Valentine Gift for Steward ?? Suggestions ??

GreenValleyDogWalker

I'm thinking I might like to bring a little something to give to our room steward on Valentine's Day as a gift -

Any suggestions ??

THANK YOU !!

The best gift they appreciate is $$$$. I would get a nice valentine's card and put what you would spend on a gift in that and present it to them. IMHO of coarse!

I was going to do a box of chocolates from Scoop DeVille in Philly.

nice idea but suppose it they are a diabetic-- or have allergies.

Although on my past few cruises crew members saw my Cadbury bars and told me they would kill for such things.

Cash is the best gift any of us can give.

Thanks to all for your replys - I think I'll do the card with some $$ - This is really my sneaky way to give a tip (without it looking like a tip) part-way into the trip

In surfing the boards here, messages about a particular Room Steward - Marvin - who works on the Diamond - Emerald Deck - AFT cabins - it sounds like I might need to offer some sort of something to get him out of his "cranky" moods - the previous posts have stayed in E731 and E735 and report him to be the only "bad" part of the trip - we are booked in E733 - and assume we will have Marvin also ---

Thanks to all for your replys - I think I'll do the card with some $$ - This is really my sneaky way to give a tip (without it looking like a tip) part-way into the trip

In surfing the boards here' date=' messages about a particular Room Steward - Marvin - who works on the Diamond - Emerald Deck - AFT cabins - it sounds like I might need to offer some sort of something to get him out of his "cranky" moods - the previous posts have stayed in E731 and E735 and report him to be the only "bad" part of the trip - we are booked in E733 - and assume we will have Marvin also ---[/color']

Ahhhh, reward substandard service, what a novel approach. What do you do for great service?

I always give a tip on the first day. It seems to help. I leave a note requesting an egg crate for my bed with a $10.

I hope your steward isn't cranky.

Curious question- since you tip extra on the first day-- how do you know that the tip helped or if the person was just genuine.

Having never tipped before service was rendered -i look at that as a bribe--

But requesting a service like you indicated should leave a tip when that service is requested.. do you tip extra that first day on top of the 10.00??

Curious question- since you tip extra on the first day-- how do you know that the tip helped or if the person was just genuine.

Having never tipped before service was rendered -i look at that as a bribe--

But requesting a service like you indicated should leave a tip when that service is requested.. do you tip extra that first day on top of the 10.00??

Never give a bribe on the first day. :eek:

Whenever I go on a cruise and have met my cabin steward I will give him a bag of Hershey's chocolates (kisses or the variety bars) and maybe a mug (or at Christmas a stocking). I do the same for my table waiters in traditional dining and give them a bag of chocolates. They love them. I can't count how many times they have thanked me for thinking about them and many times the candy doesn't even last three days. I end up getting great service and they end up getting a bit extra cash at the end of the cruise besides what is on the daily account for tips.

Whenever I go on a cruise and have met my cabin steward I will give him a bag of Hershey's chocolates (kisses or the variety bars) and maybe a mug (or at Christmas a stocking). I do the same for my table waiters in traditional dining and give them a bag of chocolates. They love them. I can't count how many times they have thanked me for thinking about them and many times the candy doesn't even last three days. I end up getting great service and they end up getting a bit extra cash at the end of the cruise besides what is on the daily account for tips.

I like the idea! It gets over the tipping before service given but shows an appreciation.

I like the idea! It gets over the tipping before service given but shows an appreciation.

The one main reason I do it is because I know how hard these people have to work and many times the kind of people they have to put up with. Sometimes they get people in their cabins they just can't please no matter what they do. Same in the dining room.

I will be cruising on Easter Sunday so we have decided to fill jumbo plastic Easter Eggs with Kisses and other treats ($) for crew members we come into contact with....It will be my son's job to give them out...Should be fun..

Chocolates are fine. Nix the "Mug". What will they do in their tiny cabin with all the mugs they may get? Of course, they will smile and thank you for the mug but they will probably get rid of it at the next port / cruise.

I will give him a bag of Hershey's chocolates (kisses or the variety bars) and maybe a mug (or at Christmas a stocking).

Maybe it's just me, but I have never understood tipping for services not yet received.

Lynda, I agree with you, but try not giving the porters at Port Everglades a "tip" before they even do anything with your bags....

Its basically ransome, but I want to see my bags again :eek:

Lynda, I agree with you, but try not giving the porters at Port Everglades a "tip" before they even do anything with your bags....

Its basically ransome, but I want to see my bags again :eek:

Hmm I have never tipped them and my bags have always arrived.:o

The one main reason I do it is because I know how hard these people have to work and many times the kind of people they have to put up with. Sometimes they get people in their cabins they just can't please no matter what they do. Same in the dining room.

What there are people on board who are not nice all the time? I have never had to deal with them! ;) The nicest passenger I have ever met had a book of $2 bills bound on the edge and he would give instant tips all the time for good service. I was a passenger too at the time and he even gave me $4 for helping him. It is the little bits of gratitude that really get rememberd, sometimes even just a please or a thank you can really make the moment.

Of course you could always do the gratitude dance too! http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=R9z2ELaBVJY

Archived