A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

I even in talking it out, at one point came up with "Be kind, rewind? ... No... Definitely wrong."

Well, the context is positive. Good enough for me!

Personally, I think it means British Columbia Nurses' Union (which ain't a bad thing!), especially since you're a hop, skip and a jump away from BC;)

Hi DBA,

The Oosterdam is heading for dry dock in a couple of weeks from now and have a couple questions.

Is there any way you can share a punch list on all the specific things that will be done during the dry dock? I’m an engineer and enjoy the nitty-gritty details on stuff like that:D

I have a feeling your boss won’t let you go to Europe and take photos of the Oosterdam in dry dock, but do you have anyone that can take a few shots?

Thanks,

John

Hi DBA,

The Oosterdam is heading for dry dock in a couple of weeks from now and have a couple questions.

Is there any way you can share a punch list on all the specific things that will be done during the dry dock? I’m an engineer and enjoy the nitty-gritty details on stuff like that:D

I have a feeling your boss won’t let you go to Europe and take photos of the Oosterdam in dry dock, but do you have anyone that can take a few shots?

Thanks,

John

The things I know for certain, many of which were done on Westerdam and Zuiderdam already are:

• Shops renovated
  • Library removed and replaced by the Screening Room (this was not done on Westerdam FYI)
  • Explorations Cafe put up top with Crow's Nest, eliminating the Oak Room
  • Canaletto added to the Lido Restaurant
  • Aft of decks 6, 7, 8 and 9 will be extended. Deck 5's aft staterooms will now be primarily covered
  • General maintenance, upkeep and various items that can't necessarily be done with 2000 guests and 900 crew onboard :)

If there's anything else, I can't think of it right off the top.

And while you're correct and I won't see the Oosterdam in dry dock for myself, I can try to work some magic and see what I can manage. I would assume the main HAL Blog will also be covering this event (and Veendam's which in some ways will be A LOT bigger)

Thank you DBA, I was also wondering what maintenance is done below the water line of the ship. I imagine striping the hall and re-painting. Do they plan to do some type of PM on the Azi-Pods or swap them out, and stuff like that (maybe I should be asking Copper..lol).

Also, does the majority of crew/staff get a Holiday or shore leave for a while or do they continue to work their butts off cleaning and stuff?

Thanks again,

John

Haven't heard anything specific, but with 15 ships soon in the fleet... anything's possible. That, and a ship going to Bermuda through the summer... Definitely some good starts.

Keep in mind, it wasn't all that long ago when HAL had been away from Europe for several years. All the ships pretty much were ALaska and the Caribbean

Dutch for taking the time.

Thank you DBA, I was also wondering what maintenance is done below the water line of the ship. I imagine striping the hall and re-painting. Do they plan to do some type of PM on the Azi-Pods or swap them out, and stuff like that (maybe I should be asking Copper..lol).

Also, does the majority of crew/staff get a Holiday or shore leave for a while or do they continue to work their butts off cleaning and stuff?

Thanks again,

John

John, here some of that stuff (The crew does stay onboard and is kept very busy!)

1. Clean and renovate all the sun loungers.

2. Deep-clean cabins and public areas.

3. Empty, clean, and re-stock all the minibars.

4. Shampoo all the carpets.

5. Replace worn carpets.

6. Touch up interior paint.

7. Re-paint exterior.

8. Repair the thousands of little things broken in normal operation.

9. Repaint / re-tile Galley floors.

10. Renovate / replace Galley equipment.

11. Install new cables and pipes for new equipment.

12. Clean up all the mess made by the contractors onboard.

13. Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry dock.

14. Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage from contractors.

15. Repair, clean, upgrade crew areas.

16. Stand fire watch.

17. Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour.

18. Clean and inventory all items in hundreds of storage lockers.

19. Clean, repaint, and repair swimming pools and jacuzzis.

20. Renovate teak decks.

21. Repair/replace/renovate mechanical equipment

Now we are talking Copper;). I did get a chuckle out of item #12. Also, I did not realize #13, that the contractors live on board. So do they actually stay in passenger’s cabins?

And also, since you did not mention it, no PM work on the Azi-Pods?

Thanks,

John

Hi Dutch,

I have a question about the teen program on the Ryndam. We have late seating dinner for now. Will that interfere with the timing for the teen program at night? I know for the 12 and under set, main or early dining is recommended because the HAL kids club starts at 7 p.m.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Dutch,

I have a question about the teen program on the Ryndam. We have late seating dinner for now. Will that interfere with the timing for the teen program at night? I know for the 12 and under set, main or early dining is recommended because the HAL kids club starts at 7 p.m.

Thanks for your help.

Best people to ask these details of would be the Ship Services dept and/or other CC readers/posters. I'm sure there is some sort of arrangement, but have never had to use the services of Club HAL.

:)Wow! I just knew the sailors and music lovers were the best of the bunch. dmlee1910 got it right out of the record sleeve..."I'll Be Cee-Ning You...la da le da" I never could sing. Now, combine all of that with copper 10-8's explaination of a dry dock and I'm starting to have a whole new appreciation of a two week cruise. And then, add the inside information of our favorite cruise line that's provided by DBA and kow-a-bunga!! What a thread! I'm Lovin It!!!

B C N U and Happy Sails to You

Fred

DBA, I've been wondering something.

When do 2010 Cruise Planners begin to be distributed? I've asked aboard ship and have dropped in at my travel agency, but no one has copies so far. Do you think that they're on the way?

I wouldn't mind having a booklet for Europe cruises after 2009 either. Are they in the pipeline as of yet?

(Did you get the chance to take the 3-day cruise? I lost track.)

When do 2010 Cruise Planners begin to be distributed? I've asked aboard ship and have dropped in at my travel agency, but no one has copies so far. Do you think that they're on the way?

I wouldn't mind having a booklet for Europe cruises after 2009 either. Are they in the pipeline as of yet?

Hi Debbie! Many of the "Good Nuts" are going on the Veendam to Bermuda on 10/03....maybe you and your sister would like to join us for that one! Hope all is well with you two!

Hi Debbie! Many of the "Good Nuts" are going on the Veendam to Bermuda on 10/03....maybe you and your sister would like to join us for that one! Hope all is well with you two!

Well now, that's certainly a tempting idea!:p

I can't think of a happier, nicer group of people to travel with. And I've always wanted to visit Bermuda.

Right now we have three cruises booked for the next 12 months or so, but have nothing planned for later in 2010.

We'll absolutely talk this over.

Thanks for the lovely suggestion, Sheila.:)

Could you confirm that the Wine Cards are going to continue or are they going to soon be replaced by some sort of an "all-inclusive" drink card?
In post #141 of this thread DBA said:

I've heard conflicting stories about this both on and off these boards... I know that if they are removed, something equivilent will be offered, but I don't feel comfortable going into more details on this at this time.

I'll let you know when I hear something certain.

Still not sure yet. Rumor has it, they confirm space at 21 days out, but Im watching space because if it gets tight enough I may just buy my way on :)

As for the 2010 cruise planners and brochures, I've heard that the majority of them are in various stages of proofing.

In post #141 of this thread DBA said:

I've heard conflicting stories about this both on and off these boards... I know that if they are removed, something equivilent will be offered, but I don't feel comfortable going into more details on this at this time.

I'll let you know when I hear something certain.

As an update, although I don't know how much help it will be, I've heard more information on this, however what I do know is still completely internal at this time.

Once any information is available/public I'll update once again

Still not sure yet. Rumor has it, they confirm space at 21 days out, but Im watching space because if it gets tight enough I may just buy my way on :)

As for the 2010 cruise planners and brochures, I've heard that the majority of them are in various stages of proofing.

Thanks for the helpful answer about upcoming cruise planners. I'll confess that I keep a collection of the current ones near my t.v. chair at all times. It's fun to browse. They have that well-loved appearance.:D

Glad to hear that your chosen cruise will happen even

if you need to purchase your fare.

Debby

We're off on a 10 day cruise on the Ms Ryndam March 25 to Mexico Riveria. I have been reading about the Mariner's Club and wondered if our other cruise which was the maiden voyage of the Niew Amsterdam inland passage to Alaska about 30 years ago counts toward membership.

W are celebrating both our birthdays and our 35th wedding anniversary taking this cruise. If we enjoy it we are planing a family cruise this summer with our son, his wife and two kids (9 & 12). They all love cruising and have been to Mexico and the Caribbean already. Not sure if our daughter and her DH and 2 kids (18 months an 4) will go. She is with Maritz.

The things I know for certain, many of which were done on Westerdam and Zuiderdam already are:

• Library removed and replaced by the Screening Room (this was not done on Westerdam FYI)..............

What do you mean about the library removed? Is it up in the Crow's Nest area or wherever the internet is? Like not gone altogether:confused:

What do you mean about the library removed? Is it up in the Crow's Nest area or wherever the internet is? Like not gone altogether:confused:

It (the library/specialty coffee bar in the Explorations Cafe) will be removed from their original locations and moved up to the starboard side of the Crow's Nest where the Oak Room used to be. Same thing already happened to Westerdam and Zuiderdam and Eurodam came out with that set-up when she was newly built last year.

Sorry about jumping in, Dutch!;)

We're off on a 10 day cruise on the Ms Ryndam March 25 to Mexico Riveria. I have been reading about the Mariner's Club and wondered if our other cruise which was the maiden voyage of the Niew Amsterdam inland passage to Alaska about 30 years ago counts toward membership.

Absolutely.

Contact the Mariner Society and give them all the information you can about the sailing - Ship, cruise length, dates or approximate dates if you know off the top of your head and they'll be happy to add that on to your history.

It (the library/specialty coffee bar in the Explorations Cafe) will be removed from their original locations and moved up to the starboard side of the Crow's Nest where the Oak Room used to be. Same thing already happened to Westerdam and Zuiderdam and Eurodam came out with that set-up when she was newly built last year.

Sorry about jumping in, Dutch!;)

No worries, but you're incorrect about the Screening Room on Westerdam. The space is an extension of the shops as I understand it. There is no screening room onboard the Westerdam.

Archived