Will I be overdressed if I wear a tux?

cruise Jack

I am wondering how many people still wear tuxes on Princess. We are considering the Crown for our next cruise. How many still don a tux for the formal night?

Most don't seem to be too dressy on Princess, you may want to try Celebrity if you want to see a dining room filled with mostly tux wearers.

No, you won't be overdressed or feel out of place. Most people honor the dress code and want to look good on formal night. I'm a shorts and T-shirt kind of guy , but I wore a tux on our last cruise and I'll be wearing a tux next month on Royal Princess ( three formal nights...sheesh). I don't bring a tux with me; I rent the one out of the cruise answer book. It's about $100,and delivered to my stateroom before the cruise starts.

I always take my tux on a cruise. No, you will not be overdressed on a Princess cruise. From observation, I would estimate that 40% or more of the men are in tuxes, another 30 to 40 are in dark business suits and the rest are in blazers, short jackets and other types of dress.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried there would be people in t-shirts and jeans.

LOL:D THERE'S ALWAYS ONE!!! Some people still seem to think jeans and a checkered shirt are okay for a wedding!!!:eek: I'm sure you'll fit in well with a tux. Enjoy the cruise....

I would wear mine,however i gained 10 inches in the waist in 15 years ,partly from cruises(food)and it would not look quite right anymore,so i wear a new dark suit.:D I do remember 18 years ago at the captains table on a very formal night a man possibly in his eighties wearing an older sweater(pilled)and a shirt that did look quite wrinkled.He must have been someone who cruised a long time and they accepted him as is!Money talks possibly?

on the grand, there were maybe 10% of the guys in tuxes (myself included). i did not feel overdressed, however. it was formal night, afterall. the rest were underdressed. the cruiselines have dumbed-down formal night in favor of the all-mighty dollar.

i'm trying to decide if i will on the pacific princess or not. while i own my tux, i now end up renting due to the lugggage surcharges. i see the rental company has raised their prices, too.

We have found that there is a general rule that applies to all the mass-market cruise lines. The longer the cruise, the better dressed are the passengers. If you take an 18 day Princess cruise, you will probably find that more than half the men wear tuxes. Take a 7 day cruise and its probably a third. Personally, since I feel most comfortable wearing a jacket and tie on formal nights, I always take my tux. Its really not any different than taking a suit or sport jacket, so why not wear a tux. On the other hand, if I did not own a tux I would probably just wear a suit and save the money many spend on a rental.

Hank

We have found that there is a general rule that applies to all the mass-market cruise lines. The longer the cruise, the better dressed are the passengers. If you take an 18 day Princess cruise, you will probably find that more than half the men wear tuxes. Take a 7 day cruise and its probably a third. Personally, since I feel most comfortable wearing a jacket and tie on formal nights, I always take my tux. Its really not any different than taking a suit or sport jacket, so why not wear a tux. On the other hand, if I did not own a tux I would probably just wear a suit and save the money many spend on a rental.

Hank

Agree - same on the Diamond 16 nights.

I still pack my tuxedo (and white dinner jacket also) for Princess cruises.

Ditto this. Actually on our last cruise I even packed a suit and extra pr.pants (as sport coat) for a couple of other nights we were celebrating different occasions. Still didn't feel out of place. Of course it was before the surcharge for the extra bags.:)

Wear the tux if you have it and enjoy formal night. Don't worry about what other people think or do.:D

I always look forward to wearing my tux on the formal nights. And no, you won't be overdressed. You'll be properly dressed as will the majority of diners. We all get a kick out of these threads (pun intended) but IMO it's nice to know that most cruisers still know how to adhere to dress codes, and choose to conform.

I just got off the golden on wednesday on formal nights in the canilitto dinning room we, had about three passengers wearing tux's i was one of them the rest had jacket and tie one guy was let in wearing polo shirt and shorts. I wear a tux because i want to not because i have to. be one of the best dressed!

I have done the tux on my last 3 cruises. This next week I am skipping the routine and will be wearing a nice shirt and slacks. I will not feel out of place, nor should any one wearing a tux. A big ship with alot of places to hang out, no matter what you wear on formal nights, (except shorts and tees).

Archived