Chair Saving Poll

dwjoe

How long is a reasonable amount of time to "save" a deck chair?  

448 members have voted

1. 1. How long is a reasonable amount of time to "save" a deck chair?

• Up to 15 minutes
    • Up to 30 minutes
    • Up to 1 hour
    • Up to 2 hours
    • Up to 4 hours
    • Over 4 hours

I voted for 30 minutes. Personally if you are gone from your chair for more than that time then you really don't need the chair. If you are in the pool for an hour or more, find a spot to put your stuff, then when you are ready to get out find a chair.

30 minutes is more than enough to hit the rest room, stop by the bar or run to the windjammer to grab something to eat (of course you may need to bring it back with you, not sit there to eat it!).

Ok, then how long does you butt have to be in the chair after the "30 min. limit" before you can get up and take another dip? Is there a limit there, too?

If you are actively USING the chair, even if you're spending time in the pool, or standing 3 chairs down talking to someone....that is NOT chair-hogging!

Chair-hogging is saving chairs for potential later use.

Some of you scare me--will you take my things while I'm legitimately using my chair?

I voted up to an hour. And I mean UP TO, and not MORE THAN an hour. I think that is reasonable. Hey...I often will lounge for a while in the chair...run for a quick bite to eat...dash back to the cabin for a forgotten item...take a quick dip...then head back to my chair. Is that chair hogging? I think NOT.

I voted up to an hour. And I mean UP TO' date=' and not MORE THAN an hour. I think that is reasonable. Hey...I often will lounge for a while in the chair...run for a quick bite to eat...dash back to the cabin for a forgotten item...take a quick dip...then head back to my chair. Is that chair hogging? I think NOT.[/quote']

I so agree with you on this one!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, this might raise some He-double hockey sticks, but at the country club I used to work at, you are only considered using a chair if you are in it! That means if you get up, your seat becomes available! As a staff member, we used to watch chairs. If someone go up to use the bathroom or swim in the pool, they would ask us to watch their seat. If they went to the lounge, got a drink, went to the cafe, they lost their seat.

So, why is it okay to consider a seat taken if someone leaves to get food or a drink on a cruise ship?

I understand swimming and leaving your stuff on the chair! You are still on the pool deck. I can understanding getting up and going to the bathroom. However, I find it obnoxious that people think they can go get lunch or go hang out somewhere else on the ship for a while and come back and still get their seat. In my opinion, you CHOSE to begin a new activity, and therefore you have lost your seat.

Now, there is a big difference if you forgot your book, and you kindly ask someone nearby to alert other people that you will be back in 10 minutes with your lost item to reclaim your seat.

On one of our cruises a few years ago - we could never get a chair by the pool so one lunchtime we were sitting on the deck in the aft by the grill (after we ate and just chatting) all the chair hogs by the pool came down and were complaining they could not sit and eat their lunch - to bad perhaps they went back to the pool and ate.

I don't mind if you get up and grab a bite to eat, take a dip, grab a drink or talk to someone - but when you go to the pool at 7:00 am and all the chairs are reserved that is just BS

I don't count pool time or bathroom time as time out of the seat. However, IMO, there is no one more obnoxious than someone that has a chair hogged in the sun and one hogged in the solarium at the same time just so they can go back and forth from sun to shade. Yep, I've seen it. :mad: When that person gets up and goes to lunch hogging two chairs that they are not using, I see RED!

I agree with the 1/2 hour idea. If we want to get a bite to eat, then we go one at a time and bring our food back and eat by the pool. My rule for my family is if you have decided on another activity (such as the flowrider), your pool seat is history.

When we were on IOS at Christmas, they were putting white stickers on unattended "saved" seats. The problem was that the chair hogs would go nuts on the poor kid trying to stop the chair saving. They needed someone big and mean to deal with the problem:p

I voted for 30 minutes as I think IF I had a pool side chair, I might need to go to bathroom, go eat something from the buffet and 30 minutes should be sufficient for each event. I would not count my time in the pool or whirlpool or leaning on the poolside bar getting a drink if not using the wait staff, since the pool and pool chairs are somewhat connected and being in the area means to me I am there.

Personally, I no longer lay out in the sun, but do like the lounge chairs to lay out and read a book, listen to my ipod and take that all important nap. Thus, for me, I like to be in the area of the poolside band, but not next to the pool if possible.

My question is.....

How much time do people really stay at the pool in the hot sun?

For me, about an hour or two of tanning and swimming is quite enough. It gets really hot and after that much time it becomes unhealthy.

I would say that if you are actively using the chair and pool, and don't leave the chair for more than an hour for ANY reason, then you are fine.

We can almost all agree that the problem with chair hogs is when they leave and don't come back for long periods of time....just to save the seat for later.

I think RCL needs to implement a chair check out program....and enforce the rules. (LOL)

After taking more than 20 cruise i beleive 30 minutes is more than enough time. i can leave my chair and get food in about 15 minutes to bring back. if i am swimming my cover up is sitting on the chair so it shows I am swimming. i tend to tel lthe peopel around me thati wil lbe right back if i need to go ot he cabin etc. Most tell me also- if they leave for food i give them 30 minutes and to me the chair is now open for use.

It would save a lot of potential embarassing confrontations if Ship staff monitored the use of chairs and loungers.There's nothing worse than seeing a lounger with a towel draped across it 'empty' for hours because the so called user has got up early put the towel down then went back to bed for a snooze....:eek:

I voted for 30 minutes. Personally if you are gone from your chair for more than that time then you really don't need the chair. If you are in the pool for an hour or more, find a spot to put your stuff, then when you are ready to get out find a chair.

30 minutes is more than enough to hit the rest room, stop by the bar or run to the windjammer to grab something to eat (of course you may need to bring it back with you, not sit there to eat it!).

I understand there is a lack of recliners by the pools but that is no reason that you have to take someone elses. This is just plain rude to take someone elses. They are there first and if you really wanted that seat you would have been there earlier.

So if anyone is rude it is the people taking recliners from others.

Ok, then how long does you butt have to be in the chair after the "30 min. limit" before you can get up and take another dip? Is there a limit there, too?

If you are actively USING the chair, even if you're spending time in the pool, or standing 3 chairs down talking to someone....that is NOT chair-hogging!

Chair-hogging is saving chairs for potential later use.

Some of you scare me--will you take my things while I'm legitimately using my chair?

I think they might :eek:

I understand there is a lack of recliners by the pools but that is no reason that you have to take someone elses. This is just plain rude to take someone elses. They are there first and if you really wanted that seat you would have been there earlier.

So if anyone is rude it is the people taking recliners from others.

Ah but there are many many here that would disagree with you. The chaises do not belong to you, they belong to everyone. IMO if you don't want someone to take your chaise, sit in it.

I don't think you are 'saving' a chair if you are in the pool.

It is meant for those who reserve a chair for someone who is not there..

People looking for chairs and seeing towels and books on them don't know if you put them there at 6 am and are currently walking the Promenade or if you're in the pool.

I voted up to an hour. And I mean UP TO' date=' and not MORE THAN an hour. I think that is reasonable. Hey...I often will lounge for a while in the chair...run for a quick bite to eat...dash back to the cabin for a forgotten item...take a quick dip...then head back to my chair. Is that chair hogging? I think NOT.[/quote']

With all due respect, I consider leaving for a bite to eat a valid reason to release your chair.

Running back to your cabin to get a book you forgot will take less than 15 minutes. Taking a dip and going back to the chair is also acceptible. So is going to the bar for a drink to bring back to your chair.

But running to the WindJammer, especially if you plan to sit down and eat in the WJ, is reason enough to release your chair. I do...

Archived