Skagway Chilkoot Charters & Tours

KansasScrapper

Which one of their tours are you looking at? We took the 3.5 hour train/bus tour and it was very good, enjoyed it thoroughly. There are other longer tours that others can comment on if you are thinking about one of those.

Did the 7 hour (?) - train to Frazer, B.C. and then a nice, small bus (about 20 passengers) to Emerald Lake and Carcross, Yukon Terr. Had a nice time and would recommend it. The weather turned awful on the way back - I was glad we had Sean driving as he's done that road many times and you couldn't see 20 feet for the fog!:eek:

Did the 7 hour (?) - train to Frazer, B.C. and then a nice, small bus (about 20 passengers) to Emerald Lake and Carcross, Yukon Terr. Had a nice time and would recommend it. The weather turned awful on the way back - I was glad we had Sean driving as he's done that road many times and you couldn't see 20 feet for the fog!:eek:

7 hr tour price for this year $175pp. im not sure what the other prices are. im booked for the 7 hr tour and cant wait to do it. the lunch sounds really good to and you get a free pass to a museum.

7 hr tour price for this year $175pp. im not sure what the other prices are. im booked for the 7 hr tour and cant wait to do it. the lunch sounds really good to and you get a free pass to a museum.

dustyroad, the food wasn't anything special and the museum is "interesting" (mostly taxidermy- as in stuffed, dead animals)....wouldn't say either is in the top 100 experiences I've had in my 2 trips to Alaska!:p

dustyroad, the food wasn't anything special and the museum is "interesting" (mostly taxidermy- as in stuffed, dead animals)....wouldn't say either is in the top 100 experiences I've had in my 2 trips to Alaska!:p

im sorry you didnt enjoy it. maybe when i go the food will be better. and i live with hunters so i am used to stuffed things hanging around :D. im sure i will have a great time. thanks for the tip.

My fiance is a hunter and loves looking at stuffed, dead animals, so he's actually looking forward to that. I just want to see the puppies!

In 2008 we did the 7 hour train, then 15 passenger van to Carcross and van back to Skagway - the lunch was good and plentiful; Emerald Lake was spectacular; the dog sled dogs were cute, but not exactly friendly. Chilkoot was on time, their vans were very nice, our driver, Larry was both entertaining and knowledgeable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We've booked with them again to go fishing.

Ya Ya

In 2008 we did the 7 hour train, then 15 passenger van to Carcross and van back to Skagway - the lunch was good and plentiful; Emerald Lake was spectacular; the dog sled dogs were cute, but not exactly friendly. Chilkoot was on time, their vans were very nice, our driver, Larry was both entertaining and knowledgeable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We've booked with them again to go fishing.

Ya Ya

We also have this tour booked. What food were you given for lunch? Was it in a restaurant, outside, buffet or what?

Thanks for the information.

I know we'd have to arrange for our own ferry over to Skagway early in the morning and they may already be taken. Would we be "safer" to go with the HAL tour in this case? I haven't done any price checking yet since I'm waiting to hear what the rest of our party wants to do.

Along these same lines -- does anyone have a recommendation regarding just staying at Haines and sightseeing on our own versus going across the pond to Skagway? Is there more/less to see and do at one dock over the other? I know the Red Onion would be fun to hit for a while...;)

Thank you,

Rene

"NeilFan"

I know we'd have to arrange for our own ferry over to Skagway early in the morning and they may already be taken. Would we be "safer" to go with the HAL tour in this case? I haven't done any price checking yet since I'm waiting to hear what the rest of our party wants to do.

Along these same lines -- does anyone have a recommendation regarding just staying at Haines and sightseeing on our own versus going across the pond to Skagway? Is there more/less to see and do at one dock over the other? I know the Red Onion would be fun to hit for a while...;)

Thank you,

Rene

"NeilFan"

Last year we were in Haines, and we rented a car and drove on the Haines Highway into the Yukon. When we got back to Haines we drove south of town about as far as the road went. I can't say we say much of the town of Haines, but the area was very pretty.

We also have this tour booked. What food were you given for lunch? Was it in a restaurant, outside, buffet or what?

Thanks for the information.

Lunch was at Caribou Crossing where they have the dogs and the museum. See my earlier post about the contents of the museum.;)

Lunch was a buffet - barbecue chicken (actually chicken baked with barbecue sauce on it), beans, cole slaw, bread and cobbler. Served on paper plates. Everyone sits at long picnic tables. It will not be the best or the worst meal you have ever eaten in your life.:)

P.S. I did not eat the chicken - didn't even have them put it on my plate - because it's a thigh and leg and I don't do dark meat on chicken.

Yep.....the...."beans, cole slaw, bread and cobbler" part.

:D

Sounds okay with me :D I want to see the puupies and enjoy the the train ride, The food is just an extra.

Did you feel you had enough time at the stop to see the mesuem, play with the puppies, eat and do a cart ride? I'm worrying we will be rushed. Thanks

I was poking around the Chilkoot website and didn't see any prices, which I know is not unusual. A PP said that the 7-hour trip is $175 this year. Can anyone tell me how much the 3.5 hour tour currently is? I'm not booking yet because we aren't going until 2010 and don't have a date yet, but I'd like to start planning the budget! :eek:

Also, what are the "kids prices" for both tours? Is it a lot less? We will have 3 that qualify as kids, so using the right numbers to plan might help me decide which tour, since full price for 6 on the longer tour would be over $1000!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I was poking around the Chilkoot website and didn't see any prices, which I know is not unusual. A PP said that the 7-hour trip is $175 this year. Can anyone tell me how much the 3.5 hour tour currently is? I'm not booking yet because we aren't going until 2010 and don't have a date yet, but I'd like to start planning the budget! :eek:

Also, what are the "kids prices" for both tours? Is it a lot less? We will have 3 that qualify as kids, so using the right numbers to plan might help me decide which tour, since full price for 6 on the longer tour would be over $1000!

PHXscuba

Last summer the adult price for the 3.5 hour tour was $118.65 and the kids price was $76.65 (12 and under). They do not post prices on the website, you will have to email them to enquire and they will email you promptly with a reply. I'm sure by 2010 the price will be higher than this.

neecee

We did the same tour and had the same kind of fog on the way back. I had to close my eyes!! Other than that, it was one of the best tours of our Alaska trip!

I wouldn't say that lunch stop is the highlight of the tour. It's about the amazing scenery more than anything else. Some of the pictures from that day are the most spectacular of our three week vacation!

Last summer the adult price for the 3.5 hour tour was $118.65 and the kids price was $76.65 (12 and under). They do not post prices on the website, you will have to email them to enquire and they will email you promptly with a reply. I'm sure by 2010 the price will be higher than this.neecee

I don't understand why they don't just "post" their prices. Everywhere else I look prices for tours are right on the web site. For me I'll book elsewhere.

PHXscuba

Just got the prices from Chilkoot yesterday. I'll paste their price info.

BUS & RAIL EXCURSIONS

We currently have 4 combination bus and rail excursions.

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway by bus

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $175.00 Adult $120.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride

Same as #2 above plus dogsled ride included in this package

Cost: $206.00 Adults $153.00 Child (12 & Under)

4) Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion (May 22 – September 2, 2009)

Duration: 9 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $228 Adult $152 Child (12 & Under) (Plus 5% sales tax)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays/Lunch Included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett – 2 hours by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

(This excursion operates in the reverse order on Wednesday and Sunday.)

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions. Reservations may be made by visiting our web site at www.chilkootcharters.com and completing our online reservation form. Once we receive a reservation request, we will respond with an email confirmation that includes meeting and pickup instructions.

Archived