LIVE From The Eurodam 2WK Holiday Cruise ...Brought To You By LAFFNVEGAS

LAFFNVEGAS

And here's my answer. Wow, that's something I've never heard of. So is this something the cab companies have their cab drivers do, or is this something the cab drivers do to make "extra" money?

A "Trunk Fee" - Me thinks there's a fast one being pulled on cruise ship pax between FLL, Port Everglades and back:cool:

Monday December 22nd, 2008

Greetings from The Warm Calm Seas of the Caribbean as we watch the CNN weather and see al the extreme cold winter snowy weather through out the U.S.

Here on the MS Eurodam it was another relaxing wonderful day. Last week on Monday I awoke early to see us dock in Grand Turk but since I had done that last week and also knew we had very calm seas last night I was pretty positive that Captain Mercer would not have a problem getting us docked in Grand Turk we slept in and sure enough when I awoke at about 7:50 we were docked and it was looking like a beautiful day. I stepped out on to the verandah and it felt a lot warmer than the week before. So Tom and I go up and made out way to the Lido for yet another very good omelet, then went back to the cabin grabbed our books and I got into my swim suit and back to the beach we headed. There are quite a few palm trees at the Cruise Center Beach area so it is easy to grab a lounger that is not entirely out in the sun.

Now Grand Turk is one of those short port stops and all aboard is 1:30 but it does make it nice for relaxing and reading. I play some in the water and did quite a bit of reading. We saw that the ship hosted a little Christmas Party for some of the school children of Grand Turk. We watched them leave all carrying little presents. At about 12 we noticed that some dark clouds were forming and had already planned to pack up our items at about 12:30, well at about 12:10 we felt a couple of drops of rain and I looked at Tom and said we might as well packed it up and head back to the ship. Before I could finish that sentence the skies opened up and it was a down pour. It was actually kind of fun with getting totally soaked from the rain because it was warm and since we were already in swim suits getting wet was not really a problem. We did wait a few minutes in the shops area and then decided to head back to the ship and just when the rain stopped.

Once back on board we both showered and then headed up to the Lido for lunch. We both grabbed a piece of pizza, then Tom went and had a sandwich while made my self a good salad. After lunch we decided to go to deck 3 Upper Promenade Deck to go out on the Deck and find a comfy lounge chair to watch us sail away from Grand Turk. We stayed out there till we felt it was getting too windy then decided to head up to the Silk Den. Silk Den in the afternoon is an almost forgotten area. It was quiet for most of the time we were up there we were the only ones there so it felt like our own private den with a fantastic view.

Last night I mentioned that there was a slight difference between last weeks dinner menu on Sunday. Monday night’s menu was identical to last week which was good because I had exactly the same. The Orange Roughy was excellent and Tom had the Short Ribs. Our Wine Steward Ronald served us a wonderful tasting Riesling wine, of course I had t once again top of the great meal with the Key Lime Pie and a tasty cup of coffee.

After dinner we decided to people watch in the Ocean Bar till it was time to go to the 8 PM show of Justin Miller who is the Guitarist. I decided with the numerous drinks I had last night today I limited the drinks to just the wine at dinner. After the show we decided to call it a night which has brought me to what I am now doing and that is writing today’s report.

Tomorrow we are in Roadtown, Tortola which is part of the British Virgin Islands. This is actually a port we have not been to before so are looking forward to checking it out. We do not arrive till close to 1 PM but were told that it is very scenic sailing between the Virgin Islands and the Deck 5 Bow will be open starting at about 10:30 tomorrow so we plan to go out to view the Islands as we pass by. We are expecting the weather to be nice, thankfully it is drastically different than last week when it was much cooler and windy the gale force winds and the rough seas. This week really does feel like a totally different cruise. But with all of our favorite crew still sailing with us.

The Eurodam could easily turn into being our favorite ship.:D She has so much to offer that a 7 day cruise is really not enough time to really enjoy everything.

Since I am getting into a really good part of the newest Sandra Brown novel and want to finish it so I can start reading a Holiday Janet Evanovich book I also brought with me I will close for the night.

Signing off from the Caribbean on the Beautiful MS Eurodam

Oh, and as an aside, for those of you who noticed the block on my site by google, it's been lifted. The attack my site suffered has been resolved, and the IP of the attacker is being traced. Thanks for the concern.

I wondered about what was going on with your site. I went to look at the "breakfast menu door card" you posted and it popped up that it was blocked. I looked anyway because I know it wasn't a problem site. I am glad you have it fixed. I've enjoyed looking at your pics through the years. :)

I stayed at the Embassy Suites on 10/31, precruise on the Eurodam. My accommodations were fine and in very good condition. Maybe I got one of the refurbished rooms? Dunno... The hotel on a whole was very clean and I did not notice anything out of order. The pool area is very nice and the bar that adjoins it was fun the night I was there.

My only complaint was with the concierge. I've never encountered such an aloof, unknowledgeable and unprofessional concierge.

Diane

Thank you for this information. I am going to make sure and ask if we can get one of the refurbished rooms. The picture of the sheet was awful. We'll stay away from the concierge.

A "Trunk Fee" - Me thinks there's a fast one being pulled on cruise ship pax between FLL, Port Everglades and back:cool:

Yeah, it does seem that way. From a "broken" meter, to a trunk fee. Hmmm...I told hubby we have to watch these guys. And wasn't it you that mentioned the cab drivers drive right past the first exit and go on to the one that will take longer (when going to the port)?

Last week on Monday I awoke early to see us dock in Grand Turk but since I had done that last week and also knew we had very calm seas last night I was pretty positive that Captain Mercer would not have a problem getting us docked in Grand Turk we slept in and sure enough when I awoke at about 7:50 we were docked and it was looking like a beautiful day.

I'm always amazed to wake up (we're not early risers) and find ourselves docked. I don't recall ever being woken up by this process. I do remember when we were leaving Jamaica, a storm had blown over the mountains. Walking down the hallway was similar to walking in one of those carnival fun-houses. We were tossed from side to side! The captain was high-tailing it out of there as fast as he could.

Thanks for taking the time to do a daily report for us here at CC. I've enjoyed reading your posts. :)

Lisa, I read your posts tonight. I was on the Oosterdam last week and so I needed to catch up on your live post. Your cheery news from the Eurodam is so uplifting. The HAL service is amazing and DH and I will be looking forward to cruising on another dam ship next year. Congrats on the fantastic upgrade.

Yeah, it does seem that way. From a "broken" meter, to a trunk fee. Hmmm...I told hubby we have to watch these guys. And wasn't it you that mentioned the cab drivers drive right past the first exit and go on to the one that will take longer (when going to the port)?

Yep - watch for the first elevated "Port Everglades" sign on Federal Hwy and watch 'em go right by it

OMG what next, you Americans sure make life a tad difficult for the rest of us :D

Love you John,you been working to hard, you have been missing for a day or two :D

Merry Christmas love from Kia Ora kid down-under xox

OMG what next, you Americans sure make life a tad difficult for the rest of us :D

Love you John,you been working to hard, you have been missing for a day or two :D

Merry Christmas love from Kia Ora kid down-under xox

Merry Christmas Kiwi Lady!;)

Hi Lisa ~

I am SO enjoying your posts ... you are from the Las Vegas area which I enjoy, you read Sandra Brown and Janet Evanovich who are my favorite authors and you love to cruise on HAL which is my all time favorite thing on earth! My husand might confuse us ...

I hope you continue to have a wonderful vacation. My next HAL cruise is not until September. It seems like forever.

Kathy

After dinner Tom and I decided to go to the Captain’s Toast, since it was one of my favorite Captains, Captain Mercer doing this I thought we should attend and then stay for the show.

interesting and in depth accounting .. great job Lisa

but, how is it that Captain Mercer who was "your favorite captain" in Post #67 dropped down into second place by Post #99 since he is now "one of" your favorites? :D

any chance you'll think about becoming 2nd Godmother of Eurodam or will that still be Oosterdam?

hope you continue to enjoy the cruise

look forward to seeing your posts over the holidays

Lisa,

As I look out my window this morning from the 20th floor of MGM I see snowflakes falling - won't last long like last week...but thought you may want to know what is going on back home. New Encore resort opened last night with hundreds in line to get in. We didn't wait it out and had dinner at Palazzo and back to MGM.

Stay warm!

OMG what next, you Americans sure make life a tad difficult for the rest of us

That's the truth! Heck, I live here and I can't even keep up with all this. But at the top of my "list" of things to remember is I can write in chocolate croissants on the breakfast room service menu. lol That's the only thing I really want to remember. :)

I posted about the "trunk fee" When we arrived and went to hotel, I noticed an extra $2 on the meter. I asked what this was for and he stated it was the trunk fee. On the way back to airport we used express baggage service so we didn't have items to put in trunk so no $2 extra fee. They also charge this in NY taxis now.

I posted about the "trunk fee" When we arrived and went to hotel, I noticed an extra $2 on the meter. I asked what this was for and he stated it was the trunk fee. On the way back to airport we used express baggage service so we didn't have items to put in trunk so no $2 extra fee. They also charge this in NY taxis now.

I'd never heard of such a thing until you posted this information. So if you don't need the trunk, you don't pay this fee? Strange. Personally, I'd deduct that amount from the tip unless there's a real good reason they are doing this.

Tuesday December 23rd, 2008

Greetings from Road Town Tortola BVI

This has been a very full day which is also the way I feel after having just dined in the Pinnacle but I will tell you about that in a bit I will start from the beginning of the day.

Last night we lost an hour of sleep but we still woke up at about 8:00 AM but did not actually get up till 8:30, once we were showered and ready we headed to the Lido where this morn I thought I would have one of those Eggs Benedict specials like I had on the Oosterdam. On the Oosterdam they make an Italian one with Marinara and lots of mozzarella cheese well unfortunately they did not have the mozzarella cheese out there and by the time he found some the egg was already cold and the cheese really did not melt…. Oh well but those little waffles are really tasty too.

After breakfast we wanted to see and hear about sailing thru the Narrows in the Virgin Islands. We started out in the Crow’s Nest but taking pictures is not always ideal in the CN because of the glass reflection so I wanted us to head down to the deck 5 Bow. We did but it was so very windy but I was able to capture many good pictures. We also went up to deck 6 on the Balcony over hang to the bow. It felt like a very warm Glacier viewing in Alaska. We arrived on time into Road Town just before 1. Because we are aft port side we had a nice view and I was able to enjoy sitting out on the verandah getting a little sun and finish reading my book. About 1:15 we decided to head up to the Lido and grab a light lunch since in the evening we would be going to the Pinnacle. We had no plans in Road Town but thought we would just get off the ship and see what there was since we had never been here before we ended up doing something we rarely ever do but we did one of the private tours that were being sold at the pier. Basically we ended up with what HAL sells as their Tortola Highlights for $39 PP we did the same exact thing for $20 PP we spent 3 hours with about 17 others viewing the island and seeing the amazing views. I was fortunate that while yes the roads are very steep they are not overly winding so I never felt motion sick. Although it definitely was an experience. There were two other ships in port a MSC and Aida Avida (at least that is what I think it was) it looks like an older NCL ship.

We got back to the ship at about 5:15 and we are walking to the gangway and what should happen but we felt a couple of rain drops well just like yesterday with in seconds it was a sudden down pour. Caribbean rains definitely do not give you much warning.

Tonight was our 2nd time to try the Eurodam Pinnacle for dinner I will say that the service had improved over last week. They were extremely attentive and with everyone calling us by our name. If you remember I mentioned that I was not overly thrilled with a few things about the Pinnacle. Thankfully the service was greatly improved. Tonight one of our Bar Staff friends Paulyn waited on us so that was great. But the food is just fair. I cannot quite figure out why the Pinnacles on the ship vary from ship to ship and is never very consistent. Our last cruise on the Oosterdam the Pinnacle was one of the best and we actually ate there twice in 7 days. This time like I mentioned last week I chalked it up to my having a slight head cold. This week I feel great and it was just OK Now do not take this totally wrong it was not bad but it was not fantastic. Maybe part of the problem is the food in the Main Dining Room is fantastic. Since I did not care for the Lobster Bisque last week I ordered the French Onion Soup and it hardly had any cheese and was not really as good as the main dining room. What I really miss is the Pear and walnut salad they use to have. I had the boneless rib eye and Tom ordered the large Porter House. Tom ended up eating ½ of my steak as well. Now last week I ordered that Steak Diane Med. Rare and it was very rare so this time I ordered it Med. And it was more med. Well. Tom had ordered his Med. Rare and it was very rare. Which is why I say not consistent. The quality of the steak was good which was good. Now one of the items I had been very interested in was the Lobster Mac and Cheese. So I asked if there was a way to sample it so to my surprise they brought me out a small dish. Sadly it was not at all what I was expecting and would have been sadly disappointed if I had ordered it. For dessert Tom had his usual Trio of Crème Brulee’ which based on how clean his dish was must have been very good and I decided to order one of the new desserts of the Chocolate Souffle. While it was tasty it did not have the WOW factor I had hoped it would. Since it is being served in the Pinnacle I actually had expected it to be drastically different than what is served in the Main Dining Room but it was really equally the same.

OK I did not want this to be a complaint post but I am just writing my opinion here. It is funny some Pinnacles have a WOW factor and others are just OK.

In many ways I am not impressed with the new additions to the Pinnacle menu and miss what was taken off.

OK on to other items. Tonight we are going to a late show of the comedian on board by the name of Chris Bliss which is rather short because it starts at 10:30, then immediately afterwards is the Indonesian Crew Show at 11:15. They are also holding the Lido Pool Party right now since we just sailed away from Tortola about 10 minutes ago.

Tomorrow Tom and I have an excursion booked in St Maarten that is the Explorer Cruise and Grand Island Drive. Tomorrow will be yet a very busy day into night with it being Christmas Eve. We have 6 PM reservations in the Tamarind, then from 7:30 to 8:15 is the VIP Party in the Crow’s Nest, then at 9:30 the ship is holding a Holiday Ball in the Queen’s Lounge, then at 11 PM is the Eurodam Holiday Choir which is 3 different Choirs, Filipino, Indonesian and the Officers, then they will all sing together. Then finally at midnight is Midnight Mass in the Main Stage.

We are very excited to be here for Christmas and look forward to seeing everything that will be happening.

This 2nd week is flying by so quickly but has been so very memorable especially with being with so many crew that we love.

Time to get this posted so…..

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Eurodam sailing in the Caribbean.

Thank you, Lisa, for the continued reports. I'm enjoying your trip.

I, too, did not find the Pinnacle on this ship to be as good as on the Rotterdam. I chalked it up to inexperience on the inaugural, but maybe that wasn't the problem.

Archived