A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Just curious about HAL's method of determining where a cruise director might be placed for their next contract. For example, if a CD did the summer in Europe last year would HAL put them in Alaska this coming summer and then possibly flip them back to Europe in 2010. Thanks in advance.

How the crew and officers get spread around is something I have no clue on. I know sometimes the transfers have to do with say a ship is coming into Ft. lauderdale and the same day another ship is there. They might do a transfer...

But honestly I have no idea. :confused:

I love cruising with HAL. I've only been on 9 HAL cruises and I wish I had started cruising earlier. I hope that 10 new cruisers that are going with me this time will continue to cruise with HAL and have the best time of their lives this April.

1Sunshine1

I love cruising with HAL. I've only been on 9 HAL cruises and I wish I had started cruising earlier. I hope that 10 new cruisers that are going with me this time will continue to cruise with HAL and have the best time of their lives this April.

1Sunshine1

I hope they do as well 1Sunshine1!

Glad to hear you enjoy the blog!

To DBA A couple of questions for you. Please pretend you can see the future.

Both the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and the new 14 day Alaska cruise including Anchorage look fabulous but we can't do both the same year.

#! Is the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise offered every year?

#2 Is it anticipated that the 14 day Anchorage cruise will be repeated every year?

Thank you

Hi can you please let me know regarding Zuiderdam SY category cabins which one are the best :confused:(location and balcony) ? do all the S Y cabins have Plexiglas balcony on Zuiderdam ?:confused:

I am planning to book Zuiderdam to Panama for 10 days in December for 2 persons and we are looking into the SY cabin location now, can you please give any info regarding Zuiderdam and cabins and any tips and tricks to help us book a good one lol:)

? hope to hear from you soon

honey-bunny

To DBA A couple of questions for you. Please pretend you can see the future.

Both the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and the new 14 day Alaska cruise including Anchorage look fabulous but we can't do both the same year.

#! Is the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise offered every year?

#2 Is it anticipated that the 14 day Anchorage cruise will be repeated every year?

Thank you

Hi lazey1-

1) If you mean the 30-something day Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas cruise, yes that seems to be done at least once per year.

2) Couldn't tell you on this one as it is brand new for 2010, but I hope so. I already am developing vacation plans for 2010 and they don't include a return to Alaska... YET! :)

Hi can you please let me know regarding Zuiderdam SY category cabins which one are the best :confused:(location and balcony) ? do all the S Y cabins have Plexiglas balcony on Zuiderdam ?:confused:

I am planning to book Zuiderdam to Panama for 10 days in December for 2 persons and we are looking into the SY cabin location now, can you please give any info regarding Zuiderdam and cabins and any tips and tricks to help us book a good one lol:)

? hope to hear from you soon

honey-bunny

All SY's have the plexiglas balcony...

As for best location... they're all above AND below other staterooms so pretty much quite. They're the whole midship section so I would say book close to midship.

Aloha DBA,

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise. We have one too, and are very excited.

I saw your post about the cabanas on the Eurodam. But I have looked at the retreat cabanas with some interest, are they protected from cold wind while crossing the Atlantic?

We have become weather wimps.

Thanks, and have a great time!

Itineraries usually release about a year in advance. I would guesstimate Alaska and Europe both in the May-June range.

Call reservations though and ask about a Future Cruise Request. They require a VERY minimal deposit ($125.00 for US$ bookings) and you'll be reached approximately 1-2 weeks before it releases to the general public.

Hope that helps!

Speaking of Alaska... Mt. Redoubt eruptions are currently impacting air travel into and out of Anchorage. Does HAL have a contingency plan if the mass air cancellations continue into the cruise season?

B

Aloha DBA,

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise. We have one too, and are very excited.

I saw your post about the cabanas on the Eurodam. But I have looked at the retreat cabanas with some interest, are they protected from cold wind while crossing the Atlantic?

We have become weather wimps.

Thanks, and have a great time!

Not sure necessarily how "protected" they are, but some cabanas are along the glass "wind screens" on the port and starboard sides, whereas others are against a more standard open railing.

Speaking of Alaska... Mt. Redoubt eruptions are currently impacting air travel into and out of Anchorage. Does HAL have a contingency plan if the mass air cancellations continue into the cruise season?

B

I know the situation is being monitored and if/when these issues affect itineraries a "plan B" will be enabled... What that plan is though, couldn't say.

Keep in mind it's still over a month til anything makes its way to Alaska. :)

Hi Dutch,

We will be on the 70 day South American Prinsendam cruise in Jan. 2010. Do you know who will be the CD, the Chef and the Captain on that cruise?

Thanks, Mygate

This far out, I don't. But I know much of the crew for the Grand World Voyage stayed the same from 2008-2009. Same can likely be said for the Grand South America.

Some posters on here routinely do this cruise. It might be worth making a new thread and asking everyone. I bet they'll have at least a logical guesstimate.

And well done on the cruise! I wish I had the 70 days off to be able to manage that one myself!

I know the situation is being monitored and if/when these issues affect itineraries a "plan B" will be enabled... What that plan is though, couldn't say.

Keep in mind it's still over a month til anything makes its way to Alaska. :)

Thanks for your response. I keep telling myself the eruptions will subside over the next few weeks. But, the last time Mt. Redoubt was active, the eruptions lasted over a period of 5 months. It is likely the events will continue into the Alaska cruise season. For those contemplating taking advantage of the great discounts to Alaska at the last minute, this is no longer an insurable event. Knowing the details of "plan B" would be reassuring... or not.

Thanks again, for the information. I guess we're in the watching and waiting mode... Mother Nature has a mind of her own...

B

I am curious as to whether the following situation is a glitch, or an enhancement on HAL's website.

In the past, I always was able to check HAL's site for the current going price on any sailing ... even once I made a booking, I could and would continue to check pricing, as I understand that if the price goes down HAL will lower one's price, if requested to do so, before final payment date.

I currently am booked thru a T/A for a 14-night sailing in November. For the past month or so, when I sign on to HAL's site and price out the voyage, the price shown for my category B verandah is identical to what I am paying, which is lower than what HAL's website showed before this glitch showed up. Interesting ... because the site shows a BA at $150 more than that and a BB as only $100 lower than my price.

It would seem that once one has a firm booking, one no longer can check the going price for that same specific cabin category on that same sailing ... the site just shows whatever $$$$ must be linked electronically to my identity/profile.

Any insight on why one cannot verify HAL price drops?

Thanks for your response. I keep telling myself the eruptions will subside over the next few weeks. But, the last time Mt. Redoubt was active, the eruptions lasted over a period of 5 months. It is likely the events will continue into the Alaska cruise season. For those contemplating taking advantage of the great discounts to Alaska at the last minute, this is no longer an insurable event. Knowing the details of "plan B" would be reassuring... or not.

Thanks again, for the information. I guess we're in the watching and waiting mode... Mother Nature has a mind of her own...

B

Please note, however, that while I am unaware of other policies, HAL's CPP and CPP Platinum Plans both allow cancellation for any reason (even sick pet or bad hair day... LITERALLY) up til the time of sailing. :)

You are clearly knowlegable about all things HAL - I have a question about our med. cruise out of Barcelona this July - we would like to go to Spain early and explore but cant figure out how to do the luggage - we would like to send several bags to barcelona for the cruise but we will probably be flying into madrid early for exploration - when i spoke to HAL they were singularly unresponsive but i am sure many people experience this situation, The cruise is 24 days long so definitely need other clothes for it after knocking about spain for 2 weeks before the cruise. Any ideas

Hi Dutch, thank you for all your help on this board.

one question: does HAL provide box lunches for people not doing a HAL shore excursion, if we ask the day before? if yes, who do we ask?

we will be in St. Petersburg, and just wondering if we could arrange for box lunches, in order to save time so we can see as much as possible.

thanks!

DBA, I just wanted to thank you for all the great and very useful information you are giving out here.

Also, WOW, to your Blog, it's really wonderful and so much work for you.....

Thank you.

Really looking forward to my first HAL cruise in a few weeks.

Hi Dutch, thank you for all your help on this board.

one question: does HAL provide box lunches for people not doing a HAL shore excursion, if we ask the day before? if yes, who do we ask?

we will be in St. Petersburg, and just wondering if we could arrange for box lunches, in order to save time so we can see as much as possible.

thanks!

Hi cruzisme,

This is something I'm not familiar with, and I know here in US ports customs has huge issues with any food products coming off the ship.

Ship Services may be able to obtain more information for you on this

Thanks for the comments about the blog! :D

DBA, I just wanted to thank you for all the great and very useful information you are giving out here.

Also, WOW, to your Blog, it's really wonderful and so much work for you.....

Thank you.

Really looking forward to my first HAL cruise in a few weeks.

Appreciate the kind words yvr!

Looks like you're on the Statendam 5/5 5 day?

You are clearly knowlegable about all things HAL - I have a question about our med. cruise out of Barcelona this July - we would like to go to Spain early and explore but cant figure out how to do the luggage - we would like to send several bags to barcelona for the cruise but we will probably be flying into madrid early for exploration - when i spoke to HAL they were singularly unresponsive but i am sure many people experience this situation, The cruise is 24 days long so definitely need other clothes for it after knocking about spain for 2 weeks before the cruise. Any ideas

I hate to give everyone the same answer, but I would check with Ship Services on this. I would have to think it's possible, but can't say I've ever needed to arrange anything like this so I can't speak from personal experience.

I am curious as to whether the following situation is a glitch, or an enhancement on HAL's website.

In the past, I always was able to check HAL's site for the current going price on any sailing ... even once I made a booking, I could and would continue to check pricing, as I understand that if the price goes down HAL will lower one's price, if requested to do so, before final payment date.

I currently am booked thru a T/A for a 14-night sailing in November. For the past month or so, when I sign on to HAL's site and price out the voyage, the price shown for my category B verandah is identical to what I am paying, which is lower than what HAL's website showed before this glitch showed up. Interesting ... because the site shows a BA at $150 more than that and a BB as only $100 lower than my price.

It would seem that once one has a firm booking, one no longer can check the going price for that same specific cabin category on that same sailing ... the site just shows whatever $$$$ must be linked electronically to my identity/profile.

Any insight on why one cannot verify HAL price drops?

I'm not aware of any changes to pricing and the way it is displayed. I would ask to speak to the Consumer and Online Support department and ask if they can answer in more detail. Reservations can transfer you to them.

Archived