Ocean Liners In Movies

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

-"Big Broadcast of 1938" featured a model of the Normandie.

-"Parent Trap" 1990's re-make featured Queen Elizabeth 2.

-The French Line" probably the Liberte.

-"Royal Wedding" exterior shot looked like the United States.

-"Hijack the Queen Mary" (two thumbs down) non-other than the Queen Mary.

-"Crossings" (Daniel Steel TV movie...does that count?) filmed on the Queen Mary, eventhough it was supposed to be her rival the Normandie.

-"Gentleman Prefer Blondes" the Liberte.

• 1 month later...

The recent dvd/video release of the caper After the Sunset features some scenes shot aboard the Radisson Seven Seas Navigator. It's not a great film but, there are some nice Caribbean locales and footage of the Atlantis Hotel. A good pre-cruise rental to get you in the mood for the tropics.

Cruiserking

• 4 weeks later...

The SS United States was used in the Disney movie Bon Voyage. Most scenes were onboard , but 2 weren't. She was also in Gentlemen Prefer Brunnettes. And lastly her exterior was used for the TV movie Munster Go Home.

• 3 weeks later...

How about the Gale Storm Show aka Oh Susanna ?

The name of the cruise ship was "SS Ocean Queen" on the show. Some of the sceens were filmed on the "SS President Wilson".

The steam ship PRESIDENT WILSON was the last of the grand liners built for the American President Lines on the United States' west coast. Built by Bethlehem Steel Company in Alameda, California in 1948, the ship was 610 feet in length and displaced 15,466 tons. She plied the Far East trade until 1973 when she made a final `round the world farewell cruise before being salvaged

• 9 months later...
Let's restart it, then.

My favorite is An Affair to Remember, starring Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, and SS Constitution.

Next...

In addition to "An Affair To Remember" (virtually all of the shooting was on a soundstage built to identical specs from the ship) and the famous Lucy episode (also sets) (both were the result of American Export Lines -- perhaps head of its time -- product placement advertising campaign), the Constitution was also prominently featured in a 1986 "Magnum PI" episode while she cruised the Hawaiin Islands in her final years. Unlike her earlier forays into film, this episode was filmed almost entirely onboard. And at the very end, the "bad" guy really did jump off the bow of the ship!

If you look closely, you might even see me in my first screen appearance as a "back ground" actor. Mr. Selleck was (and presumably still is) a genuinely nice guy.

For more on the Connie: SS Independence & SS Constitution

• 1 year later...

-"Gentleman Prefer Blondes" the Liberte.

Nope - "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" used exterior shots of Ile de France although the shipboard scenes were filmed on a Hollywood soundstage.

"How to Marry a Millionaire" and "Sabrina" used exterior shots of Liberte

Boat Trip was not on Renaissance, it was on the European Vision or its sister ship. They embarked in Houston, Texas.

Wrong again.

"Boat Trip" was filmed aboard either Olympic Voyager or Olympic Explorer during a 10 day Med Cruise - many of the island scenes were in Greece.

• 1 month later...

When I was 17 years old, I was aboard the S/S Marconi for what had to be one of the worst movies ever made on a ship or anywhere else. It was fun to meet some of the somewhat obscure celebrities on board (Joann Worley, Rip Taylor and a couple of others I don't recall), watch the scenes being shot and we even hung out with a Telly Savalas look-alike. We went to a beach together and people were approaching him from all over asking for autographs. It was a riot.

Anyway, about two years later we got to see the movie, named "Don't Miss the Boat" being broadcast on a cable TV station. It was incredible how poor it was in every respect. Regardless, it fun to see some of the people we had met on the ship.

I have wondered where one could get a copy of that movie just for fun. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to let me know.

NYCruzr

The ship that was used in the film 'An Affair to Remember' is the SS United States and it is now rusting, sadly, at a pier in Philadelphia, while her fans try to earn/raise enough money to refit her for sailing once again. Billed as the fastest ship of its time, it was only in service for 17 years - at that time, a moderate length of time. Apparently the hull is intact but there is so much asbestos in the fittings and flooring that it would take several million dollars to have OSHA come in and remove the hazardous materials. Every time I am in Philly and go down I-95 towards the airport I pass the ship. It brings a lump to my throat. At least there are some people who care about it enough to want to try to bring it into service. For more information you can visit their web site (which escapes me for the moment). Just Google the S.S. United States or the S.S. United States Foundation. There is a commemorative 'coffee table' book out that has been sold to raise funds for the ship's refurbishing.

Yeah, I know - more information than you EVER wanted to know! Sorry about that.

The ship that was used in the film 'An Affair to Remember' is the SS United States and it is now rusting, sadly, at a pier in Philadelphia, while her fans try to earn/raise enough money to refit her for sailing once again. Billed as the fastest ship of its time, it was only in service for 17 years - at that time, a moderate length of time. Apparently the hull is intact but there is so much asbestos in the fittings and flooring that it would take several million dollars to have OSHA come in and remove the hazardous materials. Every time I am in Philly and go down I-95 towards the airport I pass the ship. It brings a lump to my throat. At least there are some people who care about it enough to want to try to bring it into service. For more information you can visit their web site (which escapes me for the moment). Just Google the S.S. United States or the S.S. United States Foundation. There is a commemorative 'coffee table' book out that has been sold to raise funds for the ship's refurbishing.

Yeah, I know - more information than you EVER wanted to know! Sorry about that.

Sorry, Daggmar. Though the S.S. US is more like a much bigger sister, the ship in "An Affair to Remember" was the S.S. Constitution. The exterior shots are of her and the interiors, for the most part, were expertly recreated on a sound stage. American Export Line was very good at getting her in the movies and on TV ... you may also remember Lucy being lowered by helicopter onto her deck. American Hawaii used to sometimes screen An Affair to Remember on her sailings.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so this was a made for TV movie: made in the mid 70's

Death Cruise

I can't remember what ship but the stars were:

Richard Long

Kate Jackson

Tom Bosley

Celeste Holm

Edward Alber (jr)

Michael Constantine

Polly Bergen

According to IMDB, it was filmed aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

• 2 months later...
Apparently the hull is intact but there is so much asbestos in the fittings and flooring that it would take several million dollars to have OSHA come in and remove the hazardous materials.

Not to get off topic, but she's gutted down to the steel beams, she has no interior, just an empty hulk of steel.

Pics: http://www.planphilly.com/node/1559