Cancel w/Next Cruise

We are considering a few options (I do this every time I book.. I check out other cruises).. and one of them includes cancelling our two cruises, but one of which was done with a next cruise cert. What would be our best option?

1) Cancel and try to get back our $500 dep

2) Cancel and see if they will give back $300 and do a next cruise for the $200 we originally did it for

or will they do either of these? We aren't sure if we do cancel whether we'll rebook on RCL for this cruise... so transferring it may not be an option.

We are considering a few options (I do this every time I book.. I check out other cruises).. and one of them includes cancelling our two cruises, but one of which was done with a next cruise cert. What would be our best option?

1) Cancel and try to get back our $500 dep

2) Cancel and see if they will give back $300 and do a next cruise for the $200 we originally did it for

or will they do either of these? We aren't sure if we do cancel whether we'll rebook on RCL for this cruise... so transferring it may not be an option.

If you cancel a cruise, that you used a next cruise certificate for, provising you are outside of final payment, you should get your deposit back. However, you will void that particular next cruise certificate and lose the OBC benefit.

It's better to just book another cruise, any cruise. That way you wont lose your OBC. Your deposit will be pushed forward too. You can keep pushing the cruise forward until you find one that you really want to go on.

So I would get the full $500 back, just not get the OBC... if thats the case, that would be ok. I just don't want to lose any money that I paid, and if I went with someone else, it would be nice to have that deposit $ for another deposit.

So I would get the full $500 back, just not get the OBC... if thats the case, that would be ok. I just don't want to lose any money that I paid, and if I went with someone else, it would be nice to have that deposit $ for another deposit.
No. You would NOT get the full $500 deposit back. The NextCruise deposit is non-refundable. So whatever you put down on the ship is lost. If you booked the NextCruise w/two people's name on it, you will be out the $200.

Once you have converted the NextCruise into an actual cruise, the only way to keep the non-refundable part of your deposit (and your OBC) is to continue transferring the booking to another cruise until you book one you actually take. You must retain the original booking number to keep the OBC.

They will not convert it back into a NextCruise certificate to save for later use. So your $500 is now tied up until you take another RCCL cruise. Unless you cancel outright and lose the non-refundable part of your deposit.

The more I read about Next Cruise.......the more I am glad they we never booked onboard for a Next Cruise. Just to many negatives.

Just easier to transfer my direct booking just before final payment is due to an travel agency to obtain OBC and other perks.

Jimbo:)

The more I read about Next Cruise.......the more I am glad they we never booked onboard for a Next Cruise. Just to many negatives.

Just easier to transfer my direct booking just before final payment is due to an travel agency to obtain OBC and other perks.

I agree.. this has become a one-time-only thing for us. Too many restrictions, rules, etc.. and all for $100 OBC (big whoppee).

We did a Next Cruise when the program started and had no problem receiving our OBC, which was $200.00. When we were on our cruise last October, we did another Next Cruise certificate, and were told that on a 9 night cruise, the OBC would be $200.00. We booked our cruise in January, and again were told the OBC would be $200.00, but when I checked yesterday, they told me the offer had changed, and we would only get a $100.00 OBC. I have written to RCI's resolution department, because I feel that if they told us when we booked the cruise the amount of the OBC, it should not change once the cruise is booked. I doubt if our next cruise will be RCI, even though we would have reached Diamond status. We'll see how they work this out. RCI was our cruiseline of choice, but we will see what else is out there. The cruise in October will be our 19th, so we have been on other lines. Will probably switch to either Princess or Holland America.

We did a Next Cruise when the program started and had no problem receiving our OBC, which was $200.00. When we were on our cruise last October, we did another Next Cruise certificate, and were told that on a 9 night cruise, the OBC would be $200.00. We booked our cruise in January, and again were told the OBC would be $200.00, but when I checked yesterday, they told me the offer had changed, and we would only get a $100.00 OBC. I have written to RCI's resolution department, because I feel that if they told us when we booked the cruise the amount of the OBC, it should not change once the cruise is booked. I doubt if our next cruise will be RCI, even though we would have reached Diamond status. We'll see how they work this out. RCI was our cruiseline of choice, but we will see what else is out there. The cruise in October will be our 19th, so we have been on other lines. Will probably switch to either Princess or Holland America.

The new OBC's went into effect on December 17, 2007 so when you made your NextCruise booking in October the old amounts were still valid.

Even though you make a NextCruise booking and it has a booking number, it is inactive (you can't even add it to My Cruises)............so, hence, you've paid a non-refundable deposit on nothing specific. When you change that NC booking, then it's the date that it becomes an active booking for a specific cruise that affects what is attached to it in the way of an OBC.

Can somebody post what the old vs. new Next Cruise OBC's are? I bought two Next Cruise bookings in Aug. 2007, and I want to make sure I get the OBC I was promised at the time of purchase. Like the PP, I will be pretty peeved if they give me less OBC than I was promised when I bought it. That would definitely be the final straw that sends me back to Carnival from now on!

Can somebody post what the old vs. new Next Cruise OBC's are? I bought two Next Cruise bookings in Aug. 2007, and I want to make sure I get the OBC I was promised at the time of purchase. Like the PP, I will be pretty peeved if they give me less OBC than I was promised when I bought it. That would definitely be the final straw that sends me back to Carnival from now on!

Absolutely.............

Old OBC's were..............

3-5 nites $ 50

6-8 nites $100

9+ nites $200

New OBC's are as of 12/17/2007

3-5 nites $50

6-9 nites $100

10+ nites $200

Absolutely.............

Old OBC's were..............

3-5 nites $ 50

6-8 nites $100

9+ nites $200

New OBC's are as of 12/17/2007

3-5 nites $50

6-9 nites $100

10+ nites $200

In other words, the only change is that a 9 day cruise now hangs out in the middle tier, instead of the top level. :)

If you cancel a cruise, that you used a next cruise certificate for, provising you are outside of final payment, you should get your deposit back. However, you will void that particular next cruise certificate and lose the OBC benefit.

It's better to just book another cruise, any cruise. That way you wont lose your OBC. Your deposit will be pushed forward too. You can keep pushing the cruise forward until you find one that you really want to go on.

There is one point you are wrong. As Aprille stated the NC is non-refundable, so once you cancel you not only use the OBC but also the deposit you initially paid.

I can see how it would be better for some people to not book onboard because of restrictions, however your given reason is not valid.

When booking onboard you can still transfer your booking anytime to a TA for OBC or other perks. As this OBC would not come from RCCL but your TA there wouldn´t be any restrictions on OBC from different sources either.

We also did a next cruise booking. We booked one cruise and cancelled, then booked one for Sept.'09 we put down a deposit of the original next cruise ($200) and $700 because we selected a cabin. I called my TA and asked if she would cancel the cruise and if RCI would credit our credit card. She said Yes. Our statement came and no credit for the $700!! (She is on vacation till Wed.) We still have the next cruise listed on C &A.

My question is this: Once I cancel this cruise I still have a next cruise booking # do I have to book another cruise with another $$$ downpayment or is it only if you choose a cabin??

Thanks for your replies!! You are the most informative people. I also agree with no more next cruise bookings.

Carol

We also did a next cruise booking. We booked one cruise and cancelled, then booked one for Sept.'09 we put down a deposit of the original next cruise ($200) and $700 because we selected a cabin. I called my TA and asked if she would cancel the cruise and if RCI would credit our credit card. She said Yes. Our statement came and no credit for the $700!! (She is on vacation till Wed.) We still have the next cruise listed on C &A.

My question is this: Once I cancel this cruise I still have a next cruise booking # do I have to book another cruise with another $$$ downpayment or is it only if you choose a cabin??

Thanks for your replies!! You are the most informative people. I also agree with no more next cruise bookings.

Carol

Sorry a little confused by your question, if you CANCEL a next cruise booking you lose the original deposit amount that you bought the NC option with. It has nothing to do whether you pick a room, it matters if you choose an actual cruise which would just be "booking on board". You can transfer your "next cruise booking" to another cruise (did this twice already) and you won't lose either the deposit or the obc. If this didn't answer your question could you clarify?

Sue: I don't want to cancel the next cruise booking #, I want to cancel the cruise that we booked to Alaska that we put $700 down on and then just hold the booking number and not rebook anything at this time. Can I do that??? or do I have to book something?? Really its about airfare :mad: the trip at the present airfare would be $1,216 for both of us. Can you imagine next Sept.??

Carol

I have another question with a slight twist. if my original booking using the next cruise was for 10 nites and I was therefore intitled to a $200 OBC and I transfer that to another cruise only 7 nites, will the OBC that follows the reservation be changed?

Thanks to all you ggod folks who know everything and hang out here to help the rest of us!

Pat

I have another question with a slight twist. if my original booking using the next cruise was for 10 nites and I was therefore intitled to a $200 OBC and I transfer that to another cruise only 7 nites, will the OBC that follows the reservation be changed?

Thanks to all you ggod folks who know everything and hang out here to help the rest of us!

Pat

I believe yes, it will drop to the $100 OBC...and by the same token if you had booked a 7 night & changed to a 10 night it would have gone up...

Once it has been converted to a booking, it has to stay a booking ... the only thing you can do is keep switching the booking to a later date. It cannot go back to an "open" reservation.
So my $700 is tied up and when I rebook another cruise that would go towards it Right??

Carol

So my $700 is tied up and when I rebook another cruise that would go towards it Right??

Carol

Yes. Unless you transfer it to a shorter cruise. Then you would get the difference in the deposit back.

Carol

My understanding is if you cancel and not transfer the booking number to another cruise at the time of cancellation, you will be out of pocket for the NC deposit.

My understanding is if you cancel and not transfer the booking number to another cruise at the time of cancellation, you will be out of pocket for the NC deposit.

Correct............the key word is "transfer" so that everything attached to that booking number is not lost.

Archived