Ocean Liners In Movies

The Atlantic crossing scenes in the 1981 TV series of Evelyn Waugh's classic novel, 'Brideshead Revisited', were filmed onboard the QE2, mid-atlantic, during a storm. Only the outdoor shots however, the inside filming being done on sets & in period hotels.

• 3 weeks later...

These are my favorite ship films. Looking forward to watching Juggernaut tonight haven't seen that one for years.

Dodsworth - A retired automobile tycoon (Walter Huston) and his wife (Ruth Chatterton) head to Europe for a wonderful vacation. However, shortly after they arrive the wife gets involved in a series of indiscretions and the couple learns that the following perhaps will not be quite that golden. There are some terrific shots of the Queen Mary in New York City and a good twenty minutes of the picture take place aboard the QM during a transatlantic crossing. Towards the end of the film there's also a nice shot of the famous Italian Liner, Rex steaming across the Mediterranean. Nominated for 7 Oscars including best picture. It won for best Art Direction.

The Lady Eve - Great Preston Sturges romantic, screwball comedy with Charles Coburn and Barbara Stanwyck as father/daughter con-artists who attempt to dupe a bumbling explorer, Henry Fonda aboard the S.S. Southern Queen. Nominated for 1 Oscar.

Now Voyager - In an effort to build her self-esteem and escape the grasp of her domineering mother, Bette Davis takes an ocean voyage and begins a high seas love affair with Paul Henreid. A tremendous film, with some wonderfully escapist ship and port scenes. Nominated for 3 Oscars including best actress Bette Davis. 1 Oscar win for Best Music Score.

The Voyage of the Dammed A haunting and compelling film which depicts the true story of a ship full of German Jewish Refugees bound for safe haven in Havana however they are denied permission to land anywhere. A star studded cast, very well acted and just about the entire film takes place aboard an ocean liner. It was nominated for three Oscars.

The Legend of 1900 - A bittersweet tale of a man (Tim Roth) who spends his entire life upon a steam ship. The film evokes the elegance of ocean travel from a bygone era. No Oscar nods but did win Golden Globe for best original score.

The Poseidon Adventure - A classic, adventure tale about a band of survivors attempting to escape from a capsized ocean liner. Tremendous special effects and stellar cast make this film a winner. It was nominated for 8 Oscars. It won for best original song, The Morning After. The film was also awarded a special Oscar for visual effects.

****The Poseidon Adventure Special Edition DVD is a real treat if you are a fan of this film. There are some very interesting interviews, a great behind the scenes documentary of the making of the film and some audio commentary by director Ronald Neame.

Poseidon - The remake of the latter. A rousing tale of survival with boat loads of suspense. The staggering opening shot of the ship is actually computer generated but you would never know it. The ship interiors were based on the Queen Mary 2's Britannia Restaurant. It earned one Oscar nomination for best visual effects.

Jonathan

• 2 months later...
Was there a made for tv film in the 70's about carnival's festivale?

I thnk the movie in question is "The French Atlantic Affair". I have the original book which is set on board a Normandie type vessel called the Bretagne. Also the Festivale was used in an episode of Hart to Hart. The Tropicale appeared in an A Team episode where MR T is afraid to fly and also in a sitcom episode that starred Alan Thicke and Jane Powell.

Hope this helps

Who can forget the fabulous Marx Brothers movie "A Night at the Opera".

While there are a lot of amusing scenes on baord the ocean liner, the best was where their stateroom became filled with various people, all packing into the cabin, and seemingly oblivous to the others around them.

Marx brothers at their peak.

Just a bit off the topic, but there is a documentary re: the SS United States that is scheduled to be shown on PBS next week. In Orlando, FL, it is scheduled to be on next Thursday evening, May 29th at 9 PM on PBS. You may wish to check your local listing if you are interested. You can always find PBS in your area and check the time frame. I also have seen the ship in its current condition parked just below the Walt Whitman Bridge in Philadelphia. What a sad site for such a great ship. It has been out of service for over 38 years now.

Rich M

RIchard,

saw your posting (couldn't find your email address) Hope all is well with you....we're thinking of going on the Liberty from London on June 14th 2009. There is a thread started. Didn't know if some of the old gang, Donna, Jan et al, would like to join us.

Regards,

Cynthia and Jeff (Cfomac@aol.com)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Lucy: "Wow, you can see a lot from up here. Look at that cigar floating in the water."

Helicopter Pilot: "That's no cigar, lady, that's your ship!"

The Ricardos and Mertzes were sailing to Europe on Constitution, although I think aerial shots of Independence may have been used. IMO, the funniest bit on the "ship" (sets were used) other than Lucy's arrival was when she got stuck in the porthole. :)

Saw the porthole episode yesterday. I never get tired of her. The interior shots of the ship didn't look like a ship at all.

Lucy: "Wow, you can see a lot from up here. Look at that cigar floating in the water."

Helicopter Pilot: "That's no cigar, lady, that's your ship!"

The Ricardos and Mertzes were sailing to Europe on Constitution, although I think aerial shots of Independence may have been used. IMO, the funniest bit on the "ship" (sets were used) other than Lucy's arrival was when she got stuck in the porthole. :)

Saw the porthole episode yesterday. I never get tired of her. The interior shots of the ship didn't look like a ship at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to IMDB.COM internet movie data base, its great, say you see a actor on tv but cant remember what movie u have seen him in type in the show or actor's name in and presto you will have his full film bio, same for shows, movies i use it a lot, also works for theme's too ie cruise ships

• 5 weeks later...

The sci-fi/horror flick "Day of the Triffids (1962)" shows a few seconds of a ship referred to as the "S.S. Midland". Don't know what ship it really is though. A two-funneled ship with .25 blue/.25 white/.50 red on the funnels... if I can get a "clip" of the ship I'll post it.

The original Love Boat (from the movie titled "The Love Boat" that was the pilot for the series) -- was filmed on the old Sun Princess (aka Spirit of London, later Premier's Majestic and as I learned yesterday from this board, still sailing now for a different overseas line.)

No, they used the Pacific Princess, (1972-2002) although later it was sets. The pool looked exactly the same when I cruised her to Bermuda.

Edited by momofmeg

There as an old "I Love Lucy" episode on yesterday where Lucy and Ricky were going to Europe on the "USS Constitution". Lucy of course missed the boat saying goodbye to Little Ricky and tried to jump the gang way to the ship and missed it. She had to be transported by helicopter to meet the ship! Hysterical! They kept referring to the ship as "the boat":D

The dismally rubish film 'Final Voyage' of 1992 also stared the Maxim Gorky. It was so bad Speed 2 looked like the best ever film made when compared...

The Last Voyage (1960) was filmed on board the Ile de France as she was making her way to be scrapped.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054016/trivia

Edited by Goldryder

• 1 month later...
Was there a made for tv film in the 70's about carnival's festivale?

I remember catching the credits at the end of a movie that listed the Festivale but I never caught the name of the movie. I also would like to know the name of this movie if anyone can help. Thanks, Dan

• 9 months later...
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that little ship that got a bunch of peole lost on a three hour tour. The Minnow

That was quite subtle. So subtle I had to reread it to be certain you were referencing TITANIC. I did find it interesting that it had not been mentioned- too obvious? too schmaltzy? too depressing as a cruiser?

• 8 months later...

All of these listed give more than a passing glance at the identity of the ship in question:

Table For Five was filmed extensively aboard the Vistafjord with endless shipboard shots on stormy seas.

There's an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker filmed aboard the SS France.

The Achille Lauro Incident was filmed extensively aboard Achille Lauro(!), with various aspects of the very '70s interiors of the ship in full view for the entire film. The equally tragic Rebecca Shafer played the heroine.

About 25 minutes of Munster Go Home takes place aboard SS United States.

Voyage of the Damned was atmospherically filmed aboard the revamped SS Irpinia.

Juggernaut was filmed aboard MS Hamburg/Maxim Gorky - excellent shipboard shots of very vivid '70s interiors (orange, green, blue and white walls and white/orange plastic Scandinavian furniture) and the ship plowing though moody, heavy seas. Hannibal Lechter, err... Anthony Hopkins plays a major role in this film.

An episode of the Benny Hill show filmed aboard SS Canberra.

A 30 minute scene from one of the episodes of the "Tales of The City" miniseries was filmed aboard MS Sagafjord.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what ship was destroyed in Deep Rising ( 1998). I have always wondered if it was set based or not.

The "Argonautica" was CGI. One of the "extras" on the DVD is the behind the scenes showing the ship being blown up.

(Sorry for the spoiler if you haven't seen the film).