AOS 11/15/09 - Who Booked 500+ Cabins?

I don't think it's a Quincinero group......the original poster said that all the suites were gone on this sailing...I doubt that families are booking the suites for that type of of cruise...JMHO, I would venture to say it's a more mature group.

Is it just me? Or' date=' are there others out there who don't give a rats behind what groups are onboard?

Closed venues? Sure....most groups onboard have cocktail parties which would close a bar or lounge [b']for an hour or so[/b]...it's called "private party"... Certainly there is more than one bar on the ship. If a lounge is closed for a party - move on to the next one.

I don't think several people will agree with you, especially if they experienced a cruise with a large group.

On our 1997 Granduer cruise, the Viking Crown Lounge was closed off for a very large group the ENTIRE week for their "private party". That is not just some lounge, IMO. Sections of the Windjammer were closed off all week even if the seats weren't being used. The members had priority departure at every island. Rows of chairs and sections in lounges were blocked off for every show and event. The attendees were rude to employees (cheap too from what we were told) and everyone not associated with their group. :eek:

I think RCCL should have to disclose that a large group is onboard.

ccxnola, I don't think I would take a cruise with "the Bears" even if it was free :mad:

###

I don't think it's a Quincinero group......the original poster said that all the suites were gone on this sailing...I doubt that families are booking the suites for that type of of cruise...JMHO, I would venture to say it's a more mature group.

It's obvious you don't know much about latinos ;)

It will be a non stop party for 15 year old girls/boys and their extended families. One big party and the latinos drink freely at 15 years old. That is with parents permission. Trust me!!!!:(

But without the cruise permission, its ilegal to drink. Isn't the age for drinking 21 on the cruise? On land (talking about Puerto Rico) its 18. Maybe the teens on the quinceañeros will sneek some alcohol, but I doubt the drinking will be freely. Well, I will find out on my cruise on July, which is a quinceañero cruise... and reading all this post made me worry for a bit.

Hmmm, my parents never gave me permission to drink (freely) at 15... and I'm latin. :p

I don't care what anyone else would do...for me, if I knew that one group had reserved 500 cabins, which would mean likely about 1/2 the ship's passengers, I would change dates or change ships no matter the group.

I save too long and have a very limited time off per year to risk being disappointed or have the ship over-run by a large group.

If that offends anyone...so be it. I think many would agree with me, even if they don't post it.

Is it just me? Or' date=' are there others out there who don't give a rats behind what groups are onboard?

Closed venues? Sure....most groups onboard have cocktail parties which would close a bar or lounge for an hour or so...it's called "private party"... Certainly there is more than one bar on the ship. If a lounge is closed for a party - move on to the next one.

500? 750? - Who cares? I'm there to enjoy my cruise experience....why would I care what they are doing? For large groups, there are certain arrangements that might sometimes be made for tendering or debarkation, etc., but their good time certainly won't interfere with yours..unless you let it happen. They might close one pool for a private pool party in the evening......so, go to another one.

Groups are the bread and butter of the cruise industry. They will accommodate them when possible....hoping they will return. That doesn't mean that YOU won't be accommodated also.[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing. We had a group of ladies and some husband from the Mid west that sold candles (I think it was Party lite) and there were 1500 of them. Only time they were even mildy annoying were the pool parties. They had meetings that used private rooms ( they do have conference areas on the ship most Pax never have cause to use). and on or two meetings in the theatre, non show hours. But I met a few individually and we became friends.

We were with another couple we cruise with and for the most part found plenty of quiet places. We went about our cruise as we normally do and had a wonderful time, it also was the AOS.

One our NCL cruise the phone company retirees had 300 cabins, and again private parties, and use of the conference rooms for the retraining classes. But we only hung out with a few of them and aside for a few cocktail parties we never saw more than 6 or 7 peope together at one time. We did not care for NCL, but not because of the group. Most times the "groups" do not move as one unit 100% of the time.

It is BIG ship.

Is it just me? Or' date=' are there others out there who don't give a rats behind what groups are onboard?[/quote']

It may not be "Just you", but you are definitely against the flow.

Closed venues? Sure....most groups onboard have cocktail parties which would close a bar or lounge for an hour or so...it's called "private party"...

How about when HALF the Windjammer is closed off and no-one can find a table to enjoy for lunch??

How about when the Solarium is closed off ALL DAY 2 or 3 times during the week??

How about when the Schooner Bar (some people's favorite night-time hangout) is unavailable EVERY NIGHT???

500? 750? - Who cares? I'm there to enjoy my cruise experience....why would I care what they are doing? For large groups' date=' there are certain arrangements that might sometimes be made for tendering or debarkation, etc., but their good time certainly won't interfere with yours..[/quote']

This is a DIRECT CONTRADICTION in terms. OF COURSE it will interfere with ALL the other passengers!!

Well' date=' actually, yes, I have. I retired from the travel industry after 32 years. For 10 of those years, I was a Tour Manager/Cruise Host. I've hosted groups of cruisers from 40 to 1000 or more...and did back-to-back on Princess 2 summer seasons (from May to September) in Alaska for a major worldwide travel company...the largest in the world, actually-where large groups of passengers came from all over the world. There were affinity groups, AARP groups, Masons, Elks, Knights of Columbus, Medical Associations and just about any other groups you can imagine including Alumni groups and sports fans. I've hosted huge groups to the Caribbean on various ships and the Mediterranean, Black Sea ports, Aegean and the Indian Ocean.

So, yes, I have the experience...and, I still maintain that whether you are traveling solo, couples or in a group of 1000, your cruise is what YOU make of it.

And this explains it. No wonder you weren't "Bothered" by the group -- You Were the Leader of the Group So don't talk like everyone else is BAD for not wanting to cruise with large groups.

2 years ago we were on NOS with a "quence" At times, was very annoying. Every night at dinner the servers had to stop serving while the girls were announced and made their grand entrances. This usually took place right in the middle of dinner:eek: They took over bars and some acted like the ship was there for them and them only. Certain venues were closed on different days because they had booked them for themselves.

Did it ruin our cruise. No, we had a wonderful time. I would just not like to do it again if it could be avoided.

It may not be "Just you", but you are definitely against the flow.

How about when HALF the Windjammer is closed off and no-one can find a table to enjoy for lunch??

How about when the Solarium is closed off ALL DAY 2 or 3 times during the week??

How about when the Schooner Bar (some people's favorite night-time hangout) is unavailable EVERY NIGHT???

This is a DIRECT CONTRADICTION in terms. OF COURSE it will interfere with ALL the other passengers!!

And this explains it. No wonder you weren't "Bothered" by the group -- You Were the Leader of the Group So don't talk like everyone else is BAD for not wanting to cruise with large groups.

/quote]

No, I was not the leader of the groups. I was employeed by the travel company to be a Host for the groups.

The rabid rants about groups on this thread is simply ridiculous. The cruise lines will never disclose group participation on any specific cruise....it has to do with privacy. It's nobody's business what others travel plans might be. If someone called a cruise company and asked if Mr. and Mrs. Jones were sailing, they would be told the information cannot be disclosed....same with groups.

Every cruise has groups...those being the greatest revenue generator for the cruise companies. All cruise lines actively solicit large groups of all kinds and give all sorts of concessions for the business. There is nothing you can do about it. They are under NO obligation to disclose their business to you or anyone else.

I guarantee that there are groups on every cruise you've ever been on. Without the group business, many cruise companies would be in financial trouble.

As for the closed venues, there are plenty of other spaces onboard todays mega-ships. If one is full or busy, find another. Ranting and raving is only going to spoil your cruise experience. Maybe a small ship might be more to your liking. Ships carrying less than 1000 don't attract the large groups like the mega-ships do. There are many of them out there.

The cruise lines will never disclose group participation on any specific cruise....it has to do with privacy.

This is not true. RC has been forthcoming with me every time I asked.

Disclosing a group is not disclosing individual names. There is no privacy issue.

Which is wrong. Why shouldn't other pax know if public areas will be off limits due to a large group?

Backbone or not pax should be informed if large groups have booked a certain cruise. And we all know that lines defer to large groups. They have no problem cancelling pax cruises if a large groups wants to charter the ship.

Having one or two selfish fools on board is a bit different than having over 2000 on board who think they own the ship and other pax are merely insignificant afterthoughts.

Here is why they don't disclose or share information with you or anyone else. This is RCCL's privacy policy....all cruiselines have a similar one. Airlines have the same policy......as do hotels, car rental companies and most travel providers. In many cases, unless subpeonaed, travel information is off-limits to anyone other than the traveler.

RCCL will not trade, sell or share such personally identifiable information for use by any third parties unless we have informed you, been authorized by you or are required by law to do so. In addition, such personally identifiable information shall not be disclosed to third parties unless we have informed you, been authorized by you or are required by law to do so. The term "third parties" does not include any subsidiaries or affiliates of RCCL, service providers or vendors acting on RCCL's behalf or travel agents or the purchaser of substantially all of the assets of RCCL or a subsidiary or affiliate of RCCL. Our policy is to require that third parties keep that information confidential. We reserve the right to disclose personally identifiable information, without notice, if we believe that such action is necessary to defend and protect the rights or property of RCCL and its family of websites or to protect the personal safety of users of RCCL, its websites or the public.

It may not be "Just you"' date=' but you are definitely against the flow.

[b']And this explains it. No wonder you weren't "Bothered" by the group -- You Were the Leader of the Group [/b]So don't talk like everyone else is BAD for not wanting to cruise with large groups.

/quote]

No, I was not the leader of the groups. I was employeed by the travel company to be a Host for the groups.

The rabid rants about groups on this thread is simply ridiculous. The cruise lines will never disclose group participation on any specific cruise....it has to do with privacy. It's nobody's business what others travel plans might be. If someone called a cruise company and asked if Mr. and Mrs. Jones were sailing, they would be told the information cannot be disclosed....same with groups.

Every cruise has groups...those being the greatest revenue generator for the cruise companies. All cruise lines actively solicit large groups of all kinds and give all sorts of concessions for the business. There is nothing you can do about it. They are under NO obligation to disclose their business to you or anyone else.

I guarantee that there are groups on every cruise you've ever been on. Without the group business, many cruise companies would be in financial trouble.

As for the closed venues, there are plenty of other spaces onboard todays mega-ships. If one is full or busy, find another. Ranting and raving is only going to spoil your cruise experience. Maybe a small ship might be more to your liking. Ships carrying less than 1000 don't attract the large groups like the mega-ships do. There are many of them out there.

Who needs to know what group?

Just reveal that a "group" will be sailing and that over 1000 of them will be on the ship at the same time. That has nothing to do with "privacy". No one is asking for a list of who is with a particular group.:rolleyes: And no one needs to know who those people are with.

You are correct that there are "plenty of other spaces", however, pax pay to use the entire ship when on board. It isn't fair for them not to have access to the Solarium, for instance, because it is closed off for another group.

Cruiselines don't tell pax about groups because they know that many won't book if they knew they were on board. People are only able to find out about group sailings when they do research and find them themselves. So this is all about $$$ and not the comfort of all pax, including those that get stuck on sailings with mega groups of people.

Yikes! I would not want to cruise with any group that is that big :eek:

Then don't book the Voyager of the Seas for the week of January 18, 2009. I am with a group of 400 plus. We are part of the Sail-a-Way with C.J. and Debbie Ray who are local D.Js from Lafayette, LA.

Have to chime in. We ended up on a cruise with a very large group of Elvis fans - including many Elvis impersonators. They definitely were party people although I would say age 30 and up. Most of the people were very nice however they had so many group gatherings that closed many of the public areas that in impacted the entertainment options available in the evenings. Seemed to have almost half the entertainers versus what we normally get to choose from on a cruise. They did open there final "concert" for other pax - and they were quite good if you like that. I have a new appreciation for "Elvis sightings" now. Would not knowingly sail with a very large group on the same ship.

Have to chime in. We ended up on a cruise with a very large group of Elvis fans - including many Elvis impersonators. They definitely were party people although I would say age 30 and up. Most of the people were very nice however they had so many group gatherings that closed many of the public areas that in impacted the entertainment options available in the evenings. Seemed to have almost half the entertainers versus what we normally get to choose from on a cruise. They did open there final "concert" for other pax - and they were quite good if you like that. I have a new appreciation for "Elvis sightings" now. Would not knowingly sail with a very large group on the same ship.

I wish I had been on this cruise...I did marry a guy named Elvis!!:D

But seriously, groups on cruises don't bother me. I usually sail on the bigger ships, and I can avoid any groups that may become annoying. Plus, the groups themselves usually provide great entertainment for those outside of the group. What could be funnier than 200 15 year old girls thinking they are running things...that's humor!!

I don't care what anyone else would do...for me, if I knew that one group had reserved 500 cabins, which would mean likely about 1/2 the ship's passengers, I would change dates or change ships no matter the group.

I save too long and have a very limited time off per year to risk being disappointed or have the ship over-run by a large group.

If that offends anyone...so be it. I think many would agree with me, even if they don't post it.

I am right there with you. It is bad enough that because of DF's job (teacher) we have to cruise at peak vacation times.

As a Floridian, I'm quite familiar with the "Quince" tradition, have attended a few and witnessed others. While visiting family staying out at the Disney hotels...they take over the resorts, just as described with the ships. I've seen the prima-donna attitudes take over the Dolphin, the Swan, and Grand Floridian. I can't imagine being trapped on a ship for a week with it!

I'm not saying that other groups would be any better. If I knew in advance that there was a large group of any sort on "my" cruise, I'd do whatever I could to switch. But that said, I would rather take my chances with AARP, Amway, or The Red Hat Society than a thousand+ 15 year olds. :)

AOS only has 38 suites that are higher than a JS. I think there are about 80 JS's. For 500 rooms to be booked, including all the high end suites, it's likely that more than half the people on that ship will be part of this group. That's huge.

No thank you.

Then don't book the Voyager of the Seas for the week of January 18, 2009. I am with a group of 400 plus. We are part of the Sail-a-Way with C.J. and Debbie Ray who are local D.Js from Lafayette, LA.

Hey.....

I cruised with y'all last January....

And, I never heard ya running up and, down the

ships passageways, or, punching all the deck floor buttons

of the elevators...but, I did stumble over a few of ya :D

We're gonna go on the week ahead of you this year though...;)

I wouldn't care if the group stayed in the Art room Closet...See Ya wouldn't wanna BE YA!

When I booked my future Cruise's , I ask the LA if there were any scheduled Quincera's on the dates I was interested in, and the LA told me what dates they were scheduled. I choose my Future Cruise around them dates! Once was ONE TOO MANY, and then to have B2B's with them was way past my Limit!

I have cruised with many groups, and generally they are fine, but when you have pax that stand right in the middle of walkways and won't budge, after saving excuse me, ( maybe no comprenda da English), it's not my way of Crusing!

No' date=' I was not the [b']leader of the groups[/b].

I was ....a Host for the groups.

Now you're just mincing words.

As for the closed venues' date=' there are plenty of other spaces onboard todays mega-ships. If one is full or busy, find another. [/quote']

I shouldn't HAVE to find another -- I paid for THIS ONE!

Maybe a small ship might be more to your liking. Ships carrying less than 1000 don't attract the large groups like the mega-ships do. There are many of them out there.

Now' date=' not only am [i']I[/i] the bad guy, I have to give up sailing on the ship I want to be on and go somewhere else, according to you. I stated that you shouldn't be talking like everyone else is bad for not wanting their cruise disrupted with LARGE GROUPS, and you just keep doing that.

Don't you see how wrong your arguments are??????

Ita a free country....but the large groups should not get to take a venue away from the rest of the ship, like the solarium etc. They can have special meetings in meeting rooms if they like......ask the entertainers to do a special show if they want but just because they have the numbers does not mean I should not be able to use all the facilities I paid for.

I agree...just disclose theres a group and not tell what type of group.

Archived