Carnival Wants More Money for Cruise Last Month

mzloolue

If they turn the op over to collections, that will go on his credit. That is not something anyone would want.

I would definitely give Carnival a call directly (do not call the number on the letter) and see what they have to say about the matter.

A incorrect report is easily removed by disputing with the reporting bureau, and providing proof. ( your invoices, hang on to em OP )

I would try to work this out by phone first. As someone suggested, ask for a supervisor. I have had Carnival fax me a copy of something that didn't seem right on one of my s and s bills after the sail - they were wrong, and took care of it immediately. If that doesn't work, I would also send them a return-receipt letter explaining what happened, asking for a copy of the bill they had. Attach a photocopy of your 0 balance bill. If the phone calls don't work, at least you will have the letter in the mail to them. In this day and age, I truthfully wouldn't let it sit waiting for it to possibly go to collection. That would be a mess to clear up on your credit rating!

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, it is actually Carnival I am trying to deal with.

And I have spoken to a supervisor in Guest Relations, the Martha in the opening post.

She says that there was an accounting error on their part.

I have asked for written documentation and that their future communication be in writing.

I want everything in black and white.

As of yet I have not received an actual bill.

I have received, on Feb.21, an unsigned letter from "Collection Department" dated almost a month ago stating that I owe them $144.27 for services rendered.

At that time I began sending one e-mail per day asking that this problem be cleared up.

Martha, guest relations supervisor who called me last night said that they had researched it and that it was not a charge for anything purchased. It is to correct an error that they made.

Yes, I believe that there was confusion on their part.

But I also believe that at some point it is too late to come to me for more money and I paid exactly what I was requested to pay.

It is not anything that I did.

On this cruise I was able to take advantage of several price reductions before final payment was made and I don't know how such things are usually handled, so whenever this error occurred I was unaware of it.

There just has to be a point at which this thing stops.

There has to be a point at which I am no longer liable for their accounting mistakes, you know?

It is just a bit too much.

I would prepare and send, by certified mail, a (signed) letter demanding proof of any amount due the cruise line from you. It is outrageous for them to ask you to pay something without any evidence that you actually owe it; plus is is unreasonable for them to ask you to correct an error they made after-the-fact. But you need to get your ducks in a row and prove that you are corresponding with them about the issue.

that this problem be cleared up.

Martha, guest relations supervisor who called me last night said that they had researched it and that it was not a charge for anything purchased. ]It is to correct an error that they made.

Yes, I believe that there was confusion on their part.

Can you elaborate on this?? I'm not followiing here...You have the price of your cruise, which is paid before you get on the ship and your sail & sign. What else is there???

Can you elaborate on this?? I'm not followiing here...You have the price of your cruise, which is paid before you get on the ship and your sail & sign. What else is there???

Martha from Carnival says that at some point a credit of $144.27 was made to my account in error.

I don't know any details about this credit.

On this cruise there were two price reductions and an upgrade before hand.

And on the cruise itself there was a refund of the fuel supplement and a refund for a missed port.

I don't know.

She said that she would get back to me in a few days and that the documentation would be sent.

Still, at this point in time it seems like it is a bit late to be trying to get the horse back in the barn.

My advice,

Try to work it out with Carnival on your own. If that doesn't work, ignore them. So what if they turn you over to collections. Nobody in their right mind will sue you for $144.00 That wouldn't even cover the filing fee for the lawsuit. (Ok, well, maybe in small claims it would, but you get the point) The worst that happens is you get a few annoying phone calls.

Definitely don't ignore them - unfortunately many companies can and will file a judgment against you for ANY amount of money you owe. I work the mortgage business and see credit reports all day long. I have seen way too many people denied for a loan (especially now that lending standards are a lot tougher than they used to be) because of little $50 or $100 judgments placed by creditors who did file the court case. This type of thing can ruin your credit.

To the OP- good luck, I would make some phone calls but also send a certified letter. Email is too easy to ignore or get lost in cyberspace. I wouldn't pay a dime until I had proof and even then you may have a fight on your hands.

If it ever does go to collections and shows up on your credit report, disputes are easier said than done. Sometimes you win, sometimes they side with the creditor even when you think they shouldn't. If Carnival can produce some obscure ticket contract language in a dispute about further charges it will go their way. You can leave a note on your credit file explaining your side but this will not help raise your score. And just as an FYI - many lenders now require all judgments paid before you can borrow any type of money and potential employers also pull credit and often not hire those with credit smudges. Good luck to you and fight to keep this off your credit report!:)

Martha from Carnival says that at some point a credit of $144.27 was made to my account in error.

Then she needs to provide you proof of that, simple as that. If in fact a credit was made to your account, it would show up on your S&S statement you received at the end of the trip. It would also show up in any accounting system they use, and they could easily print off a copy of that and send it to you. The fact that she's being very vague about what the charge is, combined with refusal to send any documentation, makes me question anything as well.

Keep a record of all e-mails and phone calls regarding the situation, as well as all receipts and payments made on them. Based on what you have, and their refusal to send any proof you owe the money, they don't have a leg to stand on. They can send you to collections all they want, but if they have no proof you owe the money, a simple dispute with the collection agency (if it comes to that - hopefully it doesn't!) will get that taken care of pretty quick.

I would also recommend trying to get someone on the phone higher up than Martha. If she's not getting it done, continue to find someone else to talk to until they can actually be of any assistance.

I'd suggest that you send a registered letter to Carnival Operations at the Miami Corporate Address briefly indicating the situation, the persons you've received communications with, and the facts that you departed the ship PAID IN FULL and that no one has provided itemization or receipts for the money they're requesting. I'd start dealing with people other than (and hopefully above) those who've contacted you. Ken

I think it sounds fishy as well but here is what I would do....

I would send registered mail to Carnival with a copy of the letter they sent you and your copies showing your paid bill in full.

If they don't respond to that with an itemized bill and explanation then I would ignore them completely.

Don't be afraid of the collection threat. The credit reporting agencies have come along way in the last couple of years. If they do put a collection on your credit report you can now appeal that collection right on line through their website. They will put a "freeze" on that collection until the company that sent it in can prove they have legitimate reason to collect. You have proof you were paid in full so the collection will likely be removed by the bureau and Carnival will have no chance of collecting that money.

Good luck!

And on the cruise itself there was a refund of the fuel supplement and a refund for a missed port.

I don't know.

She said that she would get back to me in a few days and that the documentation would be sent.

Still, at this point in time it seems like it is a bit late to be trying to get the horse back in the barn.

Thanks for the clarification :)

I'm sorry you have to go through all this aggravation.....what a PITA!

I think it sounds fishy as well but here is what I would do....

I would send registered mail to Carnival with a copy of the letter they sent you and your copies showing your paid bill in full.

If they don't respond to that with an itemized bill and explanation then I would ignore them completely.

Don't be afraid of the collection threat. The credit reporting agencies have come along way in the last couple of years. If they do put a collection on your credit report you can now appeal that collection right on line through their website. They will put a "freeze" on that collection until the company that sent it in can prove they have legitimate reason to collect. You have proof you were paid in full so the collection will likely be removed by the bureau and Carnival will have no chance of collecting that money.

Good luck!

Nononono, no online disputes, especially with collection agencies!!! That's the WORST thing you can do. Dispute with the CA themselves if it comes to that, your best protections are to get the CA directly to prove the debt to you within 30 days of them first contacting you/placing something on your report.

I don't know.

I agree with your earlier post in which you state that you aked Carnival to put everything in writing. Phone calls at this point will not help you in court.

I would send a certified letter to them with a copy of the letter that they sent to you stating that you are requesting an itemized statement outlining all charges owed. I would also state that you are disputing any balance owed based on the documentation they sent you thus far.

Keep copies of this paperwork safe and do not lose the certified letter received receipt. This is very important.

They can not make you pay a bill you don't owe but you need to document every attempt to communicate with them in case this is sent to collections. Please let us know how everything turns out.

OP mentions he wanted to book a shore excursion, I thought cruises to nowhere had no stops?????

It wasn't scheduled as a cruise to nowhere. I think the date he sailed the ship has problems and canceled one port and shortened the other. I know at the very least they did cancel one as the OP states in on of the replies that a credit was received for a canceled port.

IMHO they have no business demanding funds from you after-the-fact for an error they made. I'd still strongly advise sending a letter by certified mail and including a copy of your fully paid invoice. Document everything and I expect they will back down.

If I said I represented GCahill would you send me the money? Ignore it but do keep an eagle eye out for unusual charges to any credit card you may have used on the ship and then dispute if you are suspicious. It sounds like a scam don't be gullible and taken in.

For those of you who are saying to forget it and if it does go to a collections agency it can be taken care of easily, that if not the best advice to give someone. If something goes onto your credit, it's a pain in the butt to try to get removed, even if it's a false claim. We're going through that right now with a hospital who sent us to a collections agency even after paid. We started dealing with this in November and it's still not off. It's not as easy as you people think it is. Every time you contact them, it takes up 45 days for them to produce results. That could screw someone out of a loan or job. Don't take the chances with your credit and try to get this fixed before they send it to a collections agency.

Archived