lets talk about bedding on cruise ships

leeuwarden

;) i would like to have some opinions about the mattresses and pillows on various cruise lines.

We just came back from the mercury and had a cat 5 outside cabin. I was not happy with the bedding at all. I have an sore hip and like to sleep on a softer bed. Luckly i brought my twin airbed, so had a good nights sleep and after i asked for a softer pillow it was fine.

But i think cruise line could do more for older people the sleep better,

hope to hear from you all

christina

I can ususally go with the flow as far as beds are concerned but we were on the RC Empress week of 10/2 and I woke up with a sore shoulder and hip. Hardest bed ever as were the pillows!!

Asked the cabin attendant for extra pillows which he brought (four more hard ones! LOL) and it took another day but he said his supervisor found us one of those foam crate type mattress toppers. Thank goodness for that and we gave him a $20 though it was priceless!!

Last year when we were on the Mercury, our mattresses were really worn out and uncomfortable. We called the guest services and were put in touch with the hotel managers staff. That very morning, we came back to our cabin to find our cabin steward and his assistant replacing our mattresses with brand new ones that were great! You have to speak up.

Vicki

new Signature of Excellence program they had wonderful bedding in all category cabins....so I just KNEW for my first Celebrity cruise I better book CC, and I did, mainly for the bedding :).

Marie

I second this!!! Bedding on HAL (Zuiderdam) was the BEST!

I've never found the beds on a Celebrity ship to be uncomfortable. They definitely aren't like my Tempurpedic, but I find that they seem to be about the same as a decent hotel's mattress. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

I haven't really been uncomfortable on any ship bed so far...19 and counting...as far as hardness or softness. I may be easy to please in that sense.

The only problem I have, and this goes for every ship's bed I've ever slept in, is that I am always much longer than the bed. Despite being only 6'1", my legs dangle off the end of all ship beds halfway up the calves.

When the beds are oriented out from the walls, it isn't an issue...but in the older ships where the beds are longitudinal along the side of the cabin walls, and there is usually a bulkhead or footboard at at both ends, then I have to curl up more than I'd like.

Most of those ships have long since been retired though!

I'd give the Coral Princess minisuite bed the best rating so far...not that any were bad...mainly because the matress definately felt new, supportive but soft, and was a tad longer than some of the RCCL beds I've experienced - plus the minisuite is sufficiently large to allow my travelmate(s) to walk past the foot of the bed without brushing against my feet and waking me!

;) i would like to have some opinions about the mattresses and pillows on various cruise lines.

We just came back from the mercury and had a cat 5 outside cabin. I was not happy with the bedding at all. I have an sore hip and like to sleep on a softer bed. Luckly i brought my twin airbed, so had a good nights sleep and after i asked for a softer pillow it was fine.

But i think cruise line could do more for older people the sleep better,

hope to hear from you all

christina

Haven't been on HAL since the SOE program began, but on Celebrity the beds need replacing soon. We are just off Galaxy, and found the beds in the Sky Suite to be almost lumpy. Asked for some sort of mattress topper, and wondered if these mattresses weren't the original ones. Unfortunately, Galaxy is showing her age in that the furnishings are old and worn and grimy even in the suites, and look as if they are still the original. That can't be, we hope!

why not make bed toppers availible to all?

this is not something easy to find out before cruise. I know younger pleople can sleep anywhere, but when you are in late 50's and up, a good night sleep helps with enjoying the cruise more. Many people have arthritus etc.

Please keep you opinions coming.

christina

I am a bit of a "Princess and the Pea" gal myself. The worst mattress we got was in a balcony cabin on the Sapphire Princess. The only thing harder than the mattress was the pillows! The Norwegian Sky was terrible too. Does Celebrity ever offer egg crate mattresses? I never asked before. They had them by request on the Norwegian Sky. I found the beds on Celebrity are not great , but not too bad. The best one we had was in a Sky Suite on the Millie.

The most cozy bed on any of my 20 cruises, was on the Oosterdam in a S Suite. It was better than my Beautyrest at home. :)

I was thinking of bringing a cheap blow up mattress on our Mercury cruise in Feb. That way I can just toss it away to make room for all the stuff I buy in port.

If you find yourself in a cabin with a mattress that is worn out, just let the attendant know. They usually have spares in the ship's stores, can get one (maybe not first day, but once things settle down a bit.)

I've been in the halls late on disembarkation day and seen mattresses in the halls, waiting to be swapped out. Obviously though, the attendants don't have the time to thoroughly check each cabin's.

For the most part, cabin attendants can handle most anything, if you let them know early enough in the cruise. On my last cruise, the door was sticking a bit and not latching by itself. I didn't bother to mention it to the attendant, as I simply would pull it shut. But on second day of cruise, the attendant was around with a maintenance mechanic -- he had noticed the door and requested it be fixed. :D

We were on the Millennium when the ship was less than 1 year old and remember the beds were very comfortable but nothing compared to the S suite on Holland's Zuiderdam. They are great!!!! Holland also has such great prices compared to Celebrity. We are able to afford a S suite on Holland but can only go CC on Celebrity. A big difference in room size and amenities. I love both lines and will continue to check prices on each one when booking.

We are Celebrity and RCCL cruisers. Never had an uncomfortable bed yet, and between the 2 lines we have about 16 cruises under our belts.

We ventured outside of our boundary, on the new Costa ship, for a cruise to nowhere. Let me just say, the bed reminded me of the most uncomfortable pull out couch you've ever been on. (Remember feeling the bars under you?)

Didn't think to complain, and ask for a new mattress, as this was a new ship, and a new mattress!

Good bedding is essential for a wonderful cruise!

WE had a great bed on the Zuiderdam, the opposite on Costa.. felt like the sofa bed from yesteryear with the uncomfortable buttons diggin in everywhere.. thanks for the advice of asking for a different one or a pillow top.. At home we have a feather bed under the sheets and we love sleeping on it

Archived