Waitlisted for Baths

tcrny

Hi ... just wondering if anyone on the recent CB sailings were put on waitlist for Baths/Tortola excursion. I went to book it online over the weekend and the trip is waitlisted only. We are sailing CB 7/28. I called them and was told that I will get a notification 24 hrs prior to the excursion whether I will be on it or not. What exactly does waitlisted mean ... I can only get on if someone cancels? Thanks for your help... Cathy

Hi ... just wondering if anyone on the recent CB sailings were put on waitlist for Baths/Tortola excursion. I went to book it online over the weekend and the trip is waitlisted only. We are sailing CB 7/28. I called them and was told that I will get a notification 24 hrs prior to the excursion whether I will be on it or not. What exactly does waitlisted mean ... I can only get on if someone cancels? Thanks for your help... Cathy

Yes, waitlisted on an excursion means that the excursion is FULL. Someone has to cancel and then they fill they fill the empty slot/slots from the waitlist. But don't give up, many times others cancel when they get onboard, and then you will be contacted.

Remember also, the waitlist could consist of 1 or 100 passengers, so you never know what position on the waitlist you actually are, they begin at the top and work their way down.

This CB itinerary, that now includes Tortola, is new to the Caribbean Princess. We were on the first trip that included this port this summer and we couldn't book shore excursions until we got to the ship. I don't think it "sold out" ... I know is was available for several days onboard. Now that there is so much talk about how stunning the "baths' are (and, it's all very true) maybe Princess will be able to find another shuttle boat (or a larger one) so that more folks can get over to Virgin Gorda. On the other hand, I'm not sure it would be a great deal of fun if too many people were on the paths down to the beaches ... or trying to make their way through the "cave." I hope you get a chance to go ... it is one of those "things you need to see!!!!!

can't you book it yourself or are there time constraints you are worried about?

On one of past cruises we did it ourselves. Take Speedys ferry over.

Bill

Do you have any info on doing this independently. Our Disney cruise goes there next year - my kids are 14 and 11 would it be something they would enjoy?

We were on the 1st Tortola stop with CB on July 6th. We had to book onboard, since our itinerary was changed last minute. As soon as we heard of the change, we looked into booking the Baths ourselves, but the timing of the shuttles just didn't work. We had to be back on the ship at 12:30pm for a 1pm sailing.

We had 138 on our tour. There were plenty of seats available on the boat, and the tour guide said that they usually have 200+ during the high season - Jan-Feb., I'm glad we didn't, or else we wouldn't have had much beach time. It takes awhile to go through the caves. (Single file) It was spectacular! Hopefully you will be able to go.

It's a place where you would like to spend the entire day - we all agreed that we'd definitely go back! Enjoy your cruise!

Beth

Based on my experience, I would be surprised if they were not able to accommidate everyone that wanted to take this trip. In our case they used the regular ferry. Once you get off the ferry there are lots of open shuttles to take you you to Baths. If you get an opportunity, have a cocktail and quick dip in the pool at the hotel/bar at the entrance to the park. The view was outstanding. They also have lockers at the park concession if you want to store some of your stuff. The time that I went, I used the ship excursion, but it would not be much different if you went on your own.

As other have mentioned it is very easy to do on your own if your ship is in port for most of the day.

If the excursion is one that takes you to the baths via the water, you will need to swim the short distance to the beach, but this would probably be a combined snorkel/Bath excursion.

The BVI are one of my favorite cruise stops.

Do you have any info on doing this independently. Our Disney cruise goes there next year - my kids are 14 and 11 would it be something they would enjoy?

Unfortunately I don't. I just checked and the website for Speedys is either gone or down.

I remember we took a taxi to the ferry terminal and when we got out these guys came over and gave us business cards and were trying to get us to go on their respective ferries.

We knew the times from the website. When coming back allow yourself some cushion, time wise.

When they say they are on island time they mean it. I believe they were at least a half hour late picking us up.

They were also transporting people from the islands, freight, mail, etc.

Was a pretty interesting stop.:)

Bill

Wife and friends just took a cab over to the ferry dock and spent the day there while I went scuba diving and the cost was a third of what Princess excursion cost and they spent the entire day there rather then just a few hours.

IMHO only I would def. do a very early ship tour on this one. We went to Baths last year and it was fabulous BUT we were on first ship into port in Tortola and just about first over to the Baths ex. for some tourists staying on the island I think. We got all the way through the caves but OMG, coming back.. the later tours and the people who had used the ferry all arrived in a huge massive group it seemed and it was total gridlock going thru the caves.. You can take a path back up and not go back to the original beach via the caves but I'd never do this unless it was in the early a.m. We loved our time in the caves bec. there were so few people!

IMHO only I would def. do a very early ship tour on this one. We went to Baths last year and it was fabulous BUT we were on first ship into port in Tortola and just about first over to the Baths ex. for some tourists staying on the island I think. We got all the way through the caves but OMG, coming back.. the later tours and the people who had used the ferry all arrived in a huge massive group it seemed and it was total gridlock going thru the caves.. You can take a path back up and not go back to the original beach via the caves but I'd never do this unless it was in the early a.m. We loved our time in the caves bec. there were so few people!

Caroline,

Does your E-Mail work????

Makes me glad we did this 2-3 years ago before the cruiselines started going over. We were there all day and the caves were practically empty all day. The water was shallow in the morning when i was in the cave and later when I went back the tide must have come in some since it was a little deeper, much to my surprise.:D

Bill

Thanks everyone ... unfortunately we have very limited time in Tortola from only 7am-1pm and can't take the chance to do on our own because of the ferry times, so we have no option but the expensive ship's tour. Only can hope that possibly they consider either a larger boat or maybe 2 for us to get on. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Cathy

My suggestion to you is to book on your own. Speedy's will get you there and back AND you'll have alot more time to spend there than you would by booking directly with Princess. If I remember correctly, Princess at most give you a little over an hour and a half at most. Plus, factor in waiting for others to get on the ferry, get off the ferry, get on the safari bus, get off the safari bus....etc.

We did this excrusion with Princess back in December. Friends we met onboard did it themselves. They explored the caves, and other beaches...and had time to just relax. They also got there in the early a.m. We didn't get to explore as time did not permit so we stayed at the main beach area.

Don't get me wrong...we still had a great time,but we just wouldn't do a ship sponsored tour there again.

I hope you do get to go though. It really is pretty spectacular.

Have to agree with Caroline about the gridlock. My wife and I took the first Speedys or Smiths over (can't remember). We were in the Baths in no time. Had the place to ourselves. In fact we got lost. Swam out. Went back in and through to the beach on the other side. While we were returning to the beginning, the ship's excursion had arrived and it looked like the Bataan death march (no disrespect). Too many people trying to navigate the rocks, ropes and ladders. Many had large bags and some even carrying toddlers, making it difficult to negotiate some of the natural obstacles. And none were able to venture off on their own like we did. They looked miserable. I would have been too. It may be a blessing that the CB is a short stay. The Baths should be enjoyed not endured. Hopefully you'll get an opportunity in the future with more time to explore this neat site.

I agree. The first Speedy's ferry doesn't leave until 9 and OP would have to take the 11 am ferry back. That's not even an hour at the Baths. Under these circumstances, OP HAS to do the ship's tour and should stay on the waiting list.

If this were a more normal 8 to 3:30 day in Tortola, I would agree with those who say do the Baths on your own with Speedy's. We did and paid 1/2 as much as those who did the ship's tour and we got more time at the Baths. 7 am to 1 pm is such a short stop.

Archived