Celebrity Announces New Suggestions for Dress

Here is Celebrity's new dress code. Quite interesting.

"Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants or jeans (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks"

So much for jeans not being appropriate in the dining room.

or are you just gloating?

No, I was surprised that Celebrity has taken this step. Personally, I am happy as I am takimg my first Celebrity cruise in January and under the old rules would have had to weat a jacket for 6 out of 11 nights. Packing will be easier now, not to mention lighter.

I have cruised Celebrity three times in the past and really enjoyed the formal nights and dressing up.

That being said - I'm happy to see the other nights are going to be more relaxed, since I really enjoy the smart casual type of dress (although I'm a little disappointed that jeans will be acceptable).

I think this should make it easier to pack and dress for everyone.

I hope they actually enforce the guidelines now.

I wonder if the move to more casual has been pushed because of the new airline luggage restrictions?

or feedback the cruise lines are receiving. This trend was happening long before airlines made the current changes. No doubt though, the luggage restrictions are and will impact the cruise industry.

So this means they've got rid of the "informal" (jacket and tie) nights and definitely relaxed the casual dress too. I certainly don't mind not having to carry clothing for three classes of dress vs. two -- 4 nights of suits or jackets on a 7 day cruise was never easy to pack for (much worse for men -- our clothes are bulkier!)

Smart Casual and Above

Gentlemen: Pants or jeans (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Formal

Sexist policy! I'm offended :p

Very odd wording . . . What does "Smart Casual and Above" mean? Wouldn't Formal be "above" Smart Casual? Maybe they meant Smart Casual and below. :confused:

No, they mean Smart Casual and Above. If you read their website, it makes sense. They now have two kinds of dinners in the dining room.

1) Smart Casual & Above (Meaning you don't have to wear smart casual. Smart casual attire or above is acceptable).

2) Formal nights

This replaces their Casual, informal and formal nights.

Ah. I guess that makes sense, but why call it "Smart" casual, if it's really not. The suggested attire for those nights is pretty much just casual, while the description of Formal night sounds more like "Smart Casual and Above" attire.

Because they think that if they call it Smart Casual, people won't come in shorts? :D :D

And, while jeans are only mentioned for Gentlemen, it is also only for gentlemen that "holes, rips and tears" are a no-no. So, I guess holey, ripped and torn slacks or skirts are OK for the ladies. :D

Whew! I'm all set then!

The place I work just updated the dress code. It has a lot of amusing nuggets (like "no baggy pants worn below the waist", tho they fixed the "revealing of see-thru items"), but we've noticed that women are expressly forbidden from wearning flip flops and thongs but it seems to be ok for men. Someone suggested I be "a thong-checker" for the men. Um, no....

Good Maybe they will carry it over to RCCL as policy as well...I hope. I am old fashioned when it comes to dressing for cruises. Shoot, I won't even wear a t-shirt to Disneyland. Shorts and a colared shirt is my summer norm to Disneyland.

Smart Casual and Above

Formal

Good Maybe they will carry it over to RCCL as policy as well...I hope. I am old fashioned when it comes to dressing for cruises. Shoot, I won't even wear a t-shirt to Disneyland. Shorts and a colared shirt is my summer norm to Disneyland.

I am confused:confused: :confused: You are old fashioned when it comes to dressing for cruises, but you like the new policy on X? I didn't think those two went together.

dead_horse.jpg

I just read this whole thread and don't get the beating the old horse......... What's old about Celebrity defining their new dress code today or is this just your response when you see any topic on dress code?

Archived