CARRY OFF luggage

Carnival calls it "Self Assist Debarkation", which translated into normal means "carry your own junk off the ship". If you do this, you can get off the ship earlier than everyone else (except VIPs and handicapped guests). To do so, just keep your bags in your room on the last night, and make sure you are ready to go when they call for Self Assist guests on the last morning. It will be fairly early, probably only a few minutes after Customs clears the ship.

I'm sailing on the Victory June 10Th can any one tell me if you can carry off your own luggage at the end of the cruise.

I don't do it unless I drive to the port. I like to get and early start on the way home

I'm sailing on the Victory June 10Th can any one tell me if you can carry off your own luggage at the end of the cruise.

Storm - yes you can. They will call by deck for "self assist". At that time you can move down to the atrium to disembark.

There were a lot of people who did not listen to when their deck was called and it was absolute chaos trying to get off.

We waited until the cloud lifted. At around 8:45 our deck was called and we headed down and walked right off. The only thing we waited for was a group of about 15 who were trying to get off and there were 3 or 4 wheelchairs so we yielded to them.

We saw a couple leave from our deck about 8:00 and they were standing outside waiting for the same shuttle as us...so what did they gain other then aggravation of trying to move through the ship in a line with all their luggage.

Self assist is a great thing but it will not work if it doesn't stay organized, so listen for your deck and only move when you're called. It'll make your disembarking much less stressful.

Hope this helps.

If you plan to use self assist, be aware that you will probably have to be able to maneuver yourself and your luggage down some stairs. With that said, I have done self assist and never regretted it. In fact, I did self assist before they even came up with the idea. On my first cruise I was traveling solo with one small piece of luggage and decided to take it off myself. Worked out fine. (I was very careful not to bump into anyone or run into anyone as I was getting off.) :D

It's definitely the way to go if you don't have too much luggage. Otherwise you could be waiting a few hours. We have done it on our last 2 cruises and walked right off with no problem. Much quicker and you get an earlier start on the day.

Debbie

We have done it the last few cruises.. but it seems more and more people are utilizing self-disembark... On the last cruise, Miracle two weeks ago it was chaos because of the NCL Spirit crashing into the pier..

If I had known it was going to be so crazy I would have relaxed and waited til the end..

Last year we self-disembarked from the Victory.. (we had parked at the port) It took a half hour from the time we were called til we were in our car!

Good info here. Also, keep in mind, you must carry ALL of your bags yourself. There is no assistance offered or available at all.

Are you free to use the elevators - or are you required to use only the stairs?

Well, that where the problems start, yes you can try to use them. They are normally jammed packed with people. Its easier to just go down the stairs.

Well, that where the problems start, yes you can try to use them. They are normally jammed packed with people. Its easier to just go down the stairs.

I agree! Talk about chaos...people have so many bags that usually only a few plus all their bags fit into the elevator. The waits are endless. I literallly carried one bag down, walked back up, got the other, and repeat down the decks. Was a lot easier than trying to carry several bags at once and still was quicker than waiting ages for a crowded elevator.

Just got off the Victory in Charleston on Saturday. I realize this is only a few times a year port for Carnival and it is a small terminal but people can you please go to the Disembarkation Talk on the next to last day and LISTEN!!!

They started to release the self assist people at 6:30 AM and the last self assist deck about 7:20 AM. My wife has a cast on so we couldn't carry all our bags so we did the normal debark by number. Our number 7 was not called until nearly 9:30 and the stairs were packed with people who were obviously trying to self debark since they had multiple large and heavy suitcases. They were clogging up the stairs from Deck 4 down to Deck 0 where we were all headed. It took us nearly an hour to get off the ship and then some time to get our bags and go through Customs.

If you plan to self debark (someone from our group did at 6:30 and sped right through), please listen for your deck to be called and leave then. Adding all of the large luggage from self assist to the normal congestion was a nightmare.

It was the only bad part of the cruise though. We had a great time.

NOPE - they keep you on the ship for the next cruise:D ! (wishful thinking, I know).

As the others have said, if you do not have much luggage you are good to go. My wife and I were in no rush, so we relaxed on the Lido deck until our number was called and walked right off. Had we chosen to do so, we could have left earlier, before the number calling, but were comfortable doing it this way.

We are the types that hate putting our luggage in the hallway waiting for it to be picked up, so this worked for us.

I love the 'self assist' option at the end of the cruise. I always hated looking for my luggage in the great 'sea' of suitcases. We make sure the luggage we take on cruises is the kind with wheels. We leave at our leisure and it's wonderful.

Archived