Why Is It More Expensive For One Person In A Cabin Than Two In A Cabin????

suzy5565

I just checked, it is a little less than double, by about $100. Which is standard for a single booking.

It's because pricing of cruises (and many other package vacations, like tours) are intended for double occupancy, but advertised at a per person rate which makes it seem like a smaller number, and singles have to pay a premium for using that space. Its just the way this sort of travel has always been priced. If you use the room, you pay their room rate; its just easier to swallow when you break it into per person because it seems half as much. But you cannot buy it for one person at that rate, you have to buy the whole room.

I checked prices on the Panama Canal cruise on Sept. 25, and it's much more than twice as much for one person to stay in a cabin than it is for two. That makes no sense! Is there a way around this?
I had a look at this sailing and I'm not sure where you're looking for your rates, but you might want to check with a travel agent as opposed to Princess directly because there is a flash sale on this sailing right now, with balconies going for about $4138 per cabin (one or two persons), obstructed outside for about $3158 per cabin and inside going for about $2738 per cabin.

Hotels sell rooms only.

Cruise lines and airlines sell individual accommodations and passage.

Cruise lines (like airlines) budget their costs and prices based on individual accommodation and passage.

One passenger who takes up two beds on a ship is like one passenger taking two seats on the airplane. If you want to do it, you will need to pay for it.

Hotels charge by the rom, not by the person. Most do not charge any more for having a second person in a room.

Hotel rooms don't feed you all day long and give you shows and activities all inclusive in the rate. All of this is based on two people paying, not one.

I DO realize why they charge double, but I found some sites that charged MORE than that. It just seemed that there would only be one person eating, and that hsould be less, but, yes, not as much money generated on other things. Thank you for your help...

One word here...FUEL!!! The ship uses a set amount of fuel to get from a to b. Doesn't make much difference if the ship is full or empty. Your fare pays for food, entertainment, etc but more importantly most of it goes to pay for Fuel! So, they need to book every space possible.

Plus, they probably want to discourage single passengers from booking alone because they need the discretionary spending, the gambling, the drinking, the shopping, the picture buying etc.

Simply put, cabins are sold as a whole unit like a hotel room. If a hotel room is 100.00 a night and two people are staying in that room, it is 50.00 per person for the room. If one person is staying in that room, then that person pays the entire 100.00.

Cruise companies divide the operating costs of the ship by the number of cabins onboard. If the total operating cost it determined to be 1000.00 per cabin to break even and/or make a profit, then 2 people sharing that cabin each pay 500.00. If only one person is in it, then that person pays the whole tote.

These examples are simplified, of course, but you get the idea.

i think she meant that the single fare was showing up as more than the double...i had that happen when trying to book a single for my cousin traveling alone on RCL once-not sure why it was much more, so i booked my name in her cabin with her as if i were going (i couldn't take off) and just didn't show up--it was cheaper for her than if she had booked alone...i haven't seen this happen yet on princess though...

believe me if it were the same price to travel solo i'd never have a roommate! a lot of fights would be avoided :)

i think she meant that the single fare was showing up as more than the double...i had that happen when trying to book a single for my cousin traveling alone on RCL once-not sure why it was much more, so i booked my name in her cabin with her as if i were going (i couldn't take off) and just didn't show up--it was cheaper for her than if she had booked alone...i haven't seen this happen yet on princess though...

believe me if it were the same price to travel solo i'd never have a roommate! a lot of fights would be avoided :)

I'm confused! You mean you paid for a cruise that you didn't go on just so that your cousin could get a better rate?:eek:

I DO realize why they charge double, but I found some sites that charged MORE than that. It just seemed that there would only be one person eating, and that hsould be less, but, yes, not as much money generated on other things. Thank you for your help...

Put simply: Stay away from those sites.

For mass market cruise lines, "Single Supplements" will range between a rare low of ~120% up to 200%.

Many cruises sell in a range around 150%, but cabins are nearly always limited to inside and oceanview cabins. Higher categories from balcony on up will be 200%.

You can get a reading on the single rate for a cruise by performing a faux booking on the cruise line's web site. Use that as your measure when requesting a quote from a TA.

If you're truly interested in booking as a single pax, visit the "solo" board on this web site. It's a veritable education in solo cruising and prices.

I mostly travel single I just love my own space at the end of the day.:)

Usually book an inside in the area of the ship that I prefer.

The most Princess has charged me is one whole fare +75% of the second....So one and three quarters of the price a couple would pay.If there is a special on that cruise Princess has always obliged.They do know I am a regular with them so maybe that counts a little.

I will never wish to share my 'little nest' so therefore there is no problem regarding cost for me.

Some of my neighbours envy my wonderful trips saying they could not afford at that price. There is no such thing as cannot afford in my book.The cruise is high in my priorities...I make it happen every time.:cool:

Hotels charge by the rom, not by the person. Most do not charge any more for having a second person in a room.
IMHO, many European hotels have a single rate that is quite a bit less than two in a room. And, I've come across quite a few hotels that do charge per person but again, that's in Europe.

It has nothing to do with eating since some people eat enough for three or four people on a cruise. :) Stay away from any site that charges more for a single than two people.

IMHO, many European hotels have a single rate that is quite a bit less than two in a room. And, I've come across quite a few hotels that do charge per person but again, that's in Europe.

It has nothing to do with eating since some people eat enough for three or four people on a cruise. :) Stay away from any site that charges more for a single than two people.

Japan also charges per person for a room. It costs more for 2 people in a room compared to 1 (for the same room).

Celebrity is known for charging more for 1 person in a room then 2 people. It used to be a huge topic on CC's Celebrity's website - not sure if it is still the case.

Archived