Summit Cancelled Jan 31?

C 2 C

It looks like the January 31st Summit cruise is about to be cancelled.

I never again want to discuss that @#$% word again but I will now have to reconsider a booking I just made for the Transatlantic and Mediterranean in April.

This thread might explain why a dry dock was needed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=876199

I never again want to discuss that @#$% word again but I will now have to reconsider a booking I just made for the Transatlantic and Mediterranean in April.

I hate to disagree but the ship is scheduled for an entire week of a "wet dock" in San Juan according to a port web site. A @#$% cannot be replaced in a "wet dock."

I am sorry for anyone booked on these cruises. I was afraid of this when I went on Celebrity's website and both sailings were gone. I'll keep my fingers crossed that is isn't true.

I just got off the phone with the Certified Vacation Planner and the cruise is cancelled but she did not know why.

I cancelled the TA that I had booked because I was booking my own air back from Europe. I normally book X air when cruising in Europe because sometimes stuff happens. I did not want to risk the possibility of stuff happening to me.

I hope that all cruisers booked are compensated by getting a free cruise.

I'm not on this cruise (later cruise in March) but I am ticked for all the passengers. :mad: Wow. Some of us only get one cruise every so often, and all the juggles financially, coordinating time off with work/school (or if you have mandated vacation weeks you can only take certain times of the year), arranging grandparents to babysit and flying them in to do so, etc... wow.

I just found out that the cancellation/closed for bookings ??? is due to a charter for travel agents... Go figure: Celebrity charters the cruise so that Travel Agents can see how to increase sales of cruises.. never mind the inconvenience for guests who may be affected.

Sorry for those who had it cancelled on them--major issue short notice..Hope it works out

Hope if it is operational that it gets fixed. well We are hoping to return to Summit when they start heading to Bermuda from NJ/NY.

I am on this sailing and cannot get anyone at Celebrity to admit that it is cancelled! They keep repeating that it is simply being modified. I need to know ASAP so alternate plans can be made. THis is total baloney!

Call 1-800-556-8209 Certified Vacation Planner

Did you book direct or through a TA?

Sometimes X will not talk to you if an agent is involved.

I've talked to two agent at CVP, one said it was cancelled, the other said it is closed because of a Travel Agent charter. I don't know it that means further bookings are closed or that all cruisers except for TA will be cancelled.

Good luck

I posted this on the other thread, but thought I'd share it again in case some pax are following just one or the other:

------------

Our 12-day Med cruise on Millenium was cancelled in the summer of 2007 - they ran one of the props into rocks off of a French port. The folks aboard at that time suffered through a miserable 9 days.

Best part was that NO ONE, NOT EVEN OUR TRAVEL AGENT, was notified of the problem when it happened. I was not a C Critic member at the time or I would have known about it (those were the only reports getting out).

Most unbelievable part is this: our cruise was cancelled, and my TA was notified, BY FAX, FOURTEEN HOURS before we were to get on the plane to Italy. No phone call! No other contact!! (What if the fax had been missed? TAs get 100s of faxes a day!! I know, I used to be one!!!) We were the lucky ones; we had made our own air/hotel arrangements but were only flying two days prior to boarding. Plenty of other pax who made their own arrangements, and were already in Venice, were NOT EVEN NOTIFIED. That's right; they showed up at the pier to find NO SHIP.

=X= returned all of our $$ (within a week) and gave us all (there were 7 of us) certificates good for a free cruise - it had to be used within the next 12 months - which was precisely what they should have done. Unfortunately, they really dropped the ball on everything else, IMHO.

I have lots of empathy for all of you - so sorry this happened!!!

C 2 C--

thanks for the information--I finally got through and the agent did confirm that the ship is "not sailing--for sure, guaranteed." She was in the process of transferring me to resolutions when I got cut off. Now I am on hold again, trying to get through.

What a headache.:(

I think what will really be telling of X is if this cancellation is operational or charter. Both aren't ideal, but if cancelled due to a TA charter?

Compensation for airfare... but then does that mess up pax who did purchase travel insurance so now they are out the $$$ for insurance for X to make cancellations and ... and X refund those who didn't purchase insurance?

What a nightmare.

I am on the 1/17 Summit sailing and was wondering about what needs to be fixed on the ship that would require these? If it is the pod issues, should I not place deposits on independant shore excursions in case the port is missed?

I would be so upset if my sailing was cancelled! Maybe I sould not even think about it until we actually board the ship!

Good Luck to all of you affected.

Ruth

I'm certain Cruise Vacation Planners, etc, are unable to tell the "real" story (whatever that might be) until Celebrity officially issues a public statement. That's the way it works in most companies. Where I work, if there's a major story "brewing" all we can do is refer the press and any other inquiries to my companie's media relations department until a formal announcement is made.

I am wondering if they will also cancel the Feb 28th sailing. I noticed that it was no longer on the vacations to go website this morning???

Hi Purecanadian !

Per the Celebrity website, the 2/28 sailing is open for booking. It does not appear to be affected. I hope this helps.

This is very frustrating. I called my TA who called Celebrity - 12:45pm EST and was told that the cruise is still on.

Last night I booked a room in San Juan for Friday the 6th to make sure we had a place to stay before many of the other 1900 passengers find out that the ship will be docking a day early.

Did anyone actually hear from a Celebrity agent that the trip was cancelled?

This is very frustrating. I called my TA who called Celebrity - 12:45pm EST and was told that the cruise is still on.

Last night I booked a room in San Juan for Friday the 6th to make sure we had a place to stay before many of the other 1900 passengers find out that the ship will be docking a day early.

Did anyone actually hear from a Celebrity agent that the trip was cancelled?

I have--the first time I called this morning, after explaining that I was on the 1/31 sailing and believed it had been cancelled, the agent responded "Oh, it's that sailing--I knew one was coming but didn't know which one."

I then called Certified Vacation Planning at 1-800-556-8209 (thanks C2C) and spoke to two additional agents who both stated the ship is "not sailing--for sure, guaranteed." This was after they questioned the fact that I even had a booking on 1/31/09.

I then spoke with the Resolution Department who stated that Celebrity would be contacting guests starting on Monday, but they REFUSED TO CONFIRM that the cruise was cancelled. At this point, I am actively making alternate vacation plans. I am NOT waiting for Celebrity to get around to advising 1000+ other people that the cruise is off.

Archived