"What NOT To Wear"

deb5217

I was disappointed by how little of the ship they actually showed. I figured that NCL would force more free advertising out of it than they got.

Considering the large number of options available at that luxury mall, it made me think that some of that show must be staged.

I guess since WNTW is a fashion show, the producers stood their ground on what the emphasis would be. It was still plenty of advertising for NCL.:)

Any reality TV (term used loosely):p is not reality as we'd like to think. It's possible they pick the stores as to which might work best for the person. Seems like they picked Old Navy to show the contrast between the person feelings about shopping since she had such a good time and found lots in the first store then was so bummed out there. Makes for good TV.;)

It's possible they pick the stores as to which might work best for the person.

I've read that is what actually happens. There are several stylists who work behind the scenes, doing the preliminary choices for the mannequins, then Clinton & Stacy select the clothes to go ON the mannequins. Similarly, the "hidden" stylists choose stores for the "victim", based on the kinds of clothing she'll be looking for.

I thought the fashion 'victim' looked so much better afterwards with her new hair colour, cut, and makeup.

Much nicer clothes too.

I do watch this show but I still think $5000 in one shot is overkill; would be interesting to see what a person could purchase for $1000.

JMO

I thought the fashion 'victim' looked so much better afterwards with her new hair colour, cut, and makeup.

Much nicer clothes too.

I do watch this show but I still think $5000 in one shot is overkill; would be interesting to see what a person could purchase for $1000.

JMO

Depends on what kinds of stores and what kind of clothes...$1000 would probably go far in Target. They always stress buying fewer well-made quality items.

However, if they were to shop in TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Steinmart, etc., they could have some decent clothes and not spend tons.;)

I've read that is what actually happens. There are several stylists who work behind the scenes, doing the preliminary choices for the mannequins, then Clinton & Stacy select the clothes to go ON the mannequins. Similarly, the "hidden" stylists choose stores for the "victim", based on the kinds of clothing she'll be looking for.

Yes, they would almost have to do that. Can you imagine one of the typical participants (I don't really want to call them victims :D ) let loose in New York and told "shop!" How would they even know where to begin?!?! Most of them shopped as little as possible in their pre-show lives :eek:

One thing I learned some time back is that Clinton used to be a cruise ship dancer a few years back before What NOt To Wear had started. I would love it if he told us what ships and waht year that he had worked on in that eppie.

He had always l seemed a little familiar to me and since I learned that - I have wondered if I have seen him in a cruiseship production before.

Where did you learn this? Doesn't seem like he would have had time to fit it in.;)

"Kelly, who hails from Long Island and was raised in Port Jefferson Station. He graduated from Comsewogue High School in Port Jefferson Station, New York in 1987. During his undergraduate years, Kelly attended Boston College as a Communications major, graduating in 1991. While a student at Boston College, he was the president of the University Chorale. Kelly also attained his master's degree in journalism (MSJ), specifically in magazine publishing, from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, in 1993. Before becoming co-host of What Not to Wear, Kelly worked as a freelance writer and editor at several publications in New York. He was the executive editor of Daily News Record, a New York-based weekly men's fashion and retail trade magazine. Before that, he was an editor at Marie Claire and a deputy-editor at Mademoiselle, where he was also a contributor under the pseudonym "Joe L’Amour"."

What Not To Wear is one of my fav shows and I love cruising so of course I will not miss it if I can help it!

BTW-did any of you know Clinton was a cruise ship dancer before WNTW?

I would love to know what ships he worked on.

Apparently, it wasn't a cruise ship. He was a singing waiter on the Spirit of Boston (see link). He also worked at QVC before WNTW.

http://bcm.bc.edu/issues/spring_2006/linden_lane/style-points.html

Apparently, it wasn't a cruise ship. He was a singing waiter on the Spirit of Boston (see link). He also worked at QVC before WNTW.

http://bcm.bc.edu/issues/spring_2006/linden_lane/style-points.html

Thank you.

For those who don't want to read the whole article.:)

"During his time at the University, Kelly majored in communication, was the president of the chorale, and worked as a singing waiter aboard the harbor cruise ship the Spirit of Boston."

I must say he has an impressive background with his education and experience.

Not quite the type of cruise ship most people imagine.;)

sob_image6.jpg

Where did you learn this? Doesn't seem like he would have had time to fit it in.;)

"Kelly, who hails from Long Island and was raised in Port Jefferson Station. He graduated from Comsewogue High School in Port Jefferson Station, New York in 1987. During his undergraduate years, Kelly attended Boston College as a Communications major, graduating in 1991. While a student at Boston College, he was the president of the University Chorale. Kelly also attained his master's degree in journalism (MSJ), specifically in magazine publishing, from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, in 1993. Before becoming co-host of What Not to Wear, Kelly worked as a freelance writer and editor at several publications in New York. He was the executive editor of Daily News Record, a New York-based weekly men's fashion and retail trade magazine. Before that, he was an editor at Marie Claire and a deputy-editor at Mademoiselle, where he was also a contributor under the pseudonym "Joe L’Amour"."

They mentioned this on an eppie. Do not ask me which. I do not record them- and this was probally the first or second season-so it has been awhile.

It was simply said that dancing on a cruiseship was one of the many jobs he had had before WNTW.

Clinton, my guess is in his late thirties at least -so this could have been 15 or more years ago. I was disapointed Clinton was not even on the ship. I am sure he would have mentioned this if he had been there.

P.S.-

I see someone else has given you the information. I was simply repeating what was said on an eppie of WNTW. I had not done reasearch on CK's career. so you can tell WNTW-they should not had said he worked on a cruiseship.

I really like Clinton! very knowledgeable and generally tries to be kind in his comments to the client.

just a question: when Stacey says 'shut up' is this quite common to say or is it localized?

I am guessing that it's a New York thing. On Will & Grace, Grace used to say "Shut Up" and push people, and Stacey seems to have picked up on that. I've never encountered anyone who said it in real life!

I am guessing that it's a New York thing. On Will & Grace, Grace used to say "Shut Up" and push people, and Stacey seems to have picked up on that. I've never encountered anyone who said it in real life!

Im guilty of this in real life!

I think they more often than not DO close the stores down while their crew is in shopping. If you look around the background, you NEVER see other shoppers. And, they always go to cheaper stores as well as high-end ones ... you'll see Filene's basement on there, Old Navy, H&M, Lane Bryant, DSW, etc etc.

She saw Carmindy and Nick when the ship stopped back at New York. Which is the debarkation port? THey must have let them stay on board to film the final segment while everyone else got off? But the Captain's dinner was also that last night. They must have done something special with the itinerary.

I thought she saw Carmindy and Nick on the sea days back to New York since they used the ship's salon for that part of the episode.

I thought she saw Carmindy and Nick on the sea days back to New York since they used the ship's salon for that part of the episode.

Yes, I must have misheard - I thought they said " back in New York" rather than "back to New York".

In reality I know they meet with Nick (and Carmindy I think?) before the part that is taped - to talk about what they do and how much they are willing to change. So they really would have had to be on board for more than 1 day.

As someone who has never cruised with NCL, I was really fascinated by the decor on the ship, especially in the "victim"s cabin - shocking pink couch and chairs paired with electric green carpet! Wow. I didn't hate it, I was just amazed at it. Also, was that cabin a suite or something? - it was huge!

Yesterday on QVC Clinton Kelly was on -it seems he has a line of clothing. Everything sold out almost immediently. I did not see anything outstanding-but I guess his name being taged on to stuff made people buy them.

I missed the show and am still looking to find it On Demand, but no luck yet. Was there something you would say was great and a must have for a cruise? I don't want to look "touristy" but want to look pulled together, not like I've run out for groceries! I'll be 12 days on the Splendor in September in Europe. I must say Stacy's promo pic with white bow blouse and black sweater with red (skirt or pants) was smashing! Definitely a cut above many of the on board photos posted by cruisers here.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

I missed the show and am still looking to find it On Demand, but no luck yet. Was there something you would say was great and a must have for a cruise? I don't want to look "touristy" but want to look pulled together, not like I've run out for groceries! I'll be 12 days on the Splendor in September in Europe. I must say Stacy's promo pic with white bow blouse and black sweater with red (skirt or pants) was smashing! Definitely a cut above many of the on board photos posted by cruisers here.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

Have you watched the show previously ?

The show was not addressing what to wear on a cruise. It was the usual format except the person happened to be on a cruise (planned by her friends as a "girl cruise") when they did their "intervention".

I must say Stacy's promo pic with white bow blouse and black sweater with red (skirt or pants) was smashing! Definitely a cut above many of the on board photos posted by cruisers here.

Stacy also walks around on the regular show in skintight skirts & stilettos, so you know, she's always a little dressier (at least than I tend to be on a regular working day) It's her job to look nicely put together:p

But if you want to dress like her, esp. on a cruise, no one is going to stop you. I'm sure we'll be happily applauding the photos you post of YOUR cruise:D

I tend to dress a little closer to what Samantha Brown wears on her trips:p And she's done some cruises as well....

Stacy also walks around on the regular show in skintight skirts & stilettos, so you know, she's always a little dressier (at least than I tend to be on a regular working day) It's her job to look nicely put together:p

But if you want to dress like her, esp. on a cruise, no one is going to stop you. I'm sure we'll be happily applauding the photos you post of YOUR cruise:D

I tend to dress a little closer to what Samantha Brown wears on her trips:p And she's done some cruises as well....

I agree, it is Stacy's JOB to dress as she does while a show is taped.

momofmeg: are you and your group still going on the Glory 11/22/08?

I backed out, Our friends already had canceled had last winter.I do not do well in crowds and I was afraid I would be miserable. Since our friends were not going I saw no need for us to go. We are toying with booking the Veendam that same week. It has a similiar ittenary as Carnival legend and I would book the Legend ( I do like the spirit class ships) but not that week. I am afraid there will be too many children on Carnival that week.

Archived