Flying in day of cruise.....

VOS08

I have been on 12 cruises and have always gone the day before. For the first time this Feb. 22nd I am going to be brave. My sister and I are going to drive into New Orleans the day before Feb. 21st, but we are flying out the morning of the cruise. Our flight will leave New Orleans at 6:00am and arrive in Miami at 8:30am...the ship doesn't sail out until 4:00pm so I figure we will be alright. Ok so I hope it will be alright.:rolleyes:

We live too far from the airport -- 1-1/2 hours away -- to think about trying to fly to a port city (the flights from here would be at least 2 hours) and get on the ship on the same day.

For our last cruise, we had to be up by 2 a.m., driving to the airport by 3 a.m. (they still wanted us there 2 hours before the flight!!). Got there at 5, got on our plane at 7:10 a.m., got into New York City at 11...had lunch, and crashed into bed for the afternoon.

It was very nice to take that nap, get up , have a leisurely dinner, go to bed, get up the next morning refreshed and rested, and make our way to the cruise ship.

I'll always fly in the day before.

We live too far from the airport -- 1-1/2 hours away -- to think about trying to fly to a port city (the flights from here would be at least 2 hours) and get on the ship on the same day.

That's why I love living less than 10 minutes from the airport (with 2 more airports within a 45 minute drive). And especially love living in a city with many, many, many flights every day to port cities. If there's a problem with the flight I'm on, there are at least 15 other flights I can get on that will still get me there with time to spare (more if I don't mind switching airports).

Another consideration is a time zone change. We flew to LA 2 days early for our Diamond Hawaii cruise in January from the east. I was so tired that first night that I fell asleep at 6 pm and missed our 7 pm dinner reservations. I would have hated to miss my first night on the ship because I couldn't keep my eyes open. If we are changing time zones I prefer to arrive 2 days early for a cruise. If we are within our time zone we usually go one day early. I'd never fly in the day of the cruise. I can remember the early 70's when we'd fly in the day of cruise, arrive at noon and go right to the ship with no problems at all. That doesn't work today.

I have done both, and on each occasion, we flew on flights organised by the cruise company, i.e inclusive of all transfers, which appears to be the norm in the UK. Our first trip to New York, the plane arrived at approx 10:00am with a cruise departure of 5:00pm, plenty of time. However, the ship was delayed leaving because of a flight delay from UK again flights organised through cruise company. I am quite sure but not certain, if the flight is part of the package, the ship will wait, in much the same way as if you partake in a cruise organised trip at one of the ports. The cruiseline can hardly leave you behind if its because of one of their organised carriers gets held up. Having said all that, I much prefer to arrive the day before, take in some of the local views and possible different foods.

In January we flew in the day of - out of Minneapolis, MN to San Juan - talk about taking chances!

But it was too much to change our tickets so we just purchased trip insurance and hoped for the best! It worked out just fine (except we were really stressing the weather)

But this time we are going on a cruise in march with 2 other families so we are flying in the day before - just didn't want to be so stressed out!

I am quite sure but not certain, if the flight is part of the package, the ship will wait, in much the same way as if you partake in a cruise organised trip at one of the ports. The cruiseline can hardly leave you behind if its because of one of their organised carriers gets held up.

This is a myth that the cruiselines are required to wait for you if you book air through them. They will wait if they can and if it won't cost them too much money, but it's up to the Captain, the port, the tides, and the cruise schedule. If it will make them late to the next port or it will cause them to incur added docking fees, they usually won't wait.

Weather can absolutely be a factor in May coming from Texas. I have gotten stuck multiple times in May due to severe weather at DFW or Houston. The early morning flights can be the worst as the planes don't make it in the night before due to the storms.

Same here, last May it took AA 11 hours to get me from Indianapolis to Phoenix via DFW...

Always better to be safe then sorry, even if it costs you a few bucks.

Agreed!

###

Same here, last May it took AA 11 hours to get me from Indianapolis to Phoenix via DFW...

I can tell you what hotels around DFW are decent and which ones to avoid for unexpected overnight layovers.:rolleyes: 2 years ago it took mom and I 24 hours to get home to Little Rock from San Diego on Mother's Day. We joke about it as the trip I took her to San Diego and Dallas.

my rule of thumb - winter and/or 1 flight per day - the day before

1 flight every hour or 2, day of.

I agree with your risk assessment.

I personally get more stressed flying in a day early. I don't particularly like staying in hotels. Cheaper ones are usually not clean or comfortable. Having to plan an overnight bag is extra bother. Even using an online discounter we typically spend about 150 for that one night. And if you add only two extra meals. and extra transportation. we will typically add about 300 to a vacation. We book inside cabins in low season. So our cost p night is usually about 80 pp. So adding 300 to stay in a hotel where we can have problems including one extra chance to catch a virus is not a plus for me.

Two sides to the same question.

We always plan to fly in the day before any travel event, particularly cruises. Yes, it costs more for the hotel, cab fare and food, but then again, we get up rested and ready for the cruise not exhausted from the air travel.

Thomas

Good point. On our first cruise we flew in a day before and did a little bit of touristy type things. And we didn't have to worry at all about missing the ship. It was fun, and extended our vacation by a day!;)

I always fly in at least a day before the cruise.

On our first cruise we encountered mechanical problems on the way home which caused us to miss our connecting flight. This just as easily could have happened on the way to Miami - which would have meant the ship would be sailing without us.

On our second cruise my luggage was delayed and didn't arrive until the next day. So had we flown in the day of I would have been cruising with no luggage.

Since I am already paying thousands of dollars for the cruise vacation, I think it is well worth it to pay a couple hundred more for the costs of flying a day early. Plus this allows me to be well rested and on the ship early :)

We fly and cruise frequently. We've had flights delayed for hours while on the runway [some but not all flights eventually took off] due to: weather; waiting while flight attendants could be replaced; mechanical difficulties: steering went out; tire had to be replaced, engine wouldn't start due to water due to monsoon-like rains; black box had to be replaced and flown in from a different city; luggage miscount discrepancy; a passenger being involuntarily deported went beserk. We've also circled above our destination airport due to weather delays and possible mechanical difficulties [sensors indicate landing gear not functioning properly] Also sat on runway after landing for lengthy period waiting for a gate to become open. Almost every cruise we've gone on we hear tales of passengers who literally missed the boat. And even when you are able to make a connection sometimes your luggage doesn't.

In the last couple of years our personally being subjected to delayed and canceled flights has increased, and the availability of timely substitute flights has decreased. Avoid the stress. Go in the day before. If money is a problem, book thru Hotwire. We do so frequently in connection with cruises and have never been disappointed with the accomadations.

I have to agree if you can fly the day before do! Though weather may not be a problem I have had too many "oh the plane is delayed from another airport so you gotta wait 4 hours":eek:

It's not worth the stress just think: You're there the day before sitting by the pool having a smoothie thinking of that great cruise the next day:D

Andrea

I have to agree if you can fly the day before do! Though weather may not be a problem I have had too many "oh the plane is delayed from another airport so you gotta wait 4 hours":eek:

It's not worth the stress just think: You're there the day before sitting by the pool having a smoothie thinking of that great cruise the next day:D

Andrea

Good to relax and enjoy before the cruise.

I doubt that weather will be a factor in May...

Very WRONG. Several years ago on a Friday in May, I was booked on a 10AM flight from Cincinnati to Newark on Delta after a business trip. The flight was scheduled to arrive in Newark before noon. I figured I'd be home enjoying the beginning of the weekend by 1 PM. After boarding, it was determined that there were mechanical problems and the flight was cancelled. Since Cincinnati is a Delta hub, a second plane at a gate some distance from the first was substituted. After boarding, it was determined that this second plane also had mechanical problems and the passengers were advised to go back to the original gate where a plane would come in from San Francisco en route to Newark. At this point, it was well after noon. Only some of the Newark passengers could be accommodated on this third flight, and luckily I was one of them. The 3 o'clock scheduled departure from the gate was more like 4 o'clock. As we taxied, I could see very dark skies descending on the area. The pilot announced that the airport had closed due to severe thunderstorms. As a result, we sat on the taxiway for close to 2 hours. We finally took off for the 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hour flight, only to be told that we had to hold for 45 minutes due to more weather. We finally landed well after 8 o'clock. After waiting in a huge line for a taxi, I finally arrived at my home around 10PM, 9 hours late. This could have been somebody on their way to a cruise. God only knows when the other passengers, who couldn't get on the third flight, got to their destinations. I cannot believe that people on these boards are still recommending coming in the same day. Thunderstorms can wreak as much havoc as winter snow storms.

Archived