Live from the Oasis Event in NYC

• Administrators
I find some of the comments by the Poo-Poo crowd rather humerous. A ship that holds 6000 passengers can actually feel less crowded than some smaller ships. It all depends on the design which by the way RCI does a better job of than any other cruise line that I have sailed. A

Richard Fain addressed this very issue, and from what he said "it's all in the infrastructure, baby". Well, I added the "baby" part but his point was if you do it right, and address ALL the concerns such as embarkation, space issues, etc., a large ship can have more open space and feel less crowded than a smaller class ship.

One of my favorite cruises was on Celebrity's Zenith to Bermuda. Gosh, what memories. However, I gritted my teeth every time I stepped into the buffet area on the ship. It was WAY too small and crowded -- and so frustrating! I've NEVER felt that way on either the Voyager or Freedom-class ships ever.

Incredible yes. But Royal Caribbean has literally turned in a huge carnival. I don't care for a ship with an amusement park, an outdoor garden or a zip line. When half of a ship's cabins face inward instead of out toward the sea, you know you're not on a ship anymore. This is hardly a ship as it is a barge with a piece of Coney Island on it. I lokked at the exterior renderings, and it doesn't even have a promenade under the lifeboats! I mean, the entire environemtn is inward facing except for the lucky I would guess third who have the oceanview balconies, what a shame...

Give me the sea, I don't care for the rest...

Today Adam Goldstein said it was an entire vacation/resort/cruise all in one, and that is exactly right. Anything you would find on a land-based vacation, and then some, along with the water & cruise experience.

You'd just be in the way, anyway...

ROFL! :D By the way we missed you today, Mike! But Lee too very good care of Kathy & I. ;)

Are you sure? Check out the AquaTheatre part...it turns around to see the rooms. You don't think any of that are AFT rooms? They aren't traditional aft rooms if they are, but they'd have massive balconies if they are! http://oasisoftheseas.com/video.php Check it at 3 minutes in.

Richard Fain said those back cornered balcony rooms would have their own private viewing section for all the Aqua Theater shows.

The second of seven neighborhoods is going to be "The Boardwalk." Passengers will find a vintage carousel, a tatoo parlor and ice cream bar. There'll also be a place to have your fortune told -- if you dare.

I'm picturing a 'Zoltar' machine too, like the one at the amusement park in the movie 'Big'! :D

That WOULD be the best of both worlds! Alas, looks like there is only one balcony per loft suite. Maybe for Allure? :)

So, I wonder if the living area downstairs has an ocean balcony and the bedroom upstairs has the balcony overlooking Central Park! That's the best of both worlds!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for tuning in for my live reports -- the Internet was a bit dicey in the NOKIA Theatre, but it was great to give you all the dirt as it was being revealed. If you haven't seen Cruise Critic's multi-story news coverage on the event, check it out -- it answers a lot of your questions that haven't already been addressed by Laura, myself or other posters: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2653 (Such as, yes, the tattoos are temporary!)

The challenges many of you mention -- cost and capacity -- are interesting ones. The execs were not shy to say that all of this will of course come at a premium, but actual pricing won't be revealed until bookings open. On capacity, however, keep in mind that the 6,300 number being tossed around is max capacity (meaning all third and fourth berths taken). Double occupancy is 5,400. Obviously that's still a lot of people, but Oasis is a lot of ship!

Of course, it's not the right ship for everyone (no one vessel is). But I have to say, especially after today, I personally am excited to sail. I've always wanted to see a roller coaster at sea. A carousel will have to do ... for now. :)

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them! Thanks again for reading and posting.

Happy Cruising,

Melissa

Incredible yes. But Royal Caribbean has literally turned in a huge carnival. I don't care for a ship with an amusement park, an outdoor garden or a zip line. When half of a ship's cabins face inward instead of out toward the sea, you know you're not on a ship anymore. This is hardly a ship as it is a barge with a piece of Coney Island on it. I lokked at the exterior renderings, and it doesn't even have a promenade under the lifeboats! I mean, the entire environemtn is inward facing except for the lucky I would guess third who have the oceanview balconies, what a shame...

Give me the sea, I don't care for the rest...

I respect your opinion, and frankly if I were only ever going to cruise with just my husband, then I'd probably not choose Oasis. Not for a few years, anyway. I love the ocean and I like knowing that I'm on a ship.

However, my sons are now 20 and 17 and this ship appeals to THEM. They've been on cruises before and lost interest, so we stopped taking them.

They actually WANT to go on this ship, and that thrills me because I am far from wanting to stop taking "family vacations". What you see as a negative "I don't care for a ship with an amusement park, an outdoor garden or a zip line. When half of a ship's cabins face inward instead of out toward the sea, you know you're not on a ship anymore", we see as the perfect vacation for OUR family. This ship offers something for everyone in my family, and I appreciate that. In fact, I may write a letter to RCI to thank them for creating such a cruise ship.

I was at the Nokia theatre today and what a great experience it was. And so terrific to see some of the CC pals I've cruised with before as well as meeting some new ones! :) :)

To address a couple of questions raised here:

They did say that this ship was built more fuel efficiently that other ships. (Hopefully that will help w/ the fuel surcharges a bit.)

I too agree that the ports didn't exactly Wow me, though the ship did! And at the press center it was pointed out to me that this itinerary has one less port, ie, one more day at sea than their typical one week itineraries. Official reason being it would give people more time to experience the ship. (LOL! no on forces anyone off in a port.) I suggested that perhaps it was done to add to the profit margin and help keep the base price down. I got a smile reaction from that one! (After all, if they're not paying the parking meter and you've got 6000 people aboard spending more, then it adds up :) )

In reference to the question about filling all those cabins, especially in this economy, it was pointed out that people love their vacations and don't give them up and that an all inclusive cruise is still often less costly than other vacations. Additionally, RCCL will look to the European and UK markets, where for the Brits, this is half price for them.

The ship looks spectacular!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the spa services too.

I can't wait!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for tuning in for my live reports -- the Internet was a bit dicey in the NOKIA Theatre, but it was great to give you all the dirt as it was being revealed. If you haven't seen Cruise Critic's multi-story news coverage on the event, check it out -- it answers a lot of your questions that haven't already been addressed by Laura, myself or other posters: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2653 (Such as, yes, the tattoos are temporary!)

The challenges many of you mention -- cost and capacity -- are interesting ones. The execs were not shy to say that all of this will of course come at a premium, but actual pricing won't be revealed until bookings open. On capacity, however, keep in mind that the 6,300 number being tossed around is max capacity (meaning all third and fourth berths taken). Double occupancy is 5,400. Obviously that's still a lot of people, but Oasis is a lot of ship!

Of course, it's not the right ship for everyone (no one vessel is). But I have to say, especially after today, I personally am excited to sail. I've always wanted to see a roller coaster at sea. A carousel will have to do ... for now. :)

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them! Thanks again for reading and posting.

Happy Cruising,

Melissa

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you Melissa!!! You being there and posting live made it wonderful for those of us at home watching from afar!! I'm sure everyone appreciates it! It was so funny how many times this afternoon my boys and I were completely speechless with jaws dropping to the floor as we learned each new feature!

I think the ship is absolutely amazing and can't wait to experience all it has to offer! I definately think a B2B is in order here just like my boys and I did last year on the Liberty of the Seas! Truly amazing with a huge capital "WOW"!!! Of course a pre-inaugural would be awesome too if that was a possibility.

Royal Caribbean certainly delivered once again! I can't imagine being on any other line but RCCL!

Just woke up,,,,and it's not been a dream!!!!!!!!! Oasis is real and I also just realized that I'll turn 50 the month it comes out!!!! Can I saw it's my birthday present?? What a way to turn 50!:D :D

Have a great day everyone!

Sorry for the delay in posting some of my pictures from Wednesday's event!

Here's Bennie the RCCL Bear taking his first trip through the Lincoln Tunnel from NJ to NY; a very talented acrobat who performed before the press conference; one of the actual hand-carved carousel animals that will be on the ship; and some carpet and tile samples for Oasis staterooms!

bennie.jpg.c0ec10b018ddfc0b65d0db1460091ae2.jpg

oasis1.jpg.d994e0c8221bf4ed8adff69391b68d3a.jpg

oasis2.jpg.0c57026f479b5595d4de92525790f9ca.jpg

oasiscabins.jpg.a562db160e9db3736c5fc43b33c9ebf7.jpg

Interesting to listen to the tape and hear RCCL management compare Oasis not just to cruise ships but to land based resorts as well.

The first time I heard about Oasis was at RCCL event on Vision a few years back. They made it clear that the ship rather than the ports were the destination. I think they are well on the way to achieving this vision.

Is it for everyone? no. Will it succeed and set a new standard in the travel industry? yes. Do I really care about getting off the ship in Cozumel to go to the beach? maybe. Do I want to travel on Oasis for the experience? Absolutely yes!

The ship looks amazing, all those extra little cotton candy shops on board are added expenses. What about the zip line and the carousel will there be charges for them?

We will try it at least once but mya wait a little for the dust to settle. Until then we sail the Mariner then will try the Freesom or Liberty.

I am courious to hear about the other neighborhoods it just might push me to try it a little sooner.

The ship looks amazing, all those extra little cotton candy shops on board are added expenses. What about the zip line and the carousel will there be charges for them?

We will try it at least once but mya wait a little for the dust to settle. Until then we sail the Mariner then will try the Freesom or Liberty.

I am courious to hear about the other neighborhoods it just might push me to try it a little sooner.

I think it'll be interesting to find out exactly what's an additional charge and what's not. We don't have the entire story yet. It would be great if those little things were all included, but who knows.

How could I, "Janet"? lol :p (that's pegging myself as the ditzy blond! LOL)

Ok - that is just too funny!! Your ARE the blond and your name is almost Crissy! And then Kathy has short hair like Janet! And Lee is just is as good looking as Jack!! Very funny! :)

Archived