Just got the call from Carnival...for the second time!

CanadianMommyof2

So we just got the call from Carnival telling us that our sailing has been cancelled in December because the Freedom is going to drydock...wouldn't bother me too much but this is the second time they have cancelled our sailing on us! We had a group of 13 rooms booked for the Liberty and got a call saying they were changing things up because of the Europe sailings being cancelled so they offered to put us on the Freedom...now the Freedom is going to drydock. Not sure what we are going to do now...:confused: Anyone else get the call from Carnival and what did they offer?? We are waiting for a call from the groups dept. to help decided which ship we should try this time...

So we just got the call from Carnival telling us that our sailing has been cancelled in December because the Freedom is going to drydock...wouldn't bother me too much but this is the second time they have cancelled our sailing on us! We had a group of 13 rooms booked for the Liberty and got a call saying they were changing things up because of the Europe sailings being cancelled so they offered to put us on the Freedom...now the Freedom is going to drydock. Not sure what we are going to do now...:confused: Anyone else get the call from Carnival and what did they offer?? We are waiting for a call from the groups dept. to help decided which ship we should try this time...

OMG, that stinks. Once is bad enough but twice is to much. Enjoy your cruise this week and ponder what to do next.

There is only one thing that I don't really understand about the whole situation...Carnival has been really pushing the "Early Saver" on their website but it really hasn't been that helpful for us because they keep changing itineraries, sending ships to different locations, or dry dock. I understand that changes can happen but if you are encouraging booking in advance then maybe they should be prepared for when customers do use the "early saver" program. :p

I bet you will get even better accomadations since they cancelled twice on you. I don't think you are bad luck at all, in fact I just feel that everything is going to be even better and you will end up saying aht it was worth it. This happened to my brother two years ago, and in the end, he ended up with Penthouse Suite for the cost of an oceanview room and all because they cancelled his cruise twice. So good things will happen, I know that nothing bad is going to happen.

Look on the postive side, they could have announced it 60 days before you were to embark on your cruise, at least by doing it now, you will still have a choice to nice rooms.

I bet you will get even better accomadations since they cancelled twice on you. I don't think you are bad luck at all, in fact I just feel that everything is going to be even better and you will end up saying aht it was worth it. This happened to my brother two years ago, and in the end, he ended up with Penthouse Suite for the cost of an oceanview room and all because they cancelled his cruise twice. So good things will happen, I know that nothing bad is going to happen.

Look on the postive side, they could have announced it 60 days before you were to embark on your cruise, at least by doing it now, you will still have a choice to nice rooms.

Thanks, I don't feel like we have bad luck...just a really crappy economy right now. I'm not sure what they are going to do for us but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Thanks, I don't feel like we have bad luck...just a really crappy economy right now. I'm not sure what they are going to do for us but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Unfortunately, the economy is indeed dictating these fast changes. Carnival is not going to leave a ship in an unprofitable route just so that they don't inconvenience a few. Unfortunately for you, it happens to be YOUR sailing the one that's being scrapped.

Some recent examples of fairly short notice re-deployments:

• Liberty cancelling all North Europe sailings (in my opinion, the biggest one, since there's no real alternative for these cancelled cruises).

• Elation changing from 5 night cruises to Cabo San Lucas, to 4 night cruises to much closer Catalina Island. (plenty of irate people over this one).

• Pride cancelling 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruises from Miami in favor of Bahamas and Pt. Canaveral cruises from Baltimore (I'm sure the people form Baltimore and surrounding areas are excited, but a cruise to Pt. Canaveral??).

Carnival is probably taking a look at their itineraries, looking at drydock schedules, and re-scheduling things around to minimize losses.

The best thing to do is to go with the flow. Although the changes and cancellations that you've been subjected to are more extreme, that's the nature of the cruise industry (ports and itineraries are subject to change!).

Whatever ends up happening, I hope that you enjoy a well-deserved cruise!

Our freedom 11/29/09 has been cancelled...the week before you...we already booked our airfare, so now we have to decide where to take our business or what ship or line to go on.....it only stinks cause I was looking forward to the Freedom!

I'm so sorry about everything! :(

We had a family group booked over President's Week 2008 - planned two years in advance! Carnival redeployed the first ship and offered us another. We didn't like its itinerary, so they allowed us to change to our preference. Then they redeployed that ship, too! So we had to change a second time. It all worked out very well for us in the end (Legend was awesome and we had upgrades and OBCs). I hope it does for you, also!

This situation stinks! I know we book our cruises 18 months to 2 years out I research each itinerary thoroughly, plan excursions, book airfare the minute it opens, hotels the minute they open, etc. I would flip out if I got one of those calls! I hope everything works out. You know what they say - the third time's the charm! Good luck!

I can feel for the OP...I did have my Triumph June 2009 cruise cancelled a few weeks ago..(there were 3 of the new Quebec-After the Glaciers (out of NYC) planned for this year...NEW itinerary...all cancelled due to "economic issues ".I have rexheduled for 2010-same cruise but on GLory...but it is still not appearing on their site..so wondering if even that one will be "a go"......

I fear....that the entire cruise industry will be making many more changes...

Our freedom 11/29/09 has been cancelled...the week before you...we already booked our airfare, so now we have to decide where to take our business or what ship or line to go on.....it only stinks cause I was looking forward to the Freedom!

I'm so sorry about everything! :(

Did you get trip insurance? If so, that should cover any extra money spent to move/switch plane tickets....

Archived