Just Back from the Zaandam 10/23/04

avlski

Hi! We have just returned from the 10/23/04 sailing of the Zaandam - western journey... Wow! What a GREAT ship! GREAT trip! Great time! Just EXCELLENT and WONDERFUL!!! We were in a no frills cabin - 2672 and were very pleased. We were a party of 3 adults - and had more than enough room for ourselves and luggage..... There were 2 VERY COMFORTABLE twin beds and a large sleeper sofa....... So - we all slept - with no problems! Our cabin steward was great - our room was kept very well!

The embarkation process - smooth - easy.... Strong recommendation - have your paperwork COMPLETED! It will decrease your embarkation time and fellow passengers.... we did our's online - "piece of cake!"

DINING PLEASURE!!!

We were VERY, VERY pleased with all of the food service and restarants....

The Lido was GREAT..... We enjoyed "very tasty" breakfast and lunches there - everyday..... Omelet station, Deli Station, Desserts, Ice Cream Station, food in the line..... awesome!The Rotterdam Restaurant - wow! very beautiful - great service.... our waiter was Hyat - He was very pleasant, informative, and efficient...... Enjoyed all of the food there! Lobster Night was Thursday.... it was terrific! The meal was served with 2 nice sized tails - tasty and delicious..... I ordered a sirloin steak to go with it and had SURF and TURF - yum! There were 2 formal nights - it was necessary for the men to be in either a suit and tie or Tux.......There were 2 informal nights - which required the men to be in a jacket.... Due to those facts - we elected - not to get dolled up - and only attended the one formal night - so we could enjoy the lobster tails..... The Rotterdam also had casual nights - the only restrictions were no shorts, jeans, tank tops...... We did go to the Rotterdam on those nights...... As an alternate dining selection - we ate in the Lido for dinner..... they served the same meals as the Rotterdam.... with much less fuss..... so if you enjoy casual - the Lido is for you!

And if you enjoy getting dressed - the Rotterdam will "suit" you fine.... that is what we enjoyed so much about our cruise - we could pretty much do as we pleased - and still got to enjoy all the yummy food on board the Zaandam!

They also had a Dutch Tea - one day - served in the Rotterdam.... that was really nice too! The pool area served - very tasty pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs, and Mexican food!!! I guarantee - you will not go hungry on this ship!

ENTERTAINMENT

The entertainment was GREAT! We enjoyed all the shows...... The Zaandam Singers and Dancers were GREAT.... they worked very hard.... non-stop for 2 EXCELLENT shows... They had a Magic Show which was great.... husband and wife team...... They also had a singer - ?? Tanner - he was GREAT.... He did a lot of Neil Diamond, Engelbert Humperdink (sp), Tom Jones, etc type of music - He had everyone clapping, tapping, singing,,,, just a all around wonderful entertainer...... We loved all the shows!

MOVIES

We were very happy with the movies - we saw Terminal, Twisted, De-Lovely, and Around the World in 80 Days.......

One of the things that made the movies so nice was the JAVA CAFE right outside the door..... we always got a double cappachino and cookie before entering the Wajang Theater...... We really, really, really enjoyed the JAVA Cafe - being the caffiene addict that I am.....

PORTS OF CALL

Cozumel - was very nice.... I went on the Tulum Ruin tour.... I really liked it.... amazing..... Tulum is on the ocean.... The architecture, science, and astrology - very amazing..... I can't say that I liked it as much - once I realized the ruins were used as "human sacrifice area" I am glad I went....though....

Jamaica - I went on a tour that took you to a plantation and then to Dunn River Falls....... It was nice..... I have to confess - I started out climbing the falls - and got too nervous - and backed out...... I was afraid that I would fall and break a leg....... So - I guess - just call me "chicken" instead of avlski. I took lots of photos.... but I can never say that "I climbed the falls!" oh well......

Half Moon Cay

Spectacular - Beautiful - problem - too short of a time there.... we were able to get off Zaandam at 0800 - and had to return by 1230...... way too short to enjoy such a beautiful island.......

I have to sign off now.... but if anyone has any questions - I will try to answer !! Take care, Have a nice day! avlski

Half Moon Cay

Spectacular - Beautiful - problem - too short of a time there.... we were able to get off Zaandam at 0800 - and had to return by 1230...... way too short to enjoy such a beautiful island.......

I have to sign off now.... but if anyone has any questions - I will try to answer !! Take care, Have a nice day! avlski

Thanks for the fabulous, lengthy review. It sounds as if the trip was in the "perfect" category! Good for you and your group!

I am quite interested to know if the cabanas on HMC are opened for business. Did you happen to notice? I have rented the orange cabana for week after next and was curious.

Thanks again for the great report. So glad you had a wonderful time.

Dee

Thanks for the review and I`m so glad you enjoyed the Zaandam. We will be sailing her for the 5th and 6th times in December. A couple of questions, do you have the names of the groups playing in both the Ocean bar, and Crows nest? Also, can you look in your bulletins (if you kept them) and tell me the names of the Hotel Manager and Food and Beverage manager. Thanks for any answers you have for me......jean :cool:

You are the only person that I've heard from that had such a positive time on the exact same cruise as me. It's good to see the variety... unfortuately I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

mb87- It is amazing how people can experience such a different cruise in terms of satisfaction on the same cruise. I am sorry if you were less than thrilled about your cruise.:o

avlski- Great to hear that you had a fabulous vacation! Sometimes a cruise just clicks and it sure sounds like yours did:) :cool:

avlski .... So glad you had such a wonderful time on your cruise! The fun you had and the excitement of it all really shows it your review. Makes me want to be on a cruise ship right this minute! :p

Would also love to know about the cabana situation at HMC when you have a minute.

Thanks again for the great review!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thank you for the great review. You described it exactly as we remember it from a year ago for us. We had an outside cabin just down the hall from you. We also enjoyed Paul Tanner, he was great.

I was on the Zaandam last May in Alaska, and also loved it! It was my first HAL cruise and will definetely not be the last. The rooms were much bigger than Celebrity and there was space for the luggage. The bathroom was also very large. :)

I very much appreciated your review as DH and I are sailing on the Zaandam on Nov. 20th and this will be our 8th cruise, but first on HAL. I was wondering when the lobster dinner is (you said Thursday) and we have been debating when to make a reservation for the Pinnacle Grill....don't want to miss the lobster! Do they show movies in the Wajang Theatre only in the evenings, or during daytime, too? Interesting about the formal nights.....I read a review on another message board from someone who just returned from the Zaandam and he said the dress code was not enforced on formal nights and there were even people in shorts and collarless shirts on casual nights. We always dress up for the formal nights, with DH in a tux, although I don't wear a gown. Our social life is so casual nowadays it's fun to dress up on the cruises.

DJP - I'm not sure if everyone was strict on the dress code. Our friend's luggage arrived late on Saturday and they got kicked out of the dining room for wearing shorts. But at formal night I did see people without coats... I'm not sure if that's because they took it off or if they didn't wear them. As for the lobster, I've been on several cruises prior to this one and I found the lobsters, although incredibly small, very tasty. Usually when they do mass steaming some lobsters tend to be a little rubbery or over seasoned. These lobsters were actually very tender to cut with just a fork and perfectly seasoned.. just a wee small and by the second seating GONE....they ran out. mb87

• 4 weeks later...

I also was on this cruise, and have to say that it was the worst cruise I have experienced...(aside from being the only single female on board under 40, I believe)...average age was 75! ..the entertainment was very amateurish, if you were able to get a seat...food average and limited selection, especially at breakfast and lunch..

The only positive thing I can say is the outside balcony cabin...very nice and spacious.

Staff were standoffish and noone even really talked to me....

All entertainment catered to the older age group...(actually Paul Tanner was very good, and also young!) There were daily calls on the overhead speaker, for bingo!! yikes!

So all in all, unless you are over 70, then I would not recommend this cruise...

I shall wait another 35 years util I go with HAL again!

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your cruise. It is amazing to me that you don't care for the older passengers. My husband and I have been traveling on HAL since our early thirties and we find the older crowd fun, knowledgeable and civilized. We went on one Carnival cruise and we have never seen so many drunken passengers in our life. You couldn't even sit by the pool because they were shaking up champagne bottles and shooting the contents at everyone. Different strokes for different folks!

May I suggest Celebrity. I traveled solo in June and August and HAL, although both cruises wonderful for me, I noticed that the crew had a bit of a hard time accepting that I was traveling solo...perhaps a culture difference. I am 42. When I cruised solo on Celebrity earlier this month, it did not seem perplexing to the crew, but very natural when I went to the dining room, etc alone. Also, the crew was very friendly towards me. I am sorry you had a bad experience.

Marie

It`s a bit hard for me to conceive that you had such a bad cruise on the Zaandam. we have sailed her 4 times and will be onboard for two more sailings in December. The current crew were extremely friendly to us in May. Of course everyone has different expectations of things on a cruise, but we enjoyed the Zaandam immensely...jean :cool:

Please don't misunderstand...absolutely, I have no adverse feelings towards the older generation, my gosh, they can teach me a thing or two for sure!

I just found it very very difficult to be alone seeing lots of couples, groups having so much fun, and I had noone of my own age group to talk to at any time...even the older folks had their own groups of friends etc, so I kinda felt "invisible" most of the time, sadly....

If the entertainment were more to my liking or there had been fun stuff to get involved in, it would have been easier maybe to meet people.

Please don't misunderstand...absolutely, I have no adverse feelings towards the older generation, my gosh, they can teach me a thing or two for sure!

I just found it very very difficult to be alone seeing lots of couples, groups having so much fun, and I had noone of my own age group to talk to at any time...even the older folks had their own groups of friends etc, so I kinda felt "invisible" most of the time, sadly....

If the entertainment were more to my liking or there had been fun stuff to get involved in, it would have been easier maybe to meet people.

Did they sit you with other solo cruisers in the dining room? On both HAL cruises I was fortunate to have other solo cruisers assigned to my table. It greatly enhanced my trip, as we ended up doing things together.

Marie

Hi Marie, no, I was a table for 2!

I am planning on going on Carnival again..we shall see.... it is always difficult going alone I think, but usually when I have travelled overseas alone I always meet many interesting people.

I know Celebrity very well, worked for them once...awesome cruise line...they are somewhat more expensive than Ccarnival, so I guess I need to start saving again!

Archived