Southern most point in Key West

EVJTA

I think its about a 3 mile walk there, pretty far. You can buy tickets for either the train or the trolley, one is a tour, one you can get on and off at places, like the Hemingway House. that would take you pretty close. Its just a big painted rock.

I went on the Key West Trolley ride. I wouldn't say it was the quickest way to get there, but it was a pleasant ride. I booked the tour online since the ship's tour didn't allow us to get off the trolley. It also cost much less to book directly then with the ship.

Here's the link: http://www.trolleytours.com/Key-West/rates-and-reservations.asp.

The DW and I just took a casual stroll stopping off first at the Hemingway House and milepost "0" and then to the point. You can then go a block north and get on Duval Street and walk back to the port. The Wings of Imagination butterfly conservatory is right there and you can stop by one of the many famous drinking spots for a refreshment.

A straight walk is less than 25 minutes each way.

The fastest way is a taxi. As you walk out of the port area there is usually a bunch of them waiting there.

We were there from 7AM-2PM on our RCI cruise, and had PLENTY of time to do lots of stuff on the island.

We got over to the Southernmost Point via the Trolley the MOM2GIRLS mentioned above and it was a great trip! You could also take the "Conch Train". We chose the trolley, instead, for the "on and off" privileges and got off at almost every stop to look around.

It's worth it for a good picture, but beware the waves if the water is rough! HAHA! We had to time it just right to get in and get out in between splashes! :D

It'll probably take you about 30-40 mins to walk there, but you won't notice so much since you will pass a lot of sights along the way, including the Hemmingway House.

One thing you might look into, which we didn't do but I wish we had, was to rent bicycles. They are cheap, you still get the outdoor feel, but don't have to spend so much effort or time walking. Scooters are fun too, but I'm always nervous about having an incident on one since we aren't used to riding them.

We got married there at sunset, it was so beautiful. The quickest way of course is a taxi. Our wedding planner drove us. Wish we could have seen more of the sights on a leisurely walk but too much other stuff going on. If you have the time to walk, do that, when might you be back again. We got married in 2003 and haven't made it back yet.

As you come out of the port area, turn right on Whitehead Street. It's about a mile to the painted buoy where you must have a photo-op. Along the way, you will pass the Hemingway House, the Truman vacation White House, and the lighthouse. And the Green Parrot. All are worthy stops.

Even if you don't go into the Green Parrot stop to look at the map of Key West just outside the door on Whitehead. It gives you the distance from the Parrot to several other placaes in Key West...in glasses of beer. For example, it's two glasses to Hemingway's house. It's a big help.

Pjk

I would say walk if you have the time! My sister and I were there 2 years ago, and we left the cruise area-walked down Duval ST. wandered in and out of shops and before we knew it we were there. Then we walked the next street over back.

Never felt rushed and it was a real neat way to spend our time there!! We only had 7am-2pm, not alot of time but enough for walk there and back and we stopped at ALOT of shops!!!!!

I vote for a walk, if you can!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We have not been to the Southern Most point. I wonder if I can fool DH into walking it with me. I walk most days 2-3 miles so I know the stroll would be good.

Try this...

"There's a great bar at the end of Whitehead where they give away Corona Lites."

"D*mn! Why did the move that bar?"

8-)

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...
I think its about a 3 mile walk there, pretty far. You can buy tickets for either the train or the trolley, one is a tour, one you can get on and off at places, like the Hemingway House. that would take you pretty close. Its just a big painted rock.

Just left Key West on Saturday 9/6 with the evacuation from Hurricane Ike. The marker was totally wrapped in plastic and lots of tape in anticipation of Ike's arrival. They've been doing that the last few years since they've beome tired of repainting it with every tropical storm. (Yes, not our first Key West hurricane evacuation!)

Key West is 14 block "wide" as Duval St goes from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean....so I can assure you that it is NOT 3 miles! :eek: Whitehead is one block south of Duval. It is not the distance that gets you, depending on the time of the year/weather....but the heat & humidity can really wear you out. If you have time for a more leisurely stroll, popping into shop and bars along the way...you may be able to do it.

The other options suggested of the pedicab, bike or scooter rentals are all good ones depending on your interests and activity level. Of course, a traditional taxi is the fastest option.

Key West is such a unique area where whoever you are and whatever you believe....it's okay and accepted. A very non-judgemental mix of people from all backgrounds. Being a bit quircky works!:p

Lobster129

Check out videos of Ike in Key West on the Weather Channel website. It includes waves crashing over the Southernmost Point in the "Live: Ike Still Felt in the Keys" video. The reporter is standing in front of the Southernmost House. You can briefly glimpse the Southernmost Buoy at near the end of the video.

http://www.weather.com[/url]

Check out videos of Ike in Key West on the Weather Channel website. It includes waves crashing over the Southernmost Point in the "Live: Ike Still Felt in the Keys" video. The reporter is standing in front of the Southernmost House. You can briefly glimpse the Southernmost Buoy near the end of the video.

http://www.weather.com[/url]

Archived