Best time of year for PG

wineasmusic

Two months?

The weather, as you've discovered, is fairly variable. It's almost always heaven, so don't be too concerned.

But if you're worried about humidity and the possibility of rain, avoid the December - April timeframe. We went once in April and although it didn't rain (much), it was very hot and humid. I've heard March can be wicked as well.

July and August is the high season, and their "winter"--driest and coolest months.

May and June have been lucky for us. (But we're going in December this time, so go figure!)

We went in February (2004) -- although we had some nice weather, there were a couple of huge rainstorms that cancelled excursions. I have to agree that the weather around the world has been quite changeable.:) I agree with Wendy -- July/August (although I wouldn't count out May/June/September).

I checked weatherunderground.com for historical rain info but it varied so much from year to year I could not decide which month was best. Any opinions on which two months are the best to go?

D2

One way to factor what time of year is best, is look at PG cruise prices! :D

Welcome to the Regent board D & P!!! Nice to "see" you! :)

Host Dan

Two months?

The weather, as you've discovered, is fairly variable. It's almost always heaven, so don't be too concerned.

But if you're worried about humidity and the possibility of rain, avoid the December - April timeframe. We went once in April and although it didn't rain (much), it was very hot and humid. I've heard March can be wicked as well.

July and August is the high season, and their "winter"--driest and coolest months.

May and June have been lucky for us. (But we're going in December this time, so go figure!)

------------------------------------------------

We went end of May- 14 nights, only one day it rained, for about an hour. Wendy- I am curious- if you know that April is rainy, why go there in April???

Enjoy

April is not rainy, at least not consistently. It is consistently hotter and muggier.

But this original poster asked about the best *weather*, not the most economical time to go. What they call "summer in Tahiti", February - April, is often the time when you get bargains. And the weather in general is uniformly gorgeous, so a little heat and humidity wouldn't deter me, at least at the price I got in 2003. That's why we went.

In the French Polynesia the wet season runs from October to March, so theoretically when we were on the PG in May, we had arrived there at the right time of year. It wasn't supposed to be wet. It certainly ended up though that about half of the trip was non-stop rain. To our delight it was bright and sunny the other half!

I think it's a crap shoot as to what time of year is best. I agree with Dan and pick the most economical time to go for you and then go with the flow. Although they say that June, July, August is supposed to be the best weather, I just couldn't see myself going anywhere hot during our summer months here back home. Lord knows they are short enough. I always try to plan our trips when there will be the least amount of people in my destination of choice and also during our winter or rainy season back home. It's always a treat to get out of snow and go somewhere hot. We've been mid March before and we had wonderful weather. I'm going again in October and hoping that we will get the same repeat weather but even if it's raining in FP it's still beautiful. Down there, you soon mellow out and roll with the punches.

Have fun with your decision and trip planning.

Pat

Archived