at only the smaller ships, the order was Seadream followed by Silversea and then Seabourn.

I would suspect that there are many more readers of Conde Nast (typically slanted towards luxury travel) than there are of luxury cruise ship boards. If you check the HAL board, for instance, there are probably 50 posts for every 1 in Silversea. The opinions of those who do vote on Conde Nast or post reviews on CC for the luxury lines may be small in number -- however, this does not affect their validity of their vote or their opinion.

Our travel, in terms of selecting a itinerary and/or cruise line always comes from research. Hearing experiences from other travelers is extremely important -- polls have their place as does advice from professionals.

In terms of Regent vs. Crystal or HAL, try doing a comparison list that includes items like cabin size, ship size, reviews, airfare included?, amount you expect to spend on soft drinks, water (included on Regent and Crystal -- not on HAL)........ Putting them side by side may help.

In fact, Crystal and Regent are not voted upon the same category as Silversea, Seabourn and Sea Dream. The former two are in the medium size ship category as they carry 700-1000 passengers. The latter three are in the small ship category as they carry fewer than 500 passengers. All that said, polls are indicative at the best and many times what separates first from third is a fraction of a point. And perhaps the reason Regent or Crystal score higher is in the entertainment area which is always more elaborate on larger ships than on smaller ones. If big Vegas style production shows are important to you, this should be taken into consideration. If not, well....enough said!

In fact, Crystal and Regent are not voted upon the same category as Silversea, Seabourn and Sea Dream. The former two are in the medium size ship category as they carry 700-1000 passengers. The latter three are in the small ship category as they carry fewer than 500 passengers. All that said, polls are indicative at the best and many times what separates first from third is a fraction of a point. And perhaps the reason Regent or Crystal score higher is in the entertainment area which is always more elaborate on larger ships than on smaller ones. If big Vegas style production shows are important to you, this should be taken into consideration. If not, well....enough said!

I suppose it depends upon the poll. Think you forgot about the Navigator -- it does qualify in the small ship category in most polls. Mariner and Voyager have been in both mid-size and large categories - again, dependent upon the poll.

From what I've read, Crystal is tops in the area of entertainment (Regent has made many changes in this area in the past year -- can't imagine a high rating in this category). Regent does get rated tops for their "regular" suites (I believe higher than any cruise ship -- not only luxury). Crystal is more formal than Regent (as is Silversea and Seabourn).

On the low end, Silversea and Regent have had inconsistant food issues (not on every cruise -- intermittant inconsistency(?). Seabourn gets dinged on the lack of "true" balconies. As I've said many times -- nothing is perfect.

Another big issue for some people is ship size. Some like the huge ships with malls, ice skating rinks, rock climbing. . . .others like the medium size ships -- while some prefer the smaller ships.

In terms of whether or not the Med. cruise JunPOA is looking at includes airfare -- the website will have that information (our Med. cruise in the fall -- Regent Voyager -- does include airfare.

We have cruised on Crystal, Regent and Silverseas. Our favorite is Crystal but we like Regent also. Our first Mariner cruise was so miserable from a service standpoint, I was surprised I could talked my husband into trying it again. We thoroughly enjoyed our second cruise on the Mariner. We have the back-to-back crossing booked in November on the Voyager. We have discovered that making friends on ship is easier with the assigned seating. Maybe we are just quiet folks. Don't know. We adjust to the ship we are on. Country club casual would be our first choice but go more formal when needed. Tipping has never been a big issue for us because we usually tip extra on the all-inclusive lines. On our last Crystal cruise some of the wine ordered at dinner would more than likely cost extra on Regent. Neither of us drink during the daytime. Every cruise we take brings different experiences. That Mariner cruise mentioned above was a three-day sampler. Was I glad we tried Regent again. Looking forward to November. Who knows what next year will bring. Maybe we'll try Seabourn. I know we'll have fun.

RE: HAL - yes its true a few ships are trying DWYW dine when you want - I assume similar to NCLs freestyle- - which I love the flexability of - esp. on port days. I've signed up for the DWYW on the hAL Oosterdam for MEX Riv. this Fall for a medical seminar.

Leah

FYI, what you have on HAL is different from NCL...a lot different. Also many people (and many TAs) think that DWYW is automatic. It isn't because everyone on the ship has it. You need to select early, late or open. People assume DWYW means open. It doesn't! (There is always room in opens eating because the greater demand is for fixed seating.)BTW, early and late fixed seatings are downstairs, open is upstairs.

NCL's Freestyle is essentially fighting for reservations to get into the restaurants you want when you want or settling to eat elsewhere. I am not too sure about its Freestyle 2.0 which is being rolled out.

FYI, what you have on HAL is different from NCL...a lot different. Also many people (and many TAs) think that DWYW is automatic. It isn't because everyone on the ship has it. You need to select early, late or open. People assume DWYW means open. It doesn't! (There is always room in opens eating because the greater demand is for fixed seating.)BTW, early and late fixed seatings are downstairs, open is upstairs.

NCL's Freestyle is essentially fighting for reservations to get into the restaurants you want when you want or settling to eat elsewhere. I am not too sure about its Freestyle 2.0 which is being rolled out.

Eric - Excellent points on both the HAL & NCL issue. For HAL we did a specific request for open (DWYW) over early. DH is perhaps atypical (I don't know how to say this tactfully or w/o insulting him) but suffice it to say - when it comes to food-he's a happy camper whatever I put in front of him - as long as his hunger is satisfied. That's not to say he doesn't enjoy a good steak or salmon etc. - guess I'm lucky he's not picky about the quality of food presented before him - its more about quantity.:D So for us - dining, drinks, & entertainment are a non-consideration for deciding on a ship/line. On the Masdam a few years ago -he was happy as a clam eating in their bufet everynight & we were greatly impressed by the white glove service and especially by being geeted at every meal by name by BOTH the buffet & restaurant wait staff. I also don't care much about the food - BUT do want to be pampered and expect high quality customer service.

NCL- Since we had an OS both sailiings - never had a problem w/ reservations-handled by concierage-and we tend to eat early anyway (medical necessity)-so never had a problem getting a res. in any restaurant.

Leah

Regent relaxes their dress code in the Med on 7 day cruises. If you pick one of those, he can wear a silk tee and sport coat on informal nights. That is as formal as one has to get, and The Verandah is a less formal option that the main dining room. You'd probably like a Voyager Med cruise. I loved mine, but 2009 is a ways off, so you'd have to make sure the dress code did not change. However, The Venandah would still do for you.

Thanks for all your terrific in-put.

Regarding cabins between the N. & V. - if alll we need is a minimum balcony AND a bath tub in the bathroom, would the category "F" work for us? Looks like on one ship a minimum balcony has a tub but on the other it does not.

I just did a save Voyager on the RCCS website on a Sept. 2009 Med 7 day-looks like it includes std. air.

Archived