Your first cruise ship

The first time I was on a cruise ship was when my parents and I went to see my cousin off on Queen Elizabeth the first. She sailed in a teesy cabin inside with 3 other girls and 4 hatboxes. 1957.

In 1990 I went to see my mom and dad off on the Royal Viking Sky. I didn't want to get off the ship. And my son who went with me didnt get off. He saw the empty bed in their room and asked if he could go along. It was spring break and my parents were ok with the idea. He had extra clothes but was wearing a suit. We ran to Target and got him more underwear, casual shoes and some shorts and t shirts and off he went.

My first cruise was the Royal Viking Queen Inagurel year: Greek Islands.

It was great fun and our son took us to the past cruisers party as his quests.

We were all hooked!

Ours was The NORWAY, 1988, then again in 1990. Hal was the only other ship line we have sailed to remind us of the Granduer of sailing! Yes, we were hooked! Nearing 35 cruises this year with our 20 day Noordam trip, we always think back to what started a grand adventure!

Edited by grammy c

Our first cruise was on a lovely Renaissance ship and we had never wanted to cruise! You know we were hooked after that and have done too many to list! What is not to like?

Ship+Photo+RENAISSANCE+SEVEN.jpg

This type? Renaissance Seven (the seventh in a class of eight similar 'yacht-like' vessels accomodating 114 passengers) or:

Ship+Photo+R+Six.jpg

This type? R-Six (the sixth in a class of eight larger vessels accomodating 684 passengers)

Renaissance Cruises ceased operation on 25 September 2001. All of their vessels were chartered or sold to other cruise lines and continue to operate to this day for different owners/lines.

First cruise was aboard the NCL Leeward. A beautiful "little" ship by today's standards. We had the George Bush (senior) suite on the bow with a whirlpool out on deck. It was a wonderful cruise, and I must admit hooked me right away. The Leeward has had a rocky history since it left NCL, definitely a story worth looking up if you have the time. The Leeward took us to the Western Caribbean and returned us to Port Canaveral.

My honeymoon cruise was also my first cruise. It was on the Furness-Bermuda line's Ocean Monarch in 1964 to Bermuda & Nassau from NYC. Although I enjoyed it, I had quite an adventure.

I don't know if the ship had stabilizers but the dining room tables had rims that could raise to prevent the dishes from sliding off the table. The other woman at the table because so ill at dinner that she vomited all over the table and they moved us quickly.

I got a major ear infection and the aged and possibly drunk ship's doctor wanted to send me home. I didn't want to go as I had never flown at that time. After that I did not cruise until 1975.

Fran

1st one to visit was the ship Jason back in the 80's (very small)

Then the First one to eat on was Regent Sea or Star

To cruise on, Eugeneo Costa (for 1 Day only) Back in 1992 1st gulf war

they came to canada for some reason.

Ship I have eaten on the Most Def Maasdam or old Westerdam (came a lot here in the 90's)

But 1st actual cruise will be Eurodam for 7 days 28th Feb

I think i will enjoy it a lot, cruising around the Carribbean.

Been to some Islands but never cruised (Heck Im a landlubber) lol

Ship+Photo+JASON.jpg

Eros (1965-present) Originally built in 1965 as mts Eros, the second of three cruise/ferries, by Cantieri Runiti dell’ Adriatico, Monfalcone, Italy. They were the final installment of Italian World War II reparations to Greek Government on behalf of the Hellenic Tourism Organisation. Eros was operated by Typaldos Lines, sailing three times per week from Piraeus to either Rhodes and Dodecanese or to Crete and back.

Edited by Copper10-8

Our first cruise was on Superstar Virgo, November 2007, 5 nights, Singapore to Phuket and back to Singapore. We chose this cruise as a 'taster' to see if we'd like cruising as much as we thought we might. Well, we're off on Volendam in 34 days - we have well and truly caught the bug, and have a very long wish list of cruises we want to do - only have to save up enough $ now! :D:D:D

What a fun thread...mine was the NCL Sunward in 1969. A high school graduation trip with 3 girlfriends. One girl's divorced Mom was our chaperone and she got friendly with one of the ship's officers and we barely saw her. Oh, those were the days :D

Sunward01.jpg.cb33ec65f1f7fd01bd2e3593b29d18cd.jpg

Ours was Royal Caribbean late March early April 1997 - Mexican Riviera

We were not hooked as it was not until Aug 2007- 10 years later that we did it again...

We were used to going to Mexico for 2 weeks, stepping of the airplane and having full heat for 14 days..(We are from Toronto).

Our 1st cruise we didn't like the 2 day sail to Mexico, (we sailed to the bottom then stopped at each port heading back to LA) in cold and wind. I got wind burn on my face (while wearing a coat for warmth), which is just as bad as sun burn..lol...

Our fixed seating 8pm (loved that) was with people older than our parents and in turn they talked about children older than us..lol.. We hated leaving a warm port at 3pm to head out to sea to cold and winds... We were approx 27 at the time..

Also our cabin was the lowest you could have with a porthole..Entire bathroom was the shower.. (do they still have that?)..lol

Since then we have done European cruises and loved every minute of it.... along with our 5 year old son.. This year we are trying the Caribbean but even though our ages have increased I am not sure our tollerance for cool weather will have..lol..

We are now hooked on Cruising.........and balcony cabins...

Wendy:)

Ours was the Ryndam, May 2000, our 25th anniversary. It was to be our trip of a lifetime, but turned out to be the beginning of the rest of our life! We were hooked just looking at the ship on the dock before boarding. It was the Alaska inside passage, Seward to Vancouver.

John, the photos and information you have posted on this thread are like catnip to those of us who love ships and their history. I wish there was a way to bundle all of the ships' stories and pictures into one big reference. I would turn to it often, and take it with us on our cruises for sure. Of course, this is a living conversation that may never end, if we're lucky. I would love to see you publish all of this work, but now I might be violating some CC policy. :o What are your thoughts?

My first cruise was on a HAL ship, but not one most of you would have heard of. It was the "Grote Beer" (Big Dipper), and it was back in 1959. Most of HAL's ships back then were being used as emigration ships, transporting thousands of Dutch families to the promised land of Canada. The ship had no stabilizers and truly lived up to its English name, but we loved it, it was a wonderful voyage. Unfortunately, my husband, who came over in 1959, did not enjoy one minute of his cruise, as he was sea sick the whole time, and it took until 1996 before he could be persuaded to try another cruise, this time on the Ryndam. The rest, as they say, is history! Too bad HAL doesn't count those 10 days for each of us, I guess it was too long ago.

My first cruise was on a HAL ship, but not one most of you would have heard of. It was the "Grote Beer" (Big Dipper), and it was back in 1959. Most of HAL's ships back then were being used as emigration ships, transporting thousands of Dutch families to the promised land of Canada. The ship had no stabilizers and truly lived up to its English name, but we loved it, it was a wonderful voyage. Unfortunately, my husband, who came over in 1959, did not enjoy one minute of his cruise, as he was sea sick the whole time, and it took until 1996 before he could be persuaded to try another cruise, this time on the Ryndam. The rest, as they say, is history! Too bad HAL doesn't count those 10 days for each of us, I guess it was too long ago.

Alsjeblieft/There you go, Ineke

VIC-1.jpg

ss Costa Rica Victory (1945-1971) Originally built by the Permanente Metals Co, Richmond, California for the United War Shipping Administration as Victory-class (improved Liberty-class version) troop ship/freighter Costa Rica Victory. She was commissioned in 1945, towards the end of World War II and managed by the American Hawaiian Steamship Co, New York. Her war time service however, was short lived and she was laid up and placed for sale in 1946.

She was purchased along, with her two sisters, ss Cranston Victory (renamed Zuiderkruis or Southern Cross) and ss La Grande Victory (renamed Waterman or Aquarius) in 1947 by the Dutch Government and used a troop and civilian transport to and from the Dutch East Indies (present Indonesia) and Dutch New Guinea. She was renamed Groote Beer (Big Bear or Big Dipper) and, unlike Waterman and Zuiderkruis stayed under direct Dutch Government control (N.V. Scheepvaart Maatschappij Trans Oceaan/Trans Ocean Shipping Company Ltd) until 1952. She also made three voyages to Australia before her reconstruction commenced in November of 1951 in Amsterdam.

In November 1951, she was sent to the Nederlandsche Dok en Scheepsbouw Maatschappij (NDSM)/Netherlands Dry-Dock Shipbuilding Company in Amsterdam where construction started to rebuilt her for general passenger use. An extra deck was added, she received a new bridge, and her original accommodations were gutted. In its place, she had cabins fitted to accommodate up to 830 passengers.

Still owned by the government but now managed by Rotterdam's Holland America Line starting in June, 1952, she was then used to transport thousands of immigrants to the United States (New York City), Canada and occasional runs to Australia from all parts of Europe. She made regular stops at Halifax, Nova Scotia's Pier 21 (Canada's Ellis Island), and to Quebec City and Montreal. In 1961, Holland America outright purchased the Groote Beer from the Dutch Government and also assumed control over Trans Oceaan. In 1962, she and Waterman, were chartered as accommodation ships for the Commonwealth Games in Fremantle (Perth), Australia.

In 1963, she was sold by the Dutch Governmentand purchased by Greek shipping tycoon Yiannis Latsis aka John Spyridon Latsis and his family-owned Latsis Shipping Company. She was renamed Marianna IV and operated on another immigrant service, this time from Piraeus to Australia and New Zealand. In 1964 and 1965, she was chartered by the Atlantic Educational Program for four round-trip student voyages between Rotterdam and New York. For this charter, she received her old name of Groote Beer and Holland America Line once again acted as her agent. Back under Marianna IV, she was laid up at Eleusis Bay, Greece in March 1967. She was sold for scrap in 1970 and broken up at Eleusis in 1971.]

gbeer.jpg

Ship+Photo+Groote+Beer.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

John, the photos and information you have posted on this thread are like catnip to those of us who love ships and their history. I wish there was a way to bundle all of the ships' stories and pictures into one big reference. I would turn to it often, and take it with us on our cruises for sure. Of course, this is a living conversation that may never end, if we're lucky. I would love to see you publish all of this work, but now I might be violating some CC policy. :o What are your thoughts?

Thanks Mrs Muir! Maybe something for the future (after working full-time;))

Great thread!

Our first cruise was in March 1995...Honeymoon...(the old) Noordam...Western Caribbean...FLL-Key West-Ocho Rios-Cozumel-Grand Cayman-FLL.

Arriving at the cruise terminal and seeing the ship for the first time was absolutely magical! Soon we were thinking, "This is cool...we get to travel on this floating palace, eat as much great food, and whenever we wish, have great entertainment, get treated like kings and queens, AND, they take you to exciting places we only could dream about when we were kids!" And yes--we were hooked. And...that first glance of the ship remains just as magical.

Kevin

Great thread!

Our first cruise was in March 1995...Honeymoon...(the old) Noordam...Western Caribbean...FLL-Key West-Ocho Rios-Cozumel-Grand Cayman-FLL.

Arriving at the cruise terminal and seeing the ship for the first time was absolutely magical! Soon we were thinking, "This is cool...we get to travel on this floating palace, eat as much great food, and whenever we wish, have great entertainment, get treated like kings and queens, AND, they take you to exciting places we only could dream about when we were kids!" And yes--we were hooked. And...that first glance of the ship remains just as magical.

Kevin

Ship+Photo+NOORDAM.jpg

m/s Noordam III (1984-present) Built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique, St. Nazaire, France and delivered to Holland America Line in 1984, the third Noordam was the first built for luxury cruise service. She made her maiden voyage from Le Havre, France to Tampa, Fl, via Horta, Azores and Bermuda on April 8, 1984. She was identical to her sister, Nieuw Amsterdam III, but with art and decor in a Dutch East Indies theme. She would become a very popular ship with passengers as she cruised, primarily in the Caribbean in the winter and in Alaska in the summer. She made her final cruise for HAL from Barcelona, Spain to Lisbon, Portugal in November, 2004.

In 2005, the ship was acquired by Cyprus-based Louis Cruise Lines and was immediately placed on a long-term charter to Thomson Cruises (UK) who renamed her Thomson Celebration. She is currently operating for them on low-price cruises around Europe.

Ship+Photo+Thomson+Celebration.jpg

Re- older ships/memories. Two of our earlier cruises were on the old Nieuw Amsterdam & the old Noordam. We cruised with friends & my sister in a "Delux" cabin- the biggest cabin I ever saw! My sister slept in the nook under the window and that cruise was GREAT! The next on her sister ship was a "smaller" cabin right behind the center bar; I thought "We aren't going to like this- its too near nightly noise" but there was a door separating the area and there were I BELIEVE just 4 or 6 cabins with doors opposite each other in that area so we really took delight in knowing our "neighbors" on that ship and the cabin was GREAT!

One morning we wandered into the bar area which was the balcony for a service area where they did programs and such; that morning's was a supplimentary "program" because of a missed port [ bad weather] in the Atlantic and was "Asian cooking" lessons. After the lesson part, waves of waiters brought in huge trays of the food -I leaned over to Dick and remarked "That's too bad to waste all that food; its only 10:30 and I'm sure everyone is still full from breakfast"........enough said; the line was long/ the place picked clean within 20 minutes/it looked as if LOCUSTS had hit!!!!

The smaller ships like those 2 were cosy, and comfortable -even in their last days in service for HAL. My memories are of smiling crew, of sundrenched decks, of people visiting in small groups, of GOOD food and experiments with NEW foods, and I think most would remember them in much the same way; Grand OL' Ladies in their finery.....

Anne

Edited by ANSalberg

Re- older ships/memories. Two of our earlier cruises were on the old Nieuw Amsterdam & the old Noordam. We cruised with friends & my sister in a "Delux" cabin- the biggest cabin I ever saw! My sister slept in the nook under the window and that cruise was GREAT! The next on her sister ship was a "smaller" cabin right behind the center bar; I thought "We aren't going to like this- its too near nightly noise" but there was a door separating the area and there were I BELIEVE just 4 or 6 cabins with doors opposite each other in that area so we really took delight in knowing our "neighbors" on that ship and the cabin was GREAT!

One morning we wandered into the bar area which was the balcony for a service area where they did programs and such; that morning's was a supplimentary "program" because of a missed port [ bad weather] in the Atlantic and was "Asian cooking" lessons. After the lesson part, waves of waiters brought in huge trays of the food -I leaned over to Dick and remarked "That's too bad to waste all that food; its only 10:30 and I'm sure everyone is still full from breakfast"........enough said; the line was long/ the place picked clean within 20 minutes/it looked as if LOCUSTS had hit!!!!

The smaller ships like those 2 were cosy, and comfortable -even in their last days in service for HAL. My memories are of smiling crew, of sundrenched decks, of people visiting in small groups, of GOOD food and experiments with NEW foods, and I think most would remember them in much the same way; Grand OL' Ladies in their finery.....

Anne

Ship+Photo+Nieuw+Amsterdam+-+HAL.jpg

m/s Nieuw Amsterdam III (1983-present). Built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard, St. Nazaire, France and delivered to Holland America Line in 1983, she operated for them until 2000. Purchased by American Classic Cruises in that year and renamed Patriot. When Americal Classic went bankrupt, she was laid up in Honolulu, Hi in 2001 but auctioned off in 2002, and returned to HAL as Nieuw Amsterdam.

In May 2002, she was sold to Cyprus-based Louis Cruise Lines who chartered her to UK-based Thomson Cruise for ten years. After a refit in Piraeus, Greece, she was renamed Thomson Spirit and is currently sailing for Thomson under that name

Ship+Photo+THOMSON+SPIRIT.jpg

Perhaps a website for all this interesting and valuable information. You'd definitely get traffic,it's great stuff.

Super job John

Thanks

Edited by pipedreams62