Daily Exercise Thread

Hi Cruisinsly, at least you went and did something!! That is better than doing nothing. You might not ever like it but you can get use to exercise and make it a part of your life. Me, I like walking. Running has helped tone more. If you can find something you like it makes it better. But there are still days I don't want to get out of bed, don't want to go outside or on the treadmill. But when I am finished I feel so good knowing that I did it!

Keep up the good work!

kelly

Yesterday:

Nordic Track Skier

push ups

sit ups

2 sets of 12 squats

Today is my off day, except for walking the doggies.

As an aside, the dogs and I were walking on a path that is used by runners and bicyclists too. Coming around a curve I saw a man on a bike, so the dogs and I stepped onto the grass to get out of his way. The man said hello as he passed by. Then I heard a rattle and turned to see the guy careen off the path, flip the bike, and land on his shoulder. We waited a few minutes until the guy said he was o.k., just banged his shoulder good. He's gonna feel it tomorrow!

Yesterday:

50 min heavy weights

20 min cardio

Today's intentions:

abs/stretching/cardio

Lynn

Lynn, I need to come hang out with you for a week. I know you'd get my rear in gear. ;)

We're heading to the gulf for a few days and I hope to get a lot of exercise by walking on the beach. I love it!

Hi all! I can't even remember the last time I checked in here. I've been reading the posts, but haven't had the time to chime in with my efforts. This past week my efforts have not been much. Today I plan to get back on track!

I haven't been to the gym since Monday and I haven't been on my stationary bike since Tuesday. Over the course of today I plan to do both, plus I've got to mow the front yard. The weather is finally a little cooler so it should feel marvelous outside.

Barbie

I did make it to the gym yesterday; it was kind of spooky, for awhile I was the only one there. Then I did an hour on the exercise bike last night. I never got the yard mowed so that is on the agenda for today. Plus, I'll hit the exercise bike again at some point. Last night's hour went by with relative ease; let's hope the same holds for tonight!

Barbie

Still doing my NordicTrack, push ups and sit ups with walking. Still feeling good, except for the occasional neck pain. Don't know what I am doing wrong, in the past I have hurt my neck doing sit ups, but I am aware of that and don't think that's the problem.

Keep up the good work everyone!:)

I am 64 so I really need to work out 6 days a week, just to keep flexible and mobile. If I am going to make this body last another 40 years, I need to work at it.

I go to Curves every day but Sunday and that isn't too hard on my body. It is really important for me to avoid injuries so I don't have to take time out to recover. I was really sick last year and couldn't work out or dance for months. I gained 26 pounds. EEEK!! :eek: So I guess that tells me what would happen to me if I ever let down my guard.

I did not exercise today and before anyone says anything I know the day is not over but I also know me and know it is not going to happen.

PunkiC, welcome aboard the exercise thread! I love your attitude about another 40 years! I always say I want to make it to 100 and be enjoying life! Some of my friends are just in their late 40's early 50's and they aren't seeming to healthy so they think why would I want to be 100. No time like the present to make changes.

I'll be posting tomorrow morning!

kelly

bobandkelly~

A day off is good every now and then, you work hard, don't feel guilty.:)

PunkiC~

My father in-law is 72 and he does sit ups, push ups and walks every day in addition to playing golf 4 days per week. He eats healthfully and intends to live a long time, his mom was 96 when she passed away.

This is for yesterday...I worked out at the gym with the weight machines for a little over an hour, and then did a 40 minute ride on my bike at home. I started doing a lower intensity since Odoyal mentioned it is a better fat burner, and I've found that I can keep with it for a longer stretch without too much agony. Last night was not much of an indication of that, but it was getting late.

It's not exactly a better fat burner. It's quite the opposite.

The breakdown of fat in your body is called lipolysis. The enzyme in the body that is responsible for lipolysis is called lipase. So pretty much all you need to know by now is that lipase, the breakdown of fats, is caused partly by cardio.

When its broken down it turns into whats called unbound fatty acids..or FFA's for short.

When you do cardio it breaks down (or mobilizes) glycogen and FFA's into energy for use. If you dont use that energy it converts back into fat.

Studies have shown that as the intensity of exercise increases, the lower the amount of FFA's (fats that have been mobilized) there are in your bloodstream. By now, most of you are thinking: Ok, since high intensity cardio create less mobilization than low intensity cardio, then low intensity burns more fat. This is not necessarily true. Although mobilization of fats goes down as intensity increases, the total oxidation of total fats is greater because more calories were burned, but at a lower rate of burned fat.

The FFA's in your bloodstream while doing low intensity cardio is much higher than high intensity cardio...the faster you go..the less the body relies on the fats and more it relies on other sources.

Example....lets say you do low intensity for an hour and burn 300 calories...80% of those calories come from fat..so the amount of fat you burned is 240 calories worth. Now you do high intensity and you burned 600 calories in an hour and 60% of those come from fat sources...you burned 360 calories from fat...

So you burned more fat doing high intensity.

The benefits of doing lower intensity are great tho. For starters you can do it much much longer..lets be honest, who can really run balls to the wall doing high intensity for an hour straight..i know i cant...but i can walk/jog on a nice incline for an hour no problem, and not be worn out the rest of the day.

It's also way easier on the joints, and since I am a body builder..I dont want my body utilizing my muscle tissue for energy (high intensity utilizes muscle tissue and glycogen at a way higher rate than fat) when it can use my ample stores of fat instead.

You will find tons of people telling you to do one or the other when it comes to doing cardio, its a huge argument in the fitness community, in the end do both and decide which one suits your needs...and even try interval training..where you utilize both at once (aka run 1 minute...walk 2 minutes...run 1 minute...walk 2 minutes on that treadmill)

What a great thread! Only 99 days til my cruise and I want to shed a few KG's! I've got a cross trainer and a weights bench here at home so from tomorrow i'm starting to use them both every day! I'll post my progress as I go to keep me motivated :)

Archived