How can you afford to travel?

emptynest1

[quote name='Sky Sweet']I just read an article on the net about all the blue collar workers who earn more than professionals.

The article did not surprise me because I have been saying that for years, but it was interesting to see an article that confirmed what has been obvious to me for a long time.

I have always felt that there are many good reasons to get multiple advanced degress, but the ability to earn more money is not one of them.

With this in mind, the people who can afford to cruise during a recession are probably very different than the public's perception of who can.[/quote]

You sure make a lot of assumptions :eek:

[quote name='cruisePRN']You sure make a lot of assumptions :eek:[/quote]

Do you have a twin sibbling who posts on cruise critic message boards? I am curious because there is another poster whose writing style is identical to yours.

I am very proud and pleased with my lot in life. We chose professions that were low paying but quite rewarding in many other ways.

We were married when I was 42 and Phyllis was 39. We didn't have a lot of money, but managed to buy a new car that we both used. We drove it for 222,601 miles. During that period, we invested a small amount in a 457 plan (similar to 401), payed off all our credit cards, and payed off our mortgage and own two late model vehicles outright.

For us, cruising is meaningful and special reward which we earn through wise spending in other areas and prioritizing our available funds.

I would much rather have it that way than to be so wealthy and spoiled that we would not appreciate how blessed we are simply to be able to cruise at all.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

[quote name='wvufan']I am very proud and pleased with my lot in life. We chose professions that were low paying but quite rewarding in many other ways.

We were married when I was 42 and Phyllis was 39. We didn't have a lot of money, but managed to buy a new car that we both used. We drove it for 222,601 miles. During that period, we invested a small amount in a 457 plan (similar to 401), payed off all our credit cards, and payed off our mortgage and own two late model vehicles outright.

For us, cruising is meaningful and special reward which we earn through wise spending in other areas and prioritizing our available funds.

I would much rather have it that way than to be so wealthy and spoiled that we would not appreciate how blessed we are simply to be able to cruise at all.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl[/quote]

Hi wufan :)

If you and your wife found your careers to be rewarding, you are "richer" than most people :)

I agree that loving what you do is much more important than earning the big bucks.

[quote=cruisin'mama;14748072]I have had the dream to take a cruise to Alaska for my 50th birthday for quite a while. My best friend and I planned the itinerary we wanted, the aft cabin, etc. and I saved to go next summer. Unfortunately the economy has taken a hit in the construction industry and my husband has been out of work all year. Now it looks like my cruise fund may end up making a house payment instead. It's killing me, but I booked the cruise ( the day they released them) and got the cabin I wanted, knowing if things don't get better, that my plans will go down the drain and my dream won't be realized. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to cancel because I DO have my priorities straight, I just thought when I turned 50, I wouldn't be in this predicament financially. I envy those of you who can afford to cruise often and not take a hit financially by doing so.
Maybe I should try those slot machines![/quote]

Cruisin Mama, I feel your pain, We had Alaska booked for August, and Solstice booked for Jan 09 and had to cancel both, we run my FIL's company, it's been around for 50+ years, as well as our own, 15+ years, and we've never seen ANYTHING like this! As one of our clients put it, it's as if someone turned off a light switch on March 1st and never turned it back on. I have to admit, I feel a little twist in my heart every time I see that Solstice thread. It's good that you have your priorities straight, hang in there and hopefully you will get that cruise in a couple of years!

[quote name='Coreopsis']Love your post!

I work for a charity that works with critically ill children - talk about putting things in perspective. I agree with other posts that staying within your means is most important - followed by setting priorities.

But . . . in reference to the newspaper article - hunting for the cheapest products I can find for Thanksgiving meal doesn't scream special occasion to us and fortunately we've reached a point in our lives when we don't have to limit our Thanksgiving to $10. That's why I save up so I can treat ourselves to some pampering on vacations or a special experience. We both have demanding jobs that go way beyond 5 days a week/8 hour days. If we really can't afford it . . . save up until you can. I went without living room furniture in our first home for over a year - I didn't want junk. I wanted to save until I could afford what I wanted. I am satisfied with experience on Celebrity and feel it is a good value for the money. It isn't luxury - but it isn't budget either. We are fortunate to have worked to a point we can enjoy trips like an occasional cruise.

A meal like Thanksgiving is a labor of love for us- nothing comes from a can and I absolutely splurge on nice wine, the best and freshest ingredients, etc. Everything from scratch (well, I don't churn my own butter - but you get the idea:) ) and we invite pals who don't have family to join our celebration. It was WAY more than the $10 in the article - and that is exactly the point. Truffled mashed potatoes - yum (I think my truffles cost more than his entire meal!) Far Niente wine - more yum! Home made pies, bread, cranberry sauce - all from the freshest ingredients. . . well, you get the picture!

I think special occasions are only special if you make it so. We used to treat our kids to a "fancy dinner" at least once a month or so - we would all dress up, light the candles, get out the good dishes. This taught our kids table manners and that having a nice meal with loved ones can be one of life's special moments. Everyday is a Thanksgiving when we are all together and have our health ... we do the same for Birthdays, and other celebrations.

Speaking of - last year we decided as a family to forego all the usual Christmas presents and instead, spend our money on a trip together. Last year we had an awesome vacation in Mazatlan, this year we will be on the inaugural Solstice cruise. I save our miles for hotel and airfare whenever possible.

Its just priorities [U]and[/U] celebrating life and loved ones. We are all at a point we don't need "stuff" we would rather have experiences and the company of each other. We've made it a priority to invest in these experiences. Can we afford it? Well . . . I bet our financial advisor would suggest saving more . . . but we think we can't afford NOT to.

Tightening your belt during tough times doesn't have to be so bad . . . get out the good dishes tonight :)[/quote]

I'm not sure, but I think you missed the point in the article. On second thought, I'm sure you missed the point.

My wife and I don't drink alcohol, so we didn't miss anything in the wine department. In fact, we didn't miss out on anything. We're the kind of people who are not impressed by dining in the specialty restaurants aboard Infinity or Millennium. Not because they aren't something special, but because we're not into fancy, extravagant, or lavish (Yes, we tried the Olympic Restaurant). I'm glad that some people are, and that such places exist, but they're not for us.

My wife tends to work most Holidays, and Thanksgiving is no exception. I spend the day preparing a meal that we can enjoy when she gets home from the nursing home where she works as a Registered Nurse. And it is special. We get out the good dishes. Actually we use the good dishes every single day. Both of our families live more than 160 miles away, so we do the best we can for our holiday meal.

If you check the list of items we had for our meal, you'll find a very nice assortment of traditional Thanksgiving menu items. Also, if you read the article completely, you'll see that I teach people, most who can barely make ends meet, how to manage their money, and that I do so as a volunteer.

Also, I don't shop for the cheapest things I can buy, but I buy the items I want at the best price. There is a difference. Today, I shopped at my favorite store where I bought the following. I used coupons from other stores to get the deals.

Whole Milk 3 - 1/2 gallons - Reg. Price $1.99 each - Coupon Price $1.00 each.
Orange Juice (Not from concentrate)2 - 1/2 gallons - Reg. Price $3.39 each - Coupon Price $1.00 each
Dozen Eggs - Reg. Price $2.39 - Coupon Price $1.00
Apple Juice (Not from concentrate)1 - 1/2 gallon - Reg. Price $3.29 - Coupon Price $1.00
Natural Vanilla Ice Cream 1 - 1.75 qt - Reg. Price $3.00 - Coupon Price $2.50
Strawberries - 4 lbs - Reg. Price $9.99 - Coupon Price $4.00

In addition, I saved $.10 because I used my reusable bags. The total cost for all of the above was $13.40. I saved $18.02 by using coupons from two other stores, and I only had to shop at one store (saved gas).

Now, just so you don't get the wrong idea, I'm happy for you and it's great that you are able to celebrate holidays in a way that makes you feel good. We're able to do the same.

And, it would appear that each of us, in our own way, is able to cruise.

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise!

Bob

[quote name='Coreopsis']
A meal like Thanksgiving is a labor of love for us- nothing comes from a can and I absolutely splurge on nice wine, the best and freshest ingredients, etc. Everything from scratch (well, I don't churn my own butter - but you get the idea:) ) and we invite pals who don't have family to join our celebration. It was WAY more than the $10 in the article - and that is exactly the point. Truffled mashed potatoes - yum (I think my truffles cost more than his entire meal!) Far Niente wine - more yum! Home made pies, bread, cranberry sauce - all from the freshest ingredients. . . well, you get the picture!

[/QUOTE]

If the Far Niente you speak of is Chardonnay try to locate some Sbragia Gamble Ranch and give it a try if you have not. You might like it better, or you might decide to include it in your top three. BTW...it costs a couple of dollars less.;)

[quote name='FinelyCruising']If the Far Niente you speak of is Chardonnay try to locate some Sbragia Gamble Ranch and give it a try if you have not. You might like it better, or you might decide to include it in your top three. BTW...it costs a couple of dollars less.;)[/QUOTE]
Ohhhhhhhhhh, now that's the best tip I've read on this thread. Thank you - on many counts for your post. Yes, their Chardonnay is my favorite. But I will look for your recommendation - and saving a few bucks on top of that...
Sweet!

Ohhhh, Wine Spectator gave it a 95. I feel a special occasion coming on :)

You make the vacation. If your NOT a millionare then taking a vacation should be planned. We waited 3 years to go on a Panama Canal Tour. ( 17 days) Why? First class all the way. Still have a count down, still planning all the things we want to do. All first class. Yes we have a suite, champagne everyday through Bon Voague, plan on hitting the Dinning experience you pay extra for, drinking the martinis daily and going first class on the Airlines. We both want a trip we feel pampered. It makes it more fun to plan and make us feel good about the trip we paid for. We don't want to be in debt, so we pay for it a little at a time from the time we choose the trip and they will take the first deposit. I wish we could cruise yearly for we love it so, but you are right, not so much as the cruise baots but, airlines, and any merchant that it cost Oil to bring together for us to use. I think for us this is the best way...the cruise is always exciting, but, the dreams od where we will go and the planning is more fun. Planning ahead is Fun and will be less expensive if you plan it right. :)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]OOOOOOOH! I almost forgot!!! One very effective way that I'm better able to afford to travel is that I quit the cigs 8 years ago! Let's see, what do Virginia Slims cost now??? 5 or 6 bucks a pack, times two packs a day??? I'm saving some serious jing![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff00ff]I also buy just about everything we wear, including tuxes & gowns, on Ebay. I've gotten to the point in my bargain hunting that I think WALMART's prices are ridiculous.:D But, hey, more cash left over for the big romance on the high seas.:cool: [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='usha'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]OOOOOOOH! I almost forgot!!! One very effective way that I'm better able to afford to travel is that I quit the cigs 8 years ago! Let's see, what do Virginia Slims cost now??? 5 or 6 bucks a pack, times two packs a day??? I'm saving some serious jing![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff00ff]I also buy just about everything we wear, including tuxes & gowns, on Ebay. I've gotten to the point in my bargain hunting that I think WALMART's prices are ridiculous.:D But, hey, more cash left over for the big romance on the high seas.:cool: [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
By the way, congrats for 8 years kicking the habit. Lovely for your health AND your wallet.

So with you on eBay too - gotta love it!

[quote name='Coreopsis']By the way, congrats for 8 years kicking the habit. [/quote]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]Many tanks! :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[IMG]http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/railroad/power/tanks.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='ladyjane550']I have booked Spirit airlines - their prices are GREAT - very affordable.[/QUOTE]

I alluded to them earlier but didn't mention the name. My brother and his wife are flying today from Tampa to Atlantic City for $16.00 round trip and we are going to Florida in Sept. for $.50 one way and $50.00 the other.

[quote name='wvufan']I am very proud and pleased with my lot in life. We chose professions that were low paying but quite rewarding in many other ways.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl[/quote]

Good for you Bob & Phy! Happy cruising!

Everyone decides what has meaning for them - in our case (and most other Cruise Critic posters) travel and especially cruising is where our extra $$ goes.

I set up a separate savings account and have money directed there each week from my paycheck - same as for our 401K and our kids' college funds. When we get any extra unexpected money - it's deposited in our vacation account. We empty our change into a bank and cash that when it fills up - believe it or not it adds up to a couple of hundred dollars a year! We book our trips far in advance and that gives us time to save as needed.

My husband's mom died in her 40s from breast cancer and his best friend at 51 from pancreatic cancer - we decided a long time ago that travel was important to us and we didn't want to put it off for a "someday" that may never come. To us it's not a splurge - it's a necessary part of our lives and the anticipation of future cruises and looking back at past ones makes getting up at 5:30 everyday for work worth it!

My Motto-
Work hard/Play Hard-
Both my DH and I work Full time and we take 2 cruises and other types of trips each year. We LOVE cruises- It is the only time that DH and I can unplgu from the cell phone, computer, faxes, ect!
We also save for each trip before we go, pay it off totally before we embark and have the ship charges paid for before we get off the ship.
We also think there is great value in cruises. We have been know to say "how can we not afford to go!"

[quote name='usha'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]OOOOOOOH! I almost forgot!!! One very effective way that I'm better able to afford to travel is that I quit the cigs 8 years ago! Let's see, what do Virginia Slims cost now??? 5 or 6 bucks a pack, times two packs a day??? I'm saving some serious jing![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff00ff]I also buy just about everything we wear, including tuxes & gowns, on Ebay. I've gotten to the point in my bargain hunting that I think WALMART's prices are ridiculous.:D But, hey, more cash left over for the big romance on the high seas.:cool: [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

I see by your profile that you're going to be on the 2/8/09 Westerdam. We are also. I enjoy your posts very much and hope we can meet on the cruise.
Esther

I am doing cruises that are more nights long so that I get more bang for my buck. Airfare costs the same for an 11 night cruise as it does for a 5 night cruise as does the pre-cruise hotel stay. I think my days of 5 to 7 nighters are over unless costs come back down. It is cheaper to go away for one two week vacation every ten months than two five to seven night ones every five to six months.

I am also starting to seek out discounts such as using Hotwire to book a hotel rahter than paying full rate and transferring my cruise reservation to a TA that will provide a perk such as pre-paid tips. I also am no longer paying full prices at the spa on board; if they offer 50% off a treatment I want, I'll go for it. Finally I am no longer doing excursions at every single port, but sometimes just exploring the town on my own.

I run into people all the time that hear about a trip I am planning or have just taken and say "It must be nice to have the money to travel the way you do." Way too often these people make more money than I do, but yet say they can't find the money to travel. I say they don't try.

Since travel is a priority for me, I can't see a time when I would say "I can't afford to do it." I will find a way. There is a lot that I will give up before I give up travel. How often do I need to eat out? Do I really need that new pair of shoes? Should I buy that book or go the library? A riding lawnmower would be great, but walking around my yard would not only be cheaper, but it gives me a workout! There are so many ways to economize and I haven't even begun to do all that I can do.

I am a bit of a miser with my travel dollars, too. For example, I was going to do a Mediterranean cruise this year, but with the value of the dollar against the euro and the high cost of airfare, I am re-adjusting. I'm thinking I will end up on an Alaskan cruise instead. I will do the Med. cruise at another time. There is so much of the world I want to see (like all of it!) that when one outpaces my budget I just look for another trip.

Cruises are great for budget travel. You can pay your way before you go and really don't have to pay anything else at all (except for tips, which I budget up front.) With ships leaving from different places, there is usually one that is less than a day's drive away.

I love seeing different scenery and culture, so don't feel the need to spend a lot when I travel. If I am cruising in a beach area, often my favorite thing to do is take public transport to the most gorgeous beach and lay out enjoying a good book. The beach is not the only highlight....a public bus allows me to see scenery and listen to the conversation of the locals. Often I end up in conversation with them, and learn even more about the place I am visiting. There are people who don't travel well, and they should probably stay home as much as possible. I love the whole travel experience and don't mind things like connecting flights and less-than-perfect hotels. For those of us who are both flexible and looking for great travel experiences, they can be had for not much money. With the internet to connect us, there are great ideas to be had to keep our costs down and keep the travel coming!

I run into people all the time that hear about a trip I am planning or have just taken and say "It must be nice to have the money to travel the way you do." Way too often these people make more money than I do, but yet say they can't find the money to travel. I say they don't try.

Ah, the "must be nice" comment -- if I had a dollar for every time hearing this... we'd travel even more. ;)

Our experience is that there's more often a sarcastic look and/or tone accompanying these remarks, which tempts me to become even more judgmental back at the delivering person, questioning what he or she spends money on. Alas, I'm usually content to smile and drift off into thought about where we might go next. :)

I'm torn between viewing them as 'just passing through a phase' and 'vacation wrecking ingrates' (it means 4 fares)... They are actually well behaved, it just the burden of 'dealing with them' as opposed to the vacate part of vacation... Although me parents left me home to tour east Africa in '69 and I still sort of... have this yearning about that...

Actually, the need to get away from teens is prompting me to consider more adventurous vacations the rigor and expense of which allow me to more rationally (in my twisted head) justify leaving them home...

The present 'I ought to just go' destination is Lalibela (anybody been?) and if I do go - it'll be just two of us - and it'll be one of those what goes around comes around deals... Some of these far off places are CHEAP once you get there, it's just the getting there part!

Some of you have really been on several cruises! I can't wait to share all of my experiences here. As far as expenses are concerned, well I will have to agree with the priority thing. I think we all can come up with the money if it is important enough to us.

My first cruise which isn't until November is only 560.00. Not even sure if that is a good deal. LOL

It is part business training part FUN. It doesn't include airfare but I have found a flight at 365.00 so far. I'm happy with the cost so far.

I guess with experience I'll find better deals but this was an all inclusive as far as the cruise itself.

Look forward to reading more stories here.

Tracy Russell

I agree with those who have verbalized that it is all about priorities.

When we were younger I always felt guilty about spending a lot of money on vacations because I felt it would have made more sense to spend that money on things that last such as home improvements. After all, no matter how much money you put into your house there is always another proect that can be done.

However, I no longer feel that way. That is probably because my father was younger than I am now when he died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack and my mother in law aged very well until Alzheimer's disease took her quality of life away from her.

These experiences made me realize that you never know what the future has in store for us and it is important for my husband and I to make the most of life while we still have our health and each other.

It also helps that we own our home outright and the days of major expensives for our children, such as college tuition and weddings are behind us.

Archived