New teeth in liqour policy?

boatdrinks

Here here salty dingo!

Coasty...we are actually the opposite of gamblers...but I get what you're saying....

I'm actually an ardent rule follower. It makes me really nervous when my husband or I come anywhere near bending the rules...HOWEVER, bringing alcohol on board has never given me a moments loss of sleep. SO, this is where I agree with salty dingo. I do understand the reason cruises CAN be so affordable is because they have a monopoly on other for purchase items. BUT you have to admit, the mark up is outrageously ridiculous and aimed less at recurring expenses and more at "fattening wallets." Yes, the cruiseline has a right to make a profit...but I also have the right to attempt to retain my paycheck...this is after all, a capitalist society.

I truly wish I didn't enjoy the occasional embibement. Then I could sit on a high horse and look down on those that did. :D

Hockeypapa! I read DH your post and he said we'll have to make sure we pack some Southern Comfort just for you!:cool:

*stepping into flame retardant suit* Watch out folks...it could get hot in here in a second.

Winnie:

I have more wine on my shirt than in the glass, but that will change soon. Going to get a sippy cup, 64oz, that is, and continue for one more stagger around the poop deck. Come on down to my cabin and we open another box of Chillable Red.:D:D

There are rules that exist because of laws, and other rules that exist for your personal safety. These must be obeyed without question.

There are other rules which exist only to fatten the wallet of the cruise line. The liquor policy is one of these. I don't give this rule the same respect I give the "real" rules.

My thoughts exactly! If there was a valid reason for not being able to bring your own liquor on board, I'd have no problem paying $7 for a drink that I can get for $4 at home - or for free from the bartenders I know. And you will never get comped a drink on a cruise (or in Vegas as I recently found out). :D

And all you folks who lambaste someone for breaking the alcohol rules, I can safely assume that you never, never, never even go 1 mph above the speed limit, right??? After all, that's breaking the LAW, not just disregarding some cruise line's rules!

NCL's alchohol policy is why I now cruise with Princess. Their rules allow 2 bottles of wine and they NEVER bother you if you have more as long as you drink it in your room. NCL is only killing themselves. As a previous poster said, the people bringing wine on usually have a bigger bar tab than the people who don't.

Nope. Sorry. they are NOT hurting themselves because people like me will cruise with NCL BECAUSE of their "stricter" rules on alcohol AND their pricier bar drinks.

I for one HATE being around a bunch of drunk, unruly, over-confident, belligerent, DRUNKS that *HAVE* to have their drink on in order to have a good time.

If you HAVE to have your booze your way, then cruise on a line where drinking is EASY and CHEAP. Go cruise Carnival.

I'll take my vacations with sober, fun, intelligent, witty, engaging people thank you.

And - the disrespect for cruise line policy is just down right disgusting. If you came to my home where I forbid smoking and shoes in the house - - and decided that they weren't really "that important" and smoked and walked all over with your shoes on - - then I'd have to throw you out.

It's the cruise line's ships, their rules. You don't like it - DON'T CRUISE WITH THEM.

My goodness grief!

GROW UP PEOPLE.

My thoughts exactly! If there was a valid reason for not being able to bring your own liquor on board, I'd have no problem paying $7 for a drink that I can get for $4 at home - or for free from the bartenders I know. And you will never get comped a drink on a cruise (or in Vegas as I recently found out). :D

And all you folks who lambaste someone for breaking the alcohol rules, I can safely assume that you never, never, never even go 1 mph above the speed limit, right??? After all, that's breaking the LAW, not just disregarding some cruise line's rules!

Most people don't paln to break the speed limit, months in advance, and to me that's the difference. Whenever anyone brings up the old "So you've never sped" argument, I chaps my hide a bit. I don't know anyone who has already made a decision to run a stop sign, on Thurday. Breaking a law, at a moment is way different planning and disregarding a companies policy months in advance. When I went too fast through a school zone, I didn't leave my house planning on going too fast, it just happened. I didn't drive, planning on leaving my insurance card in my other pants, it just happened. So yes, I've broken a few traffic laws, but I sure as heck didn't start out my day to do so.

Putting on my flame retartant suit, when I say, it is amazing how many ways people can justify some behavior. I work retail and many people abuse our return policies because they can jusify doing it because it so liberal. They use us as a lending library or a video rental place until we have to cut them off.

I wonder what the booze sneakers feel about the chair hogs? Hogging a chair is only rude but it doesn't hurt anyone, so what's the harm? There are plenty of places to lay in the sun. just not by the pool, so what's the big deal? It's a stupid rule, anyway.

'nuff said.

Had to laugh at the poster who said after drinking a few in his cabin, he would go out and buy food to keep his buzz going....nice thought but , the food is free ( unless they just put a White Castle on board).

Also the girl who pays $4 for her drinks at home, where do you live ????

I enjoy my cocktails on land and sea and seldom, if ever, do I find drinks

for $4.

To repeat my mantra. if you can't afford the things that make up the entire cruise package, adjust your standards. Book a cheaper cabin, etc.

I think too many people think that the cruise price is IT and then are in for a real sticker shock when they get that bill on the last day of the

cruise.

Take your chances, do what you think is right, but stop moaning, if you

get caught, and then swearing off NCL.

Cheers

Most people don't paln to break the speed limit, months in advance, and to me that's the difference. Whenever anyone brings up the old "So you've never sped" argument, I chaps my hide a bit. I don't know anyone who has already made a decision to run a stop sign, on Thurday. Breaking a law, at a moment is way different planning and disregarding a companies policy months in advance. When I went too fast through a school zone, I didn't leave my house planning on going too fast, it just happened. I didn't drive, planning on leaving my insurance card in my other pants, it just happened. So yes, I've broken a few traffic laws, but I sure as heck didn't start out my day to do so.

Putting on my flame retartant suit, when I say, it is amazing how many ways people can justify some behavior. I work retail and many people abuse our return policies because they can jusify doing it because it so liberal. They use us as a lending library or a video rental place until we have to cut them off.

I wonder what the booze sneakers feel about the chair hogs? Hogging a chair is only rude but it doesn't hurt anyone, so what's the harm? There are plenty of places to lay in the sun. just not by the pool, so what's the big deal? It's a stupid rule, anyway.

'nuff said.

Splendid!

There are rules that exist because of laws, and other rules that exist for your personal safety. These must be obeyed without question.

There are other rules which exist only to fatten the wallet of the cruise line. The liquor policy is one of these. I don't give this rule the same respect I give the "real" rules.

I also agree with you totally.

BUT OF COURSE...LOL...only the people like us..who sneak the booze onto the ship...are the "DRUNKS" who bother the perfect people who obey all the rules...and of course every person on Carnival is a booze sneaking drunk (she rolls her eyes).

I think we should just agree to disagree.

You've missed the point. There is a valid reason for not smuggling booze onboard; the reason: you are not permitted to do so......it's a RULE.

As for your rather elementary example of speeding as opposed to smuggling, that's apples and oranges, dear.

There are all sorts of "rules" that govern our daily lives. Most of us live by those rules. However, there will always be the perennial high-schooler who will try to spike the punch at the prom.....no matter the chronological age. Clever? Creative? A Rebel? Free-thinker?

I think not.

It's really quite simple, there are 2 types of people here.

Those who drink way too much to pay NCL prices and those that rules never apply to. The only problem is trying to decide which is which. :rolleyes:

:cool: :cool: OK YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE LIQUOR ON BOARD BUT THEY DO NOT STOCK WHAT I DRINK!!!! THEY DO NOT CARRY SOUTHERN COMFORT 100 PROOF AND THEY DONT HAVE MOUNY GAY RUM!! IM ON VACATION AND CANT GET A DRINK OF WHAT I DRINK:mad: THERE BY I FEEL ITS UNFAIR EITHER STOCK EVERYTHING OR LET THE PASSANGERS BRING IT FROM HOME WE ALL KNOW THE REASON IS TO MAKE MONEY BUT FAIR IS FAIR AS YOU CAN BRING THE WINE OF YOUR CHOICE AND YOU CAN BUY A SODA CARD I FEEL THE FIRST SHIP THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BRING BOOZE ON BOARD WILL BE SAILING 100% FULL ON EVERY SAIL JUST MY THOUGHTS:cool:

hockeypapa,

The Coast Guard and Flag States are now prohibiting cruise lines from stocking alcohol over 80- proof due to fire regulations. They can't legally stock your favourite.

You feel that the first ship that allows you to bring booze onboard will be sailing 100% full on every sail.

Guess what - EVERY mass market ship sailing from a US Port is already sailing 100% full EVERY sail. Why would they want to attract those who cannot or will not afford to buy their drinks onboard? The ships don't have any cabins for them, and really can't afford to have them onboard anyway.

Actually the ship prices are not all that bad (comparitivly). OK in the UK we are used to cheap booze but in the States and Canada even your store prices are pretty steep (especially Canada). The house wine that cost us £25 (inc service charge) in the Seven Seas I found in a store in Vancouver at $16. In the UK I regard $8 as expensive for a bottle of wine from a store and would expect to see that same wine at at least £24 in a UK restaurant. So in fact the ship was not exactly ripping us off.

The beer in the bars of Ketchiken was the same price as on the NCL Sun. OK it was extortioate compared to the UK but when in Rome...

NCL's alchohol policy is why I now cruise with Princess. Their rules allow 2 bottles of wine and they NEVER bother you if you have more as long as you drink it in your room. NCL is only killing themselves. As a previous poster said, the people bringing wine on usually have a bigger bar tab than the people who don't.

But Princess doesn't really offer a bar set up anymore: I have had clients not cruise them for that reason. Each line has policies. RCI is cracking down, Carnival is following and how long do you think it will be before Princess and HAL follow suit? Of course you have made a choice, that is why there are so many cruise lines out there, we all have to make choices, but I really don't think NCL has been hurt by this. It has been a policy for about 4 years. This doesn't mean we all love the policy, I, for one, hate it, but I don't base my cruising vacations on how much booze I can bring on board...I think many of us feel this way.

Nita

Does anyone have an answer or their own logical reason as to why NCL allows you to bring on wine with a corkage fee, but not allow you to bring on a bottle of vodka with a corkage fee?

Why an exception for one type of alcohol, but not the others?

Nita, somewhere (maybe Cruise Travel magazine) I read that Carnival is

considering a much stronger alcohol policy than anybody has now.

The article said they will confiscate alcohol and it will NOT be returned.

Ouch.

If, in fact, it goes into effect it should put a stop to boot legging once the word is out.

And, it is curious you are not allowed to pay a corkage on liquor.

You've missed the point. There is a valid reason for not smuggling booze onboard; the reason: you are not permitted to do so......it's a RULE.

As for your rather elementary example of speeding as opposed to smuggling' date=' that's apples and oranges, dear.

There are all sorts of "rules" that govern our daily lives. Most of us live by those rules. However, there will always be the perennial high-schooler who will try to spike the punch at the prom.....no matter the chronological age. Clever? Creative? A Rebel? Free-thinker?

I think not.[/quote']

No, you've missed the point. There are speed limits for a reason - so idiots don't do 80 miles an hour in a residential area. It's for the safety of everybody and certainly makes sense to me.

Um, the rule about not bringing your own alcohol on board isn't for your safety or the safety of anyone else on the ship. It's to pad their wallets. That's it. And that "chaps my hide" as someone so eloquently said. lol

Oh, and to the other poster who says most people don't plan to speed. Puh-leeze. Where do you think the term lead foot comes from? People who speed do so every time they get in a car. I think most speeders damn well plan on it and time their commute to work or wherever based on the fact that they will be doing 75 in a 55 zone.

And I don't think there's a cop in the world who will say, "Oh, sir. You were speeding by accident? It's okay then - I won't give you a ticket after all." Breaking the law is breaking the law - whether you plan to or not. Thanks for playing - try again.

You all sound like someone's Mom saying, "It's that way because I said so". Sorry, that's not a good enough reason. Give me a valid reason - with logic behind it - and then I'll buy it.

Does anyone have an answer or their own logical reason as to why NCL allows you to bring on wine with a corkage fee, but not allow you to bring on a bottle of vodka with a corkage fee?

That is an excellent question. Even with a corkage fee, you'd still save a ton over the bar set-up prices. Most people would be happy and NCL will still make its nickel.

Although new to contributing have been reading for some time and surprised how this topic comes up with almost monotonous regularity. One could think cruise passengers were desperate alcoholics reading some posts.

The way my simple logical mind work is this. People know - or should know the situation - before they book- If they are not happy with the policy of the cruise line do not book Simple as that. What is totally wrong is accepting the policy and then dishonestly trying to cheat the system. It would become chaotic if every passenger decided just which policies they would respect and which they would reject...

Cruise Line on board prices are very competitive with bars. cocktail bars and restaurants on land. They certainly do not try to profiteer because they have a captive audience. On a special night out in New York at the Rainbow room we paid $20 for a Bloody Mary $19 each for a glass of wine and a Martini plus $13.50 for a bottle of water . NCL is a long way from those prices. Anyone noticed the prices Airport bars/restaurants charge?

Can anyone seriously imagine walking into a cocktail bar with their own bottles and settling down to mixing their own drinks and cocktails? Why expect a cruise ship to allow this and especially when you have been told in advance that it is not permitted?

Cruise ships are a business and if they do not make profits they go under. It is the money that cruise ships earn from onboard activities including alcohol sales that help them to keep cruise prices to reasonable levels. Would the smugglers prefer to pay $150 dollars more in the fare and then be allowed to take bottles of spirits on board?

Corkage on wine and not on spirits? What would you suggest 20 measures per bottle $2.50 per shot so $50 corkage fee? I calculated this on the basis of 6 glasses of wine per bottle so 6 into $15 makes $2.50 per glass Imagine the howls of protest but it makes that $60 per bottle bar set up look reasonable.

If they did permit spirits to be taken on board then we would have people refusing to be limited to just 1 or 2 bottles and smuggling on as many as they wish. We could see far more drunken passengers (my right to drink as much as I wish) and passengers carrying bottles all around the public rooms (my right to do as I wish) .. Not an inviting prospect and it is one that could place passengers at risk. When people irresponsibly and dishonestly break company policy in one area do not expect them to behave differently in other areas.

As someone who does enjoy a drink I do hope that a policy with real teeth be introduced possibly even refusing smugglers embarkation. Apologies if my little "rant" upsets anyone.

Bowlegs

This is a well thought and presented post. Of course, those who do BYOB to the cruise will think otherwise.

Welcome to the boards:p

Charlie

Although new to contributing have been reading for some time and surprised how this topic comes up with almost monotonous regularity. One could think cruise passengers were desperate alcoholics reading some posts.

The way my simple logical mind work is this. People know - or should know the situation - before they book- If they are not happy with the policy of the cruise line do not book Simple as that. What is totally wrong is accepting the policy and then dishonestly trying to cheat the system. It would become chaotic if every passenger decided just which policies they would respect and which they would reject...

Cruise Line on board prices are very competitive with bars. cocktail bars and restaurants on land. They certainly do not try to profiteer because they have a captive audience. On a special night out in New York at the Rainbow room we paid $20 for a Bloody Mary $19 each for a glass of wine and a Martini plus $13.50 for a bottle of water . NCL is a long way from those prices. Anyone noticed the prices Airport bars/restaurants charge?

Can anyone seriously imagine walking into a cocktail bar with their own bottles and settling down to mixing their own drinks and cocktails? Why expect a cruise ship to allow this and especially when you have been told in advance that it is not permitted?

Cruise ships are a business and if they do not make profits they go under. It is the money that cruise ships earn from onboard activities including alcohol sales that help them to keep cruise prices to reasonable levels. Would the smugglers prefer to pay $150 dollars more in the fare and then be allowed to take bottles of spirits on board?

Corkage on wine and not on spirits? What would you suggest 20 measures per bottle $2.50 per shot so $50 corkage fee? I calculated this on the basis of 6 glasses of wine per bottle so 6 into $15 makes $2.50 per glass Imagine the howls of protest but it makes that $60 per bottle bar set up look reasonable.

If they did permit spirits to be taken on board then we would have people refusing to be limited to just 1 or 2 bottles and smuggling on as many as they wish. We could see far more drunken passengers (my right to drink as much as I wish) and passengers carrying bottles all around the public rooms (my right to do as I wish) .. Not an inviting prospect and it is one that could place passengers at risk. When people irresponsibly and dishonestly break company policy in one area do not expect them to behave differently in other areas.

As someone who does enjoy a drink I do hope that a policy with real teeth be introduced possibly even refusing smugglers embarkation. Apologies if my little "rant" upsets anyone.

My personal feeling would be that you rarely see folks getting drunk on wine whereas it's much, much more common with the hard stuff. I enjoy a drink as much as anyone but I hope they never loosen the rules so I don't end up stumbling over drunks in the hallway or a belligerent drunk in the casino. Just my personal opinion of course. :rolleyes:

How do you order a bar set up? I did a search for "bar set-up" on the NCL site & the only links that came were to the various bars on various ships. :confused:
Try emailing the ship coordinator

shipcoordinatorxxxx@ncl.com

Substitute the name of the ship for the xxxx.

It has to be done several weeks before the cruise as I recall. Once onboard you cannot order bottles for your room.

Charlie

I think the bar set-up is great for week long cruises, however for the shorter weekend cruises I feel NCL should offer the smaller bottles of hard liqour(I know Princess does this) and that may help with the smuggling. I would pay the $80 for a week long cruise b/c I know we will have time to drink it. We won't drink that much in 3 days though. Besides I did pay the $79 for the romance package, so if I decide to bring a small flask(or something like it) just for the pre-dinner cocktail with my husband I don't feel bad about this. I don't want to make a trip to the bar and then back to my room nor do I want to wait 45 minutes for room service. I'm not trying to bring bottles or even a bottle on board. (I may not bring anything this go round.) I know this is still breaking the rules, but people do this everywhere. I have seen so many people sneaking popcorn and soda into the movie theatre(as an example) and regardless of right or wrong I understand the reasoning behind it. I feel that if you are still being responsible and not out of hand then so be it, however I know everyone's idea of what is acceptable is different.

<Cruise Line on board prices are very competitive with bars. cocktail bars and restaurants on land. They certainly do not try to profiteer because they have a captive audience. On a special night out in New York at the Rainbow room we paid $20 for a Bloody Mary $19 each for a glass of wine and a Martini plus $13.50 for a bottle of water . NCL is a long way from those prices. Anyone noticed the prices Airport bars/restaurants charge?>

Bowlegs - I understand this argument, but most of us are not drinking in NYC on a regular basis. It is after all one of the most expensive cities in the world, and drink prices reflect it so it's not a true comparison for most of us. I'm used to paying $4-5 for a mixed drink - $3.50 at a VFW and they make strong drinks. Same for a house wine. Actually, since I and my friends know the bartenders very well, we're often given free drinks, or charged ridiculously low prices for them. Even if you tip a cruise bartender extra, you will never get a free drink - I'm sure they'd be read the riot act if they got caught given passengers free drinks. So cruise prices do not compare favorably with what I pay in the real world.

<Can anyone seriously imagine walking into a cocktail bar with their own bottles and settling down to mixing their own drinks and cocktails? Why expect a cruise ship to allow this and especially when you have been told in advance that it is not permitted?>

I know folks who used to like to go to one bar to dance, and they did not drink at all. However, they would bring in their own water, because when you asked for a glass of water at the bar, they gave you a bottle instead and charged you $4. Pretty outrageous if you ask me - that's worse that Disney World prices. So it's common for people to try and skirt the problem when they feel they're getting ripped off.

<My personal feeling would be that you rarely see folks getting drunk on wine whereas it's much, much more common with the hard stuff. I enjoy a drink as much as anyone but I hope they never loosen the rules so I don't end up stumbling over drunks in the hallway or a belligerent drunk in the casino. Just my personal opinion of course. >

MrLee - I can only speak for me and a few friends who find the same thing - I will feel 2 glasses of wine much more strongly than 2 vodka and cranberries. For some reason wine hits me harder than alcohol - and that includes doing shots. :) I have no idea why though. lol

Still don't know why we can't bring on something the cruise line doesn't stock (like Effen Vodka) and pay a corkage fee.

Archived