Will I be overdressed if I wear a tux?

cruise Jack

the cruiselines have dumbed-down formal night in favor of the all-mighty dollar.
I disagree as IMHO, it's the passengers who have dumbed down and the cruiselines have gone along with it. The dress code has nothing to do with the "all-mighty dollar" unless you consider that the cost of cruising has significantly dropped and you have people who would never have considered a cruise, nor could they afford it, before taking them.

My DH will be wearing his kilt!

On our last cruise there was a retired US Marine officer wearing his formal dress uniform, you would have thought he was a foreign dignity if you didn't know better. He and his wife were a CLASS ACT.

I am wondering how many people still wear tuxes on Princess. We are considering the Crown for our next cruise. How many still don a tux for the formal night?

You will be in good company. Quite a few men still wear them.....and they look wonderful. You will be admired. We gals love to see a guy in a tux!!:D

BTW, my grandson has been cruising with me once a year since he was 8 years old. He's 17 this year and we are headed out on January 3rd. He has always worn a tux.......and looks good in it.

He was so cute in one when he was little.....now, he's gorgeous!!:p

My DH will be wearing his kilt!

I've cruised with my brother and his wife a coupla times. Brother wears a western cut tuxedo (he's from Arizona, what can I say), and our Tartan clipped to his shoulder by a beautiful Plaid Brooch. He looks great!

He has a kilt but it is not a dress kilt. His wife won't let him wear it on a ship....she says it's more appropriate for a ceili...not at a formal affair.:D

Thanks for the replies. I was worried there would be people in t-shirts and jeans.

Most people wear either the dark suit or the tux. You will see some people (mostly kids) with dress shirts and ties without a jacket but I have not seen t-shirts and jeans in the dining room on formal nights.

I've cruised with my brother and his wife a coupla times. Brother wears a western cut tuxedo (he's from Arizona' date=' what can I say), and our Tartan clipped to his shoulder by a beautiful Plaid Brooch. He looks great!

He has a kilt but it is not a dress kilt. His wife won't let him wear it on a ship....she says it's more appropriate for a ceili...not at a formal affair.:D[/quote']

What is a western cut tux?

Here in Scotland kilts are worn for many occasions especially weddings. They are worn at some ceilidhs but not always. It's great to see so many young folk wearing a kilt. My SIL wore a kilt to his wedding on the Sea Princess. When DH takes his kilt outfit on a cruise he has to have a replica sgian dubh as the real one is considered a "dangerous weapon":rolleyes:

What is a western cut tux?

A true western cut tux will have yoke stitching on the front and back and sometimes a slightly trimmer waist on the jacket. Another popular option here in the west is a tux jacket with pleated shirt and bow tie or bolo tie and jeans (black is preferred) and western boots. I have chosen that look for many of our dress up affairs here in Sedona.

Take the tux!

One of the enjoyable experiences of a cruise is to dress for dinner. If I don't wear a tux I have my special black evening/cocktail suit and wear a standard tie. I expect this is more of a fashion choice rather than being less formal. Having said that I do enjoy the more casual approach that cruising has taken, however many people take that approach a little too far. Shorts & t shirts are nice at the buffet......:D

Anthony

We are driving from our Ruby cruise that ended today... and no! you won't be overdressed. We've seen people in tuxes not only on formal nights but on casual. Overall there were more people in tuxes than on Celebrity! Many guests are from Europe.. and especially from UK. We've even seen some people in suites during disembarkation.

Oh, and there were no jeans in dining rooms except some nicer ones on the very last night.

We are driving from our Ruby cruise that ended today... and no! you won't be overdressed. We've seen people in tuxes not only on formal nights but on casual. Overall there were more people in tuxes than on Celebrity! Many guests are from Europe.. and especially from UK. We've even seen some people in suites during disembarkation.

Oh, and there were no jeans in dining rooms except some nicer ones on the very last night.

People dress for dinner in Europe, no surprise there. Our Med. cruise in Oct. only 1/6 were American very formal on formal nights.

Not only does it depend on the number of days, itinerary and pax mix plays a roll.

There is something about a man in a TUX;)

For my 50th birthday, my gift was a Photo of my DH and 3 sons 20,18 and 15.......all in Tuxes.

Last Janurary we took a 3 day family cruise...not many tuxes but "my men" really loved looking great............

Your DH and sons obviously LOVE their mother. I agree men look quite special in a tux, a cut above the rest.

Congratulations

Anthony

Your DH and sons obviously LOVE their mother. I agree men look quite special in a tux, a cut above the rest.

Congratulations

Anthony

How nice of you to say that......I just celebrated my 51st yesterday and as it worked out everyone was free of commitments so we spent the day together, I should have insistd upon the tuxes;)

Enjoy

I do believe that people should "dress up" on formal night ... but, this thread would make a newbie feel like most men wear tuxes and that is not correct. If you wear a tux you will definitely not feel overdressed, but you will be in a small minority. Most men wear suits ... some dark sport coats (yes ... I know that isn't what "formal" means!).

My DH has a dark grayish olive green suit that he is planning on wearing. It isn't the traditional black. Would that be appropriate on formal nights?

Thanks,

Teresa

Yes, your husband's dark suit would be an appropriate option on formal nights.

Archived