Mariner - hate to see you leave

Just off my 3rd Mariner cruise this past Sunday. She looked as good as the first time we sailed her four years ago. You West Coasties are going to love her. Don't miss the artwork throughout the ship. It's fabulous.

Embarkation was a breeze, but disappointed to see that the port now has luggage carousels when we disembarked. That process seemed to take longer to me than placing them on the floor according to bag tag color.

If Earl Turner is ever appearing on your ship, you must see him. He not only has a great voice, he brings energy and fun to the whole theater. Wish the show had been longer.

Handwipes were available everywhere. Ice cream or frozen yogurt (not sure which it was) was offered everyday on the pool deck. Chocolates were on the pillows at night. One Indian dish was at the bottom of the menu every night in the dining room. No $14.95 steak was shown. I was pleased to see some new items since our January cruise.

In the photo gallery all of our photos were placed in folders with our cabin number on the outside. At first, I thought I wouldn't like this idea because we always enjoyed the hunt. It was a competition between DH and I to see which one of us would find them first (we're easily entertained:D ), but this new system worked beautifully.

I know how you feel. Last week was my first trip on the Mariner and I'm just sick they are sending her West. I sent an email to my DSM begging her to beg the powers that be in Miami to leave her there and send the Freedom west :) obviously its a futile attempt but you never know if you don't ask, right?

Isn't the Freedom replacing the Mariner at Canaveral a good thing?

I was going to Western out of Canaveral, so if the Mariner stayed, I would have been on her, but now it's the Freedom. From what I read, the Freedom is the Mariner that went through a bit of a growth spurt during construction :)

I've heard excellent things about both ships, and I do understand the sentiment towards a specific ship. I can understand that you would miss her...

Isn't the Freedom replacing the Mariner at Canaveral a good thing?

We too just got off the Mariner on Sunday. We have been on the Freedom (2 yrs ago) as well as all of the other Voyager class ships. IMHO Captains Johnny and Peir (sp?) make the Mariner the pick of the litter. Quality comes from the top and filters down to all levels of staffing. Everything was exceptional (except the thin orange juice in MDR - and we were able to mention this to one of the tall white hats). Overall, the food, service, cleanliness et al are better on the Mariner than any of the others.

Yes, we are looking forward to having the Freedom in PC. I hate driving 4+ hours to FLL or MIA (only 1hr 45min to Canaveral) and look forward to getting the cantilevered jucuzzis nearby. We will book the FOS twice next year but will sorely miss the Mariner.

Toddcan

Let me tell you I thought exactly the same thing. I have been on 29 cruises with RCI and never thought much about the Capt until I kept hearing how wonderful Capt Johnny was and I thought oh no big deal right?

Well Capt Johnny does make a difference. It has to be his attitude because it shows in his crew. I have never had a crew like this before. Did not meet one crew member who didn't speak and smile at us the whole week. It was just different its hard to explain.

I also got off of the Mariner Sunday after two weeks on her.

I had never sailed the Mariner before but I had heard a lot about "Captain Johnny" and what a great ship and crew it was from CC friends. They were 100% correct.

I really had no complaints at all except the usual crowded elevators at certain times. (Yes, we are old and needed them for medical reasons.) ;)

I can't wait for the ship to come our way to sail her again. :D

batoryfirst is so right about:

:If Earl Turner is ever appearing on your ship, you must see him. He not only has a great voice, he brings energy and fun to the whole theater. Wish the show had been longer.

We just got off the Mariner Sunday also. We absolutely had the best cruise ever. Love the ship, crew and Captain Johnny. I had read great things about Captain Johnny, and believe me, they are true. We will miss having the Mariner near us. Those of you living in California are getting a great ship and Captain and crew.

It was nice meeting you and your husband Alexis. I told Gordon hello for you. Maybe we will meet again some day.

I know how you feel. Last week was my first trip on the Mariner and I'm just sick they are sending her West.

Sorry you're losing her but we NEED more ships sailing from the West Coast. We promise to take good care of her and you can come visit anytime. ;)

Katink

Toddcan

Let me tell you I thought exactly the same thing. I have been on 29 cruises with RCI and never thought much about the Capt until I kept hearing how wonderful Capt Johnny was and I thought oh no big deal right?

Well Capt Johnny does make a difference. It has to be his attitude because it shows in his crew. I have never had a crew like this before. Did not meet one crew member who didn't speak and smile at us the whole week. It was just different its hard to explain.

I absolutely agree with you! Capt Johnny really made the trip for us back in May, and I am sure going to miss him and the Mariner. He was really personable, and seemed to love being out with us "common folks".

I'm looking forward to going on FOS this coming May 10th, but I'll always have a soft spot for Mariner. Maybe I'll win the lotto some day and do that Mexican Rivieria... ;)

Tagsalong, are you from Tampa Bay? Because that's exactly how long it takes us to get there too!

mary b ;)

I know how you feel. Last week was my first trip on the Mariner and I'm just sick they are sending her West. I sent an email to my DSM begging her to beg the powers that be in Miami to leave her there and send the Freedom west :) obviously its a futile attempt but you never know if you don't ask, right?

Please don't feel sad:( We here out West promise to take good care of her & love her as you all do:o I have to say, it's about time a classy ship sets sail out of Southern Calif. for Mexico itineraries!

We are sooooooo looking foreward to our mariner cruise in May!

"Good morning, good morning, good morning!" We are so going to miss Captain Johnny's first message of the day as well as his famous (?) Chinese proverbs each day. Captain Johnny is the heart of the Mariner and sets the tone of the entire ship. Those of you on the west coast are getting a wonderful ship with a wonderful captain and crew. Take good care of her!

We just got off the Mariner Sunday also. We absolutely had the best cruise ever. Love the ship, crew and Captain Johnny. I had read great things about Captain Johnny, and believe me, they are true. We will miss having the Mariner near us. Those of you living in California are getting a great ship and Captain and crew.

It was nice meeting you and your husband Alexis. I told Gordon hello for you. Maybe we will meet again some day.

You have no idea what a pleasant surprise it was for me to think how easy you found me. I was really glad to meet you also.

I have been trying to find a way to break into the main boards for Gordon, but that is not easy on here.

Maybe he will see this thread and read it. I want him to know what a nice sister he has to go out of her way to look for me to say "Hello" and chat. And more than once. To think she found me on a tender at the beginning of the week.

I too hope we meet again.

Thanks Gordon for tipping her off. ;)

Alexis

I have cruised Carnival 9 times and RCCL only once on the Monarch. We had the New Splendor booked for April but after hearing all of you great RCCL people rave about the Mariner we cancelled our Carnival booking and are cruising on the Mariner. I am sooooo excited as I continually read how well it is is loved and how awesome the Capt. is. RCCL may well have a convert after this!:p

We will be platinum with Carnival after our New Years cruise. So will have those perk. May have to start working on them on Rccl now!

Happy Cruising!

Donna

Our first cruise was on the Mariner, spring break 04. We knew by the 2nd day that it was our best vacation ever. We have done 3 other spring break cruises, all on the Mariner. I have recently sailed on the Navigator, a sister ship, and it just didn't feel right. I wish the Mariner was staying on the east coast. I am sure, within a few years, that we will be booking another cruise on her again. I have never been to California before, so it will be a different crowd on the ship, should be fun.

I have cruised Carnival 9 times and RCCL only once on the Monarch. We had the New Splendor booked for April but after hearing all of you great RCCL people rave about the Mariner we cancelled our Carnival booking and are cruising on the Mariner. I am sooooo excited as I continually read how well it is is loved and how awesome the Capt. is. RCCL may well have a convert after this!:p

We will be platinum with Carnival after our New Years cruise. So will have those perk. May have to start working on them on Rccl now!

Happy Cruising!

Donna

We will be on her in May. California was long over due for a ship like that...........can't wait!!!!

Sorry you're losing her but we NEED more ships sailing from the West Coast.

I was looking at the deeply discounted fares on Vision out of Los Angeles - $379 for a 7-night cruise. Do you need more ships if Royal is having trouble selling out the cruises on a Vision class? I'm not criticizing, but it looks like you've already met critical mass on the west coast.

I have to say being a west coast girl (who loves the caribbean), I really have not felt the urge to hit the Mexican Riviera route again since being on the Vision a few years back (which was a very nice ship and great cruise). Especially since we were on the Serenade last year. With that said, it is getting harder and more expensive to fly these days. Sometimes that isnt as appealing as just getting on a ship 15 mins from your house. I was looking into alternatives and when I saw the Mariner coming over to the west coast I was like THANK HEAVEN! Voyager class is the only class of ships we havent been on yet and since we travel with kids we are really looking forward to it! I am already booked for April! :)

Sorry to those of you in Florida - but you have so many more alternatives than we have here.

We too have been to the Caribbean for land and cruise vacations a dozen times.....We have never had the desire to sail down to Mexico....the Mariner has changed all of that.... We live four hours north of where the Mariner will be calling home.

If the ports are not what we expect...I know we will have a great time back on ship...We've sailed on the AOS and had the best time of ourlives....I'm sure the Mariner will top that...

Angela happy cruiser patiently waiting for the Mariner..

You have no idea what a pleasant surprise it was for me to think how easy you found me. I was really glad to meet you also.

I have been trying to find a way to break into the main boards for Gordon, but that is not easy on here.

Maybe he will see this thread and read it. I want him to know what a nice sister he has to go out of her way to look for me to say "Hello" and chat. And more than once. To think she found me on a tender at the beginning of the week.

I too hope we meet again.

Thanks Gordon for tipping her off. ;)

Alexis

Hey Alexis. Hope that you're feeling better. Glad that you and Janet were able to meet. Sounds like everyone enjoyed the Mariner. Maybe one day I will make it out west to try it out. :)

I will miss the Monarch as much as you will miss the Mariner!!

I just booked Mariner last week, for April.....booked only for the ship basically....... the Mexican Riviera route does not thrill me.

Great ship and staff and I can't wait to sail her again :)

We are excited about both the FOS change and the Mariner change.

Being from Northern California we travel to Orlando frequently and have done cruises out of SoCal before. Carnival has decent ships in SoCal but nothing like the Mariner.

The moment we found out about the Mariner in SoCal we booked a spring break trip on her for next April to go with our already booked November trip on the FOS out of Orlando.

We really wanted to do the FOS or Liberty next year and the change to Orlando put it over the top for us. The main thing is getting to Orlando is way easier and less expensive than trying to get to Miami from Sacramento.

I have no idea about the financial ramifications for these moves for RCL. However, What I do know is they earned a first time customer in my family by thinking out of the box and trying something new.

Was on the Mariner Jan 08. Thought she was great.

We live in Az and are booked on her for her Inaugural LA in Feb.

We appreciate she is coming to the West Coast.

I may be going to the MR more than I desire just for the savings in driving to LA and cruising on a ship her size.

Laura

Archived