Med Islands-Which are must see vs. not so much

I would like to plan our first cruise in the Med. I am sure like most places, some island stops are better than others. I would probably choose my cruise line based on itinerary. For those of you with Med experience, can you comment on which islands are a must see vs. those that you would pass on. Thanks.

Glen

It depends greatly on what kind of traveler you are. Are you into history and museums? Food? Scenery? Beaches? Shopping?

For those who are interested in ancient history, I think Rome, Naples (Pompeii and Herculaneum), Kusadasi (Ephesus), Athens, and Istanbul are musts. Alexandria and Port Said in Egypt are occasional ports of call on Mediterranean itineraries, giving you a chance to see the pyramids and other wonders of Egypt.

Not far behind these I'd also include Crete, Mykonos (for Delos), and Katakolon (Olympia).

If you like scenery, the Greek isles (particularly Santorini) are gorgeous, and the Amalfi Coast (accessible from Naples or some smaller ships call in at Positano, I think....) is not to be missed.

Sailing into or out of Venice is a "must do" (I hear, haven't done that yet....:)).

Gee, Cruisermom is right. It all depends on what you are looking for.

At the top of the page (orange bar area) is a link to PORTS.

There is a ton of info on all the stops you might encounter and I think a good place to start looking at which ones you might like to go to. Also there are a vast array of travel books and online information by the tons.

Once you have a good idea of the places you want to see/visit - then you need to look at each cruiseline and their different offerings. This could take some time - but it sounds like you want to get it right.

Our first cruise: Rome - Naples(amalfi coast) - Dubrovnik - Corfu - Livorno(Florence/Pisa) - Nice(Monte Carlo) - Toulon (Provence) and Barcelona.

I loved them all !!!! One or two were more outstanding than the others.... but each different and unique.

Our next cruise (coming up !) Rome - Santorini - Mykonos - Istanbul - Ephesus - Athens - Naples - Rome. Can't wait on this one....... all ports I have a great desire to see/visit.

So.... make a list of ports in order of most importance after you do your research and then pick the cruise that has the most places on your list .

Voila'

I have been reading several boards to also gain information on Med Cruises. The one I am settling in on, is a 7 Day Med on the Voyager following up with the TA back to the states ) b2b). This gives us a sampling of the med without being to Port intensive, then a relaxing voyage home and short flight out of Houston to Calif. I have considered the Navigator, but their Med Dates right now are not close to their TA dates to do a b2b.

Our 2008 cruise favorites were: Portofino, really beautiful, but we were the only ship in port and only 650 passengers so that was great. We also liked Santorini. We used a private tour and he took us where we wanted. It is a beautiful island. Truly one of our trip highlights.

I know some people didn't like Delos, but we did. Outstanding ruins.

Mykonos was pretty. We loved Rhodes. We did a tour to Lindos then came back and spent the afternoon in the old town. Lots to see.

Monte Carlo was very interesting but we also went to Eze. Beautiful views from the high hills. The Med is absolutely beautiful from here.

Sorrento. One of the best ports. We did a tour to Pompeii from here. The ride around the Bay was spectacular. The Bay of Naples is beautiful. Pompeii is something that you cannot miss if you are near it.

This year we are going to Venice, Malta, Tunisia, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Marseille, Florence, and Rome.

As others have said, it really depends on what you like. One person's WOW port will be another's so-so port. For us even a so-so port was still worth visiting. Find your must sees and then look for something that hits as many of those as you can.

It's a bit like getting presents when you were a child. Each one is new and exciting and you don't quite know what you are getting till you open it. What a wonderful feeling. I agree with all the previous posts and have to say on our Grand Mediterranean (from Princess) last year I LOVED all the ports but my most favourite were Venice, Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul and Barcelona. Perhaps because they were new to me with the exception of Venice. I felt like I was getting one gift after another!! So pick the places you have always dreamed of visiting and hopefully find them all in one cruise! Enjoy yourself!:D

For those here who have done Med Cruises, the VOS for 2010, on their 7 day will be visiting, from Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Livorno (Florence), Nice, Marceilles. What are your opinions of those ports, they look like wonderful places to see. The TA a week later, will stop at Cartegena, Funchal, Portugal, Tenerife, 6 Sea Days, Nassau, 2 Sea Days, Galveston. I was selecting this one because it gives us a short flight back to Calif. The 2010 dates are latter part of Oct thru Nov for both.

We absolutely loved Ephesus . . . more than we ever expected. But our favorite was our sail-away from Venice last year. Standing on the deck of the ship listening to Andre Bocelli on the loudspeakers, and watching as we left Venice was something I will never forget.

Good luck choosing!

We did your same Voyager itinerary in 2006. It was fabulous, and we loved everything about each port - except never enough time. With the TA btb it sounds like you've got an ideal trip:)

We're off this summer on the Ruby Princess to fill in the gaps with their Mediterranean and Greek Isles itinerary. 3 days pre trip in Rome and 3 days post trip in Venice. Can't wait!

Have a great cruise!

Deedee

I would like to plan our first cruise in the Med. I am sure like most places, some island stops are better than others. I would probably choose my cruise line based on itinerary. For those of you with Med experience, can you comment on which islands are a must see vs. those that you would pass on. Thanks.

Glen

Everyone's interest can be different and we will all answer here based on our personal preferences.

For some they want many of the Greece Islands on their cruise, and others well, they want to hit the more historical places; Venice, Rome, Athens, Florence, Istanbul. My personal musts aren't even islands at all most of the biggest ports of call

You might want to start here and click thru each port to find out what most interests you to build your lists: http://www.europeportreviews.com/

For those here who have done Med Cruises, the VOS for 2010, on their 7 day will be visiting, from Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Livorno (Florence), Nice, Marceilles. What are your opinions of those ports, they look like wonderful places to see. The TA a week later, will stop at Cartegena, Funchal, Portugal, Tenerife, 6 Sea Days, Nassau, 2 Sea Days, Galveston. I was selecting this one because it gives us a short flight back to Calif. The 2010 dates are latter part of Oct thru Nov for both.

Did Rome, Naples, Livorno, Nice and Barcelona on our last one. Did not do Marseilles but rather docked in Toulon (not sure why) for Provence.

My personal preference would be to leave out of Rome. This way you can add on a day or two to see Rome better. So much to see ! Amazing place. While I enjoyed Barcelona (we ended our cruise here) I would rather have more time in Rome. Just personal preference. Naples is a big city - while lots to do I would not stay there......Amalfi coast is the most stunning place I have been. Pompeii was amazing too. Livorno- went to Pisa and Florence. While I am glad we went to Pisa and saw the Leaning Tower etc.... I wish we would have had more time in Florence !!!! Loved Florence. Very comfortable feeling place. Nice was cool (we docked in Villefranche) but also visited Eze and Monte Carlo and Monaco (long day !)

Can't comment on TA ports..... I don't think I could ever do a TA - too many sea days - I cruise for the ports.

will let you know about the ports I have coming up :D I can't wait !!!

I totally agree with CruiseMom's comments. The answer to the OP really depends on the individual. For example, next month we will be returning to Ephesus for the 4th time. Many would not want to go there once but we really enjoy the ruins not to mention the interesting bazaar in nearby Kusadasi. On the other hand, while many like going to LeHavre because they want to see Paris, we have no interest in driving 6 hours round trip for 4 or 5 hours in Paris. We do love Paris, but would rather go there on a land trip where we can spend a few days and really enjoy the city. So, each needs to make their own decision based on their personal preferences.

Hank

Thanks to all who have responded. I have booked a Seabourn cruise on 9/5/09 called "Dalmatian Gems". It is a Venice to Venice round trip with stops mostly in Croatia, where my family is from. We have been to Rome, Monte Carlo, Provence, etc. several times, so when I say Greek Islands, I am more focused just on those. I know a lot of those trips round trip from Istanbul, which sounds interesting. I will "pick some brains" on my Seabourn cruise as well.

These boards are great. This is only our second cruise. First was on Celebrity in the Southern Carib. in January. We had a great time.

• 3 weeks later...
My favourite of the Greek Islands we visited were Santorini (esp Oia) and Mykonos. I would rate these above Crete and Corfu which were our other 2 Greek Island stops.

Did you take a tour of Corfu or just go into the town? We are thinking of just meandering around the town but wondering if we should be planning something more elaborate.

Thank you.

Kathy:)

We only had 1/2 day in Corfu in September, and thus simply chose to enjoy the Old Town, including climbing around the Old Fortress, visiting the lovely church (St. Spiridon), the old synagogue and just strolling around the Esplanade and shopping areas. If we had a full day there, we would have rented a car and visited the Achilleon Palace, and drive around the island for the lovely vistas as well.

We only had 1/2 day in Corfu in September, and thus simply chose to enjoy the Old Town, including climbing around the Old Fortress, visiting the lovely church (St. Spiridon), the old synagogue and just strolling around the Esplanade and shopping areas. If we had a full day there, we would have rented a car and visited the Achilleon Palace, and drive around the island for the lovely vistas as well.

Thank you; sounds like there is enough to do for 1/2 day in town. Can you see the sea from town? Thinking of finding a place to enjoy a cold drink and snack while looking at the sea if possible.

Thanks

Kathy, we did Corfu on our last Med cruise. While there is quite a bit to do in town (interesting architecture) I am glad we did a ships tour that took us all over the N end of the island. Corfu is called the "emerald isle" of Greece as it gets more rain than the others and is very very green. There are over 1 million olive trees on this island (interesting story behind that piece of trivia ;)). Stunning views, very cool seaside villages as well as mountain top ones too. Our tour gave us both......scenic rural views and time on our own in the city...... and a great Greek lunch in a sleepy seaside village restaurant (the owner did a traditional Greek dance for us)

Just food for thought :D TEX

Kathy, we did Corfu on our last Med cruise. While there is quite a bit to do in town (interesting architecture) I am glad we did a ships tour that took us all over the N end of the island. Corfu is called the "emerald isle" of Greece as it gets more rain than the others and is very very green. There are over 1 million olive trees on this island (interesting story behind that piece of trivia ;)). Stunning views, very cool seaside villages as well as mountain top ones too. Our tour gave us both......scenic rural views and time on our own in the city...... and a great Greek lunch in a sleepy seaside village restaurant (the owner did a traditional Greek dance for us)

Just food for thought :D TEX

Thanks TEX. I am going to check RCI's excursions; I am leaning towards seeing more of the island but I get a bit nervous when lots of mountains are involved. However this is likely the first and last time I will have a chance to see Corfu (my DH cycled around the island back in the 70s) so maybe I should go for it. :D

Kathy

Thanks TEX. I am going to check RCI's excursions; I am leaning towards seeing more of the island but I get a bit nervous when lots of mountains are involved. However this is likely the first and last time I will have a chance to see Corfu (my DH cycled around the island back in the 70s) so maybe I should go for it.

Kathy

Hmmm....won't lie to you. Those buses on those tiny roads with the switchbacks were definately white knuckle in places. But those drivers do it every day and know how. Perhaps you might feel more comfortable with a private tour or a taxi who will take you around to the various locations the bus goes.....

I used to be more like you and had problems with flying, elevators, scary roads on mountains etc...... but I have gotten better by making myself go anyway. Still don't particularly care for the take-off and landing part of flying but I do it to get there :D

We enjoyed Corfu. Greek people there very friendly. Beautiful island.

Thank you; sounds like there is enough to do for 1/2 day in town. Can you see the sea from town? Thinking of finding a place to enjoy a cold drink and snack while looking at the sea if possible.

Thanks

Texancruzer provides some excellent advice in the previous posts if you have the time to see some of the rest of the island. (Unfortunately, we only had a few hours there.)

The views of the sea and the town from the Old Fortress were superb, and there are some lovely benches on some little green strips on the south side of the Fortress that would be perfect for your purpose, as well as a snack stand on the north side with sea views near the small church on the Fort's grounds. That side has good sea views, but not quite as spectacular.

Of course, if you do not want to do any climbing (ramps, and a few steps) at all, the Esplanade is a huge grassy area with numerous refreshment places, but I do not think you will get any sea views from there at all. More like the old village green.

Our tour (click here) included stops in:

Athens (embarkation)

Sea Day

Istanbul

Canakkale

Santorini

Sea Day

Valetta, Malta

Sea Day

Sorrento

Cittecheveccia (Rome)

Portofino

St. Tropez (missed port/extra sea day)

Barcelona (disembarkation)

Of those, I truly enjoyed them all. If choosing one to miss, I would pick St. Tropez (which we missed anyway) and Portofino. After that, maybe Canakkale and/or Sorrento, though I really enjoyed both.

I wouldn't miss Athens, Rome, Valetta (Malta), Santorini, or Istanbul - those were all marvelous.

Others that I would like to get to include Florence, Naples, Pisa, Sicily, Venice, etc. I've also heard good things about Ephesus, and some Black Sea stops.

Edit - I see you've chosen your cruise. It sounds interesting. Where are you stopping in Croatia??

Venice is an absolute must.Dubrovnik and the Croatian islands are gorgeous as is Taormina in Sicily and the Amalfi coast.We have enjoyed all of these places and more.I wasn't particularly fond of Corfu or Trapani in Sicily.

This year we sail on Windsurf from Rome to Barcelona visiting Elba,Corsica,Sardinia,Majorca and Menorca enroute.I'm really looking forward to Elba,Corsice and Sardinia.

Archived