New teeth in liqour policy?

boatdrinks

16 pages is a lot to get through so what's the bottom line - if I stick a bottle of Midleton (the best whiskey in Ireland) in my bag and a bottle of Bacardi for herself would NCL really go through my bag and take it out? Or would they charge me $15 for each bottle?

If there's a chance I'll get away with it I'll go for it and if the worst case is they charge me $15 per bottle I can live with that, but if they tell me I can't take it onboard I'd feel they're going too far. What can I say, I likes a loosener in my room before hitting the bar and to be honest, they'll be making plenty off me at the bar as I'll probably be in a thirsty mood so all I'm asking for is a little give and take :D

16 pages is a lot to get through so what's the bottom line - if I stick a bottle of Midleton (the best whiskey in Ireland) in my bag and a bottle of Bacardi for herself would NCL really go through my bag and take it out? Or would they charge me $15 for each bottle?

If there's a chance I'll get away with it I'll go for it and if the worst case is they charge me $15 per bottle I can live with that, but if they tell me I can't take it onboard I'd feel they're going too far. What can I say, I likes a loosener in my room before hitting the bar and to be honest, they'll be making plenty off me at the bar as I'll probably be in a thirsty mood so all I'm asking for is a little give and take :D

The $15 is for wine only. The hard stuff is the contraband. If you take it in your carryon chances are that it will be found and held until the end of the cruise provided that it is in it's original unopened container.

If it is packed in your checked luggage the options are:

1. It will not be found and you're home free.
  2. It will be found and you'll have to claim your luggage in the "Naughty Room" (along with those that have other contraband). There you will open your suitcase and have it inspected by security who will confiscate the bottles and hold them until the end of the cruise.

Charlie

As much as I do not beleive in smuggling booze on board, I do think, most of those who do are the drinkers that also frequent the bars. Those who drink 1 drink a day or 1 glass of wine could care less.

The policy on NCL as well as some other ships started to be enforced when too many thought it was ok to bring their entire bar on board and carry the smuggled drinks all over the ship. it didn't start with those of us who simply want a drink in our cabin. I admit, we used to put a bottle in our luggage, that was before the days of bar set ups. Now, we order what we want prior to sailing. for those who want to try getting booze on board, please don't come back, after your cruise and whine about being called to the "naughty room"

Nita

I remain amazed by the number of people who like NCL's pricing while trying to evade the clearly stated policy which makes that pricing possible.

But don't you think it is better to keep pricing under control so more can cruise and decide for themselves where they want to put their extra money? think about all those who do not drink and there are many. Why would NCL want to raise prices so we can get booze a little cheaper?

Nita

What and where is the Naughty Room?:confused:

Is it on the ship or before you board?

I am too chicken to try to take stuff on - plus I don't dare pack it in my luggagae andI can't carry it on the plane-but I have bought some rum in port and it wasn't taken away by NCL when re-boarding- I actually figured they were going to and jsut hold it til the end of the cruise....

What and where is the Naughty Room?:confused:

Is it on the ship or before you board?

I am too chicken to try to take stuff on - plus I don't dare pack it in my luggagae andI can't carry it on the plane-but I have bought some rum in port and it wasn't taken away by NCL when re-boarding- I actually figured they were going to and jsut hold it til the end of the cruise....

We've passed by some of the meeting rooms on the first evening and seen people collecting their luggage (minus the contraband). The location varies from ship to ship and sailing to sailing. But, it is on the ship, not dockside.

The room may be determined by the number of miscreants on a particular sailing:p

Charlie

We've passed by some of the meeting rooms on the first evening and seen people collecting their luggage (minus the contraband). The location varies from ship to ship and sailing to sailing. But, it is on the ship, not dockside.

The room may be determined by the number of miscreants on a particular sailing:p

Charlie

Not always on the ship. Last year in Boston it was in the cruise terminal and that is where they were taking liquor away and also taking the $15 wine fee. Then passengers were getting on the ship.

Not always on the ship. Last year in Boston it was in the cruise terminal and that is where they were taking liquor away and also taking the $15 wine fee. Then passengers were getting on the ship.

the same thing on Celebrity a few years ago in San Juan; the table was set up just outside the ship as we walked the ramp. They were checking our bags for booze...of course wine was ok, as much as you wanted then, but the really less than friendly crew member was even going to take that away from my daughter.

Nita

Pardon my ignorance, but won't a opne large box of wine spoil if it is not refrigerated? I never drink boxed wine so I am pretty dumb about thing slike that.

There's a fridge in your room for anything that needs to be kept cold. Some wines do, some wines don't.

CG

Has anyone ever come up with an answer about boxed wine? I was thrilled to find my fav (Reisling) in a 3 liter box and plan on taking two boxes on my cruise. I will take it out of the box and put it in my shipped luggage, but if it is found, do I just pay $15 per box? Or is it based on the amount?

Thanks

CG

Has anyone ever come up with an answer about boxed wine? I was thrilled to find my fav (Reisling) in a 3 liter box and plan on taking two boxes on my cruise. I will take it out of the box and put it in my shipped luggage, but if it is found, do I just pay $15 per box? Or is it based on the amount?

Thanks

CG

I previously posted the following as a topic headed "Wine Corkage Fee"

On 8th September I wrote to the Groupevents co-ordinator as follows

Please can you help. I am receiving so much contradictory information with regards to the wine Policy.

Can you confirm the following

If one takes on board a box of wine to drink only in the cabin there is no corkage charge

If one intends taking wine into the dining room is there the same $15 corkage fee for a .75cl bottle as a 2 litre box?.

My sincere thanks for your assistance and clarification.

¨**********************************************************

On 9th September I received this reply.

Good afternoon,

Please note that boxed wines are not allowed. We only allow regular bottles of wine and they will all be charged a corkage fee, regardless whether the bottle is opened or not. The 750ml bottle has a $15.00 fee, 1000ml bottles has a $20.00 fee and a 1500ml bottle has a $30.00 fee per bottle.

Thank you,

So now

Are NCL tightening the policy to the extent they no longer allow boxed wine and make a charge on bottle size

OR

does each staff member have their own policy. This would be really bad

OD

do staff just not have clear guidelines..

If anyone from NCL reads this H E L P.

Just my own thought now but if you are going to have rules then they need to explicit. They need to be enforced in all areas with penalties for those will not comply. It would be better to have no rules than have rules and then not follow through.

Otherwise the only people penalised (even punished and ridiculed) are those who have respect for rules and comply.

The information came directly from the Group Events Co-Ordinator at NCL USA Headquarters.

To me it is wildly contradictory to what others have been told and even experienced on boarding.

I wrote again to NCL Miami and received the following response.

Please note that we received a revised memo from management in the Food & Beverage Dept. on August 14, 2008 to inform that "boxed wines" would not longer be allowed onboard.

Is anyone any wiser?

Does NCL have a policy or not?

If so are they going to strictly enforce it or will the smugglers still get away with it?

I think if you arrive with you box and NCL will not allow it you will not be happy and especially as at that stage it is too late to have bottles.

Those passengers who stick by the rules should have clear guidance and know they will be treated fairly and the smugglers pay stricter the penalties

Maybe NCL should be bombarded with e-mails from passengers and this might then wake them up and they ensure they have a unified strictly enforced policy.

I am aware I wrote would not contribute further to this thread but I am answering a question.

Well I guess that would explain why the rep was wrong, the policy was only two weeks old at the time I called :rolleyes: I guess some things take time to become enforced.

Hopefully some of the crew members enjoyed the remaining pinot we left on the Soirit since this will now be one of the last boxes left by a passenger in light of the new rule.

Interestingly, there are boxed wines, more of a carton actually, that are 750ml and less. Some may prefer these instead of a bottle given weight issues when flying and general convenience. I wonder whether these will be acceptable.

This is the first time I have ever heard of the incremental corkage fee, so I am guessing it is new to all of you?

Well I guess that would explain why the rep was wrong, the policy was only two weeks old at the time I called :rolleyes: I guess some things take time to become enforced.

This is the first time I have ever heard of the incremental corkage fee, so I am guessing it is new to all of you?

I don't think there is anything new in the above position from Miami. On rare occassions those collecting corkage at the pier have charged extra for the larger bottles. Keep in mind if you call Miami they will tell you that you can not bring water or soda onboard.

As far as boxed wine who would bring a 5 liter box and hang the spout off the dining room table. The corkage was put in place to allow us to bring a few bottles of "fine" wine to enjoy with dinner. That is the reason all bottles are charged a corkage. So in fact boxed wine was never entended to be covered.

You then need to move on to reality. 100s if not 1000s bring boxed wines every week. 99% go right through the screening process. Just don't be tacky and try and bring the box to dinner. If found in all cases the passenger was only asked to pay the corkage in most cases reported here it was $15.

Simple answer pack your box, if found pay the corkage with a smile, if they want $15 per liter then tell them to enjoy the wine.

Please people, do not start emailing NCL regarding their policy. Their policy is written at the website and states that alcohol of any kind is prohibited. Just be happy that wine is allowed onboard. If they start being bothered by this, they're going to stop the leniency all together!

Just like the above poster states, 1000's of people take on boxed wine successfully.

Pardon my ignorance, but won't a opne large box of wine spoil if it is not refrigerated? I never drink boxed wine so I am pretty dumb about thing slike that.

nope, just like a bottle, though a box doesn't have a cork, it has a spout that you turn off. It will keep a long time, certainly through the length of a cruise.

Nita

Thanks

CG

cg, there seems to be no answer. YOu really don't have to take it out of the box, unless you need the room in your luggage.

Nita

Please people, do not start emailing NCL regarding their policy. Their policy is written at the website and states that alcohol of any kind is prohibited. Just be happy that wine is allowed onboard. If they start being bothered by this, they're going to stop the leniency all together!

Just like the above poster states, 1000's of people take on boxed wine successfully.

thanks Winkler, good advise.

Nita

:cool: WELL I WAS LOOKING AT THE MESSAGE BOARDS AND I SEE MR BOW LEGS 2 DECEIDED TO JOIN THE PARTY AND START POSTING AFTER HE SWORE HE WOULD NOT I GUESS HE EITHER GOT BOARD HAVING "REAL FUN" OR HE MISSED US OUR WANTS TO HAVE SOME REAL FUN WITH US I SUGGEST WE RAISE OUR GLASSES HIGH AND GIVE A HIP HIP HES A JOLLEY OLD FELLOW WELCOME BACK TO MR BOWLEGS 2 MY DEAR OZ CLEOPATRA MAYBE NOW THAT HE HAS COME TO HIS SENSES YOU MAY WANT TO OFFER HIM ANOTHER JOB IN THE PARTY SUITE THAT IS UNLESS WE HAVE TO VOTE ON IF WE WANT HIM THERE OR NOT:cool: I JUST KNEW HED BE POSTING BECAUSE HE REALLY LIKES TO CRITIZE THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO HAVE A DRINK:p ANYWAY ILL BE WATCHING FOR ALL THE FLAMES AND OF COARSE THE POSTS BY THE PERSON WHO ISNT GOING TO POST ANYMORE NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME I HAVE TO GO FIND OUT WHO HAD THAT BUTTON:p SEE YOU IN THE SUITE OZ REAL PEOPLE REAL FUN!!!

:cool: WELL I WAS LOOKING AT THE MESSAGE BOARDS AND I SEE MR BOW LEGS 2 DECEIDED TO JOIN THE PARTY AND START POSTING AFTER HE SWORE HE WOULD NOT I GUESS HE EITHER GOT BOARD HAVING "REAL FUN" OR HE MISSED US OUR WANTS TO HAVE SOME REAL FUN WITH US I SUGGEST WE RAISE OUR GLASSES HIGH AND GIVE A HIP HIP HES A JOLLEY OLD FELLOW WELCOME BACK TO MR BOWLEGS 2 MY DEAR OZ CLEOPATRA MAYBE NOW THAT HE HAS COME TO HIS SENSES YOU MAY WANT TO OFFER HIM ANOTHER JOB IN THE PARTY SUITE THAT IS UNLESS WE HAVE TO VOTE ON IF WE WANT HIM THERE OR NOT:cool: I JUST KNEW HED BE POSTING BECAUSE HE REALLY LIKES TO CRITIZE THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO HAVE A DRINK:p ANYWAY ILL BE WATCHING FOR ALL THE FLAMES AND OF COARSE THE POSTS BY THE PERSON WHO ISNT GOING TO POST ANYMORE NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME I HAVE TO GO FIND OUT WHO HAD THAT BUTTON:p SEE YOU IN THE SUITE OZ REAL PEOPLE REAL FUN!!!

This is the longest sentence EVER!! Very confusing.

Must you shout??

I have been wondering can you purchase bottles of wine for your cabin while onboard? If so do you go to a bar or call room service?? Thanks.

We had a bottle of red wine from our TA. We wanted white (Char) so we went to dinner & switched it to a similar white wine. (same brand). We went to lunch/dinner & they would store the partially consumed bottle for you. We bought another bottle ($22+15%) and did the same thing through the rest of the week. Worked out nicely.

Archived