Dress Code - Beat a dead horse?

Frank12

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I just returned from the Liberty and I must say I was very impressed with my fellow cruisers dining room attire. Even with the new "relaxed" dress code, the dining room attire was impressive. Elegant night looked just like the formal nights I'm used to. I didn't see anyone without a tie on during the first night ( a few on the second elegant night ) but all still looked good. Even on regular nights, most people wore dress pants with collared shirts. One or two pairs of shorts were seen, but even they looked good - not raggy old blue jeans. Cudos to my fellow cruisers! You looked great:D

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I just returned from the Liberty and I must say I was very impressed with my fellow cruisers dining room attire. Even with the new "relaxed" dress code, the dining room attire was impressive. Elegant night looked just like the formal nights I'm used to. I didn't see anyone without a tie on during the first night ( a few on the second elegant night ) but all still looked good. Even on regular nights, most people wore dress pants with collared shirts. One or two pairs of shorts were seen, but even they looked good - not raggy old blue jeans. Cudos to my fellow cruisers! You looked great:D

I'm glad to hear that. I haven't been on a ship since the dress code was relaxed.

The majority of the people that pay good money for a vacation, whether it be on land or a cruise will dress up appropriately for the occasion. Its only common sense.

Fred

Fred,

We cruised with my parents this time and mom said the same thing...one of the reasons people go on a cruise is so they can dress up for dinner.

Everyone looked nice and it was a great cruise.:)

I'm sure that there are many folks who are cheerleaders for other lines (as we are for Carnival...) who would be shocked by the attire in main dining. Many of these folks believe that Carnival guest dress in Speedos and t-shirts on formal night. That just isn't the case. As Fred said, most folks understand that they have an investment in their vacation and want to make it as special as possible...

That's always been my experience as well.

Frank,

How can that be since the citizens of Slobbia say the dress code was relaxed at the insistence of the vast majority of passengers. They say that only a few, and I quote, "OLD FOSSILS" wanted to keep the formal dress codes. You must have only noticed the very few dressed in their very best bowling shirts instead of the cruising majority that insist on casual in all things. You could not have seen what you thought you saw.

Dan

Dan,

I'm just telling you what I saw. I really expected to notice a difference from past cruises, but did not. Everyone was dressed very well in the dining room.

I am one who personally does not care what others wear in the dining room. Shorts do not bother me, but I do not care to wear them in the dining room. If others do -so be it. It will not ruin my dinner or my dining experience.

It was just real refreshing to see that most folks dressed for the occaision.

Dan,

I'm just telling you what I saw. I really expected to notice a difference from past cruises, but did not. Everyone was dressed very well in the dining room.

I am one who personally does not care what others wear in the dining room. Shorts do not bother me, but I do not care to wear them in the dining room. If others do -so be it. It will not ruin my dinner or my dining experience.

It was just real refreshing to see that most folks dressed for the occaision.

Frank,

The sarcasm of my post was aimed at the "citizens of Slobbia," not at you. I know what you saw was reality. Not the phony "reality of "reality shows" that the c's of S want so disparately to actually be real.

Dan

I just sailed on the Mircale. I thought everyone, except for a man in a Frankenstein costume, dressed well in the dinning room. With that said, I'm not against anyone wearing a nice pair of jeans w/ a nice polo. Even when someone wore flipflops it was paired with a cute sundress. I didn't feel offended in anyway. I'm sure those who sail on "classy" cruise lines would have fainted at some stuff (like the two guys at the table next to me w/ the fake tux tee shirt .... but not on formal night).

I'm glad to hear this. On our other cruises, we were always dressed appropriately for formal nights. Our September cruise is to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and we're planning to go with tux and gown. I was starting to worry we'd be a little overdressed.

I'll be very curious to see how things flesh out in the next 60 days or so since the rules did not officially go into effect until this weekends sailings, and a lot of people still don't realize the change occurred.

IMO what you are going to see is a lot of resort casual in the Caribbean, maybe men in shirts and ties, but I expect suits to disappear and be replaced with sport coats over polo shirts or over a dress shirt and a tie.

I do not expect to see a lot of shorts, but I do think there will be quiet a few jeans.

I will be interested to see how it all turns out after it has time to settle in.

Just wondering since the new dress code isn't or wasn't supposed to go into effect until the 19th of May how many people actually know or knew that the dress code was even changed before they boarded the ship?

Bill

Just wondering since the new dress code isn't or wasn't supposed to go into effect until the 19th of May how many people actually know or knew that the dress code was even changed before they boarded the ship?

Bill

Really the only change is that shorts are now officially sanctioned on non-formal nights.

Fred,

one of the reasons people go on a cruise is so they can dress up for dinner.

Since when?

Did you park outside both dining rooms for both seatings? Which seating did you have?I presume 2nd?

You made sure to include kids and their footwear in your scientific observations as well.

As far as everyone wearing a tie? Come on.:rolleyes: Even Dan40 will be able to provide percentages to dispute that claim.A 100% compliance,no way.

I think this is just an attempt to lead people into a false sense of "Formal night still exists".

IMHO, rules aside, I believe those who appreciate appropriate dress - who were taught good manners and some social skills - will dress for the occasion...whatever that may be. Those without such skills will not.

There is a big difference between grabbing a Big Mac at McDonalds or a slice from the local pizzeria - or dinner at the local diner..and eating at a really nice restaurant. Some folks were taught how to dress, others weren't. Some love to get all gussied up - some don't.

I would expect that most people will continue to enjoy the dining experience - and will dress accordingly. Those who don't will stick out like a sore thumb, I suppose.

Whichever way it goes, it certainly won't change my cruise experience. I am not affected at all by what someone choses to wear in the dining room. I just wonder why anyone would find throwing on a pair of slacks and a shirt or a pretty dress would be such an awful vacation-ruining experience. Interesting, huh?

We just returned from the Conquest and on formal night(s), the majority of the passengers at least made an attempt at "formal". First formal moreso than second. However, I did see more than one person in the dining room on formal night in baggy shorts (and one in a sleeveless tee with his shorts).

Our table (4 unrelated couples) all looked very nice, three of the men in suits with ties and one in a tux.

IMHO' date=' rules aside, I believe those who appreciate appropriate dress - who were taught good manners and some social skills - will dress for the occasion...whatever that may be. Those without such skills will not.

[/quote']

What type of dress is appropriate for a dining place that has its diners whooping and yelling at the top of their voices and has waiters dancing on the tables and a stage type area,and lastly a conga line going around the whole dining area while others are waving napkins in the air?:D

Steve

Really the only change is that shorts are now officially sanctioned on non-formal nights.

I don't think shorts are "officially" sanctioned. The literature on the Ecstasy, from which we returned just today, clearly said no shorts or bathing suits allowed in the dining room at dinner time. The only ones I saw were the night we had just left Cozumel. One party of six showed up in shorts, t shirts, halter tops, and even a cheap parreo wrapped around a bathing suit. They walked right in when the doors were opened. The head waiters didn't say a word, but they did roll their eyes.

What type of dress is appropriate for a dining place that has its diners whooping and yelling at the top of their voices and has waiters dancing on the tables and a stage type area,and lastly a conga line going around the whole dining area while others are waving napkins in the air?:D

Steve

I believe the subject was dress codes and such, not behavior... or did I miss something?

Believe it or not, there are dining venues where appropriate dress is required or desired in spite of the lively entertainment that may take place during or after the meal..

Anyway, like I said, it matters not to me one way or the other. Like others on this forum, I'm just giving my humble opinion or observation.

Archived