Windjammer on Formal Night

We had dinner in the Windjammer several times last year on the Liberty of the Seas. It wasn't until one of the later nights in the week that we noticed that a small section of the Windjammer did have tablecloths on the tables. I suspect that they had more traditional dining service in that section, but the rest was all self-service.

On our lst. cruise on VOS we ate only one night in the DR. We loved eating dinner in the WJ. It was so relaxing, great view, great service and wonderful food. We had table linens, and nice plates. The wait staff would bring us our drinks and carry our plates to our table. We sat in the same area every night so we had the same wait staff, they were very nice to us and made us feel special.

The last night, they told us to wait and brought us a special dessert. They didn't have a dessert cart, but there was a table filled with desserts. They knew every night what my husband was going to have.

When we cruise again, I would probably still eat in the WJ for dinner, my husband liked being able to wear shorts to dinner and it was very relaxing.

:cool: As an individual who likes to dress up for formal night, I say to you why skip main DR. If you do not feel like dressing up with a formal outfit, just wear something night (slacks and golf shirt for men) and go anyway. This day and age, not everyone dresses. Your 1st cruise---enjoy it and don't cut yourself short:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN:cool:

because we want to that's why. :rolleyes::)

I know this may be directed towards the OP, but I needed to answer that as well. It's not his first cruise though.

The 'Jammer is a nice quiet place to eat any night. They make it look like a quiet restaurant with table linens and good dishes, etc. But, it's very casual, and partially self serve. You get your own soup and salad, and they take your order for your entree, and bring a dessert cart around. You get a great meal, and some (not all) the dining room selections are on the menu.

On formal nights you will not find all the special offerings, but you'll get a great meal just the same.

I wrote a newbie guide for my sister last year. If you'd like a copy, email me at pcurri at yahoo dot com, and I'll send it to you.

Enjoy your cruise!!

What ship was this on? We have never had our order taken or seen linens, good dishes, or a dessert cart in WJ at dinner time!!

On our last 7 day we didn't want to do two formal nights so we went to the WJ. There was duck on the menu that night in the dining room and it was also on an island in the WJ. The WJ can nuts at lunch, but was very relaxed and we received a lot of attention from the staff there.

What ship was this on? We have never had our order taken or seen linens, good dishes, or a dessert cart in WJ at dinner time!!

I have seen the linens plenty of times and some WJs even have the silverware wrapped in a napkin on the table.....but as far as the rest,nope,never.....not on any ship I have been on..

We had dinner in the Windjammer several times last year on the Liberty of the Seas. It wasn't until one of the later nights in the week that we noticed that a small section of the Windjammer did have tablecloths on the tables. I suspect that they had more traditional dining service in that section, but the rest was all self-service.

The section of Windjammer with tablecloths is Jade on Freedom Class ships. The only special service you get there is that they pour hot tea, usually green tea, for you. There are also wooden chopsticks on the table along with the silver. No one takes orders. You go get your own food selections from the buffet. You can order wine.

We have enjoyed many pleasant meals at Jade in the evenings. It is quiet and not at all crowded---after about 7:30PM. I much prefer the experience to the dining room.

This is our first time on RCCL, and I am surprised to read that in the evening the windjammer is more Cafe style service instead of Buffet.

Can someone tell me a little about the breakfast and lunch buffet selections and also about the dinner selections there?

We are used to NCL buffet & restaurants. I have been on Carnival one time so I am familiar with their food a little also.

For those that have been on multiple cruiselines, how do you think RCCL (Sovereign of the Seas) food compares.

Thanks!

The 'Jammer is a nice quiet place to eat any night. They make it look like a quiet restaurant with table linens and good dishes, etc. But, it's very casual, and partially self serve. You get your own soup and salad, and they take your order for your entree, and bring a dessert cart around. You get a great meal, and some (not all) the dining room selections are on the menu.

On formal nights you will not find all the special offerings, but you'll get a great meal just the same.

I wrote a newbie guide for my sister last year. If you'd like a copy, email me at pcurri at yahoo dot com, and I'll send it to you.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Maybe it depends on the ship. On the Sovereign, there were nice table cloths and all, but it was still a normal buffet. We had some of the offerings from the dinner menu on the buffet, but not all. We really enjoyed not having to worry about formal wear on our short cruise. We wore our comfy shorts down to the atrium and sat and watched the people in their finery heading into the dining room and then we went to the Windjammer and enjoyed a relaxing dinner.

The waiter did bring us our drinks and also hot cookies and milk for dessert.

This is our first time on RCCL, and I am surprised to read that in the evening the windjammer is more Cafe style service instead of Buffet.

Can someone tell me a little about the breakfast and lunch buffet selections and also about the dinner selections there?

We are used to NCL buffet & restaurants. I have been on Carnival one time so I am familiar with their food a little also.

For those that have been on multiple cruiselines, how do you think RCCL (Sovereign of the Seas) food compares.

Thanks!

The WJ is nice at dinner, it is quiet, not crowded but it is still a buffet. The waiters will clear tables, bring drinks or dessert, help you find a table but I have never experienced them taking an entree order. We have seen the pasta station where they will cook to order, a make your own sundae station and a guitarist on some nights. They have most of what is in the dining room but not everything (no lobster).

Breakfast and lunch are much more crowded but managable. At breakfast, they have an omelet station and pretty much anything else you can think of. For lunch, there are burgers, fries, pizza, salad bar, carving station, a curry dish everyday, pastas, lots of fresh fruits and desserts plus more I am not thinking of.

Thanks!

On the Sovereign, breakfast was a fairly good variety of eggs, omlets (I was too impatient to wait so I don't know, but I hear they are good), pancakes, etc, fruit, really yummy doughnuts, pastries, etc, etc.

Lunch, fairly typical buffet, one oriental type bar, sandwhich makings, fruit, salad makings, soups, fries, hotdog type things, desserts of course.

I enjoy the variety and the quality is just fine for me.

Just off the Grandeur Sat. (8/2) & we did the Windjammer on both of our formal nights. It was especially quiet the 2nd formal night as that was the Fisherman's platter (lobster & shrimp). Our sons had really wanted lobster, so we asked the head waiter several nights in advance if they could order it through room service for Thurs. night. He said no problem, but we did end up having to pick it up in the dining room at the appointed time. It was wonderful for them.

There were no table linens in WJ however we did see some made to order dinners being served, I think they were stir fry entres. We found the service to be much more pleasant in the WJ than the dining room. We also found that dining room meals are served much quicker on RCCl than Carnival. We generally spend a couple hours when cruising Carnival....RCCL was about an hour. Our waiter had very little personality however..there was no personal conversation at all.

We always choose late seating as we don't like to have to be dressed before 8:00, however on RCCL...the shows for late seating were BEFORE dinner, so you had to dress early to see them, which quite defeated our purpose in late dining.

I know they serve wine by the glass in the WJ...has anyone ordered a BOTTLE to go with their dinner? If the answer is "no" I'll have one delivered to the room via room service and take it with me. Everyone's contributions have been very helpful. Thanks.

I know they serve wine by the glass in the WJ...has anyone ordered a BOTTLE to go with their dinner? If the answer is "no" I'll have one delivered to the room via room service and take it with me. Everyone's contributions have been very helpful. Thanks.
not sure since I never had a bottle at dinner,but Im pretty sure,someone can get you one.........after all,they say with the wine and dine package,you can get the bottle in the WJ

One more question. Does the WJ post their dinner menu so you can decide wether to go there or to the dining room?

Thanks

Yea, not everything,but some of the things.......if you have late seating,do a walk thru the WJ when it opens up to see for yourself.

Thanks!

I am confused when you say "Cafe style" instead of Buffet......:confused:

In my experience, at dinner time, the only way to get my food was to join the Buffet line and get my own. If I wanted more of "anything", I had to get it myself. I never saw a waiter or waitress at anytime taking orders, bringing coffee, drinks, etc.

Now, I've only been on the Radiance......is she different than others? :)

We had a hard time getting wine by the bottle in the WJ on Voyager and Billiance - they just don't appear to be equippped to provide it (especially the better wines) without a lot of extra effort (and time). Your idea above sounds like a good solution.

We haven't had a problem getting wine by the bottle in the WJ but that might be because we always get the wine package....maybe that makes a difference. Have eaten dinner on many RCCL ships in the 'Jammer and have always received bar service from a bar waiter....there is a bar in every WJ that we've been on albeit the one on the Sov. is more like a table with a few beers and wine selections. They go to another bar if you want anything "stronger".

The only order type item I've seen in the Windjammer for dinner has been the pasta station. They don't bring it to you though, you tell them what you want and wait for it.

On the Radiance, they had a Mongolian Buffet where you select your meats, veggies and sauce, and they custom stir fry it for you and bring it to your table. They also had small steaks griled to order.

One more question. Does the WJ post their dinner menu so you can decide wether to go there or to the dining room?

Thanks

I don't remember seeing one on my previous cruise, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. :rolleyes:

What ship are you cruising on? We love the Windjammer on Jewel of the Seas because there is outdoor seating on the back of the ship where you can dine quietly under the moon and stars. DH loves the Windjammer grill section because he can have his steak cooked in front of him just the way he likes it and served nice and hot.

We opted for Chops Steak House with our DD and SIL on formal night. We didn't dress in formal wear but I noticed it was about 50/50 on those who did.

We are on the Sovereign of the Seas, one of their older ships. It is only a 3 night cruise out of Port Canaveral.

I hope it will give us a good feel if we like Royal Carribbean better than NCL or not. We mostly use NCL because we have their Mastercad and you earn points prettty fast and you can turn them into Cash to pay for your cruise. Plus hey have a lot of specialty restaurants, but their dining room food has gone down in quality and choice I think.

Thanks

Thanks to all for your responses...100 days til Liberty...and with the baggage cost issues we've been toying with WJ'g it on this go 'round, along with 1 or 2 nights at Chops. We've had a pretty stressful year on the job front, and just want to relax and "chill"...one question-should we "notify" the maitre'd that we probably won't be there for dinner as a courtesy so they can 'reseat' our spots, or let it ride in case we DO decide to go on a more casual dress evening?

Thanks to all for your responses...100 days til Liberty...and with the baggage cost issues we've been toying with WJ'g it on this go 'round, along with 1 or 2 nights at Chops. We've had a pretty stressful year on the job front, and just want to relax and "chill"...one question-should we "notify" the maitre'd that we probably won't be there for dinner as a courtesy so they can 'reseat' our spots, or let it ride in case we DO decide to go on a more casual dress evening?

We always let them know whenever we will not be dining in the dining room, even if it is just for one evening.

On my last cruise, Alaska, we went to th DR 1 time. I love the WJ and enjoy the selection of food better....Got a call from the Head Waiter the 3rd night. He told me he "expected" to see us in the DR the next night. OH yea, the WRONG thing to say to me. After we had a nice CHAT about this being my vacation, he promised to leave us alone. Good call on his part as I don't need some ego-ass in a red jacket telling me what to do.

Thank God for the WJ.

Archived