14 day Hawaii Cruise

janetz

My Wife & I did this Crusie this last Oct.29th on the Golden Princess & loved it. The Sea Days were mixed with a little bit of bumby water but we did not seem to notice it much. Some people did & they closed the pools a few of the Sea days. All in all the cruise was really great though.The food, the service, the entertainment & the Islands were just wonderful. We have been to the Islands 20 times but this was our first cruise to them & we enjoyed the Sea days very much & they seemed to put me to sleep at a drop of my hat our any time I sat down. I guess you just have to take your chances on when you go. Our son & his wife are going this coming Oct. 25th & I think that will be a good one.

We went in oct. of 2007 and had perfect weather. The ocean was as smooth as glass. Now that was because there was no weather systems out there.Alot of the times the weather is a little bumpy about 2 days out of L.A. and then turns nice and warm. In fact this coming oct. we are doing it again. It is a great cruise, love those sea days.

Marilyn

I went the first time in late January 2006, the second time was mid-March 2008, and will be going again in mid-March 2010.

I have sailed out of LA three times, at the times of year noted above, plus once in early November. I have never experienced anything but damp, fairly chilly weather in LA. And each time, the first couple of sea days leaving and the last 1-2 days returning to LA have been cool, so we needed long pants and a light jacket to be out on deck. Starting about day 3, enroute to Hawaii, it warms up and people are using the outdoor pool and laying out in the sun in swimsuits.

Hawaii is pretty consistently in the upper 70s-low 80s during the day all year around, and pleasantly cool in the evenings. I often check the Honolulu weather in the local newspaper, and the temps are amazingly consistent. So I'm inclined to say that the time of year does not matter much.

IMO, this is one of the best cruises for rest and relaxation. The 4 1/2 sea days each way are a perfect prelude and ending to the port days in the Islands. On the sea days, there are lots of activities available for those who wish to participate.

If you have never been to Hawaii, or if you are not fond of flying, this is a good option. Granted, there's only one day in each port, but it's a great way to get a taste of Hawaii.

If you want to know specific things about the cruise, please ask, and those of us who love it and keep doing it over and over will be glad to try to give you answers.

We took this cruise 2 years ago in late March and, apart from the first two days out into the Pacific, when you cross the current that runs along the entire west coast and has nothing to do with time of year, it was quite smooth. As you can see from my signature, we'll be doing it again in another 6 weeks. Last time we had a mid-ship balcony cabin on Caribe deck, this time we have an obstructed oceanview cabin on the lower Emerald Deck, still amidships. I bet we'll feel even less motion this time, but I've got the wrist bands and the ginger capsules packed just in case... In case we run into something like the current Golden Princess Hawaii cruise has been facing the last 2 weeks:eek:. Personally, I'd never go in January or February because after all this is the Northern Hemisphere and rainy season, so storms are more likely. Look at California weather right now! It comes from the west...

We were also on the Oct 29, 08 cruise. And yes, some of the sea days we had large swells. There was a storm 1000 miles to the north. With the swells coming from the north, or on our starboard side we would roll from side to side. This weather condition could happen at anytime of the year. So it will be the luck of the draw for any cruise. But remember that the pacific storm season is from June to Dec 1st. Anything can happen. The weather is Hawaii is almost always great. I would look for the best price cruise, book it, and not worry about the weather.

We are going on the April 1 cruise. Anyone else?

Why don't you go to your Roll Call on the main page. I just bet they have one started and you get to chit-chat with new friends.

Marilyn

Why don't you go to your Roll Call on the main page. I just bet they have one started and you get to chit-chat with new friends.

Marilyn

I am sure they feel they can post here too without someone taking a shot at them - right? Now if you were just informing them of the other option that would be very nice of you and thank you very much.

Just because I can, We are on the April 11, 2010 Cruise and looking forward too it very much. Oh, and yes I am on the roll call for that cruise too.

Have a nice day

I am sure they feel they can post here too without someone taking a shot at them - right? Now if you were just informing them of the other option that would be very nice of you and thank you very much.

Just because I can, We are on the April 11, 2010 Cruise and looking forward too it very much. Oh, and yes I am on the roll call for that cruise too.

Have a nice day

Huh? I think you have misunderstood Marilyn's post. She was merely being helpful by suggesting the poster go to his roll call. I have never heard her make an unkind reference to anyone.

Huh? I think you have misunderstood Marilyn's post. She was merely being helpful by suggesting the poster go to his roll call. I have never heard her make an unkind reference to anyone.

:) I agree. Its difficult to know someones "tone" of voice when posting. Sometimes people sound harsh but do not mean to be at all. Its happened to me. ;)

We too are on the April 1 cruise! We are looking forward to meeting you. Roll on over to the Golden Princess roll call for April 1. It's getting fairly large. You'll find us there as well. It reads like quite an eclectic group so far...

Maybe we should all wear something that identifies us to each other. Maybe CruiseCritic luggage tags? Just a crazy idea.

When we went on our cruise last Oct. 29th we(a bunch of Cruise Critic Roll Call People) all met at the Mermaid Bar after the Muster for our first get together. We all wore some sort of Red shirts & some wore Lei's. We then set up other meetings for other days at another spot for another time & day. We all had been talking among ourselves for months & it was a lot of fun to meet each other. You can exchange Ideas about cruiseing & shore excursions & all kinds of things online & on board ship when you finally get there. The roll call is a great place to talk over these things & to find out things you did not know about cruiseing or about a place. So Good Cruiseing to all.

You'll find many people here who have taken this cruise more than once. Even onboard you'll find more who never heard of CC, but keep doing this itinerary.

We were on the 12/22/05 cruise on the Island Princess and we're considering going again in maybe two years.

As noted above, there's a current you'll cross that could cause some rough seas (the reason we had booked a midships cabin). Some sailings have a lot of rolling, some don't.

In October and April, you'll have a better chance of drier weather in LA, if you stay here a day or two pre-cruise (which is recommended, so you don't risk missing the sailaway). Right now, we're having the biggest storm of our season (had hail this afternoon at our house; maybe two inches easily). But our weather conditions can vary greatly between temps in the 50s to the 80s during the winter (except for the few days our high was in the 40s). You may have a couple of sea days with overcast skies, but when you get closer to the islands, the temps go up. Our port days were in the high 70s with partly cloudy to sunny skies, again that was in December. When we got back to the west coast, Ensenada and LA were in the 80s due to the Santa Ana winds.

There's a whale season, I think between December and March. We saw whales on our snorkeling excursion.

My Wife & I did this Crusie this last Oct.29th on the Golden Princess & loved it. The Sea Days were mixed with a little bit of bumby water but we did not seem to notice it much. Some people did & they closed the pools a few of the Sea days. All in all the cruise was really great though.The food, the service, the entertainment & the Islands were just wonderful. We have been to the Islands 20 times but this was our first cruise to them & we enjoyed the Sea days very much & they seemed to put me to sleep at a drop of my hat our any time I sat down. I guess you just have to take your chances on when you go. Our son & his wife are going this coming Oct. 25th & I think that will be a good one.

Yes, we are going on the Golden Princess, sailing from LA on October 25, 2009. Looking for others who will also be there!!!

We are on the April 11, 2010 Cruise and looking forward too it very much. Oh, and yes I am on the roll call for that cruise too.

Have a nice day

We are on the April 11, 2010 cruise also ! :)

Didn't know there even was a roll call already.

We've cruised RT to Hawaii twice before, but from San Diego. We always seem to go in April. I guess it's because it's not so humid in Hawaii then.

Pat

We had perfect weather in January, so it's anybody's guess!
That's when we went too...not crowded on the islands, almost NO children on the ship, and nice and quiet. The rides over and back were almost as flat as the Western Caribbean (sans tropical disturbances, of course). :D

Archived