Carnival Wants More Money for Cruise Last Month

mzloolue

The OP owes the money, whatever happened.. something got credited to the account that he knows was incorrect.. or he got a balance PIF when he knew it wasn't...that's why the OP keeps harping on the cruise being "over and done with" and what are the rights to come back for money when the service has already been rendered.

Just curious....

At any point before your cruise did you notice an accounting error?> I mean I always know the cost of my cruise, and if my final payment was 144 dollars less then expected I would have questioned it.

Especially on a ship as inexpensive as the Holiday. We cruised on her a few weeks before you and my son's only paid 189.00 per person to cruise 2 in a room on the lower deck inside. If almost half of that amount suddenly didnt show up on their statement...they would have been thrilled...but definetly questioned it.

We also went into the cruise knowing we'd have a fuel refund as a credit to use towards our tips, and spent very little on the ship. Our cruise was also price adjusted before our final payment was made, but the price told to us on the phone, and online exactly matched the price on our statement.

Did yours?

My dad cruised the same time as we did. My sister had booked in his room, and then canceled at the last minute (well shortly before the cruise). She had asked that her "refunded amount" be left on Dad's room as a credit for them to use on the ship. For the week or so before the trip Dad's room showed a credit for her amount. Then sis discovers the money had been returned to her credit card. Knowing this "accounting error" had happened and the refund was basically given twice, we fully expected the credit to disappear off Dad's room. It did, the amount was corrected when we arrived at the ship. We never commented to the purser or anyone about the missing credit...we knew it was an error and we didnt deserve it. (even though she'd ask that it be given on the room).

Anyway...I'm just saying..errors happen...Did you notice it before your cruise...?

As an aside, this whole thing has got me wondering if a consumer has any rights against a company that damages his or her credit rating without just cause?

If a company mistakenly bills you for something you did not purchase and then sends it to a collection agency if you refuse to pay, do you have any legal recourse for the damage that does you?

You do have recourse but it is time consuming and lengthy to sort out. The credit system in this country is VERY flawed - it sucks but you are kind of at their mercy once they get something on you. Many people I see just give up the fight.

Your best plan of action with billing errors is to nip it in the bud and keep it from getting to collections. If it does get that far chances are it's also hit your credit report which is bad. You would then need to contact either the creditor or the collection agency they turned it over to and dispute the charge, in writing. As explained in some earlier posts there are then legal steps they must follow as far as providing you proof of the debt. If this still doesn't resolve it, you would then need to contact each of the three major credit bureaus to dispute what is on your credit report. Plan on lots of time - I've had clients stay on hold literally several hours to talk to some one at each bureau. After you have talked to them they will give you steps to take to provide, in writing, any proof you have that you don't owe. Once that is received, they will then go to the creditor and ask them to prove that you do owe it. If the creditor can't prove it, then it will be removed. But often the creditor can produce something, or some legal gibberish in the contract if you ever did business with them that will cause the credit bureaus to side with the creditor.

It's a flawed and crummy system that is NOT consumer friendly. That's why I keep saying that if this really is Carnival trying to collect to OP needs to fight it now and not ignore it. But from what many other posters have pointed out - I would also be seriously investigating whether this is a scam or not, although the OP has not even mentioned that possibility and doesn't seem concerned that this is a scam which seems odd to me. If it were me I would first look up a legitimate number at Carnival on my own and call them to investigate - not using the number on the letter. A scammer could have easily had the name of this Martha person at Carnival and just happened to call after they sent the letter - the email to Gerry Cahill and the timing could just be coincidence.

Everything seems fishy in this story. I don't think it's a scam, but it does kind of seem like one. It seems like the OP knows there was a error because they keep harping on their rights.

It does seem a little odd that with much, much evidence presented here that this could at least possibly be a scam the OP doesn't really seem interested in checking that out. But we also don't know the whole story - she may have already verified that this is indeed Carnival.

A scammer could have easily had the name of this Martha person at Carnival and just happened to call after they sent the letter - the email to Gerry Cahill and the timing could just be coincidence.

The OP said Martha made reference to Cahill. So thats more than a mere coincidence.

After three e-mails to GCahill@carnival.com, I received a call this evening from a woman named Martha who identified herself as a representative of G Cahill. This Martha says that there was an accounting mistake and I owe $144.27 on the January 31, 2009 cruise, even though I have a statement that shows me paid in full before the cruise and the one issued to me on board the ship that also shows me paid in full.

There is much more to this that we will probably ever know. Sounds like the OP knows exactly whats going on and is trying to figure out a way not to pay for the "accounting error"

Everybody thinks that this is a scam. However:

- The OP emailed Carnival directly, and got a response from them verifying the balance owed.

- He/she hasn't answered whether they booked the cruise under a special promotion which required eligibility verification and maybe didn't provide it later.

- I received the same exact letter one time because the ID they had on file had expired so they couldn't verify that I was still eligible for the discount. After I provided a copy of my new unexpired ID, they credited my balance.

- Did the OP book their cruise through Carnival or through a TA? If it was through a TA or PVP, has the OP gone through them to research this?

It seems to me that there's A LOT more to this story than the OP is saying...

The OP said Martha made reference to Cahill. So thats more than a mere coincidence.

There is much more to this that we will probably ever know. Sounds like the OP knows exactly whats going on and is trying to figure out a way not to pay for the "accounting error"

She never said she got a response to the email, just a phone call from Martha, who another poster has said is out of the office. It could have been dumb luck that she used Mr. Cahill's name, but it's one a lot people know, so it could have been a shot in the dark with "scammers." The whole thing could be resolved by getting the number off of Carnival's website and calling to verify there is a balance. No way and I trusting letters that are hand written and phone calls initiated solely by them. Now a direct response to my email fine, but the lack of an email responding to hers, sounds like Carnival doesn't have a clue what she is talking about.

Something is fishy here all the way around. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Everybody thinks that this is a scam. However:

- The OP emailed Carnival directly, and got a response from them verifying the balance owed.

- He/she hasn't answered whether they booked the cruise under a special promotion which required eligibility verification and maybe didn't provide it later.

- I received the same exact letter one time because the ID they had on file had expired so they couldn't verify that I was still eligible for the discount. After I provided a copy of my new unexpired ID, they credited my balance.

- Did the OP book their cruise through Carnival or through a TA? If it was through a TA or PVP, has the OP gone through them to research this?

It seems to me that there's A LOT more to this story than the OP is saying...

OK Tapi, What punishment does the OP deserve, would flogging be sufficent? I say don't let the OP get away with this transgression. ;)

I still think the OP should ignore the letter. Why would anyone be concerned about a letter that wasn't even addressed to him/her? They said dear sir/madam..no way I would pay. however, the op may be a good example of how scammers do get gullible folks to fork over their money. So worried about their credit report and such.

I wonder if the letter was on Carnival letterhead

Bill

Hey y'all,

Thanks for the helpful responses.

To clarify, the unsigned letter that I received was dated Jan 23, 2009.

(The cruise departed Jan 31, 2009.)

The letter reads:

Dear Sir/Madam:

This letter serves to confirm our records indicate an outstanding balance owed to Carnival Cruise Lines for services rendered to you:

Please mail payment to:

Carnival Cruise Lines

MSRV 407N

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, Florida 33178-2428

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call (800) 438-6744, Collection Department, at extension 14094.

The letter is unsigned, below the empty signature space it says

Accounting Operations

Collection Department

The letter is smudged and looks like it was folded up with wet ink.

The envelope is hand addressed in blue ink and the postmark is Feb 18, 2009.

The Martha Colon called me today at work and told me that she would be sending the documents to me.

I don't know why she felt compelled to call me and tell me that.

I asked for the documents when I spoke with her the previous time.

My husband just wants me to send them the money and be done with it, but this is in my name. I am very upset about how this has been handled and I am not about to just send them a check. They are acting like this situation is my fault and it definitely is not!

We have been watching the price of Carnival stock and seriously considering buying some, but now I know that this company does business like a clown school!

I have called and spoken with a gentleman at the BBB who recommended that I file a claim.

I sent one more e-mail to GCahill@carnival.com and asked that the matter be resolved.

If I do not hear anything else from Carnival, I will file the claim.

(And no, we did not spend anything additional on the ship.)

As I understand, you never called the department to whom you were directed in the letter. And, as I read this, all you have done is continue to E-mail Mr. Cahill and post your complaint here.

Perhaps if you verified the phone as a valid number for Carnival and called the extension provided, this might have been resolved earlier and with less drama !!

That said, I still believe Carnival erred in not sending the documentation along with the letter.

You also seem irritated that Martha called you back. I would think you would be happy to hear she was sending the requested documentation ?

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR....PICK UP THE PHONE ! By now, Mr. Cahill has surely designated your E-mails to his Junk E-mail folder.

That's what I would think.

Well, would have thought until now:(

I have questions for Carnival and have not been given answers.

Martha Colon says that she is sending paper work that shows their accounting error.

At this point I am to the point where I really don't care what they did.

The Carnival attitude is coming across as if I have ripped them off.

I have not done anything except pay what I was told to pay, arrive at the port at the appointed time, ride the boat and go back home.

How could I have done any of this?

I don't work for Carnival and I have no control over what they do inhouse.

This whole cruise was much more trouble than it was worth.

Anyway...hold on to all your paper work and receipts.

Apparently the end of the cruise does not mean that they won't come after folks for more money.

I really feel for you and the run-around you have had.

Though my situation does not involve a cruise, we had a problem many years ago. We purchased a new mini-van. The company advertised 2.9% financing. We negotiated a price, signed all the paperwork, and took the van home. I got a call from the dealer the next day stating that WE had lied about the interest and that it should have been 4.9% and that I had better come right to the dealership to redo the paperwork. The salesman was quite rude and pushy on the phone. I hung up with him and immediately called my attorney, who told me that, since I have all the paperwork that is signed by the dealer and I have the van in my possession, I am not obligated to do anything.

My husband drove to the dealership, all dressed up in a business suit (back before casual work wear was the norm). The dealer began harrassing him until my husband calmly stood up, picked up the phone, and told him that I had just gotten off the phone with our attorney. My husband began dialing the number when the dealer hung up the phone and changed his attitude completely around. He became nervous and apologetic, and asked if we would work anything out with him, as the paperwork would not go through with the incorrect interest rate.

At the dealer's suggestion, as part of the agreement, the dealership gave us a check for the difference in the interest over the four year term. When we purchased the van, we DID NOT KNOW that interest rate was higher for mini-vans. We did not intentionally swindle anyone...the mistake was the dealer's. For all we know, the dealer was making all this up.

My advice is to quickly call your attorney if you have one. (My consultation over the phone did not cost us anything.) If you do not have one, many will give you a quick, free consult over the phone. Get whatever info you can from him/her and let the rep at Carnival know that you have been in contact with your attorney.

Good luck.

Though my situation does not involve a cruise, we had a problem many years ago. We purchased a new mini-van. The company advertised 2.9% financing. We negotiated a price, signed all the paperwork, and took the van home. I got a call from the dealer the next day stating that WE had lied about the interest and that it should have been 4.9% and that I had better come right to the dealership to redo the paperwork. The salesman was quite rude and pushy on the phone. I hung up with him and immediately called my attorney, who told me that, since I have all the paperwork that is signed by the dealer and I have the van in my possession, I am not obligated to do anything.

My husband drove to the dealership, all dressed up in a business suit (back before casual work wear was the norm). The dealer began harrassing him until my husband calmly stood up, picked up the phone, and told him that I had just gotten off the phone with our attorney. My husband began dialing the number when the dealer hung up the phone and changed his attitude completely around. He became nervous and apologetic, and asked if we would work anything out with him, as the paperwork would not go through with the incorrect interest rate.

At the dealer's suggestion, as part of the agreement, the dealership gave us a check for the difference in the interest over the four year term. When we purchased the van, we DID NOT KNOW that interest rate was higher for mini-vans. We did not intentionally swindle anyone...the mistake was the dealer's. For all we know, the dealer was making all this up.

My advice is to quickly call your attorney if you have one. (My consultation over the phone did not cost us anything.) If you do not have one, many will give you a quick, free consult over the phone. Get whatever info you can from him/her and let the rep at Carnival know that you have been in contact with your attorney.

Good luck.

Interesting issue...obviously the salesman was a typical salesman and I would think his boss didn't like the deal he gave you. However, stuff like the above is to be expected when buying a car. Why should the OP even bother to go any further...a few posts back she mentions the letter she received is not even addressed to her. No issue as far as I am concerned. What does bother me a little is that while many posters here realize that this is a non issue for the OP, there also seems to be many here who are very concerned about credit ratings and the legality of actually owing the money, I believe that scammers prey on that exact type of person. Why are folks so worried? The letter is not even addressed to her...and it is handwritten I believe. While, I wouldn't put it in the circular file right yet...I wouldn't pay it or even call anyone on it. Once someone gets you on the phone, they start the legal/guilt/credit ruination thing and get you to pay up. If the person on the other end of the phone is a scammer, and you are gullible/altruistic/or just a nervous type....they got you!!!! If it really is Carnival......well their accounting dept is at fault anyway....!!!!! Let it go.

btw, I think the op already knows what I am saying

Good luck.

I'm not sure how that is even possible. You told the dealer what the interest rate was and they just accepted it and drew up paperwork for it? Did a finance person sit down with you and fill out paperwork and have you sign it? The salesperson is normally only involved in negotiating the sale, not the financing. Your post makes it sound like you just told them what the interest rate was. I'm not even sure where "lying" comes into this since the purchaser doesn't name their interest rate and if the dealer didn't know what rates they were offering, that would be their fault, not the purchasers. But, I still dont' get where the purchaser tells the seller what the rate is.

I just "googled" the phone number in the letter and it came up as Carnival...For calls to Human Resources, Reservations Administration and Operations

Toll-Free: 800 438-6744 (Nat/Can/FL)

Still sounds like a scam.

The 800-438-6744 is just a Carnival 800# when you add the ext 14094 that gets you to the Accounting dept, pretty sure they would be the ones handling collections. Its hard to imagine the OP hasnt called the number.

The 800-438-6744 is just a Carnival 800# when you add the ext 14094 that gets you to the Accounting dept, pretty sure they would be the ones handling collections. Its hard to imagine the OP hasnt called the number.

Hey y'all.

First, I am not a scam.

And I am not a thief.

If you look you will see that I have been on here for several years.

And I do think that this situation is bizarre.

I have questions that Carnival has not answered.

As of yet I have received no additional information from Carnival.

I did believe that the cruise was over and done with.

It was for me.

I've been back at work for weeks, have lost what I gained :eek:, the laundry is done and the suitcases are back in the attic.

And I do want to know when a cruise is truly over and done.

This whole situation is something that I really did not need to have to deal with.

And actually this whole thing has kind of hurt my feelings...

like Carnival was my friend and now they aren't...

I have not liked the attitude from them that this is my doing when there is no possible way it could have been me.

If someone had called me, explained the situation (whatever it turns out to be), apologized for the mistake and asked for payment that would have been okay, but that is not what happened. I got a weird unsigned letter apparently from the collections department dated before we took the cruise in a hand addressed envelope with a postmark that did not match the date of the letter and that said I owed $144.27 for "services rendered".

I e-mailed GCahill to find out what in the world is going on!

And if the date on the letter is valid, then how did DH and I get on the ship and back off the ship without this problem being addressed.

And if the letter was actually written more recently, then why was it dated more than a month earlier?

I still don't understand except that they seem to have made some kind of bookkeeping error. And they seemed to be operating under the impression that I should cough up $144.27 with no paperwork.

I don't control their internal workings and I have no way of causing a mistake to occur.

It was their mistake.

If the paperwork ever actually shows up, then I will look at it and try to understand it, but why should I really have to?

How responsible should I, or any consumer, have to be for how professional people take care of their own business?

A few answers,

No, the booking was not a special promotion.

Nothing that would have to be verified.

It was booked with our PVP, who we have been dealing with for five years.

She knows us and our whole crew of kids and friends we cruise with by name. We have taken a bunch of Carnival cruises, not in the double digits:), but close to it now.

I do believe that it is actually Martha Colon who called and I do believe that she does work for Carnival. She knew of my e-mails to GCahill and the phone call showed a Carnival number on the caller ID.

Like I said, there were a lot of changes of price before the cruise and there was a lot of confusion on that cruise.

It was not a normal cruise.

The sign and sail credits were not usual as there were refunds for fuel and missed port.

I don't know.

I am not a bookkeeper.

I was on vacation and I looked a the paperwork that came under the door but I didn't study study it.

So, I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

And I have say that the comments about my believability and possible lack of honesty could stop.

You are absolutely right, how it was handled was terrible. Then to top it off, the cruise was a mess, and to come home to a bill makes it worse.

If the mistakes were made during the adjustments pre-cruise, all someone had to do was politely explain, I'm sure it can happen a lot when there are a few price drops and the fuel refund to boot.

I don't think $144 is worth losing your family as customers.

mzloolue,

I never doubted your story. I have dealt with Carnival Customer Service before and that did not turn out well at all. Now I let my wallet do the talking and take my business to where Customer Service is an important part of good business. Keep up the fight, don't pay anything until you have solid evidence to prove you owe them $144. Good Luck. :)

At this point I would continue to fight against it. Keep all your records and mailings. A large company like CCL can write this off and should. Keeping a customer is worth more than the $144. and change. I also work in the mortgage industry and trust me I have seen LO's and title companies take a hit for a mistake, your cruise is over and you paid for it in full at all aspects. With out sufficent evidence of the charge they really are up the creek without that paddle. Yes I have seen credit collections for small items like unreturned library books but you can dispute these items with the bureaus.

Keep us posted and updated and good luck.

I'm going to toss my scenario into this. OP went on the cruise. They immediately charged the tips to her card. So she now had a negative balance of $100. When Carnival was crediting port charges they inadvertently gave her a credit of $144.27 that belonged to someone else along with her port credit. She now had a credit of $44.27 plus her own port credit. On the last night they put the credit back on her card and the bill was zero. Not only that, it's possible that she made money on the cruise because they put their money on her card.

The analogy that I am making is that if the bank gives me $50 too much they WILL call me the next day to tell me to bring it back in. It has happened to me.

mzloolue,

Do you have a copy of your final itemized invoice that you can post with personal info blacked out? (you did say that the only charges were tips right?) Or at least give us a line by line recap?

Did you open a cash account or use a credit card? Was your account charged any money at all or did your account have a credit posted?

Archived