New Pinnacle Menu -- In Depth

Krazy Kruizers

You can not make any reservations for a specific night with any free Pinnacle Dinners gifted to you by a TA until you are on the ship.

You will get a gift card in your cabin indicating that your TA has given you a free dinner in the Pinnacle. This is when you can either call the Pinnacle or go down and see them to make the reservation.

When you go for that dinner you will need to turn over that card to the manager.

It was from HAL, no TA involved.

Oh dear, this looks like the menu we had recently on the Zuiderdam (6/2010) which was really awful. Everything we ordered from this menu was badly executed. It was such a disappointment. Maybe they are still in their learning curve if this is the "new" menu. Sorry folks but this was the one bad note on the entire cruise.

We ordered and found quite sub-standard: the lobster bisque, seafood appetizer plate, bone in ribeye, sirloin, peppercorn sauce, asparagus, baked alaska and the chocolate thing. All tasteless and poorly executed. The asparagus was beyond recognition as a vegetable.

Don't get your hopes up too much with this "new" menu.

• 7 months later...

We dined in Pinnacle on the Ryndam three times recently: 1 lunch, 2 dinner.

I would highly recommend the scallop creme brulee as an appetizer during lunch. That was an outstanding dish!

Our first dinner, DH and I both had the veal chop which was excellent. We finished the meal with vanilla souffles that were dense and flat instead of light and tall.

Our second dinner, DH had the porterhouse which was huge and tender. I had the lamb skewer, which was fatty and tough.

My biggest complaint about the second dinner was the lack of training on the part of the server. She didn't have a clue about the menu, the sauces, etc, and couldn't answer any questions about the food. Her service was inconsistent, lackluster and VERY slow. I feel confident that this is a training issue. It was as if this server had just been pulled from the Lido without benefit of any training.

Ricki

Hi Ricki - welcome back & thanks for resurrecting an always interesting thread :) I am really surprised at your waiter on your second night.

I always understood that the Pinnacle was something the good waiters aspired to get to. maybe things have changed?

glad you enjoyed part of it at least.

We dined in Pinnacle on the Ryndam three times recently: 1 lunch, 2 dinner.

I would highly recommend the scallop creme brulee as an appetizer during lunch. That was an outstanding dish!

Our first dinner, DH and I both had the veal chop which was excellent. We finished the meal with vanilla souffles that were dense and flat instead of light and tall.

Our second dinner, DH had the porterhouse which was huge and tender. I had the lamb skewer, which was fatty and tough.

My biggest complaint about the second dinner was the lack of training on the part of the server. She didn't have a clue about the menu, the sauces, etc, and couldn't answer any questions about the food. Her service was inconsistent, lackluster and VERY slow. I feel confident that this is a training issue. It was as if this server had just been pulled from the Lido without benefit of any training.

Ricki

sorry you had a bad experience the second night in the pinnacle

we ate quite a few times there out of 14 days on the ryndam and had excellent service

sounds like you got a new girl that hasn't had a lot of training yet

The last time I ran into an inexperienced server at PG like you did, I spoke to the dining room captain afterward. I explained my service issues and asked that on my next visit I would prefer to be served by someone else. My next visit was superb. I thanked the dining room captain on the way out and told him how pleased I was with the service. He apologized again and said my previous server was no longer serving at PG.

Well that is not what I wanted - someone demoted! I just thanked him but felt bad I had said anything to begin with. Guess who served me at breakfast in the MDR the next day? Awkward!

Ron

The last time I ran into an inexperienced server at PG like you did, I spoke to the dining room captain afterward. I explained my service issues and asked that on my next visit I would prefer to be served by someone else. My next visit was superb. I thanked the dining room captain on the way out and told him how pleased I was with the service. He apologized again and said my previous server was no longer serving at PG.

Well that is not what I wanted - someone demoted! I just thanked him but felt bad I had said anything to begin with. Guess who served me at breakfast in the MDR the next day? Awkward!

Ron

It seems to me one of two things might have happened here. The server was trained, and then did a poor job. In this case, management is wrong in not taking steps to determine if the server was ready to work with guest.

The second thing might be that there was a staff shortage for some reason, and this person was placed into the Pinnacle for to help out without the benefit of training. The server may have been back in her normal role the next day in the Lido. This is a bit harder to place blame, but IMHO management should have a a back up plan to address staffing issues so that the passengers are not affected.

I have not actually been on a HAL cruise, so I am providing an educated guess.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I never understand why old threads are resurected. Why not start a new one? Please, someone explain to me.

I am guessing that the op did a search. People are always being told to search so they did, found it and used it to ask. they have questions to be asked, new thread or resurrected ;)

I think I've decided on my Pinnacle Grill meal for our March cruise! Prawn coctail & the baby arugula salad, then the Porterhouse with the jumbo Idaho baked, and then the chocolate volcano cake to top it all off. (Now we just have to line up a babysitter for the kids once onboard or get the 3-year old toilet trained so he can go to Club Hal).

Hi Tim,

I found out that if your kids are 5 and under, the get comped, so no charge, if you want to bring them along....(or maybe, it is date night??)

BD

Ron

It's not your fault Ron - you did the right thing. The dining captain probably should not have told you. Same thing happened to us one time. We went to the Sommelier dinner and our waitress spilled a glass of wine (red) all over our table and onto dh. The dining room manager was livid.

Others came to help clean up and we never saw her in the PG again. (we didn't complain - everyone saw the accident).

I suspect they have very high standards in this restaurant (and should). After all - this was a $79 pp meal. And very, very good by the way :) despite the wine spilling :)

Pinnacle New Menu

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV - beef broth with aged Cognac & caramelized onions, baked with gruyere cheese

Lobster Bisque - crème fraiche & aged Sherry

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail - brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad - sliced purple onion, balsamic vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing Baby

Baby Arugula Salad - tossed with sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms & a warm bacon dressing -- topped with smoked bacon & chopped egg

Caesar Salad - crisp romaine tossed with our very own Caesar dressing, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons & anchovies -- prepared tableside

Dungeness Crab Cakes - spiral shaved cucumber & sweet chili-mustard sauce

Pinnacle Ocean Platter - carpaccio of lightly smoked salmon, accompanied with hot smoked salmon, sea scallops & wasabi cream

The Grill:

The Pinnacle Grill features hand selected Sterling Silver Premium Beef, unsurpassed in tenderness & taste. Our own Holland America Culinary Collection seasoned rubs add intriguing dimensions of flavor & our own 1600 degree grill helps seal in the juices.

Filet Mignon

New York Strip Steak

Porterhouse Steak

Bone-In Rib Eye Steak

ALL steaks are served with a choice of our own hand-crafted sauces: sun-dried tomato ~~ classic béarnaise ~~ horseradish-mustard ~~ Master Chef’s green peppercorn-classic hollandaise-maitre d’ and garlic butter

Colorado Lamp Chops - spiced apple chutney & fresh mint sauce

Grilled Veal Chop - marinated overnight in a savory blend of Rosemary, garlic & pepper vinegar with scallions

Chicken Breast - oven baked chicken breast stuffed with spinach & garlic herb cheese & served with lemon garlic beurre blanc sauce

Filet Steak Diane - the time honored classic: pan-seared medallions of beef tenderloin served with a light cream sauce enriched with mushrooms, shallots & Cognac

Filet Mignon Burger - a half-pound of freshly ground 100% beef, fine herbs & truffle infused cooked to your liking, served with fried onion rings and tomatoes

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon - troll-caught (for sustainability) in Alaskan waters, quick seared & broiled, served with your choice of lemon garlic herb splash or sesame-soy kalbi

Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail on a bed of wilted spinach & arugula with mustard seed & “mangochurri” pesto sauce or melted butter

Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi - roasted garlic & cilantro butter

The Intrigue:

Land and Sea - Master Chef Rudi Sodamin‘s interpretation of Surf & Turf: filet mignon & jumbo prawns on whipped potatoes with garlic rosemary beurre blanc

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese - Chef‘s favorite: a delicate, gratineed combination of mascarpone-enriched pasta & creamy lobster broth with chunks of lobster

Roasted Vegetable Tower - with onion confit & tomato coulis

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach

Sautéed Button Mushrooms

Sautéed Onions

Asparagus

Scalloped

Whipped

Jumbo Baked Idaho

Shoestring Potatoes

Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska - Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream flamed with Bing Cherries Jubilee

Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake - the ultimate chocolate experience

Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla - served with Grand Marnier sauce (must notify server at beginning of meal if you want this dessert)

Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake - served with fresh berries

Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding - with whiskey sauce

Pinnacle Crème Brule - flavors of coffee, chocolate & vanilla

Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries - with a Sabayon sauce

Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets

Assortment of International Cheeses.

Is it the same menu for lunch???

no -- the lunch menu is different

Pinnacle Lunch Menu

Menu - $10 per person.

Starters:

1)Grilled Prawn Bruschetta with a primavera salsa - aged asiago cheese and balsamic fusion

2)Mediterranean antipasto plate - pesto virgin olive oil

3)Scallops creme brulee - caramelized parmesean wafer

4)Northwest five onion soup - tomato shallot soubise

5)Chilled carrot and ginger soup - creme faiche and fried sage

6)Chiffanade of greens and tomato tower salad - Italian vinaigritte

Entrees:

1)Pacific rim beef salad - mesclun leaves, mangoes and lotus fruit

2)Alaskan halibut fillet sandwich - sour dough bread, cilantro relish and cucumber potato salad

3)Crab and shrimp cake - exotic fruit chutney, lime Thai curry sauce and orange rice with pine nuts

4)The Pinnacle burger - apple smoked bacon, cheddar cheese and bistro style shoestring potatoes. This dish can be served with a low carb bun and without the potatoes.

5)Sterling silver beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese crust - grilled asparagus and scalloped potatoes

6)Penne with grilled chicken breast, lemon basil sauce, sun dried tomatoes and arugula

7)Vegetarian couscous - grilled vegetables and fried mint leaves and harissa

Desserts:

1)Fresh strawberries with raspberry sorbet - sugar dough gaufrette

2)Chocolate brownie decadence - an explosion of chocolate

3)Orange and lime panna cotta

4)Ice creams and sorbets - ask for the day's selections

5)Fruit plate

this is really an old thread that has been brought up

since then there have been changes in the pinnacle dinner menu

nes menu as of 2009

Pinnacle Menu - $20 per person

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV - beef broth with aged cognac & caramelized onions, baked with gruyere croutons

Spicy Chicken Coconut Soup - fragrant coconut milk & lemon grass

Lobster Bisque - crème fraiche & aged sherry

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail - brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad - sliced purple onion, balsamic vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing

Baby Arugula Salad - tossed with sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and a warm bacon dressing topped with smoked bacon & chopped egg

Caesar Salad - crisp romaine tossed with very own Caesar dressing, grated parmesan cheese, garlic croutons and anchovies, prepared tableside

Dungeness Crab Cakes - spiral shaved cucumber & sweet chili-mustard sauce

Pinnacle Ocean Platter - carpaccio of lightly smoked salmon, accompanied with hot smoked salmon, sea scallops and wasabi cream

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse - served with our own hand crafted sauces: sun-dried tomato; Master Chef's green peppercorn bearnaise; horseradish mustard; hollandaise; maitre d' garlic butter

Colorado Lamb Chops - spiced apple chutney & fresh mint jelly

Grilled Veal Chop - marinated overnight in a savory blend of rosemary, garlic & pepper vinegar with scallions

Chicken Breast - stuffed with spinach & garlic herb cheese & served with lemon garlic beurre blanc sauce

Filet Steak Diane - pan-seared medallions of beef tenderloins & enriched with mushrooms & cognac

Filet Mignon Burger - a half-pound of freshly ground beef, fin herbs & truffle-infused

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon - troll caught (for sustainability) in Alaskan waters, quick seared & broiled, served with your choice of lemon garlic herb splash or sesame-soy kalbi

Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail - on a bed of wilted spinach & arugula, mustard seed & "mangochurri" pesto sauce or melted butter

Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi - roasted garlic & cilantro butter

Pinnacle Signature Skewers:

Beef Delight - beef tenderloin marinated with parsley, onion, thyme, rosemary & marjoram

Tantalizing Lamb - lamb loins marinated with herbs, garlic, cumin, honey, coriandor & red chilies, served with yogurt sauce

Chicken & Turkey Temptation - with onion confit & tomato coulis

Deletable Seafood - shrimps & swordfish, seasoned with lemon, paprika, garlic, mustard, cayenne & dill

Vegetarian Zen - array of mixed vegetables seasoned with herbs de provence

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

Can anyone tell me whether HAL has any sugar free or no sugar added desserts on the menu. I have called HAL & they can't tell me. I also tried doing a search on the forum & didn't have much luck with that either. I am a diet controlled diabetic & would really like to splurge & have dessert while on vacation.

Thanks!

Karla

Can anyone tell me whether HAL has any sugar free or no sugar added desserts on the menu. I have called HAL & they can't tell me. I also tried doing a search on the forum & didn't have much luck with that either. I am a diet controlled diabetic & would really like to splurge & have dessert while on vacation.

Thanks!

Karla

check out these menus for desserts that we had some time ago -- hal does have sugar free desserts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1299912&highlight=

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1299916&highlight=

Be aware when ordering sugar-free items that the waiters can make mistakes. My husband is also diabetic but he is on medication for it. On our Maasdam cruise, he ordered the sugar-free ice cream a few times. One night he thought it tasted "too sweet" and asked the waiter to verify that it was sugar-free. The waiter said that it was so my husband ate it. He started feeling sick not long after dinner and realized that his blood sugar level had spiked up. My husband took a little extra medication and started feeling better, but it was scary for a while. We reviewed what he had eaten. Unless there was a lot of sugar in his entree or dry salad, the only thing we thought of that could have caused that reaction was the ice cream wasn't really sugar-free. My husband avoided the desserts completely after that.

Archived