Internet Access questions..

ezancor

Hi all.. Sailing the Princess Ruby in early April.. couple questions:

1) Do ALL rooms have access to wireless internet?

2) If so, what is the cost and what is the easiest way to purchase this before or on the first day of the cruise?

3) If anyone has experience Princess' internet access yet, how have you found it? Speed, etc?

I have never crusied with Princess and my last experience with Celebrity and their internet access was discouraging so any information would be appreciated!

Having access to the net while on vacation would help me relax. :)

Thanks everyone!

I've not been on the Ruby so I can't answer your question about wifi in the rooms (it would only be wireless, there are no hookups). Perhaps if you read reviews, you'll find people who mention whether they were able to connect from their cabins -- especially if you search for "Live From" threads on this forum.

You can't pre-purchase Internet, but you can (and should!) purchase it on embarkation day, where you get 30 extra free minutes with the purchase of a package. If you do a search, you'll find someone posted just recently the prices for the various packages. Also, you could probably find that info on the Princess website.

The connection can be very slow or even completely down -- it's satellite-based, which is probably the same as Celebrity had, so be prepared for another disappointing experience.

Hope this helps a little.

$3.95 Activation Fee

Time plans

250 minutes for $100 - .40 cent a minute

150 for $75 .50 cents a minute

100 minutes for $55 .55 cents a minute

or pay as you go 75 cents a minute

First day, embarkment they have a special also throughout the cruise. Check the patter.

Internet access is slower than landbase.

WiFi on a ship made from metal is not practical in every stateroom. Some who are close enough to a hotspot may have reception. The link is by satellite on a moving vessel that is rocking. What you saw on the Celebrity is the same on other ships. Think dial up for speed particularly on the uplink. Be prepared for disconnects at random times.

The hot spots are out in the hallway, the Grandprincess had 8 on each deck and it worked pretty well. The Satellite is locked in so usually pretty good. In alaska you can be in the inland passage and have southern blockage where the satellites are at times...... In port they had interference problems that messed up the internet.

Alan

So now that everyone has said wifi is NG, let me tell you you're mistaken. The access from my cabin on the Ruby was perfect. I only went to the internet cafe once during the entire 7 day cruise (in November; 3rd Ruby voyage).

So to the OP..........yes....access from your cabin will be fine. I did do a lot of cutting and pasting because I needed to conserve time/minutes, inasmuch as I was doing a LIVE. Initially I didn't trust it, but found it to be working well. One thing you need to do is log off differently. All rules/explanation will be found in the cafe and on your laptop if you initially log on that way.

I'm on the Ruby right now, sitting on my bed with my laptop, finishing up our room service breakfast. I can tell you that the signal has been fine and it's very easy to set up your account--- no problems at all. Really a nice new addition.......

I'm on the Ruby right now, sitting on my bed with my laptop, finishing up our room service breakfast. I can tell you that the signal has been fine and it's very easy to set up your account--- no problems at all. Really a nice new addition.......

LOL. You couldn't have shown up at a more perfect time. :D Hope you're having a great cruise.

I think the ability to access the wifi depends on where you are on the ship and the satillite signal moving around. I was in a cabin on the aft on the Golden over the holidays and only one day did I have in my cabin a signal strong enough to send and receive anything. No big deal.. I just went anywhere in the Horizon Court ( I preferred the back to get out of the way of others eating) or the atrium ( I preferred the library in a comfy chair). I found the signal on the ship to be better than dial up but not as fast as I would have at home. But overall I was very impressed with the signal and how I was able to access my email or CC out there in the middle of the ocean..:)

Pam

Can someone tell me about internet access on the Crown?

Will I be able to use my laptop in my cabin?

If not where is it wireless?

We were on the Crown in October and had wifi in the cabin. It was great.

As far as I know, not every ship has wifi available in the cabins. I was on the Emerald in December and it did not. I will be on the Ruby in March and I believe there is wifi in the cabins.

Thanks for all the replies - especially those of you on the RUBY right now! :) Hope you're having a great time.

My concern is not so much the speed - I can deal with dial-up - moreso that I'll have to go to the Cafe everyday to do some work. I found that very annoying.

Cynbar - would you mind telling us what cabin you're in?

For the Ruby folks, can you sign up from your cabin the first day without going to the internet cafe? Also can you sign up/purchase a plan, then sign up/purchase another plan using spouse's account (2 plans) on the same laptop or is only one account allowed? (The reason I'm asking is we'd like to try and get the first day bonus minutes on both our Platinum credits.)

For the Ruby folks, can you sign up from your cabin the first day without going to the internet cafe? Also can you sign up/purchase a plan, then sign up/purchase another plan using spouse's account (2 plans) on the same laptop or is only one account allowed? (The reason I'm asking is we'd like to try and get the first day bonus minutes on both our Platinum credits.)

Yes, you can sign on from your cabin and yes, you can both do it the same day. Your initial sign on will be your name/cabin number and your dob as your password. Then you change your password to whatever you desire. Instructions are easy. But again.............you MUST log off the way they tell you or your minutes keep on accumulating even if you're not logged on.

We were on the Crown in October and had wifi in the cabin. It was great.

As far as I know, not every ship has wifi available in the cabins. I was on the Emerald in December and it did not. I will be on the Ruby in March and I believe there is wifi in the cabins.

Could you tell me which cabin or area you were in on the Crown to get wireless in your cabin? We will be on Caribe deck at midship next month.

Archived