Do you purchase cruise insurance?

OrangeKitty

I always purchase insurance now. In the beginning of my cruising addiction I did. I started when I saw someone taken from the ship in another country and thought about the cost if it happened to me. I know there will be many differing opinions on insurance but this is just my personal preference.

I always have, and not just for cruising, other trips as well. If I fall, break an arm or leg, become ill or worse need evacuation this insurance is a small price to pay. Our trips run 10-15K, too much money to risk losing. I have used insuremytrip.com each time. They offer many plans. This is not like buying an extended warranty, which I consider a complete waste of money.

Yes, I always buy the insurance. It isn't just about protecting what I paid for the cruise. The other benefits are important, too - reimbursement for travel delays, lost luggage, and the biggie - emergency medical care including transportation to a hospital.

Like any insurance, if I need to use it, it's a bargain. If I don't need to use it, well, thank goodness as that meant I went on my cruise, had no major travel problems, and stayed healthy. In that case, what the premium bought me was peace of mind. Still a bargain, in my mind.

I sure do. You're covered if you miss your cruise due to illness, bad weather etc. I always purchase insurance that covers medical expenses & evacuation. You never know what could happen and, without travel insurance ,the expenses could be overwhelming. For me, the cost upfront is minimal compared to what the costs could be in case of a problem.

We've been on 10+ cruises and didn't get insurance until the last one. MaryBeth's mother is 90+ and we had a lot invested in the cruise.

During the cruise (a transatlantic on Celebrity) MaryBeth developed a severe case of bronchitis and had to go to the ship's infirmary. Total cost was $600 or so (actually less than what we paid for the insurance).

With the insurance we had to file first with our primary insurer who fiddled around with the claim for SIX stinking months. Anthem finally paid off everything except the $15 copay. We didn't bother filing with the travel insurer.

That said, we again have travel insurance for our next cruise (for the same reason as the first). Also, Anthem said part of the problem was the claim forms from the ship had to be redone. Advice, get claim forms from your insurer and bring them along if the ship's doctor has to fill them out.

...I never have...and, more than likely, won't...

There have been some real horror stories of things that happened from people who were so very sorry they didn't have insurance as well as from those who did and were sure glad they had it.

It's up to you if you want to gamble.

• Administrators
Looking at a previous thread made me wonder:

Do you purchase the travel insurance when you book your cruises?

...I never have...and, more than likely, won't...but I am wondering how many people do...?? :confused:

Absolutely, positively -- and wouldn't dream of booking a cruise without doing so. Not only can we not afford just to lose the money we've paid for our cruise if for some reason we can't go (known as self-insuring -- many people could just write another check and still vacation, but we couldn't), but if we do go on the cruise and experience a medical emergency requiring something like helicopter evacuation there's no way we can afford those bills. They can be upwards of $50,000. Not only do we book the insurance, we pay a small extra premium to make that coverage primary if something should happen -- which takes us out of being the middle man between warring insurors.

Many people don't book insurance, either because they self-insure or they take their chances. The odds are in those people's favor, for sure -- most often, nothing happens. But every now and then we read stories here on the boards (there was one on the HAL board a couple of weeks ago) which are SO sad.... from posters wondering if "even though we didn't buy the insurance" there was some type of compensation they might seek from the cruiseline for their lost vacation/expenses. The answer to that is almost always "no."

We build the cost of insuring our trip into the cruise cost, just like we do the tips.

I am honestly surprised. I have been traveling all of my life and I have never had insurance for a single trip. I guess that I have always just felt that it was a waste of money. I do understand that bad things (serious illness and what not) can happen...now I find myself knocking on wood!!!

...I'll have to think about this one.

Thanks for all of the answers.

I have purchased insurance for my big cruise trips to Europe that involve a long, pricey cruise, hotels at either end, expensive flights, etc. There's the potential for so many things going wrong along the way that it's foolish not to with all the money you've invested in the trip.

I used Travel Guard last year and it was reasonably priced for everything they covered. I do not use the cruise line insurance as they usually will not cover for flights or hotels booked outside of their company; I need a plan that will cover all components of my trip.

I do forgo the insurance for cruises closer to home like in the Caribbean.

I think it wise to consider insurance for any trip when you have senior citizens with you in your cabin.

Things to be aware of when looking to buy travel insurance:

*Read the fine print to see how pre-exisiting conditions are defined and if they are covered. Some plans do not cover them at all, some do if you pay extra, and some do based on a timeline relating to when you booked your trip. This is a crucial piece because if you have suffered from an ailment previously and it is documented in your medical records you must have this specific coverage otherwise the insurance company will dismiss your claim.

*Be prepared that when you file a claim the amount of time it may take you to get the claim resolved could be MANY MONTHS. The whole goal of an insurance company is to avoid paying on a claim. They will likely request you to fill out forms multiple times, will make multiple requests from the doctors/medical centers involved, and will probably just sit on the claim for quite some time. Be patient and stay in touch with them for regular updates to make sure the claim is still in process and they aren't missing data, and make sure you MAKE COPIES of all insurance forms you fill out and all medical records/bills you may send them.

*When picking a plan read carefully and see if they have a requirement that your personal health insurance carrier must cover all expenses they are eligible too first prior to this new plan kicking in. You don't want to waste time filing a claim with the new carrier if you have to first file with your personal carrier.

*Find out if the plan you are buying is a reimbursement plan. Many plans will require you to pay out of pocket for any medical expenses incurred and then file the claim to be refunded. This could run into thousands of dollars if it involves a hospital stay especially if you are abroad where your home insurance won't cover you and also where the hospital/clinic will likely require full payment while you are present since you are not a local resident. Some plans may have a component where they will step-in and automatically cover you themselves for expensive medical situations as they happen. They will usually have a hotline number you call for help when you encounter a situation like that.

*Be aware that you likely would not be able to file a claim for cancelling or interrupting a trip because one of your traveling companions got sick and could not travel/had to leave the trip UNLESS they were sharing a cabin with you. Read this in the insurance details carefully. Many plans define a traveling companion as someone who specifically stays in the same room with you. Usually immediate family is always covered (so say your kids or your parents get sick and you have to leave the trip) but for more distant family or friends there is usually not coverage. You need to find out how the plan defines Traveling Companion.

*Make sure you get copies of all receipts, bills, medical form, as well as addresses and phone numbers, from the doctors/clinics you may have to use if an incident arises mid-trip. Make sure that the forms spell out exactly the diagnosis and the treatment given. You want the insurance company to have as much clear information up front. They will still seek out the records from the medical facilities directly but it is good for you to have all this information at hand.

*Verify if there is terrorism coverage in the plan. Most plans did not cover this in the past but more are offering it now but often as an extra add-on or included as part of more expensive plans. Also check to see what types of terrorist acts would allow you to cancel.

*Check to see if the plan has an airline "strike list". I noticed this with Travel Guard. They have a list of airlines (quite a few) who they will not cover you for if your trip is delayed/cancelled due to a strike.

*If buying a plan from the cruise line find out if it covers anything booked outside of their company (it generally does not). If you do air and hotel through the cruise line then no problem. But if you book those pieces separately you may need to book a different non-cruise line plan. Also find out if the cruise line insurance plan has a special component that lets you cancel for reasons other than illness/death of family member. Some cruise lines have "cancel for any reason" plans that will at least give you back your money in the form of a voucher to use towards another trip. That could weight your decision towards a cruise line plan versus an outside company.

Sorry to sound so gloom and doom but I have heard too many horror stories from customers of my travel company who were spun around endlessly by insurance companies in an effort to avoid paying the claim. You want to be as proactive and prepared as possible.

My parents had planned a cruise to Alaska four months ago, and two weeks prior to leaving my Dad passed away. Mom was grateful for the insurance coverage that they had, and was able to get a full refund. I wouldn't travel without insurance ever! You just never know what will happen, and yes...stuff does happen!

My husband and I always buy cruise insurance. We were scheduled to leave from New Orleans for a cruise and Katrina hit. Rescheduled to leave from Miami and the insurance covered the change in airline tickets and reimbursed us for hotel rooms both ends that we had prepaid for.

On our last cruise my husband was quite ill and it paid for the excellent care he received from the cruiseline doctors. Wonderful doctors and wonderful staff. Also kudos to our cabin stewards who made frequent stops to see if we need anything. Love Norwegian staff. Also, reimbursed us for three badly damaged suitcases when we got home. Not loving the Miami airport people.

All in all insusrance gives us security to know if anything goes wrong it is covered. We have bought Travel Gaurd each time and they were so easy and nice to work with.

Judi & Dennis

Yes, I've always bought travel insurance (well, at least for trips that include things like cruises, planes, overseas travel, everything but local stuff we're doing within the US and by car -- where my car insurance and health insurance will cover problems). I never buy from the cruise company. I started with TravelGuard years ago, have been happy with their service and help on a couple of small occasions, and so have stayed with them, but there are lots of other choices out there.

Presumably you're healthy, so worrying about getting coverage for a pre-existing condition isn't maybe necessary, but the rest of the risks can be great, and expensive, if you don't have it.

I have always bought the travel insurance, My parents and IN-laws are elderly and if something happens before we leave I want to be prepares. Once I am gone I leave instructions not to call me till I come home..Its just a safe practice. I hope to never have to use it...

I'd like to add my two cents. My husband and I purchased travel insurance for our cruise that was in July 2008. This was the week that Hurricane Bertha was heading toward Bermuda and that's where we were cruising to. I called the insurance company and inquired about coverage in the event of a hurricane. Well, noone could find my policy (I had the policy number) or tell me what was covered and what was not. It seems that this company "merged" with another company after I purchased this policy and somewhere along the way my policy could not be "located". We made many calls to this company and NOONE would ever call us back and we actually got on the ship not knowing if we had coverage at all. We were still trying to reach the company on the way to the port and we left 4 different phone numbers where we could be reached at. (at one point a rep. from the company gave us wrong info. and then tried to deny she said it until I recited to her word for word what she had said to me!). Long story short....we didn't need the insurance (luckily) and we have filed a complaint through the Better Business Bureau (which after I checked on the company via the BBB....they have a B- rating!)

I purchased my first cruise a few months ago and bought the insurance offered by NCL. Frankly, as a newbie, I did not know [as I do now] that I could purchase it separately. I then called insurance division as our SIL has terminal liver cancer, so it is not a case of if she will pass away, but when. I did not know if an in-law would be considered "family" but was told yes. Even if the worse happens and we must cancel and suddenly in-law does not meet the definition:confused: , there is a cancel for any reason and receive some value back in a voucher.

I also have an 85 year old father and we never know what life may bring our way. I will say that for many cruises I have since priced, the cruiseline insurance would not be cost effective and I will in the future compare other options.....

Always to because "things happen" as someone pointed out. I use

www.insuremytrip.com to find a suitable policy. Years ago I took care of a woman who had been in a motorbike accident in Jamaica and when I heard about the "island hospital" and what it cost for her to be flown to the US I vowed I would never leave the US without it. We've also been on cruises where a sick passenger had to be airlifted off the ship and you KNOW that doesn't come cheap.

I am honestly surprised. I have been traveling all of my life and I have never had insurance for a single trip. I guess that I have always just felt that it was a waste of money. I do understand that bad things (serious illness and what not) can happen...now I find myself knocking on wood!!!

...I'll have to think about this one.

Thanks for all of the answers.

Don't worry OrangeKitty....you are no longer the only minority here. LOL We have never ever purchased insurance for any of our vacations either. This is our first cruise and are not purchasing it for this one either. I'm not worried about it one bit, and we'll gamble and take our chances. Odds are on our side, and for now I don't see the need to pay for something I've always taken a gamble on. Sure, "what ifs" can happen. And I can also get struck by lightening too. Not saying it'll never happen, but chances are slim. I'm willing to take that chance, and I don't dwell on it at all by us not taking out insurance. :)

We've always purchased it too. I have an elderly mother (90+), so we mainly get it for her. We also have to fly into all the ports, living in Utah, and I consider it well worth the small additional cost of knowing that I'd be covered if there were flight issues. I suppose, if I drove to the port and didn't have an elderly parent that I might gamble, but I think I'd still get it for the medical coverage.

We've always purchased it also. It is not expensive relative to losing the entire cost of your cruise and airfare. jmo Accidents happen, kids get sick, loved ones pass away. That is life. We can carry on, and take the cruise another time.

Archived